Grass

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
persephone

Grass

Post by persephone »

I need advice/suggestions please.

I have a garden, in London and I have a garden :cool:

Thing is the grass wasn't all that great, loads of weeds and not a very good root structure, so my dog eing the cross Greyhound he is, ran around in circles (not chasing a rabbit :D ) and tore up what was there. So now I have mud with no grass :(

Should I...

a) block off the grass area and plant new seeds

b) use turf (maybe very pricey)

c) something else... Open to suggestions

Whichever I do I need advice on how long not to let him on it for, grass I am clueless about.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
Tombstone

Grass

Post by Tombstone »

letha wrote: I need advice/suggestions please.

I have a garden, in London and I have a garden :cool:

Thing is the grass wasn't all that great, loads of weeds and not a very good root structure, so my dog eing the cross Greyhound he is, ran around in circles (not chasing a rabbit :D ) and tore up what was there. So now I have mud with no grass :(

Should I...

a) block off the grass area and plant new seeds

b) use turf (maybe very pricey)

c) something else... Open to suggestions

Whichever I do I need advice on how long not to let him on it for, grass I am clueless about.

Letha,

Contact your local hydro-seed company. They'll help you figure out what kind of grass you should grow. (Especially for your climate and use.)

The cost is less than turf but more than seeds. :) It works great though and you'll have new thick grass sprouting in about a week - 2 weeks.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
valerie

Grass

Post by valerie »

The problem with whatever grass you put back, is the dog can/will

potentially damage it again.

Years ago in a place we were living, we re-sodded. We kept our 70

pound gsd off of it for about six weeks. It was fine after that, but we

had created a "Big Dog Potty Spot" to one side that was just redwood

bark. And since she got almost daily long walks, she didn't run around

on it and tear it up.

The next place we lived we had the potty spot was "pea" gravel...

worked out pretty well but I know that's not for everybody.

Whatever you do, don't put down any cocoa husks. Smells great,

but can be toxic to dogs.

:yh_flower
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Lemon-Sunwing

Grass

Post by Lemon-Sunwing »

How about Synthetic Grass ? They are green all year around, and only mud with no grass will never happen after about 5-8 years, since the life span of Synthetic Grass is such long. And some color are pretty close to the real one, even your dog will not find out the difference! Below is one for your first reference~
TrueGardner

Grass

Post by TrueGardner »

Consider this as a clean slate situation. Don't think what was there, brainstorm what you can do with that place now.

I would recommend you to plant new seeds and grow some natural grass. An artificial turf is still a good option, however, planting natural grass will give you a sense of accomplishment and you might feel close to nature (I do).

First of all, use a best battery operated string trimmer, to remove any weed or remaining grass. https://homestuffpro.com/best-battery-string-trimmer/

Then use a good lawn aerator to make sure the soil has enough oxygen. https://www.thespruce.com/best-lawn-aerators-4153550

Then buy some good perennial grass seeds like(

Then after make sure to water it daily until you have a lush green grass garden.
spot

Grass

Post by spot »

That may be the first spam I've seen in fifteen years on this site which qualifies as a good answer in its own right. I'm happy to let it stand.

I've no idea how a word of mouth recommendation for three separate products can be monetized, it's got me quite puzzled.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Grass

Post by LarsMac »

I think he is just trying to help.

Though I would add that a lot of the choice for what type of grass to use is dependent upon the region.

Where we live a nice Fescue usually will do, or a mix of Fescue and Bluegrass.

But in other regions something different might be required.

These guys have a nice page, identifying five common lawn grass species though I am not sure I would buy from them. The local hardware store will usually carry good local varieties.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bondarcol

Grass

Post by Bondarcol »

I think artificial turf can be a good solution.
magentaflame

Grass

Post by magentaflame »

Kikuyu, Cooch,(couch), Comfrey.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Ali541

Re: Grass

Post by Ali541 »

After removing any weeds and Grass, it's important to aerate the soil to ensure proper growth of the new grass. This can be done using a lawn aerator, which will create small holes in the soil to allow air, water, and nutrients to reach the roots of the grass. A well-aerated lawn will have stronger and healthier grass, which will also be more resistant to drought and disease.
Betty Boop

Re: Grass

Post by Betty Boop »

Ah, not the grass I was thinking of.... :D

Return to “Gardening Forum”