What's Your New Year's Resoution?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Soooo....I never was very good at New Year's resolutions as a young man. I'd pick ridiculously large goals, or even impossible ones.

Now that I'm older, I finally figured it out. Just pick ONE small attainable goal that you'd like to do. You'll break it a couple of times, but if you keep trying, it will eventually become habit and part of your new personality.

For example: Even though I don't go to church anymore and have a very large view of Creation, (I'm a mathematician and scientist, so I tend to consider the entire Universe in religious discussions, which makes me slightly intolerant of narrow views of God) I still find that I don't enjoy taking the Lord's name in vain.

It seemed to me that everyone was "OMG this" and "OMG that." So a couple of years ago, I resolved to stop doing that. And guess what? I did it. I only say "Oh my goodness!" or "Gosh!" now. Sure it's a euphemism, but that's OK, I feel better.

This year I resolved to make sure to stay in contact with my wife more when I'm out an about. I tend to get focused on projects and goals and forget to call her.

Easy, huh? Small but important to me.

So what's your resolution?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Good luck with your goal, Saint. I've never been one for new year resolutions. Not because I'm cynical about it, I'm just not goal oriented - never have been.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

UNAFRAID

I will not let FEARS control my thoughts, my actions, my Life.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

This year, I resolve to follow my doctor's instructions as written, rather than doing a freeform interpretive dance around them as I have so often done in the past.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I'm keeping to the one I made many years ago - not to make any.
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

I don't usually make New Year's resolutions, but I would like to get back to the gym this year.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I have to sneak up on mine from behind and mug 'em. So I can't tell you what mine is because it might hear...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “General Chit Chat”