Where's Spot

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
magentaflame

Where's Spot

Post by magentaflame »

Well? Where is he?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Where's Spot

Post by spot »

I had a burglary. My tablets, laptops and the iMac were stolen. I spent a day changing passwords around the world and then I built a replacement desktop. Making a police statement took an afternoon, phoning the insurer, it's all disruptive.

And yes, I've been using an iMac for the last four years. I liked the screen. I detest the iMac operating system but I rarely went near that. This temporary sub-£100 screen carries far less information but it's easier on the eye than my phone screen (though they have the same FHD resolution). My phone was my only device for several days.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Where's Spot

Post by spot »

The thread indexing is missing this post at the moment, it may be a by-product of the crash.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Where's Spot

Post by Bruv »

Better upgrade your security then, and I thought you lived in the tranquil low crime SW as well.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
magentaflame

Where's Spot

Post by magentaflame »

Seems to be a lot of that going on. I'm being accused of stealing around a hundred dollars in coin ........ i think if i was going to steal I'd take the notes not the obvious in your face coin ......but hey ....ya get that .

Apparently I steal from this person all the time. But it's okay over nine years I have a list of people that have apparently stolen from him.

i hate burglars I've had my fair share of things going missing around the property.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Where's Spot

Post by magentaflame »

BTW I'm glad you're okay i was worried.
spot

Where's Spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1520020 wrote: Better upgrade your security then, and I thought you lived in the tranquil low crime SW as well.

The estimate for replacing the windows is £60,000 which isn't a sensible choice. They're currently single-glazed pre-war Crittall frames with the twist handle, burglars can smash a 11"x8" pane and there's no lock available to stop them opening the window. I have wire twists on them but they're easily cut. There's been a week-long spree of break-ins locally. I did get a quarter hour of very detailed up-close infra-red security video of them which brought a smile to the constabulary but that still leaves me building a replacement computer for the time being.
spot

Where's Spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1520022 wrote: BTW I'm glad you're okay i was worried.

You're very kind.

The list of those to be notified in the event of catastrophe is very short, but it includes ForumGarden.
magentaflame

Where's Spot

Post by magentaflame »

Really? me too. :)
Bruv

Where's Spot

Post by Bruv »

Blimey thats a lot of windows. How about bars like a prison, or reglaze with toughened glass sealed units ?
spot

Where's Spot

Post by spot »

The windows need to open quickly from inside in the event of fire, I expect. Bars would be detrimental and probably just as expensive as the replacement double-glazed lockable Crittall frames. A rough count suggests there's 140 frames, most with 6 panes.

Much of the country is reliant on 3mm single glazed panes, I'm scarcely unique in that regard.
tude dog

Where's Spot

Post by tude dog »

Golly what happened to you sucks. The last place I lived was plagued by property crime. Mostly car burglaries and anything left outside not nailed down. One day some idiot came up to my porch to take my bike and it was all I could do to keep my friend from beating that fool senseless.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
magentaflame

Where's Spot

Post by magentaflame »

Alarm and cameras would be much cheaper.
Bruv

Where's Spot

Post by Bruv »

3mm glass is probably illegal in any replacement windows these days.....elf and safety don't ya know.

And lockable windows are in my opinion a waste of time and only a sales gimmick. With or without the lock anyone wanting access would have to break the glass because they all have multiple locking points, workable only from inside via the handle.

You want toughened stepped units to replace the 3mm glass you have now, crittal windows last forever with a little maintanance.
Mickiel

Where's Spot

Post by Mickiel »

Bruv;1520037 wrote: 3mm glass is probably illegal in any replacement windows these days.....elf and safety don't ya know.

And lockable windows are in my opinion a waste of time and only a sales gimmick. With or without the lock anyone wanting access would have to break the glass because they all have multiple locking points, workable only from inside via the handle.

You want toughened stepped units to replace the 3mm glass you have now, crittal windows last forever with a little maintanance.

I like that. You thought you knew about this until you opened your mouth.
Bruv

Where's Spot

Post by Bruv »

I actually do know quite a lot about windows and glass as it happens..........not a lot about other stuff though.
Mickiel

Where's Spot

Post by Mickiel »

Bruv;1520043 wrote: I actually do know quite a lot about windows and glass as it happens..........not a lot about other stuff though.

I understand

Yet when I read the statement ..a profound statement took over my conscious for a few minutes.

The thought was just more powerful than what I was paying attention to at The time.
Bruv

Where's Spot

Post by Bruv »

Mickiel;1520044 wrote: I understand

Yet when I read the statement ..a profound statement took over my conscious for a few minutes.

The thought was just more powerful than what I was paying attention to at The time.

Glad you enjoyed it.

What are you doing outside of the religious threads anyway ?
Clodhopper

Where's Spot

Post by Clodhopper »

The summer hols in the West Country seems to be a time when burglaries happen. There are a lot of summer holiday homes with poor security and families on hol in them, so out all day. I remember about 35 years ago we were burgled under those circumstances. My mother lost her jewellery - insured but the sentimental value can't be covered.

I have a vague memory that we were told it was because burglars from Birmingham also go on holiday...Looking back I wonder why they were so sure it wasn't local.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Where's Spot

Post by spot »

My holiday cottage is a great deal more secure than the Hall, and often warmer.

Anyone on FG who fancies a week in Cornwall during term time is welcome to use the cottage as their base. It's easier to get about if you bring some form of transport with you but other than that it's trouble-free. Sleeps five. I've never suggested Cornwall as a venue for a FG meet because it's so distant from civilized parts but there might be the nucleus of an offer there. We did London twice, we did Birmingham, we did Cropredy, perhaps this is FG 2018.
magentaflame

Where's Spot

Post by magentaflame »

hmmm..my family is from Devon Cornwall....I shall very seriously think about that if you don't mind. not in 2018 though sorry new job and all that. you did birmingham? now you tell me ...bugger!

Return to “General Chit Chat”