Heads up, ForumGarden is going down for a half hour, on the hour

Read about the latest happenings at ForumGarden.com.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Another oddity, today for the first time in living memory there were no undelivered mail notifications.

Most likely a coincidence as there have been normal numbers on other days since the move.
spot

Post by spot »

I think I'll raise a ticket. Please note I'm not online on May 5-6th.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It is still not cancelling visited posts, and after posting yesterday or the day before the post didnt appear so I posted again which didn't appear either until I left the site then came back...................................fingers crossed with this one.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Same thing happened........now both should appear.....after I have gone again.

After clicking post I see the post appear, then clicking on New Posts it shows the thread I just posted to, but without my post.....and thats why I double posted here.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1518828 wrote: Same thing happened........now both should appear.....after I have gone again.

After clicking post I see the post appear, then clicking on New Posts it shows the thread I just posted to, but without my post.....and thats why I double posted here.

So a big delay with some of the database updates?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1518829 wrote: So a big delay with some of the database updates?

Hope you are not asking me ?

I shall now click post......and see what happens.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

OK......it showed as posted.

Then clicking New Posts (which shouldn't then show the thread I posted to ) the post didn't appear.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Now I have posted twice in this thread with niether appearing............this is the 3rd post, they disappear briefly then like magic reappear.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1518832 wrote: OK......it showed as posted.

Then clicking New Posts (which shouldn't then show the thread I posted to ) the post didn't appear.

I have actually never seen updates I'v made to posts show up as new posts, when I click the "New Posts" link. I don't see new posts until someone else posts to a thread. If I look at the thread, again, after posting my posts show up.

I did have to log out and back in 3 or for times before seeing what I thought of as normal behavior after the update.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Thats what I meant to say Lars......................really just testing now to see if things are working properly again.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

No they are not..............working properly I mean.

Had to leave the site and refresh before I got my post to show.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, usually, I never log out. I just close the window, or go browse another site.

When I do log out, and come back, After I log in, the first screen I get tells me that if I am new to the forum I should register, and has an option to log in. (as if I am not logged in. When I do log in, again, I get the same page.

However from that page, I can hit new posts, and it will take me to the normal page for viewing new posts.

A bit weird.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, I take back what I said earlier about things looking normal, now.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Well.......I never log out.....I'm a rebel.

(Just greeted a new recruit...clicked new posts to move on......and the thread I posted to was showing without my post as the last one)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Those last two posts from me,...I made while the system was telling me I was logged out.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

And a second day with no undelivered mail. Odd!
gmc

Post by gmc »

Having problems logging in, logs me in then when I try to go to thread shows me as logged out. Can't reply to thread have to go to forum, log in go to new thread then click on thread can then reply. If I click on a page number it throws me out again I cannot reply with quote have to do as above. weird
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1518863 wrote: Having problems logging in, logs me in then when I try to go to thread shows me as logged out. Can't reply to thread have to go to forum, log in go to new thread then click on thread can then reply. If I click on a page number it throws me out again I cannot reply with quote have to do as above. weird

Clearing your cache and cookies should help with that.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1518865 wrote: Clearing your cache and cookies should help with that.

Nope

Same stuff
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by brynmawr

Clearing your cache and cookies should help with that.

Do that as amatter of course.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oh dear ! :-5 :rolleyes:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1518908 wrote: Oh dear ! :-5 :rolleyes:

I think the main news is that we still have a working server with maintained security. We temporarily have a cache problem. As far as I can see there's nothing we can't actually do.

What's wrong is people being shown old pages, or old parts of pages, for up to 15 minutes after anyone's either posted or looked at a page. It's a display error. Cached copies aren't being flushed somewhere between the forum and the user's screen. Refreshing the user screen clears the problem immediately.

We're looking for the configuration mistake.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

There is the posts that you make not clearing from the New Posts list too..........................although it may be the same issue.

"As far as I can see there's nothing we can't actually do." Is that a linguistic twist I am unaware of ? Or did you say can't by mistake ?
spot

Post by spot »

One may not end a sentence with a preposition.

"Is that a linguistic twist of which I am unaware?", please.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

"As far as I can see there's nothing we can't actually do.".......................Is that a linguistic twist of which I am unaware?

Are you in politician mode ?
spot

Post by spot »

It's an accurate description of the state of ForumGarden's software, I think. It was intended to be.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Logged in this morning and it worked perfectly.

Have you found the problem? :-)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bryn Mawr;1518990 wrote: Logged in this morning and it worked perfectly.

Have you found the problem? :-)

Hmm, a touch overoptimistic.

Logged in and it went straight to the logged in state with new posts etc. Everything worked as expected until after I'd made the above post but then back to not clearing the outstanding thread list, came back into the thread and my post did not show until I hit F5 to refresh.

Oh well.
spot

Post by spot »

That and the out of memory emails is not good. I'll push at it this evening.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I'm getting the same problem of not clearing read threads. I can read all posts, the "Go To First Unread Post", and it goes to the first post I read.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Now when I reply to a thread, the page wierdly jumps until I have refeshed it several times, even then clicking on New Posts doesn't clear the post from that catagory or change the font to light as it was previously.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I log in but as soon as I try to reply to a post I get kicked out although not all the rtime. If I go back to home I get kicked out, some threads UI can only reply if I use reply to thread. What is going on?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1519332 wrote: I log in but as soon as I try to reply to a post I get kicked out although not all the rtime. If I go back to home I get kicked out, some threads UI can only reply if I use reply to thread. What is going on?

The host has updated the operating system (though not to the latest spec for some reason) and that also forced an update of several of the associated system utilities.

As far as they're concerned the update has been successful but ... either one of the updated utilities is not working with the version of vB that we're running or one of the configuration files has been reset to a value that is messing us up.

Should be a simple problem but there are so many places it could be hiding that it's taking a long time to sort.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am sure management are working hard to sort it.

Is part of the problem an overdose of word games ? Just a suggestion.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Greetings.
spot

Post by spot »

Starship personnel should be aware that the Navigation Officer will test the emergency evacuation systems several times over the coming week. Occasional downtime may be expected. In the event of a genuine crisis during this period the words "This is not a drill", "Captain to the bridge" and "Brace! Brace!" will prefix all announcements.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Aye Aye Spock er Spot..
spot

Post by spot »

All hands, now hear this. This is the Navigation officer.

System maintenance is scheduled for this weekend. Prepare to experience occasional half-hour periods of downtime.

That is all.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Attention, attention...............................has anybody seen, or heard from ZAP ? Does anybody know whether she is still with us, or has she passed to a better place where she can roam to her heart's content ?

I know that she was a 'paid up member' and her name was always green, so maybe Bryn could indicate whether her annual sub has been stopped or whether she is still paying ?

Please try to help !
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1531101 wrote: Attention, attention...............................has anybody seen, or heard from ZAP ? Does anybody know whether she is still with us, or has she passed to a better place where she can roam to her heart's content ?

I know that she was a 'paid up member' and her name was always green, so maybe Bryn could indicate whether her annual sub has been stopped or whether she is still paying ?

Please try to help !

From the database, the last subscription was in 2011 and the last login was November 2018. I have no social media accounts to look beyond the site but perhaps someone else can check in that direction.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1531107 wrote: From the database, the last subscription was in 2011 and the last login was November 2018. I have no social media accounts to look beyond the site but perhaps someone else can check in that direction.

Thank you so much, Mr. spot, for such a prompt reply. Although you weren't able to give much info. at least you were able to give me something. I looked at the 'members list' on FG and ZAP is still incliuded and is in green. As far as I am aware the member's name reverts back to black if they do not pay another subscription, so this confuses me with regard to ZAP as her name is still in green.

Maybe she signed a Direct Debit several years ago, so that subscriptions still carried on and perhaps relatives hadn't yet realised this to cancel the DD. Just a thought and I hope that Mary Hyde (ZAP) is. in fact, still alive. The last I heard was that she was touring round the USA and looking up various relatives and I think that was 2017/ 18. She seemed quite fit at that time so I keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks, once more for your quick reply !
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1531111 wrote: Thank you so much, Mr. spot, for such a prompt reply. Although you weren't able to give much info. at least you were able to give me something. I looked at the 'members list' on FG and ZAP is still incliuded and is in green. As far as I am aware the member's name reverts back to black if they do not pay another subscription, so this confuses me with regard to ZAP as her name is still in green.

Maybe she signed a Direct Debit several years ago, so that subscriptions still carried on and perhaps relatives hadn't yet realised this to cancel the DD. Just a thought and I hope that Mary Hyde (ZAP) is. in fact, still alive. The last I heard was that she was touring round the USA and looking up various relatives and I think that was 2017/ 18. She seemed quite fit at that time so I keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks, once more for your quick reply !

There are several reasons for a bold green name, the details I gave are accurate.
spot

Post by spot »

There may be a half-hour downtime before May, I need a working site copy downloading.

May starts on Friday, for those in lockdown who haven't kept up.

Today is Wednesday.
spot

Re: Heads up, ForumGarden is going down for a half hour, on the hour

Post by spot »

Take note, a brief downtime will occur today.
spot

Post by spot »

ten minutes...
spot

Post by spot »

And again, if I might be excused. For half an hour.
spot

Post by spot »

I apologize for this late announcement but I've rebooted ForumGarden twice today, so there were two brief (3 minute) outages. I've been testing the backup system.
spot

Post by spot »

phpBB 3.3.11 Release

Re: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:48 pm This version is a maintenance release of the 3.3.x branch which increases the minimum required PHP version, adds a new search index progress bar with added statistics, optimizes our support for PHP 8.2, and adds further security hardening. - https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2646991

29th November 2023 - Done, back again, 8 minute downtime.

Result: Your phpBB installation is up to date. There are no updates available at this time. - Re-Check version

Current version

The reason we don't do the patch is we can't download it easily from phpbb or move it easily from my laptop. I expect we could.
Take the entire release download, expand to /var/www/3.3.11 (or whatever)
do the deletes in place
check you have an onsite recent backup - this can be cd /root/contabo/ then ./contabo-backup.sh and takes around 6 minutes.
acp board settings put the board down
copy the live extra bits as directed n the release update note
run the php .bin database update
move the install directory to a save directory not visible offsite
acp board settings put the board back up
repeat the backup

PHP Version 8.2.13
System Linux forumgarden.com 6.1.0-13-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.55-1 (2023-09-29) x86_64
Build Date Nov 24 2023 13:10:01
Build System Linux

Code: Select all

Extension Name 	Current version 	Options 	Actions
Enabled Extensions
Akismet Anti-Spam Extension 	1.2.1 	Details 	Disable
Hide Bots 	1.0.4 	Details 	Disable
Image Upload 	1.1.3 	Details 	Disable
phpBB Media Embed PlugIn 	1.1.1 	Details 	Disable
Stop Forum Spam 	1.4.4 	Details 	Disable
VigLink 	1.0.5 	Details 	Disable

Oh... and, from the phpBB FAQ: "Most formatting which can be carried out using HTML can be applied using BBCode instead". Well, it's definitely quotable.
spot

Post by spot »

The management would like to apologize for a 20 minute outage without warning over the last hour, following two heavy system resource overloads by Hong Kong and Indian web harvesters. Matters are now stabilized, but please note next week may bring further brief disruptions. There may be trouble ahead. But while there's moonlight and music and love and romance, let’s face the music and dance.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:21 pm The management would like to apologize for a 20 minute outage without warning over the last hour, following two heavy system resource overloads by Hong Kong and Indian web harvesters. Matters are now stabilized, but please note next week may bring further brief disruptions. There may be trouble ahead. But while there's moonlight and music and love and romance, let’s face the music and dance.
There's moonlight, but no music and love and romance. Didn't notice an outage either, but it sounds like it was unavoidable.

Return to “News and Announcements”