Turnbull..... longest sreving Prime minister in 11 years.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

but that's about to change again soon....leadership challenge yesterday. They were supposed to have a meeting over the 'National energy guarantee' but it turned into a leadership challenge instead. Australia doesn't seem to be able to hold onto prime ministers very long.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame;1520446 wrote: but that's about to change again soon....leadership challenge yesterday. They were supposed to have a meeting over the 'National energy guarantee' but it turned into a leadership challenge instead. Australia doesn't seem to be able to hold onto prime ministers very long.

Is it normal to allow a second challenge so soon after he won the first? I don't think that's the case here.

Why are they so set against him?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Theres now a second challenger. It seems more about conservatives against moderists....so they just adjourned parliament so they can bitch about whos in charge.

Im hanging out for next question time.

The next time im near a computer ill give a breakdown of Australian government over the last 15 years. But those who live by the coup die by the coup. Third leader of the liberal party within one term.

How can a country work effectively if we dont even know who to call prime minister?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Hasn't something like this happened in previous administrations and is a sign the party is about to lose power?

...admit at present I am concerned whenever a challenger is described as conservative or right wing. There have been a few worryingly neo-nazi comments from Aussie politicians in the last few years iirc.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Ok, a little reading up informed me that ousting their leader has become a national sport in Australia: five in eight years I think it was, but it has no particular connection to a change of Party.

Apparently there's an American called Peter Dutton who has been getting a lot of hits on facebook (I think it was) because he happens to share his name with one of the characters involved. He is responding by asking that the good people of Australia check his profile and realise he's a 30 year old black man. One bright spark has got back to him with the comment, "Mate. It’s anyone’s game at the moment over here. Come try out for Prime Minister?"

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame;1520467 wrote: Theres now a second challenger. It seems more about conservatives against moderists....so they just adjourned parliament so they can bitch about whos in charge.

Im hanging out for next question time.

The next time im near a computer ill give a breakdown of Australian government over the last 15 years. But those who live by the coup die by the coup. Third leader of the liberal party within one term.

How can a country work effectively if we dont even know who to call prime minister?

I'm sure that here, when a leadership contest is declared, everyone with pretensions to grandeur throws their hat into the ring and there is a single contest. If the incumbent wins then they are safe from any further attack for an agreed period of time.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Labor made it a rule after the Rudd/Gillard debarcle to not challange an elected leader.....but we'll see.

The populace is so angry.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Really angry? We had a flavour of people being a bit annoyed on the report I saw but I'm picking up from you that it is more than just irritation.

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bryn Mawr;1520495 wrote: I'm sure that here, when a leadership contest is declared, everyone with pretensions to grandeur throws their hat into the ring and there is a single contest. If the incumbent wins then they are safe from any further attack for an agreed period of time.

Hardly so with Labour in the UK. Despite Corbyn having won the Leadership with 2 consecutively increasing record mandates, the Tory Blairites continue to do what they can to destroy him from within the Party.
gmc

Post by gmc »

The blairites do not seem to understand the damage blair did to the labour party, up here gordon brown keeps appearing as well only a complete idiot could take him seriously or belioeve a word he says sadly there are some who do.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1520535 wrote: Hardly so with Labour in the UK. Despite Corbyn having won the Leadership with 2 consecutively increasing record mandates, the Tory Blairites continue to do what they can to destroy him from within the Party.

True, but that is behind the scenes backstabbing, not a direct leadership challange.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... tory-video Pretty much sums it up. Just looking at my watch......I reckon the next leadership spill is due in ...hhmmm 'bout six months?

Return to “General Chit Chat”