Brett Kavanaugh

tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

yaaarrrgg;1520994 wrote: But did it? The Constitution originally represented less than half the country, given that women and slaves couldn't vote. It had a mix of really good and bad ideas.

It's worth thinking about... We place more importance on imaginary boundary lines than we do flesh and blood people.

Seriously?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

As a group, they pretty much recognized the contract we live by was not all perfect. Served us well.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

tude dog;1521004 wrote: Seriously?

As a group, they pretty much recognized the contract we live by was not all perfect. Served us well.

I just mean, in regards to the idea that it provided representation to all Americans, it actually failed quite badly. If you give it a letter grade... less than 50% is an F. There's a big difference between "not perfect" and "F" :-)

This was one area where the document needed quite a LOT of improvement, and still needs improvement.

The electoral college was a defect which aimed to protect the plutocracy at the time, while using the idea of democracy as a fig leaf.
AnneBoleyn

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by AnneBoleyn »

YZGI;1520989 wrote: Name calling is neither mature,responsible or professional. Neither is unsubstantiated accusations.

EXACTLY!

“This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election, fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record, revenge on behalf of the Clintons and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.”

BRETT KAVANAUGH
Clodhopper

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Clodhopper »

Um. I replied and it said error to server....

Ah well. As best I can here it is again:

You seemed to imply Trump is not corrupt up the wahoo. So corrupt he cannot see a difference between truth and lies because everything - everything - is there to serve his purposes. So he thinks he's a genius, thinks he's a great businessman, thinks he's an alpha male...

He's not. He's a pathetic little trustbaby: everything he is came from Dad, the money especially. He is a multiple bankrupt who would have been richer if he'd done nothing but party and abuse more women. Morality is ONLY what suits him - there is no other.

You've got a mediaeval king with all the faults that power all his life gives him: He wants and feels he deserves more power, more money, and all of YOU are just there to give it him. You have no other purpose. You are nothing, compared to him. Nothing at all.

Well the Scots where he built his golf course aren't fooled by his lies any more. How long will it take the American Right (religious or otherwise) or the brexiters?

...I DO love the story I heard tonight from a friend (so can't vouch for truth) that Trump has fired Kelly several times...and Kelly just ignores him and is still there.

I've heard it said that it's a good thing there is no crisis for the President to deal with. Unfortunately there is a crisis and he's doing his best to make it worse: Climate Change. I gather he's recently said it's just weather and will change back so he's pursuing policies that really do make it noticeably worse.

At this point Americans are a bit like Germans when Hitler came to power. He's got his hardcore followers and a whole lot of others who go along. All it takes. Brexit is much the same.

Please vote Democrat in the mid-terms. Please. This is the world and all its species at stake. It's not like the early C20th, this is the C21st and we really can kill the planet fast by both wrong action and by inaction.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1521016 wrote: EXACTLY!

“This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election, fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record, revenge on behalf of the Clintons and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.”

BRETT KAVANAUGH

Touche'

That is a good point. Now we can all go to our corners and decide which one is telling the truth.
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

You know what's interesting is Kavanaugh said he believed that Ford was telling the truth about being assaulted. His argument was to say they were both speaking the truth in a sense: except that she just didn't know who actually did it, and is now she blamed the wrong person.

It's an interesting defense. But that's not really how memory works, is it?

Recently, I happened to be in a restaurant next to a guy I went to school with. I didn't know him very well... he was the younger brother of one of my friends. It kinda cracked me up though.

Seeing him, I remembered something about him from probably almost 30 years ago ... we were on a school bus and he thought it would be a funny prank to punch me in the arm, when I wasn't looking. He was laughing about it, though it actually hurt a bit.

I remembered that about him when I saw him. Now, there's a 100% chance he forgot about the prank. I doubt he would even remember me, since that was about our only interaction. I probably wouldn't even remember him except for that. So, obviously it's an instinctive survival mechanism that the brain locks onto even mild injuries, probably more strongly than jokes.

The fact that Kavanaugh said she was telling the truth about being assaulted by "someone" and Ford saying that he was drunk and laughing ... that paints a fairly clear picture.
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

yaaarrrgg;1521038 wrote: You know what's interesting is Kavanaugh said he believed that Ford was telling the truth about being assaulted. His argument was to say they were both speaking the truth in a sense: except that she just didn't know who actually did it, and is now she blamed the wrong person.

Recently, I happened to be in a restaurant next to a guy I went to school with. I didn't know him very well... he was the younger brother of one of my friends. It kinda cracked me up though.

Seeing him, I remembered something about him from probably almost 30 years ago ... we were on a school bus and he thought it would be a funny prank to punch me in the arm, when I wasn't looking. He was laughing about it, though it actually hurt a bit.

I remembered that about him when I saw him. Now, there's a 100% chance he forgot about the prank. I doubt he would even remember me, since that was about our only interaction. I probably wouldn't even remember him except for that. So, obviously it's an instinctive survival mechanism that the brain locks onto even mild injuries, probably more strongly than jokes.

The fact that Kavanaugh said she was telling the truth about being assaulted by "someone" and Ford saying that he was drunk and laughing ... that paints a fairly clear picture.

AnneBoleyn

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1521042 wrote:
As it was not a trial, due process does not come into it. It was part of a job interview. His arrest, or being charged with a crime never was a part of this. You are just trying to cloud the issue and to change the subject. A smokescreen designed using irrelevant facts to make your non issue appear to be real.

Due Process of Law. A fundamental, constitutional guarantee that all legal proceedings will be fair and that one will be given notice of the proceedings and an opportunity to be heard before the government acts to take away one's life, liberty, or property.

Due Process of Law - Legal Dictionary

No one tried to take his life or liberty. As for property, no one owns a potential job. He got the rest: notification & opportunity to be heard.
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Exactly. The GOP senators were pretending this was a court case. Saying that Ford was trying to "ruin Kavanaugh's life." But he was born into privilege and would still be quite comfortable if he didn't get the job. He's not fighting for his freedom. He's fighting for more power. Completely different case.

Meanwhile if I showed up at a job interview, and multiple women there said I asaulted them, I certainly wouldn't get the job.

Apparently you ruin a privileged person's life by (one time) holding them to the same standards as everyone else.
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1521047 wrote: As it was not a trial, due process does not come into it. It was part of a job interview.

NO

From minute one there was a lynch mob in the wings.

Can we be honest, really?

It is not about Kavanagh, but that the Senate refused to consider Merrick Garland.

Not only that, Kavanagh seems to be a conservative jurist who reads the Constitution for what it is.
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1521049 wrote: NO

From minute one there was a lynch mob in the wings.

Can we be honest, really?

It is not about Kavanagh, but that the Senate refused to consider Merrick Garland.

Not only that, Kavanagh seems to be a conservative jurist who reads the Constitution for what it is.

You tell em! Cartoons are sufficient citations for accusations like this anyway.

Too many people have said all these things for them not to be true. Right?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

yaaarrrgg;1521048 wrote: Exactly. The GOP senators were pretending this was a court case. Saying that Ford was trying to "ruin Kavanaugh's life." But he was born into privilege and would still be quite comfortable if he didn't get the job. He's not fighting for his freedom. He's fighting for more power. Completely different case.

Meanwhile if I showed up at a job interview, and multiple women there said I asaulted them, I certainly wouldn't get the job.

Apparently you ruin a privileged person's life by (one time) holding them to the same standards as everyone else.

Tell us about your job interviews.

It wasn't so much as a job interview as political theatre.
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

It's interesting that Gorsuch managed to pass the same interview process (with the same people) without this problem. Kavanaugh had the bar lowered to bare minimum in his favor.
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

Reason and logic are such weak methods of arguing. It baffles the mind why anyone would resort to them when cartoons and empty sentence fragments are so plentiful.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Clodhopper

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Clodhopper »

Ahso!;1521054 wrote: Reason and logic are such weak methods of arguing. It baffles the mind why anyone would resort to them when cartoons and empty sentence fragments are so plentiful.

...it got Trump to the Presidency. So it's hard to disagree with you. It's tempting to use the same techniques back but at that point all sanity is lost instead of just that of those in power.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

yaaarrrgg;1521048 wrote: Exactly. The GOP senators were pretending this was a court case. Saying that Ford was trying to "ruin Kavanaugh's life." But he was born into privilege and would still be quite comfortable if he didn't get the job. He's not fighting for his freedom. He's fighting for more power. Completely different case.

And just how would you feel about being accused of these crimes and being completely innocent?
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

yaaarrrgg;1521053 wrote: It's interesting that Gorsuch managed to pass the same interview process (with the same people) without this problem. Kavanaugh had the bar lowered to bare minimum in his favor.

Interesting indeed.

Much has been said about Kavanagh's temperament and so little about the lack of professionalism of the senators.

Passed the bar?

If those senators had stopped for a drink maybe they could have an excuse.

Oh BTW, where in the Constitution does it mention any bar at all?
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

yaaarrrgg;1521038 wrote: You know what's interesting is Kavanaugh said he believed that Ford was telling the truth about being assaulted. His argument was to say they were both speaking the truth in a sense: except that she just didn't know who actually did it, and is now she blamed the wrong person.

tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

When lawyers go bad.

Judicial Watch Files Bar Complaint Against Lawyers For Christine Blasey Ford

"By not informing their client Dr. Ford that Sen. Chuck Grassley, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee offered in a letter to 'fly female staff investigators to meet Dr. Ford… in California, or anywhere else, to obtain (her) testimony, Katz, Banks, and Bromwich violated the following District of Columbia Rules of Professional Conduct," Judicial Watch released Friday. "Rule l.4(a) – A lawyer shall keep a client reasonably informed about the status of a matter and promptly comply with reasonable requests for information [and] Rule 1.4(b) – A lawyer shall explain a matter to the extent reasonably necessary to permit the client to make informed decisions regarding the representation."
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

So much for Judicial Watch. Though I expect a response to be something like "whatever that means".

"Judicial Watch (JW) is an American conservative activist group[1] and self-styled watchdog group[2][3] that files Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuits to investigate claimed misconduct by government officials.

Founded in 1994, JW has primarily targeted Democrats, in particular the Clinton administration, the Obama administration, and Hillary Clinton, although it has sued Republicans as well including the administration of George W. Bush. It has also filed lawsuits against government climate scientists; Judicial Watch has described climate science as "fraud science". The group has made numerous false and unsubstantiated claims, which have been picked up by right-wing news outlets. The vast majority of its lawsuits have been dismissed.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_Watch

The entire wiki article is quite a read. Judicial Watch appears to be a dysfunctional organization.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

YZGI;1521061 wrote: And just how would you feel about being accused of these crimes and being completely innocent?

That could happen. My only protections are suing for libel or slander. Or I could offer to take a lie detector test. But no one has ever said these things about me or Gorsuch. Why Kavanaugh?

The real kicker is Kavanaugh admitted that she was telling the truth about being assaulted, but then floated the implausible idea that she forgot who did it. If a guy tried to rape you 30 years ago, do you really think you'd forget who it was?

Of course there were multiple red flags about Kavanaugh, even if we ignore the possible assaults. For one, there is ample evidence he committed perjury on multiple occasions.
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

tude dog;1521063 wrote: Oh BTW, where in the Constitution does it mention any bar at all?

the Constitution is pretty vague. It only requires "good behavior" from the justices and advice of the senate.

But if Kagan and Sotomayer could pass the 60 vote standard, why couldn't Kavanaugh and Gorsuch pass?

Meanwhile, I recall the GOP was saying they were going to hold the Supreme Court seats open indefinitely if Clinton was elected. How is that Constitutional?
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

yaaarrrgg;1521069 wrote: the Constitution is pretty vague. It only requires "good behavior" from the justices and advice of the senate.

But if Kagan and Sotomayer could pass the 60 vote standard, why couldn't Kavanaugh and Gorsuch pass?

Hey, it was the Demoncrats who opened the door.

yaaarrrgg;1521069 wrote: Meanwhile, I recall the GOP was saying they were going to hold the Supreme Court seats open indefinitely if Clinton was elected. How is that Constitutional?

Same way the Demoncrats pulled out every dirty trick, slander, disruption, and more to prevent Kavanaugh from taking a seat on the Supreme Court.

It's not the end of the world. The ultimate judge is the voter.
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1521051 wrote: You tell em! Cartoons are sufficient citations for accusations like this anyway.

Too many people have said all these things for them not to be true. Right?

Cartoons are enough for this thread.

Return to “Societal Issues News”