Are Tarot cards scary?

readingsbyrachel

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by readingsbyrachel »

Are Tarot cards scary?
spot

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by spot »

People naturally see patterns in random data, it's inbuilt. Whether it's a Tarot reading or passing clouds it's the same cause. Why would someone get scared of that when they listen to a random reading?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by tude dog »

readingsbyrachel;1517280 wrote: Are Tarot cards scary?

Not at all.

My wife taught me about how she goes about reading tarot cards. Each card has certain symbolism which she explains to the person she is reading for. What she then does is allow the person to figure out how it applies to themselves. Allows for some open conversation.

Pretty cool actually.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
AnneBoleyn

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude, you're just filled with surprises! I used to read Tarot, too. Stopped for, well, personal reasons.
LarsMac

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by LarsMac »

Oddly enough, I got into reading the cards at one point. Learned from a lady I lived with in New Orleans for a while. (that was a very strange period of life.)

I quit, because I decided I did not want to know that much about most people.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1517284 wrote: Oddly enough, I got into reading the cards at one point. Learned from a lady I lived with in New Orleans for a while. (that was a very strange period of life.)

I quit, because I decided I did not want to know that much about most people.

I had a similar experience, but different.

I was between jobs and had a hard time finding a real one, ready to take most anything for in between. Saw an ad in the paper for people for Psychics or whatever. The job was to answer the phone for one of those toll call places where people pay $4 a minute for advice.

Sounded like it might be fun and maybe a cool part-time job later on. Wife taught me the tarot card thing and I applied for a job and got it.

In a factory size building rows of tables people separated by small barriers on phones. One row of people may be fortune tellers, sex fantasy, and other things. Must have been over a hundred people working there. So I read tarot cards.

So I laid out my cards and took calls. Found it more efficient to lay the cards out at the beginning of the shift and used them for all calls. Didn't really matter cause not everybody was interested in that.

A lot of the time people just wanted some advice, or to hear a story. After a week I gave notice as it seemed too often total strangers with real problems asking me of all people questions which should go to a professional mental health person.

There was one call I'll never forget. A lady would not work with me at all and just seemed to want to prove me a fake and just wanted to keep her on the line. I explained I was new on the job and not very good at it. She told me that I should quit. So I started to tell her of my job problems. That brought me an additional minute or two. I don't really know how much that minute or two cost her but I bet it was way more then my 15 cents a minute I got for holding her on the line.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1517286 wrote: I had a similar experience, but different.

I was between jobs and had a hard time finding a real one, ready to take most anything for in between. Saw an ad in the paper for people for Psychics or whatever. The job was to answer the phone for one of those toll call places where people pay $4 a minute for advice.

Sounded like it might be fun and maybe a cool part-time job later on. Wife taught me the tarot card thing and I applied for a job and got it.

In a factory size building rows of tables people separated by small barriers on phones. One row of people may be fortune tellers, sex fantasy, and other things. Must have been over a hundred people working there. So I read tarot cards.

So I laid out my cards and took calls. Found it more efficient to lay the cards out at the beginning of the shift and used them for all calls. Didn't really matter cause not everybody was interested in that.

A lot of the time people just wanted some advice, or to hear a story. After a week I gave notice as it seemed too often total strangers with real problems asking me of all people questions which should go to a professional mental health person.

There was one call I'll never forget. A lady would not work with me at all and just seemed to want to prove me a fake and just wanted to keep her on the line. I explained I was new on the job and not very good at it. She told me that I should quit. So I started to tell her of my job problems. That brought me an additional minute or two. I don't really know how much that minute or two cost her but I bet it was way more then my 15 cents a minute I got for holding her on the line.

I always suspected that was how those lines worked. I bet all of those call-in lines would look pretty much the same, regardless of the subject matter.

Back to the cards, card reading, palm reading and such are basically amateur/non-certified psychotherapy.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by Betty Boop »

I'm off to shuffle my Tarot Deck and predict whether Rachel will be back to enter into the conversation.
AnneBoleyn

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Betty Boop;1517289 wrote: I'm off to shuffle my Tarot Deck and predict whether Rachel will be back to enter into the conversation.

Betty, I looked into my crystal ball (okay, my glass doorknob) and it said YES:

readingsbyrachel;1517279 wrote: Thank you for your replies.
LarsMac

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by LarsMac »

So, readingsbyrachel, Tell me. How do you get paid for shilling for the owner of the site you are posting for?
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by Betty Boop »

AnneBoleyn;1517292 wrote: Betty, I looked into my crystal ball (okay, my glass doorknob) and it said YES:

That's not entering into conversation though is it :wah: she's peddling her wares, pure and simple.

You'd be jealous of my crystal ball, it's rather stunning :)
FourPart

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by FourPart »

The cards are supposed to have different meanings as to which way up they are placed.

Basically, just as with any "Psychic Reading", it's just the same as any Medicine Show, you play it to tell the client exactly what they want to hear - often by asking 'Open Negative' questions, such as "The name Jane doesn't mean anything to you does it?". If the answer is "No", then the response is "No, I thought not". If the answer is "Yes", then the answer is something like "Yes, I thought so. She's trying to say something...". Then it's up to the client to provide all the information for the 'Psychic'.

Just as with any Religion, it's a matter of playing to the Gullible with deliberate interpretations of what people want to hear.
Betty Boop

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by Betty Boop »

FourPart;1517390 wrote: The cards are supposed to have different meanings as to which way up they are placed.

Basically, just as with any "Psychic Reading", it's just the same as any Medicine Show, you play it to tell the client exactly what they want to hear - often by asking 'Open Negative' questions, such as "The name Jane doesn't mean anything to you does it?". If the answer is "No", then the response is "No, I thought not". If the answer is "Yes", then the answer is something like "Yes, I thought so. She's trying to say something...". Then it's up to the client to provide all the information for the 'Psychic'.

Just as with any Religion, it's a matter of playing to the Gullible with deliberate interpretations of what people want to hear.

I've seen that being done but what about distance readings? How does the 'reader' get their information with no feedback?
FourPart

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by FourPart »

Betty Boop;1517392 wrote: I've seen that being done but what about distance readings? How does the 'reader' get their information with no feedback?
You never read the Horoscopes in the papers / mags. Pick any one of them at random & you'll find a way to make it suit your own circumstances.
Betty Boop

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by Betty Boop »

FourPart;1517394 wrote: You never read the Horoscopes in the papers / mags. Pick any one of them at random & you'll find a way to make it suit your own circumstances.

It was a genuine question that you avoided to answer.

No I don't read horoscopes in the paper, I don't buy newspapers and I have known for years that horoscopes are generally written by people who are not spiritual. I used to work with someone who earned a good living writing them.
Clodhopper

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by Clodhopper »

I was once subjected to a tarot reading by my then wife and a friend. It predicted the end of my marriage completely accurately. MY life had just about every disaster card you can get.

Woohoo.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
theia

Are Tarot cards scary?

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1517300 wrote: That's not entering into conversation though is it :wah: she's peddling her wares, pure and simple.

You'd be jealous of my crystal ball, it's rather stunning :)

I think you showed me a photograph of it some while ago and yes, it is stunning
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke

Return to “General Religious Discussions”