You just couldn't make this stuff u

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

What I find most depressing is I am not far off her age and I can't understand how someone can be so ignorant.
spot

Post by spot »

There we are. Patriotism summed up to perfection by a practitioner. I've never heard it better described.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

So do you want to import wool and sugar and bananas again from us?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

And he's a condescending Prick.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
gmc

Post by gmc »

10 minutes in.
gmc

Post by gmc »

magentaflame;1524021 wrote: So do you want to import wool and sugar and bananas again from us?

Merino wool is sold in high end sports clothing and the best wine comes from new zealand or so I have heard.

The last sailing clipper ships such as the cutty sark went from the UK and returned carrying wool.

I can just hear the brexiteers calling for the return of the good old days.
spot

Post by spot »

In 2017, approximately 40 million kilograms of wool was imported into the UK. Net. I doubt whether one bale in a hundred used in Britain is locally produced. We'd have City and Guilds in Shearing if it were otherwise. Brexit or no Brexit isn't going to have any effect on wool statistics.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1524096 wrote: In 2017, approximately 40 million kilograms of wool was imported into the UK. Net. I doubt whether one bale in a hundred used in Britain is locally produced. We'd have City and Guilds in Shearing if it were otherwise. Brexit or no Brexit isn't going to have any effect on wool statistics.

Oh yes? what about things like harris tweed (which will lose their protected status once we lave the eu) pringle sweaters and shetland wool and lakeland wool etc etc there is actually a large fashion industry in this country not to mention woolen carpets and the like.

https://makeitbritish.co.uk/top-ten/british-knitwear/

How do you think we will do exporting with 25% tariffs on it (Ithink it's 25% don't take my word for it though). The textile industry was undergoing a bit of a revival it's demise was not due to the eu.

Most british lamb is exported to the eu. British people don't like it so much.
spot

Post by spot »

gmc;1524107 wrote: Oh yes? what about things like harris tweed

If you'd like to check the Harris Tweed Act 1993 you'll see that it's defined as " handwoven by islanders at their homes in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland, finished in the Outer Hebrides, and made from pure virgin wool dyed and spun in the Outer Hebrides". The local artisans are the dyers, spinners and weavers of the Islands. I've been there, I've even talked with a few of them. The reason the Act doesn't mention the source of the pure virgin wool is that unlike the dyers, spinners and weavers, the wool is not local. The wool in the main comes from the international market. Wool production in the UK is practically non-existent when compared to the amount of wool consumed by the British knitwear industry.

No amount of tariff is going to slow down the consumption of Harris Tweed, every ounce that's made gets sold regardless of the price. Make it more expensive with tariffs and it will just get more sought after. The jacket I bought last time I was in the Tarbert outlet was £400 or so and they get no cheaper as they travel south.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1524108 wrote: If you'd like to check the Harris Tweed Act 1993 you'll see that it's defined as " handwoven by islanders at their homes in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland, finished in the Outer Hebrides, and made from pure virgin wool dyed and spun in the Outer Hebrides". The local artisans are the dyers, spinners and weavers of the Islands. I've been there, I've even talked with a few of them. The reason the Act doesn't mention the source of the pure virgin wool is that unlike the dyers, spinners and weavers, the wool is not local. The wool in the main comes from the international market. Wool production in the UK is practically non-existent when compared to the amount of wool consumed by the British knitwear industry.

No amount of tariff is going to slow down the consumption of Harris Tweed, every ounce that's made gets sold regardless of the price. Make it more expensive with tariffs and it will just get more sought after. The jacket I bought last time I was in the Tarbert outlet was £400 or so and they get no cheaper as they travel south.

OK I didn't look in to it properly. Harris tweed will face a triple whammy, higher tariffs on the imported wool, higher tariffs on the exports and the lose of eu protected status. Harris twwed almosr died out altiogether as an industry brexit is not goinbg to help it much.
spot

Post by spot »

gmc;1524115 wrote: and the lose of eu protected status.

The protection derives under the Harris Tweed Act 1993:

to register and maintain in any part of the world intellectual

property rights including patents, trade marks and other marks

and designs, and to authorise the user of such intellectual property

on such lawful terms and conditions as the Authority may think

fit;

Registered trade marking isn't an EU function and Harris Tweed, with the orb and suchlike, is protected worldwide. Anyone doing it without permission of the authorized body is counterfeiting. Their stock gets burned to discourage others.

What makes you think the EU has any overriding power that will be lost? It's like Boris and the kippers last week. It is and always has been a British decision, not a European one. The protected status isn't going to evaporate by reason of the UK leaving the EU.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1524116 wrote: The protection derives under the Harris Tweed Act 1993:

Registered trade marking isn't an EU function and Harris Tweed, with the orb and suchlike, is protected worldwide. Anyone doing it without permission of the authorized body is counterfeiting. Their stock gets burned to discourage others.

What makes you think the EU has any overriding power that will be lost? It's like Boris and the kippers last week. It is and always has been a British decision, not a European one. The protected status isn't going to evaporate by reason of the UK leaving the EU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographi ... pean_Union

What makes yo8u think anyone would pay attention to what we say? It needs international agreement for it to stick and we are about to walk away with no deal.

It's not just harris tweed that could suffer.

https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/n ... rotections

http://www.businessforscotland.com/scot ... 4257812500

"GIs were introduced by the EU in 1992, setting down measures to protect products and goods based on three categories: Protected Designation of Origin, Protected Geographical Indication and Traditional Speciality Guaranteed. The UK has 86 protected food names, including 15 Scottish products. Securing a GI for a product is likely to give that product a competitive advantage over rivals and add value to it. This is because a GI designation is seen as a guarantee of authenticity and quality and enhances the reputation of the product. In addition, GI status ensures imitation products cannot easily enter the EU market."

Harris tweed act was part of this it doesn't stand alone it's part of the benefits of being in the eu.

"Scotch whisky was worth £4.4 billion last year to the economy north of the Border and is sold in around 200 markets across the world. It accounts for more than 20% of all UK food and drink exports, with the value of exports set to grow."

There are plenty of distillers who will market their whisky as scotch or clothing manufactuirers that will sell "tweed" to take advantage of the cachet associated with the names. .
spot

Post by spot »

gmc;1524120 wrote: Harris tweed act was part of this it doesn't stand alone it's part of the benefits of being in the eu. The current Act, not to mention its predecessor pre-war Act, predated all the EU regulations for regional product protection by decades.

What puzzles me is that search as I might, I can't find any hint anywhere that an EU protected designation of origin (PDO), protected geographical indication (PGI), or traditional specialities guaranteed (TSG) designation has been applied within the EU to Harris Tweed. I'm usually quite good at that sort of search. Scotch, yes, because Scotch as a category isn't capable of being trade-marked. Why do you think Harris Tweed is subject to EU regional protection at all? I mean, you might be right but I can't turn it up if you are.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1524121 wrote: The current Act, not to mention its predecessor pre-war Act, predated all the EU regulations for regional product protection by decades.

What puzzles me is that search as I might, I can't find any hint anywhere that an EU protected designation of origin (PDO), protected geographical indication (PGI), or traditional specialities guaranteed (TSG) designation has been applied within the EU to Harris Tweed. I'm usually quite good at that sort of search. Scotch, yes, because Scotch as a category isn't capable of being trade-marked. Why do you think Harris Tweed is subject to EU regional protection at all? I mean, you might be right but I can't turn it up if you are.

My understandin is that it is now under theor umbrella. Although I could be totally wrong about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris_Tweed_Authority

"The Harris Tweed Authority was established in 1993, replacing the Harris Tweed Association under the terms of the Harris Tweed Act 1993.

In early 1990, the UK was reviewing its trade mark law with the intention of moving towards the single trade mark system for the whole European Community. The Harris Tweed Association had already faced difficulties presented by different trade mark laws in different countries, leaving the association concerned that the new trade mark laws could move direct control of their Orb Mark to the owners of the vested interests of the Harris Tweed companies. This move of control from an independent association to the commercial producers threatened an erosion of Harris Tweed's craft status and connection to the islands of the Outer Hebrides due to inevitable economic pressures to reduce costs and move production elsewhere.[5]

The association concluded the best option was to transform the association into a public law body, i.e., legal persons governed by public law with statutory functions, one of which would be safeguarding the Orb trade mark.[6]

Taking a lead from two previous Acts of Parliament, the Scotch Whisky Act 1988[7] and the Sea Fish Industry Authority under the Fisheries Act 1981,[8] both of which had set out an appropriate mechanism for the protection and promotion of a Scottish product, a proposal was submitted to the Department of Trade and Industry."

This might cheer you up.

Course some of the press are portraying it as anti-english which it actually isn't it's just anto-tory. He left by the back door to avoid the crowds.

Return to “United Kingdom”