Minor irritations

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Minor irritations

Post by Bruv »

Why do people stand chatting at crucial points like super market entrances, or in aisles with both trolleys strategically placed for maximum blockage ?

And why don't they realise there is a queue of people either side of them trying to pass ?

If it's not the persistent aisle blockers there are the heads down texters walking blindly oblivious to everybody around them.

And what about those motorised hooligans in electric armchairs thundering along footpaths at many times walking speed. I meet an old granny regularly zooming off footpath ramps into the road doing virtual wheelies..........frightens the life out of me every time.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Betty Boop

Minor irritations

Post by Betty Boop »

Some people seem to just live in their own self serving bubble it seems to me.

My Mother at 84 now doesn't care who she holds up/walks out in front of/bashes with her wheeled trolley, she has the opinion she's older and they should move or wait for her :wah:
LarsMac

Minor irritations

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1514621 wrote: Why do people stand chatting at crucial points like super market entrances, or in aisles with both trolleys strategically placed for maximum blockage ?

And why don't they realise there is a queue of people either side of them trying to pass ?

If it's not the persistent aisle blockers there are the heads down texters walking blindly oblivious to everybody around them.

And what about those motorised hooligans in electric armchairs thundering along footpaths at many times walking speed. I meet an old granny regularly zooming off footpath ramps into the road doing virtual wheelies..........frightens the life out of me every time.

To the first point, I've often wondered that, myself. I was at the Corp offices the other day, and needed to collect some documents that I had sent to the printer. three engineers were standing there chatting, right at the entrance to the print area, and they seemed oblivious to my presence. I had to squeeze around them to get to the printer and scan my badge, and enter the info to get my docs.

As I was leaving, instead of gong around them, I walked right into the middle of them and then paused to inspect my documents before returning to my desk. So, now they are looking around me to continue their conversation. To their credit, they never missed a beat. Their focus was inspiring.

The other place they like to congregate is right in front of the rest rooms. Or at the entrance to the elevator.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Minor irritations

Post by Wandrin »

Wow. It is very interesting to discover that these things are international in scope.
Bruv

Minor irritations

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1514622 wrote: Some people seem to just live in their own self serving bubble it seems to me.

My Mother at 84 now doesn't care who she holds up/walks out in front of/bashes with her wheeled trolley, she has the opinion she's older and they should move or wait for her :wah:

I agree with your mother, in this instance, unless she is grumpy with it.
Bruv

Minor irritations

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1514623 wrote: So, now they are looking around me to continue their conversation. To their credit, they never missed a beat. Their focus was inspiring.

To be fair their business was obviously more important than yours.
LarsMac

Minor irritations

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1514626 wrote: To be fair their business was obviously more important than yours.

I am certain that the fate of the local Basketball franchise was far more important than any possible business with the printer/copier could have been.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Minor irritations

Post by magentaflame »

Yep, thats what it was like at the melbourne cup. One path off the grass for thousands to go from one section to another......guess where everyone would stop to take group photos?

As far as the grannies in their motorised chair? I do remember the sense of power pushing a large pram around. People would get out of the way
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Minor irritations

Post by magentaflame »

Oops...forgot the usual pun line.

Minor irritations.....you can get a cream for that.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
FourPart

Minor irritations

Post by FourPart »

I've always said Supermarkets should have one way systems and / or lanes marked in the aisles - drive on the left, sort of thing.

Men have a tendency of knowing what they want & where to find it. Grab it & get out. Women tend to make it into a leisure activity. But worst of all are those that are walking along at a decent pace, then suddenly stop dead, right in front of you.
magentaflame

Minor irritations

Post by magentaflame »

FourPart;1514674 wrote: I've always said Supermarkets should have one way systems and / or lanes marked in the aisles - drive on the left, sort of thing.

Men have a tendency of knowing what they want & where to find it. Grab it & get out. Women tend to make it into a leisure activity. But worst of all are those that are walking along at a decent pace, then suddenly stop dead, right in front of you.

Sexism.....this early in the morning. Keep believing what marketing is telling you.

FFS!
Wandrin

Minor irritations

Post by Wandrin »

Gender aside, some people display a talent or proclivity for essentially blocking the aisles or access to some shelves while they seemingly ponder the meaning of life (or whatever else they are thinking about). They also seemingly have a sixth sense and know just when to move to the left or right to further block access.
spot

Minor irritations

Post by spot »

I taught all of my children hand gestures for non-verbal signalling when outdoors, it prevented issues with blocked sidewalks and the like. I could shift them round town like a collie moves sheep.

The problem-people are those who walk side by side but then won't notice any need to drop back into single file when approaching others. There's also what we in the UK call Street Furniture, every last bit of which should be scrapped by law and never allowed to return. We get A-frame adverts three feet high, chained to street signs or just free-standing, we get ill-positioned litter bins, dog bins, flower bins, fifty signposts where none would be a far better number, bicycle racks in which I have never yet seen a single bicycle that wasn't tied there as scrap disposal, all of it should be barred. And, ultimately, cars. And coffee vendors, peanut sellers singing inappropriate bits of Mary Poppins, advertising newspaper boxes, scaffolding and workmen digging up everything in sight.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Minor irritations

Post by Bruv »

You can't use the word sidewalk and then explain "what we in the UK call Street Furniture".....it's a pavement.....OK ?

Think you went a little over the top with banning lamp posts and cars though....................are you a bit anti social ?
Ahso!

Minor irritations

Post by Ahso! »

Bruv;1514693 wrote: You can't use the word sidewalk and then explain "what we in the UK call Street Furniture".....it's a pavement.....OK ?

Think you went a little over the top with banning lamp posts and cars though....................are you a bit anti social ?It made me think of the 2017 trailer for Curb Your Enthusiasm.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Minor irritations

Post by gmc »

One of my pet hates is people walking while looking at their phone oblivious to anything around them. On one occasion I was sitting in a lorry 8ft across 13 ft high in a pedestrian precinct (I was delivering to one of the shops) with the engine running when this bloke walked in to the front of it - OK that wasn't irritating it was funny but had I been a pedestrian he would have knocked me over:mad:
magentaflame

Minor irritations

Post by magentaflame »

Bruv;1514693 wrote: You can't use the word sidewalk and then explain "what we in the UK call Street Furniture".....it's a pavement.....OK ??

No its not...its a 'footpath'.

After your diatribe Spot, i think i need a valium.
gmc

Minor irritations

Post by gmc »

magentaflame;1514716 wrote: No its not...its a 'footpath'.

After your diatribe Spot, i think i need a valium.

No it isn't bruv is right it's a pavement I'm shocked at spot using such americanisms.
Bruv

Minor irritations

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1514720 wrote: No it isn't bruv is right it's a pavement I'm shocked at spot using such americanisms.

Whatever next ?
gmc

Minor irritations

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1514723 wrote: Whatever next ?

He'll be giving up his cloth cap for a stetso.
magentaflame

Minor irritations

Post by magentaflame »

gmc;1514720 wrote: No it isn't bruv is right it's a pavement I'm shocked at spot using such americanisms.

Listen mush......i didnt come here for an argument.
tude dog

Minor irritations

Post by tude dog »

Whenever I bought a car from a dealership the first thing to go was the license plate frame with their logo.

I don't know when but car dealerships started putting logo stickers on the back of cars they sell. I see these and am insulted that they would put it right on the paint of the car, and I didn't even buy the darn cars.

This past year I bought a used car from a dealership, the first car I bought in 17 years and be damned it did not come with the sticker logo.

How to remove a dealer sticker from the back of your car.

It wasn't difficult to remove, but damnit anyway.

In my case all I did was wash the sticker, pull it then use dish soap to clean the glue.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
magentaflame

Minor irritations

Post by magentaflame »

magentaflame;1514754 wrote: Listen mush......i didnt come here for an argument.

Oops.....probably should have put a laughy man on that post....sorry
gmc

Minor irritations

Post by gmc »

magentaflame;1514830 wrote: Oops.....probably should have put a laughy man on that post....sorry

Don't worry I made allowances for you being an australian.:sneaky: Actually I do come here for an argument or discussion if you prefer. I get fed up with the posters that seem to be incapable of actually engaging in debate.
FourPart

Minor irritations

Post by FourPart »

magentaflame;1514754 wrote: Listen mush......i didnt come here for an argument.

Mush? That's a Southampton term.
Bruv

Minor irritations

Post by Bruv »

I am about to visit the smallest room, I am about to have a comfort break...............again.

I remember once upon a time I used to urinate once a day max................these days it's every 5 minutes at least................what is happening to me ?
spot

Minor irritations

Post by spot »

Diabetes. Get some test strips from the chemist and check tomorrow.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Minor irritations

Post by tude dog »

We don't live near many stores so for many things we depend on mail order. Besides being expensive, the shippers overpack in a most wasteful way.

Latest example is a item 2.25"x1.75"x.50" [5.71cm x 4.44cm x 1.27cm] packeged likes this.

In the left picture, you can see the big bubble stuffing.

Now imagine a produce the size of a 30lb [11.3kg] bag of dog food. The box is just way to large, difficult to carry, and the bag sloshing back and forth.

You might ask why order dog food when there is plenty at to local grocery store?? It happens when the boss of the house decides that the normal stuff dogs been feed since forever is not good enough.

Well, I did find a feed store some distance away from where I could buy the more expensive stuff and not deal with bags loose in boxes, and I am sure the UPS guys are just as happy.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.

Return to “General Chit Chat”