On the Road, again

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

So, finally, all the health emergencies have been dealt with, and the SunDancer is fully functional, and we are heading off on a wandering.

I will be dropping in now and again to see how things at FG are going, but will probably not be too regular for a while.

We plan to avoid the big cites and Cold weather.

I'll let y'all know how that works out.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

On the Road, again

Post by spot »

Good luck, it's bound to be interesting.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Patsy Warnick

On the Road, again

Post by Patsy Warnick »

any particular destination? wandering is fun - pick your direction wisely.

a lot of tornado's going on - flooding in Memphis etc..

coming South?

Patsy
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

We are Eastbound, for now. The youngest Grandkid graduates in a couple of weeks in Florida. Then we wander a bit, visiting friends and family in The South for a while, and then head north for Summer in the Maritimes.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

On the Road, again

Post by tude dog »

Happy Trails To You

God Speed
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
tude dog

On the Road, again

Post by tude dog »

I dunno, looks like you are into an interesting trip.

National Mosaic - Full Resolution
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

Yeah, we've been watching that.

it's rained here for the last 40+ hours, and I'm behind on the packing.

We're supposed to see better weather tomorrow, and Saturday. Plan is to head south into Texas Saturday and get south of the Plains region before the next front comes through.

and run along behind that front.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

On the Road, again

Post by YZGI »

Keep track of the status of I-35 if you plan on going south on that highway. Also 81 is backed up because of the increased traffic from most of 35 being shut down from flooding. I know there was some damage to 35 around Wellington and that is the big problem area. You might want to get south of Kansas before heading east.
G#Gill

On the Road, again

Post by G#Gill »

All the very best to you and family, Lars, just enjoy the trip (s), take plenty of time out to rest up, and most importantly, come back safe. Look forward to seeing you back home. What a lovely way to have a long break, I'm quite envious ! You travel as and when and where you want, brilliant ! There are some advantages to being retired and a free agent !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1523054 wrote: Keep track of the status of I-35 if you plan on going south on that highway. Also 81 is backed up because of the increased traffic from most of 35 being shut down from flooding. I know there was some damage to 35 around Wellington and that is the big problem area. You might want to get south of Kansas before heading east.

So, the sun came out here, today. We packed up, and tomorrow we hit the road.

First night will be Somewhere in North Texas. Sunday the front moves east and we may be able to skate in behind it, runing between the Red River and the DFW region, and enjoy a day or so of nice weather. And find a nice high bridge across the Old Man.

Spring time on the Southern Plains is always an adventure.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

Well, weather was great all the way

We crossed the Mississippi at Greenville, MS.

A big new bridge over the flooding, and US 82 was clean and dry.

Though we horribly underestimated the time it took to stay on the back roads.

We arrived a day late and missed the festivities.

We will hang out in Sunny Florida until after Memorial Day, and the start making our way north.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

On the Road, again

Post by Ahso! »

There's lots of road construction throughout the city of Lancaster, fyi.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

On the Road, again

Post by spot »

Are you meeting friendly sociable people as you cross the continent? Perverse cranky grunters? Come in and let us feed you a roast hog with the family?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1523105 wrote: Are you meeting friendly sociable people as you cross the continent? Perverse cranky grunters? Come in and let us feed you a roast hog with the family?

Yes, we are meeting some very friendly folks.

We avoid politics. That keeps the conversations toned down.

Our home for the Month of May is pretty interesting:

https://www.lioncountrysafari.com/
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

Summer is beginning to set in.

the highs are in the mid-90s (f) and a cloud has not impeded the Sun for nearly a week.

So far the MH has been quite comfy.

We are probably 100-150 yrds from the Lions' enclave at the park, and we awake to their early morning huffing and puffing at each other.

Sadly, in the park, itself, the Lions are fenced off from the area were people drive their cars. Apparently a few years ago, some idiot decided to not only ignore the warnings against opening your windows, but he even got out of the car to go try and touch one of the critters who lay napping.

It did not turn out well for him, or his cohorts who waiting in the car.

Park personnel managed to rescue his buddies in the car before they were extracted by the angry Feline.
- DH Lawrence
spot

On the Road, again

Post by spot »

It sounds the sort of place one would remember in vivid detail.

We also had our hottest day of the year so far, the temperature peaked into the 70s. I took off my turtleneck. Jowan and I backpacked into a campsite at St Ives. We swam in the pool and then watched the sunset, and when he woke up in the morning he was eight. He swam again after we packed, then we took a long-way-round open-top sightseeing bus back home. Not exactly in the same league as touring the continent in an RV but outdoors at least. We saw no lions. Two rabbits though, if they count.
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

We are done with hangin with the grandkids, for now.

this week, we will bid adieu to the Lions and other critters and head north, following the coast to St Augustine, FL, and then to Savannah, GA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine,_Florida

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah,_Georgia
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

On the Road, again

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1523241 wrote: We are done with hangin with the grandkids, for now.

this week, we will bid adieu to the Lions and other critters and head north, following the coast to St Augustine, FL, and then to Savannah, GA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine,_Florida

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah,_Georgia

Enjoy your trip..Very jealous.
Saint_

On the Road, again

Post by Saint_ »

Drive through New Mexico...our weather forecast is nice, sunny, and pleasant. every day. forever.
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

Saint_;1523250 wrote: Drive through New Mexico...our weather forecast is nice, sunny, and pleasant. every day. forever.

Wish we could. The humidity is about to break me.

and we are working our way up the Eastern Seaboard in the heat of Summer.

Brilliant
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

On the Road, again

Post by Saint_ »

Ouch. I stayed with my wife’s cousin in Boston last summer...and they didn’t have AC! I thought I was going to die. 20% humidity is s muggy day for us.
spot

On the Road, again

Post by spot »

Saint_;1523573 wrote: Ouch. I stayed with my wife’s cousin in Boston last summer...and they didn’t have AC! I thought I was going to die. 20% humidity is s muggy day for us.

Here, look up New Mexico. I expect you've felt the changes. https://showyourstripes.info/

As for humidity, I have a hygrometer and I look at it most days in passing. It occasionally gets as high as 97%, I can't remember it ever falling below 64%. The only times I've been near air conditioning my eyes have itched, I do not like it.
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

We spent two 6-hour days covering a distance of 186 miles. The Mrs wanted to stay off the interstate Highways because traffic was intimidating.

Yesterday, we covered 385 miles in a 7-hour day, on the interstates.

Back in the West the back roads were amazing. In the East, not so much.

so a couple of weeks of hanging out on the Maine Coast.
- DH Lawrence
spot

On the Road, again

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1523715 wrote: so a couple of weeks of hanging out on the Maine Coast.

That's the bit of Canada that America administers? How are you both managing with accents?
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1523717 wrote: That's the bit of Canada that America administers? How are you both managing with accents?

Maine folks have a whole different accent and language that the folks to the North.

Though with the recent influx of people from the South (anywhere downwind of Portland)

it sounds more like New York around here now days.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

On the Road, again

Post by magentaflame »

Saint_;1523573 wrote: Ouch. I stayed with my wife’s cousin in Boston last summer...and they didn’t have AC! I thought I was going to die. 20% humidity is s muggy day for us.

yeah I know what you mean . That's why I'll never live in Queensland. I'ts not the humidity as such, it's the heat that goes with it.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1523828 wrote: yeah I know what you mean . That's why I'll never live in Queensland. I'ts not the humidity as such, it's the heat that goes with it.
It's not so bad here. Humidity has been in the mid 40's to 50's and high temps have been mostly upper 80's f.

At night, a blanket is required to sleep comfortably.

We've mostly avoided the coastal regions as this is the height of tourist season.

We will probably begin heading west soon.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

On the Road, again

Post by magentaflame »

Oh that's right it's summer there. Probably want to stay away from coastal areas anyway from what I heard about this morning. Hurricane ?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1523856 wrote: Oh that's right it's summer there. Probably want to stay away from coastal areas anyway from what I heard about this morning. Hurricane ?

That is down South a ways.

Probably 1200 miles or so. We're up in the northeast corner of the country.

Folks in Louisiana and Texas may need to watch that one.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

On the Road, again

Post by magentaflame »

huh....I saw my first snow on a beach in the north east of your country . Maine.
magentaflame

On the Road, again

Post by magentaflame »

I remember something called "a green belt?"
spot

On the Road, again

Post by spot »

That's karate, that is.

There's a lot of prairie to cross before reaching the Rockies if that's the way you're headed home. You could take tea with Tombstone.
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1523860 wrote: huh....I saw my first snow on a beach in the north east of your country . Maine.

Yep. It does snow here in the winter. We have, so far, avoided Maine that time of year.

Last night it rained almost all night. Heavy, steady rain, from sundown through morning daylight. We are under a huge Maple tree. I will have to climb up and brush the debris from the roof today.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

On the Road, again

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1523866 wrote: That's karate, that is.

There's a lot of prairie to cross before reaching the Rockies if that's the way you're headed home. You could take tea with Tombstone.

We will first have to cross the Eastern Mountains, The Appalachian range. then run along the southern edge of the Great Lakes region.

Our first stop will be Saratoga, site of the first successful military campaign of the Rebellion against Good King George.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

On the Road, again

Post by magentaflame »

are you posting pics of all this ?

Return to “The Coffee Shop”