Eindhoven...

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
theia

Eindhoven...

Post by theia »

What a dignified and respectful ceremony for the victims of MH17.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
High Threshold

Eindhoven...

Post by High Threshold »

theia;1460617 wrote: What a dignified and respectful ceremony for the victims of MH17.

Tell us more! :)
theia

Eindhoven...

Post by theia »

A day of mourning in the Netherlands.

Windmill owners have been asked to set their windmill blades to the mourning position.

At Eindhoven, the first bodies of the victims have been received and carried to the waiting hearses. All done with ceremony, dignity and respect.

Whilst this won't necessarily help the families of the victims, it makes a fitting contrast to the way in which their loved ones bodies were treated initially, which must have been horrific for them.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
AnneBoleyn

Eindhoven...

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Waiting for Chloe to see this. Thank you Theia.
High Threshold

Eindhoven...

Post by High Threshold »

theia;1460623 wrote: A day of mourning in the Netherlands.

Windmill owners have been asked to set their windmill blades to the mourning position.

At Eindhoven, the first bodies of the victims have been received and carried to the waiting hearses. All done with ceremony, dignity and respect.

Whilst this won't necessarily help the families of the victims, it makes a fitting contrast to the way in which their loved ones bodies were treated initially, which must have been horrific for them.

And the windmill "mourning position" is ... ? Blades folding in a downward postition? Can they be folding down?
theia

Eindhoven...

Post by theia »

The BBC said that the lower blade would be set slightly to the right, instead of to the left.
High Threshold

Eindhoven...

Post by High Threshold »

theia;1460628 wrote: The BBC said that the lower blade would be set slightly to the right, instead of to the left.

You mean like this:

Attached files
FourPart

Eindhoven...

Post by FourPart »

Does that mean that no water is pumped in the duration that they're like that, or is the prime pumping source no longer the traditional windmill (sorry, I'm just so out of date on these things)?
theia

Eindhoven...

Post by theia »

I know absolutely nothing about windmills but I found the symbolism very moving
Chloe_88

Eindhoven...

Post by Chloe_88 »

Fourpart, I bet there will still be a few windmills that do that (in the old villages etc).

The entire Netherlands stopped at 4 pm.

I was on a train at that time, the train pulled in quickly and we all stopped and sat in silence for one minute.

Even supermarkets and the pet shop my OH works at, locked the doors, didn't serve and held one minute of silence.

I don't know anybody personally that was involved in this terrible crash, my OH's colleague does. 3 families from his village, gone.

Theia, I think it does help people who have friends/family that have died in this crash. It is heartwarming to see that we as dutch people will as one show our repect for all of those who are in mourning right now.
theia

Eindhoven...

Post by theia »

Chloe_88;1460647 wrote: Fourpart, I bet there will still be a few windmills that do that (in the old villages etc).

The entire Netherlands stopped at 4 pm.

I was on a train at that time, the train pulled in quickly and we all stopped and sat in silence for one minute.

Even supermarkets and the pet shop my OH works at, locked the doors, didn't serve and held one minute of silence.

I don't know anybody personally that was involved in this terrible crash, my OH's colleague does. 3 families from his village, gone.

Theia, I think it does help people who have friends/family that have died in this crash. It is heartwarming to see that we as dutch people will as one show our repect for all of those who are in mourning right now.

Chloe, I saw the Eindhoven ceremony live on BBC and I was so, so moved. I am full of admiration for the way the Dutch people managed this horrific event. Everything was carried out so respectfully and with dignity, it truly was.
Chloe_88

Eindhoven...

Post by Chloe_88 »

theia;1460650 wrote: Chloe, I saw the Eindhoven ceremony live on BBC and I was so, so moved. I am full of admiration for the way the Dutch people managed this horrific event. Everything was carried out so respectfully and with dignity, it truly was.

I agree Theia, and thank you :)
Chloe_88

Eindhoven...

Post by Chloe_88 »

Here it is Fourpart

Windmolen - Wikipedia

first pic; long rest

second pic: short rest

third pic: time of joy

fourth pic: time of mourning

Although some say the meaning of pic 1 & 2 are the other way around..
FourPart

Eindhoven...

Post by FourPart »

It's a bit like Semaphore.
Chloe_88

Eindhoven...

Post by Chloe_88 »

Sort of Fourpart :)

I find it amazing that the dutch have repeated the ceremony for each day the victims have arrived in Eindhoven.

I caught a bit on the news today, it said: to put this in perspective for the USA, it would be like the USA losing 3600 americans.

In perspective... wow.... that is a very high number...

Schiphol airport is a sea of flowers and cuddly toys.. this started spontaneously according to the article..

Zee van bloemen en knuffels op Schiphol | Mh17 | Telegraaf.nl

(the lady speaking in the video was just saying how dramatic this disaster has been)
theia

Eindhoven...

Post by theia »

Chloe_88;1460738 wrote: Sort of Fourpart :)

I find it amazing that the dutch have repeated the ceremony for each day the victims have arrived in Eindhoven.

I caught a bit on the news today, it said: to put this in perspective for the USA, it would be like the USA losing 3600 americans.

In perspective... wow.... that is a very high number...

Schiphol airport is a sea of flowers and cuddly toys.. this started spontaneously according to the article..

Zee van bloemen en knuffels op Schiphol | Mh17 | Telegraaf.nl

(the lady speaking in the video was just saying how dramatic this disaster has been)

I heard that they were intending to repeat the ceremony for all the victims and, again, I find this so moving
Chloe_88

Eindhoven...

Post by Chloe_88 »

theia;1460739 wrote: I heard that they were intending to repeat the ceremony for all the victims and, again, I find this so moving

Me too.. and yes all the victims will have the same ceremony. Tomorrow another 2 planes will arrive in Eindhoven with another 38 coffins.

At least 42 victims came from the province "Brabant" where the city Eindhoven is located.
Chloe_88

Eindhoven...

Post by Chloe_88 »

Turns out the first victim has been identified, as being dutch.

I hope all victims can be identified soon and will be "reunited" with their families asap..
theia

Eindhoven...

Post by theia »

Chloe_88;1460789 wrote: Turns out the first victim has been identified, as being dutch.

I hope all victims can be identified soon and will be "reunited" with their families asap..

Chloe, I hope so too. I can't imagine the pain the families are going through
spot

Eindhoven...

Post by spot »

The criminal investigation into the crash has taken five years.

There may be an announcement tomorrow as far as responsibility is concerned.

MH17: prosecutors to identify suspects and file first charges

Five years is just ridiculous.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “General Chit Chat”