What did Earth look like, , MANY YEARS AGO?

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

This is so darn cool.

In my early teens, I and my best friend would walk up, climb up nearby hills some 35 miles away from the ocean. There we would uncover evidence of sea life. Always wondered how long ago those items shells etc lived.

That was California here in Kansas I know of a place where and seen a shark tooth. Maybe I will go there chip some rock and see what I can find.

What did Earth look like, , ?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1521878 wrote: This is so darn cool.

In my early teens, I and my best friend would walk up, climb up nearby hills some 35 miles away from the ocean. There we would uncover evidence of sea life. Always wondered how long ago those items shells etc lived.

That was California here in Kansas I know of a place where and seen a shark tooth. Maybe I will go there chip some rock and see what I can find.

That IS pretty cool.

Nice find.

There is a pretty interesting little museum just down the road from a ways. The Sternberg Museum, in Hayes. They have a lot of artifacts from the days when much of Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado was seafloor.

When the company I worked for built a new corp HQ north west of Denver in the 90s, thy found quite the collection of fossil shells, and fish and such. It is right on the edge of the Rocky Mountain uplift.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Nice. Thanks.

Added to Favourites. That nice. :)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Absolutely brilliant, that will keep me busy for ages.

Where I live in Crete there's a large Minoan palace perched on a hill about a hundred feet high and quarter of a mile from the sea. The ground is covered in sea shells.

So I climbed higher hills further inland and the sea shells are still there.

The tsunami the wiped out the Minoans must have been a doozy!
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1521879 wrote: That IS pretty cool.

Nice find.

There is a pretty interesting little museum just down the road from a ways. The Sternberg Museum, in Hayes. They have a lot of artifacts from the days when much of Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado was seafloor.

I have been threating to visit the Sternberg Museum for way too long. I have regular doctor appts in Hays. Maybe I finally make a day of my trip. I have heard of good comments about that place.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1521892 wrote: I have been threating to visit the Sternberg Museum for way too long. I have regular doctor appts in Hays. Maybe I finally make a day of my trip. I have heard of good comments about that place.

If you're going to be in the neighborhood, anyway, its definitely worth the time. I can't count the number of times I drove through Hays before I finally took the time to stop in.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

tude dog;1521878 wrote: This is so darn cool.

It would depend if you were to ask a Scientist or a Creationist. The Scientist would explain the fossilied elements on top of mountains by the observed geological activity. The Creationist would explain it with the Flood.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

One minor side effect of the discovery of climate change and the extent to which sea levels have fluctuated even in historical times is that historians began a while back to look at the effects of historical climate change beyond the effects of catastrophic events like the original Krakatoa or the Icelandic volcano (I think) that caused Europe wide crop failures which were a major cause of the French Revolution.

Something that caught my eye was the idea that the Angles and Saxons who invaded Britannia after the Legions left (the Picts too. gmc personally led several assaults on the Wall. It's not called the Water of Life for nothing) came over because their lands were going under the North Sea which was rising at the time (and now). Certainly not proven but an interesting idea.

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1521915 wrote: One minor side effect of the discovery of climate change and the extent to which sea levels have fluctuated even in historical times is that historians began a while back to look at the effects of historical climate change beyond the effects of catastrophic events like the original Krakatoa or the Icelandic volcano (I think) that caused Europe wide crop failures which were a major cause of the French Revolution.

Something that caught my eye was the idea that the Angles and Saxons who invaded Britannia after the Legions left (the Picts too. gmc personally led several assaults on the Wall. It's not called the Water of Life for nothing) came over because their lands were going under the North Sea which was rising at the time (and now). Certainly not proven but an interesting idea.

I thought that Doggerland disappeared into the north sea around the time of Stonehenge, certainly by four hundred ad the land boundaries should have been fairly stable.

My understanding was the the Germanic tribes were being squeezed by the general westward migrations caused by the mid Asiatic hoards.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Yeah, this is much smaller scale I think the idea is. If you live on a salt marsh you don't need much rise in sea level to be non-viable. It doesn't contradict the westward pressure theory, it's just another factor.

Return to “History”