Words that end in DRY

spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

The "Words That End In" franchise

proudly presents

the most successful game thread of all history,

back on ForumGarden by POPULAR DEMAND!

We tried a while ago to post only words which ended in INTH. It was all too brief.

This was followed by INCH. It was an overnight success!

A third outing, of words ending in ONCH, brought out intense rivalry!

We then moved into high gear with words ending in ONCK, the most hard-fought contest to date.

The search for words ending in ANK, was reviewed in Time Magazine as "reminiscent of Mrs Thrale's gatherings".

The subsequent investigation into words ending in ARK induced rule revisions.

The hunt for words ending in ARB was mercifully brief.

An exciting contest for words ending in ERB, saw an avalanche of submissions from an international array of players.

Players struggled for words ending in ERO, several tripping on the rule revisions regarding dictionary searches and context displays.

Odie then pipped a field of contestants producing words ending in EDO in a nailbiting finish worthy of Takeshi's Castle.

AussiePam subsequently startled the world by claiming to be "coffeedy" while producing words ending in EDY. AussiePam was docked two points on this game's scoresheet, for cheek.

Most recently tabby won her first contested round for words ending in DDY after a close-fought struggle with ZAP.

In the interests of fair adjudication in this round

every entry must have a sample sentence attached which shows the word employed in a natural English setting

Entries score double if the sample sentence is a legitimate quotation from a published work

Players are courteously reminded that dictionary searches are forbidden

Good luck to all our contestants!

Once a name or word has been offered in the thread it may not be offered again. Proper nouns, acronyms and abbreviations, where they lack alternate non-derivative meanings which are neither proper, acronymic or abbreviated, are excluded. Submissions must use current English spelling adjudicated from the Oxford English Dictionary. Consecutive posts within the game thread must not contain submissions from the same player. The use of computer software to generate submissions is forbidden. Relatives and employees of the game's management may not enter. The competition is governed by English Law. The winner of this competition will be entered in the annual ForumGarden Competition Winners' Knock-out Photo Contest. No prize carries financial value exceeding the lowest denomination coin of the realm, for which it may be exchanged at the request of the winner. This is a game of skill without payment of money or money's worth or the provision of goods or services and does not constitute a lottery, pool, prize game or chain-gift scheme.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snooz

Words that end in DRY

Post by Snooz »

Sundry... I'm surprised at spot's sundry list of word games.
theia

Words that end in DRY

Post by theia »

Laundry

One should always endeavour to wash one's laundry in private
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Mondry: Snooze woke up at dawn completely confused, thinking it might be Mondry already.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tabby

Words that end in DRY

Post by tabby »

Dry: Dry is a word that shouldn't be overlooked as having DRY as the last letters regardless of whether one has a dry sense of humor or not.
along-for-the-ride

Words that end in DRY

Post by along-for-the-ride »

foundry

He toiled from sun up to sun down in the foundry.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
tabby

Words that end in DRY

Post by tabby »

Tawdry: When we post on Forum Garden, we're expected to refrain from being lewd and tawdry.
Snooz

Words that end in DRY

Post by Snooz »

tabby;1379748 wrote: Tawdry: When we post on Forum Garden, we're expected to refrain from being lewd and tawdry.

Uh oh.
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Every day would seem to be get at Snooze day.
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

HUSBANDRY:

"His educational career began, interestingly enough, in agricultural school where he majored in animal husbandry until they caught him at it one day." - Tom Lehrer.
Snooz

Words that end in DRY

Post by Snooz »

Spin-dry:

Spin-dry probably wasn't one of the words spot had in mind when he started this thread.
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Cuckoldry.

I just heard it used on the radio which just shows the benefit of paying attention. There's a dramatised abridgement of Gargantua and Pantagruel and I'm sure one of them said "cuckoldry naturally attends marriage".
tabby

Words that end in DRY

Post by tabby »

Heraldry

Having studied heraldry, he was able to speak intelligently about his family's ancestral coat of arms.
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Legendry

True hackers travel on their own reputations rather than invented legendry.
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Good lord where's Odie when you need her.
Snooz

Words that end in DRY

Post by Snooz »

Heaves, dry.
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Would that let me offer Martini, dry?
Snooz

Words that end in DRY

Post by Snooz »

Yes.

Clean, dry
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Cough, dry.

A dry cough is the trumpeter of death.
Snooz

Words that end in DRY

Post by Snooz »

Wash, dry

He dry washed his face in an attempt to relieve his interminable exhaustion.
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Rot, dry

Gowing said "I’ll tell you what, I distinctly smell dry rot.” I don’t often make jokes, but I replied: “You’re talking a lot of dry rot yourself.” I could not help roaring at this, and Carrie said her sides quite ached with laughter. I never was so immensely tickled by anything I have ever said before. I actually woke up twice during the night, and laughed till the bed shook.
Snooz

Words that end in DRY

Post by Snooz »

Ice, dry

Brenda couldn't believe her luck, she had always wanted to be cast in a vampire movie. However, the dry ice fogged the set up so well, she tripped on a hidden power cord and landed face down on the food services table.
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Nurse, dry

There dwells one Mistress Quickly, which is in the manner of his nurse, or his dry nurse, or his cook, or his laundry, his washer, and his wringer.
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Heavy weather, this thread. Shall I tot up the scores or has anyone any more contributions first?
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Last call, before I announce the round's winner and start the next.
AnneBoleyn

Words that end in DRY

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I never even saw this thread. Five years before a winner is announced (4&1/2)?
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn;1493853 wrote: I never even saw this thread. Five years before a winner is announced (4&1/2)?

I never had much patience or understanding when it came to Word Games threads, they invariably seemed to lack any excuse for existing. No thought, no content, no challenge, quite odd. If you look at this series, back-linked from post #1, you might (I hope) get a sense of parody as I tighten the rules and deliberately reduce the likelihood of anyone managing to post by using more and more obscure rules and improbable suffixes. The participants built a very peculiar set of threads over the years - http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/word- ... -onck.html for instance.
lucastamiller

Words that end in DRY

Post by lucastamiller »

not dry
Saint_

Words that end in DRY

Post by Saint_ »

I can't think of a word. What a quandry!
FourPart

Words that end in DRY

Post by FourPart »

Saint_;1498969 wrote: I can't think of a word. What a quandry!
I would have thought that all & sundry would be be able to think of something so tawdry.
G#Gill

Words that end in DRY

Post by G#Gill »

Oh gawd !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
ZAP

Words that end in DRY

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1499051 wrote: Oh gawd !

Did you mean "Oh gawdry"?
G#Gill

Words that end in DRY

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1499053 wrote: Did you mean "Oh gawdry"?

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

lucastamiller;1498967 wrote: not dry

"Once a name or word has been offered in the thread it may not be offered again."

Post#5: Dry

FourPart;1499033 wrote: I would have thought that all & sundry would be be able to think of something so tawdry.

"Once a name or word has been offered in the thread it may not be offered again."

Post#2: Sundry

Post#7: Tawdry
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Saint_;1498969 wrote: I can't think of a word. What a quandry!

Thre OED says "The nonstandard spelling quandry shows elision of the unstressed vowel" so we'll allow that.
minks

Words that end in DRY

Post by minks »

Happy Monandry everyone,

Ok actually I live in a state of Monandry

n. - The state of having only one husband at a time
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

The alternative is you're an orchid with immense stamens to attract other orchids, but we'll let that pass.

I'm not sure what brought this game back to prominence.
minks

Words that end in DRY

Post by minks »

Spot called me a flower, spot called me a flower lol

― Mae West
ZAP

Words that end in DRY

Post by ZAP »

minks;1499116 wrote: Spot called me a flower, spot called me a flower lol

And with immense stamens! :)
minks

Words that end in DRY

Post by minks »

OOOOLALA

look at me

Sort of Gynandry-ish lol

― Mae West
jamesmadisondo13

Words that end in DRY

Post by jamesmadisondo13 »

:-3 what this cake reload nice man
Saint_

Words that end in DRY

Post by Saint_ »

That's enough Ribaldry...
Playful1

Words that end in DRY

Post by Playful1 »

Sundry
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Playful1;1518918 wrote: Sundry

Ah. No, you missed the small print. "Once a name or word has been offered in the thread it may not be offered again." Snooze, Post #2, 2011.

Congratulations on finding the thread though. We could always put up a fresh one.
Playful1

Words that end in DRY

Post by Playful1 »

Well, color me red, I did miss the small print. Don’t start a new one for me. My memory is only good for up

to 2 pages at best. Lol!
spot

Words that end in DRY

Post by spot »

Playful1;1518927 wrote: Well, color me red, I did miss the small print. Don’t start a new one for me. My memory is only good for up

to 2 pages at best. Lol!

The purpose of that particular rule was precisely to stop each thread from reaching a second page!

There's a new thread at http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/word- ... d-iry.html and I reckon there's only ten possible answers.
Playful1

Words that end in DRY

Post by Playful1 »

I found it and have submitted my word. I hope a bit of playfulness is allowed. I say I just can’t help myself, but actually can when necessary.:wah:

Return to “Word Games”