Positive outcome from brexit

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

If anyone can think of anything please offer it up.
gmc

Post by gmc »

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17200 ... tv-debate/

Scottish independence maybe? I can't believe anyone in Scotland will trust the tories or labour yet some still seem to do so.
gmc

Post by gmc »

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17200 ... tv-debate/

Scottish independence maybe? Well, it would be positive for us.
spot

Post by spot »

How about the demolition of Conservative government for the next twenty years.

Today's Cabinet meeting seems to be about accepting all of the Brussels bureaucracy for British regulation while agreeing there would be no further British input on what those regulations consist of. All the paperwork imposed - people were complaining of the paperwork when voting for Brexit, if I remember - but no further hand in drawing any of it up.

It also appears to be guaranteeing there will be no British variation of trade deals worldwide. All the Brexit twaddle about how we'd draw up beneficial agreements with the Commonwealth and with China and the US, all that's been permanently abandoned.

Finally, the present government is about to do what it invariably said it couldn't do - it's going to bind all future governments to a revised treaty with the European Union with no unilateral right to withdraw or to vary the terms. We've never done that before in any context.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I find myself disgusted with the coverage on the issues. The country is basically split on whether to leave or not yet time after time on discussion programmes like question time there is invariably a preponderance of brexiteers reiterating their mantra about how we cannot change our minds and it would be undemocratic to have another think about this.

They are half-wits who can't seem to grasp that the effect on our economy will not be immediate as companies wait to see what happens before making final decisions. There are thousands of expats who are now facing losing their jobs in the eu and having to come home to no future.

On a happier note the brexit secretary dominic raab seems to have realised we are an island.
spot

Post by spot »

gmc;1521265 wrote: On a happier note the brexit secretary dominic raab seems to have realised we are an island.

And consequently we now have Dominic Raab's resignation from his zero-hours courier contract:

Dear Prime Minister,

It has been an honour to serve in your government as justice minister, housing minister and Brexit secretary.

I regret to say that, following the cabinet meeting yesterday on the Brexit deal. I must resign. I understand why you have chosen to pursue the deal with the EU on the terms proposed, and I respect the different views held in good faith by all of our colleagues.

For my part, I cannot support the proposed deal for two reasons. First I believe that the regulatory regime proposed for Northern Ireland presents a very real threat to the integrity of the United Kingdom.

Second, I cannot support an indefinite backstop arrangement, where the EU holds a veto over our ability to exit. The terms of the backstop amount to a hybrid of the EU customs union and single market obligations. No democratic nation has ever signed up to be bound by such an extensive regime, imposed externally without any democratic control over the laws to be applied, nor the ability to decide to exit the arrangement. That arrangement is now also taken as the starting point for negotiating the future economic partnership. If we accept that, it will severely prejudice the second phase of negotiations against the UK.

Above all, I cannot reconcile the terms of the proposed deal with the promises we made to the country in our manifesto at the last election. This is, at its heart, a matter of public trust.

I appreciate that you disagree with my judgment on these issues. I have weighed very carefully the alternative courses of action which the government could take, on which I have previously advised. Ultimately, you deserve a Brexit secretary who can make the case for the deal you are pursuing with conviction. I am only sorry, in good conscience, that I cannot.

My respect for you and the fortitude you have shown in difficult times, remains undimmed.

Yours sincerely

Dominic Raab

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Esther McVey's Cabinet resignation letter, as Work & Pensions Secretary:

Dear Prime Minister,

There is no more important task for this Government than delivering on the United Kingdom’s decision to leave the European Union. This is a matter of trust. It is about the future of our country and the integrity of our democracy.

The deal you put before the Cabinet yesterday does not honour the result of the referendum. Indeed, it doesn’t meet the tests you set from the outset of your premiership.

Repeatedly you have said that we must regain control of our money, our borders and our laws and develop our own independent trade policy. I have always supported you to deliver on those objectives. Even after Chequers when you knew I shared the concerns of a very significant number of colleagues, I believed that we could still work collectively to honour the will of the British people and secure the right outcome for the future of our country. This deal fails to do this.

The proposals put before Cabinet, which will soon be judged by the entire country, means handing over around £39bn to the EU without anything in return. It will trap us in a customs union, despite you specifically promising the British people we would not be. It will bind the hands of not only this, but future Governments in pursuing genuine free trade policies. We wouldn’t be taking back control, we would be handing over control to the EU and even to a third country for arbitration.

It also threatens the integrity of the United Kingdom, which as a Unionist is a risk I cannot be party to.

The British people have always been ahead of politicians on this issue, and it will be no good trying to pretend to them that this deal honours the result of the referendum when it is obvious to everyone it doesn’t.

We have gone from no deal is better than a bad deal, to any deal is better than no deal.

I cannot defend this, and I cannot vote for this deal. I could not look my constituents in the eye were I to do that. I therefore have no alternative but to resign from the Government.

It has been a huge honour to serve as Secretary of State for Work & Pensions, and I am immensely proud of the part I have played in the record levels of employment we have seen in all parts of the U.K Youth unemployment has halved since 2010, and we now have record number of women and BAME in work and since 2013, 973,000 more disabled people in work.

With unemployment over 3.3 million more than in 2010 we have helped 1,000 more people into work each and every day since we took office.

I am extremely grateful to you for appointing me to the role, and for the support you have given to me, not least in the run up to the budget, ensuring Universal Credit got a much-needed injection of £4.5 billion. That has made my decision a greater wrench.

However, in politics you have to be true to the public and also true to yourself. Had I stayed in Government and supported this deal with the EU I wouldn’t be doing that.

Your sincerely,

Esther McVey

Quite what "With unemployment over 3.3 million more than in 2010" means, I'm not sure.

I'm waiting for Mother Leadsom to throw in her two penn'orth.
spot

Post by spot »

Mark Steel is slightly inaccurate in today's Independent:Every business is now in a state of disarray, every financial institution predicts we’ll be worse off by somewhere around eight per cent, but it will all be worth it because we’ll now be free to conclude a separate trade agreement with comets and certain species of moss.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/br ... 34916.html

The thing is, we can't. The deal as proposed prohibits the UK from making any trade deal on its own behalf. All trade deals under the Draft Agreement will be negotiated by the EU and imposed on the UK. The UK will have no say at all in what trade deals it operates under. This isn't a stop-gap, this is a permanent arrangement until such time as the EU agrees to allow an alternative, and they're not going to do that when there's no reason for them to do it.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1521265 wrote: I find myself disgusted with the coverage on the issues. The country is basically split on whether to leave or not yet time after time on discussion programmes like question time there is invariably a preponderance of brexiteers reiterating their mantra about how we cannot change our minds and it would be undemocratic to have another think about this.

They are half-wits who can't seem to grasp that the effect on our economy will not be immediate as companies wait to see what happens before making final decisions. There are thousands of expats who are now facing losing their jobs in the eu and having to come home to no future.

On a happier note the brexit secretary dominic raab seems to have realised we are an island.

Random thought of the day:

It seems that, assuming Human Civilization survives into the 22nd Century, this period will be known as the era of the half-wit.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

Methinks you give brexiteers too much credit

"Leave-voting MP Nadine Dorries slams May's Brexit deal because UK won’t have seats in European parliament"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 39216.html

You just couldn;t make this stuff up could you.
gmc

Post by gmc »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 42641.html

"European Court to decide whether Article 50 can be reversed after judges reject government appeal"

If they were sure it could not be reversed one has to wonder why they appealed.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Something you won't see on the bbc.

Not least because it's cnn.

May visited scotland, broke protocol by not informing the SNP MP in whose constituency it was, kept the nationalist press away from her by banning them. It wasn't announced she was visiting probably for fear of the sparking protests. The snp are the third largest political party in Westminster it's supposed to be an integral part of the UK. A second referendum on brexit might make a difference otherwise it seems likely england, Wales and northern ireland will have to go it alone.
Night Watchman

Post by Night Watchman »

gmc;1521186 wrote: https://www.thenational.scot/news/17200 ... tv-debate/

Scottish independence maybe? Well, it would be positive for us.

Well, the English can only hope eh?
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot

Post by spot »

This "backstop" nonsense is a total irrelevance, it's also not needed.

I have a solution, if anyone cares. All parties merely need to say that the British may, at any stage they like, erect customs checks on the border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic, but that the European Union will immediately impose identical customs checks on every other port in the UK by way of response. If goods are slowed between Ireland and the North, they'll be slowed to the same extent elsewhere too.

So, if customs rates change between the UK and the EU due to the adoption of different trade tariffs between either party and the other, or either party and any third party, then the imposition of border checks to police those duty differences will just be tit for tat. Imposing the customs duties by any other means will be fair game, but not by slowing or preventing border traffic. It will land the UK with an indefinite headache on how to implement their new trade deals but it won't close the border, because the repercussions across the whole UK would be too great to contemplate.

There. Brexit impasse solved.
spot

Post by spot »

In a baffling move, the Brexiteers have just offered Theresa May a year's job guarantee. There will be a secret vote of all Conservative MPs tonight, it is certain to provide the Prime Minister with majority support, and no further challenge can be mounted for 12 months thereafter. 15% of Conservative MPs have said in writing that she should be fired, but there's no way on earth this will translate to 50% by this evening.

I think it's all boiling down to crashing out, or a second referendum leaving the UK within the EU on unchanged terms. I quite like staying in Europe, there will be no Conservative Party after such a meltdown.
gmc

Post by gmc »

It will be interesting to see how the brexiteers cope with the prospect of having customs post on the england /scottish border. Given the organisational abilities of the westminster government, it will probably be a piece of string looped over two bits of wood.
spot

Post by spot »

For the Prime Minister to announce she'd step down before 2022 is a sign of weakness I'm sure she shouldn't have given voice to. She'd have won regardless but now she will have to carry that burden of a failing leader with her for the rest of the term.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Now that the No Confidence In The Prime Minister motion has been tabled, the next step will be No Confidence In The Government.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart;1521574 wrote: Now that the No Confidence In The Prime Minister motion has been tabled, the next step will be No Confidence In The Government.

I suspect the first has yet to be won. Or even timetabled.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1521577 wrote: I suspect the first has yet to be won. Or even timetabled.

Downing Street refused to give it Debate time, which they are not obliged to, but the refusal in itself causes embarassment to her.
gmc

Post by gmc »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 89906.html

Corbyn brought a motion of no confidence in the prime minister that she can decide not to give any time to, as leader of the opposition he can bring a motion of no confidence in the government which must be debated that he doesn't seem to want to do.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I see he's come out the closet and revealed himself as being pro-Brexit. Looks like none of the politicians will be able to stop this.

Came across this guy

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... mes+obrien

LBC, not a radio programme I normally listen to. The mainstream media still talks about this as if it is all settled.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I seem to remember that Corbyn or McConnell said that they didn't need to be out of the EU for the next election, it's the one after that - phase 2 of their plan - that they need to be out for. I'm not sure how seriously to take it.

It does seem to be the case that both the far right and left want Brexit and it's the political centre ground in the broad sense - Lab, Lib Dem and Con - that opposes it.

My feeling is that Corbyn wants to be able to blame the Tories for all the bad of Brexit and take advantage of the Henry VIII powers - which are still in effect - to rewrite laws in ways they normally couldn't. It seems that if we Brexit we will lurch a long way either to the right or to the left. Neither appeals.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I don't want to see an Election until after we're out of the EU. Otherwise it would merely be fought on Brexit & nothing else. All Tories would need do would be to promise a 2nd Referendum (whether or not they deliver on this would be another matter) and it would split the Labour vote, thus returning them with a recovered majority. In the meantime they could put any of their other goals openly into their Campaign Manifesto (eg completing Privatisation of NHS, Police Services, Fire Services, Schools, more tax cuts to wealthiest etc) and they would go totally unnoticed. Once we're out, then hold an Election to decide who's going to deal with it all.
spot

Post by spot »

If Brexit does happen it might leave open the opportunity for a new political party to form a majority government in Westminster. I don't think that would ever be possible while the UK remains in the EU.

Despite intending to float the centrist https://commonpeople.uk/ nationally if the UK does exit I'd still prefer we didn't leave, but I'm interviewing constituency candidates if anyone would like to step forward.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

...the calm before the storm...

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1521843 wrote: ...the calm before the storm...

Nine days apparently
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I see there's just been an amendment intended to make hard Brexit more difficult by saying Parliament now has to approve the expenditure necessary for it specifically. Before I think the government would simply use its disciplined majority to put the legislation through. Currently it has no majority and little discipline.

Interestingly the similarities between our and the American system have stood out in this issue, I think. It's a bit like what Congress is doing by not giving the money for the wall. The difference is that in our system the government usually just uses its majority to vote itself the money and the more American feeling approach is overridden. But take away that normal top layer of British government organisation and the similarities become more clear.

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, I'm curious what the actual implications are of the vote that just took place.

It seems the PM is not at all happy about it.
- DH Lawrence
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

We are in completely uncharted territory and with an unwritten constitution we have no map. No-one knows what happens next. Concentrates the mind, anyway.

The Speaker seems a key figure now. Perhaps the biggest thing that happened that hasn't really registered was the Speaker ignoring normal procedure to allow Parliament to propose an amendment to legislation which opens the way for it to act the way your Congress does. In our system the Gov puts forward the legislation and Parliament says yes or no, it does NOT propose. The Speaker drove a truck (or perhaps I should say a coach and horses ;) ) through THAT one. But he was within his rights, not used from century to century but still around.

...I think...

edit: Oh. The immediate consequence is that the deal they've been working on (or not) for the last 3 years, known as May's Deal, has died, at least for the moment. That's all. It is an ex deal, it has snuffed it, it is a Norwegian Blue Parrot of deals.

edit edit: But if in 2 or 3 weeks we were talking about a zombie blue parrot of a deal I wouldn't be completely surprised.

edit edit edit: Oh and we might see a lot of parliamentary swearing tomorrow with the No Confidence debate. Cathartic at least. One of the things about our system that helps it survive - or has historically - is that it is very organic. Human even. So when it wants to have a breakdown it can and does. It can also recover. It has in the past but always by a personality coming through and I see no sign at present.

Corbyn's no confidence vote is a no hoper. He knows it but it was expected by normal practice and had to be done at some point.

gmc

Post by gmc »

I think may is ging to try and hang on and just let brexit happen with no deal. The UK can unitalerally withdraw article 50. The brexiteers are speading the lie that the other 27 members have to agree.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ourt-rules

"Theresa May has dismissed the idea of abandoning Brexit after the European court of justice ruled that the UK could stop the article 50 process without seeking EU approval.

The court in Luxembourg delighted remain campaigners by issuing an emergency ruling on Monday morning that, under EU law, the UK was able to unilaterally halt the article 50 process – fuelling renewed calls for a second referendum."

If brexit happens on the 29th of march another scottish referendum is a certainty and this time the vote will imo be a resounding yes and I wouldn;t be surprised of northern ireland saw moves to unite with south. We'll be OK but england and wales are screwed
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I think she's trying to get her deal still. I think she'll keep running the clock down trying to force a choice until it is too late for anything but her deal or no deal. Whether that is possible or not I don't know.

An unintentional hard no deal Brexit looks increasingly likely. At least they are doing something about stockpiling meds. Stockpiling some food looks like a sensible precaution. Just in case.

gmc

Post by gmc »

It amazes me the mainstream media never mention the scottish dimension to this. When Ian backford got up to speak during tne deabate stv,bbc sky news all cut away from it back to the talking heads. Bear in mind he is leader in westminster of the third largest party yet they interview vince cable and obscure tory back benchers and hardly ever an snp mp. In terms of debating ability they're steaks ahead of many of their fellow mp's but you won;t get a chance to see that unless you look at you tube.

I think I like james O'Brien

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1521944 wrote: It amazes me the mainstream media never mention the scottish dimension to this. When Ian backford got up to speak during tne deabate stv,bbc sky news all cut away from it back to the talking heads. Bear in mind he is leader in westminster of the third largest party yet they interview vince cable and obscure tory back benchers and hardly ever an snp mp. In terms of debating ability they're steaks ahead of many of their fellow mp's but you won;t get a chance to see that unless you look at you tube.

I think I like james O'Brien

Very similar in sport - doesn't the reporting on the Scottish Premiership come after that of the English League 2
spot

Post by spot »

The following commentary dates from October 2016, over two years ago, but it is still entirely relevant:

Fascinating Aïda, the Spiegeltent, Assembly, Edinburgh Festival 2016 - So Sorry Scotland
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

re: Fascinating Aïda, the Spiegeltent, Assembly, Edinburgh Festival 2016 - So Sorry Scotland

Brilliant! Entertaining too.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1521954 wrote: The following commentary dates from October 2016, over two years ago, but it is still entirely relevant:

Fascinating Aïda, the Spiegeltent, Assembly, Edinburgh Festival 2016 - So Sorry Scotland

Was going to use smileys but they do not seem to work just assume I am laughing my head off.

What do you think the DUP will rfetain their seats if they have ageneral election?

+
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1521969 wrote: Was going to use smileys but they do not seem to work just assume I am laughing my head off.

What do you think the DUP will rfetain their seats if they have ageneral election?

+

I think it quite possible that the DUP will increase the number of seats they hold - the Irish are serious about not having a hard boarder and the DUP are seen as the party that is ensuring that.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;1521990 wrote: I think it quite possible that the DUP will increase the number of seats they hold - the Irish are serious about not having a hard boarder and the DUP are seen as the party that is ensuring that.

They northern irish also voted to remain in the EU. The only northern irish politicians you hear from on mainstream media are the dup they do not exactly represent the majority of opinion in northern lreland who don't want to leave in the first place. The DUP has ten seats in westminster sinn fein seven. The dup were the only major political group in Northern Ireland to oppose the Good Friday Agreement do you really think they will keep their support? Given there is now a generation who have grown up without the constant violence affecting their lives and who (I assume) are in favour of things such as abortion rights and find little attractive about the religious bigotry of the DUP.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 28116.html

Northern Ireland would vote more strongly to remain in the EU if there was another Brexit poll, a study has suggested.

"A total of 69% would favour Remain if there was another referendum compared to 56% at the vote two years ago, the UK In A Changing Europe project said."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 29521.html

The dup want to leave the eu If there is a hard brexit I would not take bets on the dup holding sway the way they have. He who shouits the loudest does not necessarily speak for everybody.

If you read the mainstream media you would think there was little support for independence in scotland either.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1521994 wrote: They northern irish also voted to remain in the EU. The only northern irish politicians you hear from on mainstream media are the dup they do not exactly represent the majority of opinion in northern lreland who don't want to leave in the first place. The DUP has ten seats in westminster sinn fein seven. The dup were the only major political group in Northern Ireland to oppose the Good Friday Agreement do you really think they will keep their support? Given there is now a generation who have grown up without the constant violence affecting their lives and who (I assume) are in favour of things such as abortion rights and find little attractive about the religious bigotry of the DUP.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 28116.html

Northern Ireland would vote more strongly to remain in the EU if there was another Brexit poll, a study has suggested.

"A total of 69% would favour Remain if there was another referendum compared to 56% at the vote two years ago, the UK In A Changing Europe project said."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 29521.html

The dup want to leave the eu If there is a hard brexit I would not take bets on the dup holding sway the way they have. He who shouits the loudest does not necessarily speak for everybody.

If you read the mainstream media you would think there was little support for independence in scotland either.

Yes, they want to remain in the EU but, if they are forced to leave, they are determined (from everything I can see) not to have a customs border between themselves and the Republic.

Apart from the fact that the Republic would veto any deal including a hard border, the only thing stopping the Conservatives from agreeing to it is the DUP.

So, despite the DUP not representing the mainstream opinion in NI, such are the ways of British "democracy" that the DUP could get a renewed mandate purely on the basis of their opposition to a hard border.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1521995 wrote: Yes, they want to remain in the EU but, if they are forced to leave, they are determined (from everything I can see) not to have a customs border between themselves and the Republic.

I'm not entirely sure you're right. I've never yet heard a DUP Westminster MP say they want the UK to remain in the EU or to say they want no customs border between themselves and the Republic. All I've heard them say repeatedly is that they absolutely refuse to have any form of customs or passport control between Northern Ireland and Britain. Are you quite sure they've expressed an opinion on border checks with the Republic?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1521998 wrote: I'm not entirely sure you're right. I've never yet heard a DUP Westminster MP say they want the UK to remain in the EU or to say they want no customs border between themselves and the Republic. All I've heard them say repeatedly is that they absolutely refuse to have any form of customs or passport control between Northern Ireland and Britain. Are you quite sure they've expressed an opinion on border checks with the Republic?

They, in this case, being the people of NI.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Car bomb. No deaths, by luck it seems.

gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;1521995 wrote: Yes, they want to remain in the EU but, if they are forced to leave, they are determined (from everything I can see) not to have a customs border between themselves and the Republic.

Apart from the fact that the Republic would veto any deal including a hard border, the only thing stopping the Conservatives from agreeing to it is the DUP.

So, despite the DUP not representing the mainstream opinion in NI, such are the ways of British "democracy" that the DUP could get a renewed mandate purely on the basis of their opposition to a hard border.

Or they could lose seats because not everybody wats to go back to the old days of sectarian hatred and killings. The split between catholic and protestantin NI is almost 50/50 but perhaps more to the point eire is increasingly secular when compared to the north the kind of unionism the dup represent has maybe lost it's attraction.
spot

Post by spot »

The rubbish being spoken over the weekend was a pure waste of time. Liam Fox suggesting the Republic could agree a bilateral trade deal with the UK, for example?

It's equivalent to saying the Republic could exit the EU alongside us and form a single trade area, moving the European border to the whole of the British Isles. How can he can be so inane?

I reckon that was just another nudge toward the finish line, another couple of days' distraction while the clock keeps ticking.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1522017 wrote: The rubbish being spoken over the weekend was a pure waste of time. Liam Fox suggesting the Republic could agree a bilateral trade deal with the UK, for example?

It's equivalent to saying the Republic could exit the EU alongside us and form a single trade area, moving the European border to the whole of the British Isles. How can he can be so inane?

I reckon that was just another nudge toward the finish line, another couple of days' distraction while the clock keeps ticking.

It's a mistake, I think, to assume common sense and logic play any part in the minds of brexiteers. I know a few facts are just ignored you'd be as well talking to the tv

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17376 ... nts-anchor

Says it all really

as does this

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17373 ... ef=mr&lp=5
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Watching this Brexit thing from over here, it's not unlike watching your co-worker going through a messy divorce.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

Except in this case only one partner wants the divorce and is determined to cut off their own balls to show how determined they are to go ahead.
gmc

Post by gmc »

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17393 ... er-plan-b/

That's then a second independence referendum is very much on the cards and this time I think it will be a yes.

Apart from showing utter contempt for the house of commons it's showing comtemp for the third largest party in the house of commons. What you are not seeing reported in the mainstreram media are the mass demonstrations calling for another referendum.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... referendum

Nothing to do with the snp who are not the ones organising them.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nd-join-uk

Sadly I don't think it was said tongue in cheek

Return to “United Kingdom”