Positive outcome from brexit

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Just gets better and better

You do realise an independent scotland as a member of the eu will do quite well for itself as would a unified ireland I mow think tghe break up of the united kibgdom is inevitable.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Just gets better and better still

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 60756.html

The north east of england is one of the regions that has benefiyed most from membership of the eu and suffered most from previous tory policies yet voted to leave. hard to feel any sympathy for them

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10818 ... -today-BBC+
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1522242 wrote: Just gets better and better still

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 60756.html

The north east of england is one of the regions that has benefiyed most from membership of the eu and suffered most from previous tory policies yet voted to leave. hard to feel any sympathy for them

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10818 ... -today-BBC+

That seems to be the New Human Condition

Those who will suffer the most are the most enthusiastic for the ride.

The regions of the US that suffer from the modernization of power production (Coal producers in West Virginia, for example) are the ones most in favor of the policies of the Trumpers to increase Coal production, even as the market for Coal continues to shrink.

Those who suffer from inadequate Health care are the ones most in favor of abolishing the Affordable Care Act policies (ObamaCare)
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1522246 wrote: That seems to be the New Human Condition

Those who will suffer the most are the most enthusiastic for the ride.

The regions of the US that suffer from the modernization of power production (Coal producers in West Virginia, for example) are the ones most in favor of the policies of the Trumpers to increase Coal production, even as the market for Coal continues to shrink.

Those who suffer from inadequate Health care are the ones most in favor of abolishing the Affordable Care Act policies (ObamaCare)

What I find most depressing is the willingness of so many to completely ignore any facts that conflict with what they want to believe. Rational people change their minds when they become aware of factual information or at least have the sense to look at the motives behind why someone might be telling them something. All the intellect and talent in the world and we elect politicians who are about as much use as dead budgie in a **** factory.
gmc

Post by gmc »

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-5881863

Sinn Fein the voice of reason and democracy changed days eh!

"“The only way that anyone can act in a democratic fashion is to respect consent, to respect the democratic wishes of the people of the north of Ireland and to use the Good Friday Agreement, its provisions, to guide us in the time ahead.

“So if there is a Tory crash, and Mrs May has conceded as much on the floor of the House of Commons, in that event, not alone will there be pressure for a referendum on Irish unity, there will be absolute democratic imperative to call such a referendum.”

When pressed over how May had responded to this during their meeting, McDonald said that neither the prime minister or secretary of state Karen Bradley committed to saying when or if an Irish unity poll would be called.!

There's something wrong when you have to go to al jazeera, cnn or euronews to hear anything from the celtic frinhes of the UK. This is not only going to lead to irish unification but also scottish independence all because cameron wanted to pander to the fascists in the tory party.

Meanwhile the labour party is falling apart.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 68711.html
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

gmc;1521148 wrote: If anyone can think of anything please offer it up.

It shows Britain's parliamentary arithmetic is almost evenly balanced and only time will tell the positive outcome for any side.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Mickiel;1522303 wrote: It shows Britain's parliamentary arithmetic is almost evenly balanced and only time will tell the positive outcome for any side.

No it's not. Bear in mind there are more than two parties at any given election in the UK u=nlike the states. We have a first past the post electotral system which means the one with the most votes wins but that might be only 30% 0f the votes which means 70% actively voted against the MP they actrually get but he gets the seat because he got the most votes. Most MP's in the hoiuse do not have the majority of their electorate voting for them. For the last forty years or so especially with the tories we have had governments that most people do not want. UKIP is the british nazi party in pretty clothing.

The scottish parliament has proportional representation that the snp can form a government speaks volumes for their support. The DUP in Northern Ireland do not have the support of northern ireland which voted overwhelmingly to remain. The next electionn could well see them wiped out.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

gmc;1522304 wrote: No it's not. Bear in mind there are more than two parties at any given election in the UK u=nlike the states. We have a first past the post electotral system which means the one with the most votes wins but that might be only 30% 0f the votes which means 70% actively voted against the MP they actrually get but he gets the seat because he got the most votes. Most MP's in the hoiuse do not have the majority of their electorate voting for them. For the last forty years or so especially with the tories we have had governments that most people do not want. UKIP is the british nazi party in pretty clothing.

The scottish parliament has proportional representation that the snp can form a government speaks volumes for their support. The DUP in Northern Ireland do not have the support of northern ireland which voted overwhelmingly to remain. The next electionn could well see them wiped out.

Well I am sure you know far more about it than I. I am an outsider but Brexit interest me , Britain's exiting.. I never viewed it as two parties , but two choices. Leave or stay. I think they should leave , it would make the world more interesting.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Mickiel;1522305 wrote: Well I am sure you know far more about it than I. I am an outsider but Brexit interest me , Britain's exiting.. I never viewed it as two parties , but two choices. Leave or stay. I think they should leave , it would make the world more interesting.

Well actually yes I do. There are four political parties in westminster with a token green MP. The scots government at the moment is a coalition of snp and the green party with labour and tory in opposition.

Brexit is beyond interesting for us it would be an economic and political disaster. The UK is aboput to cease being a world power, lose it's seat on the security council and become a somewhat quaint island off the coast of europe clinging to the trappings of it's once notable past.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

gmc;1522306 wrote: Well actually yes I do. There are four political parties in westminster with a token green MP. The scots government at the moment is a coalition of snp and the green party with labour and tory in opposition.

Brexit is beyond interesting for us it would be an economic and political disaster. The UK is aboput to cease being a world power, lose it's seat on the security council and become a somewhat quaint island off the coast of europe clinging to the trappings of it's once notable past.

Are you suggesting Britain's power comes from Europe?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Mickiel;1522307 wrote: Are you suggesting Britain's power comes from Europe?

Britain's power does not come from Europe but the disruption that will be caused by an unplanned exit (and whatever form of exit we finally get will effectively be unplanned due to the confusion and ineptitude of the past thirty months) from the status quo that we have been forty years in building will destroy what power we do have.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Bryn Mawr;1522315 wrote: Britain's power does not come from Europe but the disruption that will be caused by an unplanned exit (and whatever form of exit we finally get will effectively be unplanned due to the confusion and ineptitude of the past thirty months) from the status quo that we have been forty years in building will destroy what power we do have.

That's strange, I thought Britain did more to establish Europe than the other way around. I was under the impression that Britain was the power behind European status quo?

I'm just asking?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Mickiel;1522316 wrote: That's strange, I thought Britain did more to establish Europe than the other way around. I was under the impression that Britain was the power behind European status quo?

I'm just asking?

No, Britain was late to the party. The EU was mostly set up by France and Germany and when we first applied we were vetoed by France. It was only in 1974 after a referendum that our application was accepted and the Conservative party has been divided over our membership ever since.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Bryn Mawr;1522317 wrote: No, Britain was late to the party. The EU was mostly set up by France and Germany and when we first applied we were vetoed by France. It was only in 1974 after a referendum that our application was accepted and the Conservative party has been divided over our membership ever since.

Wow , I didn't know that.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Bryn Mawr;1522317 wrote: No, Britain was late to the party. The EU was mostly set up by France and Germany and when we first applied we were vetoed by France. It was only in 1974 after a referendum that our application was accepted and the Conservative party has been divided over our membership ever since.

I think I am prejudiced toward Britain , I tend to think they conquered everyone they are in partnership with in some kind of war resulting in colonization. Or some kind of trickery. I kind of view them as historical slavers, now wanting to exit countries they couldn't enslave.

I never liked the negative things they did to Africa. They never excited Africa , it's more like they got kicked out. So I am of the mindset that Britain leaving a country is a good thing.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Mickiel;1522325 wrote: I think I am prejudiced toward Britain , I tend to think they conquered everyone they are in partnership with in some kind of war resulting in colonization. Or some kind of trickery. I kind of view them as historical slavers, now wanting to exit countries they couldn't enslave.

I never liked the negative things they did to Africa. They never excited Africa , it's more like they got kicked out. So I am of the mindset that Britain leaving a country is a good thing.

We know our own history very well but there are always those who want to pretend everything was for the best. They like to celebrate us ending the slave trade but carefully forget to mention who started it. What ended slavery in our colonies in 1933 was not altruism rather the sugar barons lost their market (thanks to sugar beet) and couldd no longer bribe enough MP's. Britain was good for africa because we weren't as nasty as the french and germans etc etc. Winston churchill gets lionised but someone beveridge gets forgotten about.

I don't feel any need to apologise for the past and there is much to proud of but we should put aside the rose tinted spectacles. Our leading brexiteers are delusional idiots that think the world owes us a living.

Actually there isn't a nation on the planet that hasn't got something in the past they like to pretend never happened eg. wounded knee, or the jim crow laws.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

I used to hate to see African judges wearing curly white wigs , it used to bug me to death. Blacks swallowed too much from Britain , way too much.
gmc

Post by gmc »

You should do some reading up on how the curse of ham was twisted in to a moral justification for black slavery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Ham

If all humans are descended from adam and eve you have to find some way to justify the enslavement of a whole people.

Completely off topic but never mind. Once the UKmceases to be a nuclear power - the odds on us being able to afford replacing trident are not looking good. Also if the United Kingdom no longer exists as an entity where then the seat on the secirity council.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

gmc;1522351 wrote: You should do some reading up on how the curse of ham was twisted in to a moral justification for black slavery.

If all humans are descended from adam and eve you have to find some way to justify the enslavement of a whole people : :

Yes the historical excuses for degrading blacks are being revealed and I have never liked the ease at which my race has been ijsulted in such historical manners. It helped ignite some of my racism. And British colonization of other races was ingenious , I still hold grudges against her.

That is one reason why I would like to see them exit Europe, their hands have too much blood on them. And that unseen British attitude is always lurking.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Mickiel;1522352 wrote: [QUOTE=gmc;1522351]You should do some reading up on how the curse of ham was twisted in to a moral justification for black slavery.

If all humans are descended from adam and eve you have to find some way to justify the enslavement of a whole people : :

Yes the historical excuses for degrading blacks are being revealed and I have never liked the ease at which my race has been ijsulted in such historical manners. It helped ignite some of my racism. And British colonization of other races was ingenious , I still hold grudges against her.

That is one reason why I would like to see them exit Europe, their hands have too much blood on them. And that unseen British attitude is always lurking.

I wonder how Britain and "social class" has already affected Europe. Its views on heterosexual marriage and such. I would like to visit Europe.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Mickiel;1522353 wrote: I wonder how Britain and "social class" has already affected Europe. Its views on heterosexual marriage and such. I would like to visit Europe.

I think you would not find it as you expect it to be.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Bryn Mawr;1522356 wrote: I think you would not find it as you expect it to be.

I have no expectations of it.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Mickiel;1522357 wrote: I have no expectations of it.

But I know it got whitewashed in history by British influence. America got whitewashed even more.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Mickiel;1522352 wrote: :

They were mainly economic reasons they've never actually been hidden people just like to gloss over them. The british were by no means the only ones at it, as it were, we were just surprisingly good at it punching well above out weight. Manifest destiny is little different from the aryan super race of hitler. White supremacists in the US have much in common with white supremacists in germany. Religion and political elites have often worked/gone hand in hand to exploit those who needed to be exploited for the benefit of said elites.

Brexit will be a disaster for the UK and europe aa well weakening it considerable in the face of renewed threats from russia at a time whem the US under trump looks likely to pull out of nato and withdraw US troops from europe. It's no wonder Putin is cheering on trump and farage.

you seem to have an odd way of looking at things. Out of curiosity do you know any black people who are actually from africa and still living there or who left recently?

To get back to the topic of the thread

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17422 ... in-the-uk/

OK that would solve the problem of the irish backstop. Can'y wait yill they get to the issue of the english scottish border. Methinks they should take a leaf out of donald trumps book. Build a great wall and make the engklish pay for it. Maybe they should rebuild hadrians's wall
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

gmc;1522364 wrote: They were mainly economic reasons they've never actually been hidden people just like to gloss over them. The british were by no means the only ones at it, as it were, we were just surprisingly good at it punching well above out weight. Manifest destiny is little different from the aryan super race of hitler. White supremacists in the US have much in common with white supremacists in germany. Religion and political elites have often worked/gone hand in hand to exploit those who needed to be exploited for the benefit of said elites.

Brexit will be a disaster for the UK and europe aa well weakening it considerable in the face of renewed threats from russia at a time whem the US under trump looks likely to pull out of nato and withdraw US troops from europe. It's no wonder Putin is cheering on trump and farage.

you seem to have an odd way of looking at things. Out of curiosity do you know any black people who are actually from africa and still living there or who left recently?

To get back to the topic of the thread

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17422 ... in-the-uk/

OK that would solve the problem of the irish backstop. Can'y wait yill they get to the issue of the english scottish border. Methinks they should take a leaf out of donald trumps book. Build a great wall and make the engklish pay for it. Maybe they should rebuild hadrians's wall

Britain has made a living poking into the affairs of others, but it has matured along the way. But if it keeps the habit of fighting who America fights , then it's going to spell them trouble. And if men like Trump keep getting elected , then Britain will have a partner if Brexit goes through.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Mickiel;1522366 wrote: Britain has made a living poking into the affairs of others, but it has matured along the way. But if it keeps the habit of fighting who America fights , then it's going to spell them trouble. And if men like Trump keep getting elected , then Britain will have a partner if Brexit goes through.

"Out of curiosity do you know any black people who are actually from africa and still living there or who left recently?"

You never answered my question.

Which doers rather help make my point. Anyone? positive outcome from brexit?

Irish unification and sottish independence spring to mind. If brexit happens I think both these things will happen.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

gmc;1522370 wrote: "Out of curiosity do you know any black people who are actually from africa and still living there or who left recentl

You never answered my question

No I don't.
gmc

Post by gmc »

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-5888872

Methinks parallel universe is equally apt.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Doubt you will see this on the bbc

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17464 ... exit-ship/

What is never mentioned is that brexit will probably mean the end of the united kingdom as a politial entity.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Hope this link works

So far as I have been able to check someone in toryland did actually say this.
gmc

Post by gmc »

SNP conference in april looks like indyref 2 will be announced
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Whether Scotland decides to go Independent or not makes no difference. They're still going to be out of the EU - and then they'll need to apply for Membership, and by that time, the way the EU's going, by the time they come to apply for membership the EU might not exist any more. Then, of course, there would come the question of the Hard Border with Scotland. To say nothing of the cessation of UK funding.

Independence For Scotland. A win win situation for the rest of the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1522562 wrote: Whether Scotland decides to go Independent or not makes no difference. They're still going to be out of the EU - and then they'll need to apply for Membership, and by that time, the way the EU's going, by the time they come to apply for membership the EU might not exist any more. Then, of course, there would come the question of the Hard Border with Scotland. To say nothing of the cessation of UK funding.

Independence For Scotland. A win win situation for the rest of the UK.

You need to stop reading the daily mail. It would be easy enough for us to rejoin the eu. We are not sudsidised by england that is just one opf the myths in fact we contribute over 13% to the UK's GDP and receive less than 8% back. We trade more with europe than we do with england much of it goes throiugh english ports - whisky alone is 20% of all UK food and drink exports from the UK and brexit will put an end to the protection sotch whisky has within the eu. The whisky association supported a no vote in 2014 now they have changed their minds.

The westminster establishment are terrified of losing scotland. We'd be OK I:m not so sure about england - you'd be out of the security council at the un and will have to find somewhere else for your nuclear subs.

As to the hard border that will be up to westminster to make it an issue or not. The fact that the snp MP's in westminster are completely ignored and jeered at by the tories and labour does not do well in scotland. They are the third largest poliotical party in westminster have more members than either the lib dems or tories but you wouldn;t know that if you judged it by the number of times you see a scots mp reported about in the mainstream media.

We are a seperate entity within the so called UK it's becoming mare and more apparent we need to get out of it altogether.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

gmc;1522566 wrote: You need to stop reading the daily mail. It would be easy enough for us to rejoin the eu. We are not sudsidised by england that is just one opf the myths in fact we contribute over 13% to the UK's GDP and receive less than 8% back. We trade more with europe than we do with england much of it goes throiugh english ports - whisky alone is 20% of all UK food and drink exports from the UK and brexit will put an end to the protection sotch whisky has within the eu. The whisky association supported a no vote in 2014 now they have changed their minds.

The westminster establishment are terrified of losing scotland. We'd be OK I:m not so sure about england - you'd be out of the security council at the un and will have to find somewhere else for your nuclear subs.

As to the hard border that will be up to westminster to make it an issue or not. The fact that the snp MP's in westminster are completely ignored and jeered at by the tories and labour does not do well in scotland. They are the third largest poliotical party in westminster have more members than either the lib dems or tories but you wouldn;t know that if you judged it by the number of times you see a scots mp reported about in the mainstream media.

We are a seperate entity within the so called UK it's becoming mare and more apparent we need to get out of it altogether.

As I said before, I've no problem with Scotland getting its independence. Just so long as you work out what your currency is going to be, because it won't be the Pound, and there's no way it's going to be the Euro until such time as you get to enter the EU - if the EU even still exists by that time. The North Sea Oil wells are running dry, and most of them are owned by other countries and English investment. As for the Hard Border. Well, just keep an eye on how simple the Irish Border issue is. A Scottish Border would be no different.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

It's all a shambles and I am embarrassed to be watching this farce.

Packing my bags to move to Scotland.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

The word 'Brexit' has become a swearword to me. I'm so fed up with brexit mentioned at length every time I switch on the news. I have just switched myself off from it. They'll damn well do what they like any way, regardless of what the electorate have said or will say.. So I think to myself, what's the point. Nobody listens, nobody cares only to line their own pockets. They're all a load of self-seeking wallies in Parliament.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

G#Gill;1522596 wrote: The word 'Brexit' has become a swearword to me. I'm so fed up with brexit mentioned at length every time I switch on the news. I have just switched myself off from it. They'll damn well do what they like any way, regardless of what the electorate have said or will say.. So I think to myself, what's the point. Nobody listens, nobody cares only to line their own pockets. They're all a load of self-seeking wallies in Parliament.

Totally agree, a complete farce from start to finish!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The biggest farce is that the majority of the country voted to Leave. The majority of Parliamentary constituencies voted to Leave. Yet the vast majority of MPs are pro-Remain.

Funny - I always thought the job of an MP was to represent the wishes of their constituents.
gmc

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1522619 wrote: The biggest farce is that the majority of the country voted to Leave. The majority of Parliamentary constituencies voted to Leave. Yet the vast majority of MPs are pro-Remain.

Funny - I always thought the job of an MP was to represent the wishes of their constituents.

Represent yes but they are not delegates. supposedly they are in a position to look at what is presented to them and make decsions in the best interests of their constituencieds. What have at the moment is rule by an unelected prime minister. parliament is soviereign not the prime minister for her to deliberately bypass parliament is not the way our parliamentary systen is supposed to work. We have essentially had an elected dictatorship for the lasy thiorty years or so.

We have a first past the pot system which means the one with the most votes get elected, typically most of the electorate vote against the candidate who actually win.

Turnout at the referendum was just under 73%, that means only 34% of the electorate actrually voted to leave. For something so important there should have been set a minimum level of the electorate voting for it as was done in previous referendums.

To claim it is representative is a stretch to put it mildly. Also it wasn't binding only advisory yet another lie. Backers of the yes vote have been fined by the electoral commission and clearly there was maniupulation by the likes of cambridge analytical. Brexiteers were the fiorst to run for cover when they actually won the vote because they knew it was all bull****. Ukip got tremendous coverage yet never got an mp elected meanwhile the snp, the third largest party in westminster and second largets by membership in the UK get completely ignored.( to sidetrack for a moment During the scottish referendum nigel farage and george galloway appeared on question time more often than any member of tye snp)

https://fullfact.org/europe/did-majorit ... eferendum/

In a democracy you have the right to change your mind about something to say this was a once and forever vote is nonsense. Scotland northern ireland both voted to remain yet their voices are being ignored theresa may made no attempt to onvilved the devolved administrations in the discussion and nhas made her contempt for devolution clear over and over again.

You are looking at the breakup of the united kimgdom all because the labour and tory parties are more interested in fighting amongst themselves than doing what is best for the country. Only a complete idiot can still think leaving the eu is in the best interets of the country

At this point I really don't care what happens to england I just want independence bofore it's too late. There was a motion for another scottish referndum put forward this week. Did you see that reported anywhere?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1522619 wrote: The biggest farce is that the majority of the country voted to Leave. The majority of Parliamentary constituencies voted to Leave. Yet the vast majority of MPs are pro-Remain.

The farce is that the vote was won using illegal methods and lies - forcing it through despite everything is the true death of democracy.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Given the margin of the vote, there is a good possibility that most MPs have a very high percentage of their constituency who voted to remain, and many districts had a majority to remain.

So, they very well may be trying to represent their constituents.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

If the majority of people in your constituency voted to Remain, how would you feel about your MP voting to support Leave? Similarly what about a constituency that is strongly Leave being represented by a Remainer?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1522656 wrote: If the majority of people in your constituency voted to Remain, how would you feel about your MP voting to support Leave? Similarly what about a constituency that is strongly Leave being represented by a Remainer?

I strongly suspect that now the lies and cheating have been exposed a large number of people in my constituency have changed their minds removing the very small majority that existed.

Tell you what, let’s ask them and see :-)
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr;1522658 wrote: I strongly suspect that now the lies and cheating have been exposed a large number of people in my constituency have changed their minds removing the very small majority that existed.

Tell you what, let’s ask them and see :-)

I hope they do ask again, kind of fed up of all the shouting about a HUGE majority voted out.

I cringe every time something else new is unveiled here in my county as being funded with EU money. We have benefited greatly in this county and will go back to being ignored by Westminster after Brexit that's for sure.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Betty Boop;1522667 wrote: I hope they do ask again, kind of fed up of all the shouting about a HUGE majority voted out.

I cringe every time something else new is unveiled here in my county as being funded with EU money. We have benefited greatly in this county and will go back to being ignored by Westminster after Brexit that's for sure.

I know one of the arguments put on that issue of monies we received from the eu is that we were just getting back our own money and if we weren't paying the eu we could fund these things ouirselves. Two things, do you really think westminster would bother spending money on the likes of cornwall or the north east of england or wales and secondly they ( the brexiteers that is) ignore the amount of eu money spent funding research in our universites.
spot

Post by spot »

John Bercow, the Speaker, is magnificent. He has just refused to allow the Government to have a third "meaningful" vote on the basis that the proposed third motion has not changed in substance and that the House has already decided the issue.

No means No, Prime Minister. Stop time-wasting.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1522670 wrote: John Bercow, the Speaker, is magnificent. He has just refused to allow the Government to have a third "meaningful" vote on the basis that the proposed third motion has not changed in substance and that the House has already decided the issue.

No means No, Prime Minister. Stop time-wasting.

Have been watching, time she went. Actually time they all went, but won't say that in front my daughter as she fears for her job lol
gmc

Post by gmc »

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-5944127

If he thinks they were scare stories he is in for a shock. The snp have won two elections with a second reeferendum if there were a material change in circumstances as part of their manifesto.

spot

Post by spot »

Yesterday's Statement by the Speaker led to the following intervention by the acid-toned Christian Mother Leadsom...

The Leader of the House of Commons (Andrea Leadsom)

On a point of order, Mr Speaker. I just want to be very clear: I am indeed a reforming Leader of the House of Commons. For me, treating colleagues with courtesy and respect is at the forefront of that reform. Any Speaker’s council would have to have that at its heart, and I simply would not be confident that that would be the case.

Hon. Members

Oh!

Mr Speaker

Well, so be it. I treat the House with respect. I have treated its Members with respect. I chaired a previous Speaker’s Conference, and there was ​no criticism of the way in which I did so. One reason why the Leader of the House might not be well versed in that particular Speaker’s Conference and in a position to make a judgment about my chairmanship of it is very simply that it took place before the right hon. Lady entered the House of Commons.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2 ... SStatement

She was quivering with anger before she spoke, I doubt the response improved her mood at all. Try as I might I have never yet found a good word to say about her.

The Prime Minister seems about to unilaterally request a time extension from the EU. I'm surprised she thinks she has the authority to do that, given current circumstances. I don't think she has, neither for that nor for the Statutory Instrument it would involve. This would be single-handed non-Cabinet governance.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1522674 wrote: The Prime Minister seems about to unilaterally request a time extension from the EU.

And she has, and President Tusk has said no. He won't accept the application from the Prime Minister. He's sent it back marked "only if it's requested by the House of Commons with agreement to the European terms".

And we have... 9 days left in which to either revoke Brexit, or to accept Europe's existing terms and also get the request for an extension passed by a majority in the House, or to leave with no deal.

The Prime Minister has immediately called all the other Party Leaders to Downing Street. I expect she needed a change of clothes too. My sympathy for her is non-existent. Nobody in this country is going to sign a revocation, and neither the Labour Party nor the Rees-Mogg camp is going to accept the existing terms of the deal, which makes the deal impossible to pass. That only leaves the hard Brexit 29th March crash in play.

Return to “United Kingdom”