Is God Real?

Ted

Is God Real?

Post by Ted »

Science is about the physical whereas the idea of God is about spiritual things.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1513522 wrote: Science is about the physical whereas the idea of God is about spiritual things.

The Spiritual is always greater than the physical.
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1513550 wrote: The Spiritual is always greater than the physical.Not surprising you'd say something like this. BTW - how are you feeling? Cancer any worse?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1513562 wrote: Not surprising you'd say something like this. BTW - how are you feeling? Cancer any worse?

I am feeling fine, thank you very much. Next month it will be one year since they told me I will pass away. The cancer is not getting any worse, and it keeps slowly getting better. So I am very thankful to God and the VA.
Ted

Is God Real?

Post by Ted »

Mickiel glad to hear that.. Science is not se3t up to study spirituality or anything to do with it. Wehn a scientist pontificates like dawkins H=he clearly Knows nothing about what he is speaking.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1513615 wrote: Mickiel glad to hear that.. Science is not se3t up to study spirituality or anything to do with it. Wehn a scientist pontificates like dawkins H=he clearly Knows nothing about what he is speaking.

Morgan Freeman is trying to study the two, some of his work on film is of interest, if you like the study channel.
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

Mick, are you actually in contact with the creator? I mean, do you talk to him and does he listen to you and does he talk back nicely?

I'm just wondering, could you give him a message from me? I don't think he likes me and therefore probably ignores me.

Anyway, if it's not too much to ask, could you tell him that I think he's a failure and complete a$$hole?

Thanks, mate.
Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1513990 wrote: Mick, are you actually in contact with the creator? I mean, do you talk to him and does he listen to you and does he talk back nicely?

I'm just wondering, could you give him a message from me? I don't think he likes me and therefore probably ignores me.

Anyway, if it's not too much to ask, could you tell him that I think he's a failure and complete a$$hole?

Thanks, mate.

God has only communicated with me once, and that was about a month ago. I was in serious doubt of my life, having lung cancer now for 2 years and 8 months. A year ago the doctors told me I have only a few months to live. So last month I prayed very hard for God to let me know what is going on. I was awake one day and he told my consciousness one thing; only a few words, and I heard those words. God simply said, " Your alive" , as long as your alive then you live. And it was very moving. I cannot give your message, but God already knows how you feel; he knows!

And join the rest of us, God ignores me as well. That was the only time in 62 years that he communicated with me. And said only about 9 words. I understand somewhat how you feel. But God is not an *******. What he is, I only know a little bit.
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

Mickiel;1514093 wrote:

But God is not an *******. What he is, I only know a little bit.
Yes, you're right, god is not a series of asterisks. He's just an imagination.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1514105 wrote: Yes, you're right, god is not a series of asterisks. He's just an imagination.

I imagine that God is many things; I like my imagination, it helps me continually.

I imagine that God is real. But I have had my doubts over the years, so I understand others having that. It seems to good to be true at times. I imagine that something cannot bring itself into existence, since it must exist to bring itself into existence. So my imagination is often a teacher of common sense to me.

Peace.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Mickiel;1514107 wrote: I imagine that God is many things; I like my imagination, it helps me continually.

I imagine that God is real. But I have had my doubts over the years, so I understand others having that. It seems to good to be true at times. I imagine that something cannot bring itself into existence, since it must exist to bring itself into existence. So my imagination is often a teacher of common sense to me.

Peace.

Is God real? Oh what a question. Last month I seriously prayed and asked God to have communication with me that I can clearly understand his existence. He responded, to my surprise and joy. But that took 62 years to even happen. Was it because I was seriously in need of him confirming his existence? I think that was a part of it. And he responded with just 9 words, that both shook me and helped my belief. The simplicity of what he said was astounding. I doubted my life, having cancer. He just said, " Your alive"; simple and to the point. How did I know it was him? Well it was like something I never experienced before; it was powerful; it was simple truth; it was inspiring; it was to the point of my most serious need.

Him being so simple surprised me, I had thought IF I got a response, it would be pragmatic and intellectually stunning. It was just the plain truth.

I learned something about God from that.
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1514110 wrote: Is God real? Oh what a question. Last month I seriously prayed and asked God to have communication with me that I can clearly understand his existence. He responded, to my surprise and joy. But that took 62 years to even happen. Was it because I was seriously in need of him confirming his existence? I think that was a part of it. And he responded with just 9 words, that both shook me and helped my belief. The simplicity of what he said was astounding. I doubted my life, having cancer. He just said, " Your alive"; simple and to the point. How did I know it was him? Well it was like something I never experienced before; it was powerful; it was simple truth; it was inspiring; it was to the point of my most serious need.

Him being so simple surprised me, I had thought IF I got a response, it would be pragmatic and intellectually stunning. It was just the plain truth.

I learned something about God from that.

Why do you pray? Why do you think that that is the best method to appeal to God communicatively?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1514112 wrote: Why do you pray? Why do you think that that is the best method to appeal to God communicatively?

I pray because of the path I walk. And I don't know the best way to communicate with God.
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

I believe in the possibility that a creator (god) exists. But I don't think it would be the god of the bible and I don't think praying to him/her/it will make a difference to the outcome.

If there is a creator then who or what created the creator or what caused the creator to be?

There are still too many unanswered questions for me to believe in an invisible entity.
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1514115 wrote: I pray because of the path I walk. And I don't know the best way to communicate with God.I guess I didn't phrase that question correctly. My point is that prayer is a traditional discipline religious people exercise in order to plead to, or offer thanks to, their God. However, these people believe that this is what their God requires, which means they understand the demands of God, which also means that they think they understand the personality of their God.

You, OTOH, say you don't know or understand your God. So why pray? What makes you think this is what your God requires in order to communicate with "him". You were apparently hoping for some sort of sign or "word" from God, yet you claim you don't even know if this is what God would want you to be doing. Quite honestly, Mickey, you're all over the place. Now before you go getting defensive again, remember that all I've been doing here is reflect back to you what you yourself have posted on this forum.

Let's address the "him" part while we're at it. If you don't know or understand God, why are you addressing God as if God is a male? I personally would not apply a gender to any God I would believe in because, well, it's sexist. That said. I admit to addressing God as "him" when I was a believer, and that became one of the many issues I could no longer ignore.

My point in all this is that while you claim you are not a traditional religious God believer, you appear to hold an awful lot of the traditional Christian practices and speak the language pretty fluently. You probably haven't thought about that, but it's revealing to someone like me who observes religious people.

Consider the fact that there are about seven people currently active on this site who openly believe in God or spirituality in some form or degree with no two exact matches. You all disagree with each other and all claim to be unique in your whateverthefukitisyoubelieve. And the bunch of you go about contradicting each other and most go about correcting the others. How many true Gods are there, FFS?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

Fuzzy;1514165 wrote: I believe in the possibility that a creator (god) exists.It requires a lot of delusions and denial. Every bit of reality contradicts it. The more one learns about life the less sense the existence of any creator makes.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

Ahso!;1514175 wrote: It requires a lot of delusions and denial. Every bit of reality contradicts it. The more one learns about life the less sense the existence of any creator makes.

I didn't say I believe in a creator, just the possibility that one may exist. It is also possible that a creator does not exist. Nobody can prove either way in my opinion.

But let's assume for a moment that there has been a creator. It is my believe that that creator couldn't give a hoot about us or anything.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Fuzzy;1514165 wrote: I believe in the possibility that a creator (god) exists. But I don't think it would be the god of the bible and I don't think praying to him/her/it will make a difference to the outcome.

If there is a creator then who or what created the creator or what caused the creator to be?

There are still too many unanswered questions for me to believe in an invisible entity.

Not to bore you about things, but I have found biblical hints that God, at the very least, created parts of himself. And has been extending on that ever since. In my personal view, life and the reality of it, needed at least one being that was uncreated to both create and maintain human life and universal life, to avoid us from going back into the past and infinity for answers.

There are too many unanswered questions for me to give up on searching, but I think humanity has a reserved seat in eternity for when the details of knowledge we now don't even know, begin to unravel and be revealed.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1514174 wrote: I guess I didn't phrase that question correctly. My point is that prayer is a traditional discipline religious people exercise in order to plead to, or offer thanks to, their God. However, these people believe that this is what their God requires, which means they understand the demands of God, which also means that they think they understand the personality of their God.

You, OTOH, say you don't know or understand your God. So why pray? What makes you think this is what your God requires in order to communicate with "him". You were apparently hoping for some sort of sign or "word" from God, yet you claim you don't even know if this is what God would want you to be doing. Quite honestly, Mickey, you're all over the place. Now before you go getting defensive again, remember that all I've been doing here is reflect back to you what you yourself have posted on this forum.

Let's address the "him" part while we're at it. If you don't know or understand God, why are you addressing God as if God is a male? I personally would not apply a gender to any God I would believe in because, well, it's sexist. That said. I admit to addressing God as "him" when I was a believer, and that became one of the many issues I could no longer ignore.

My point in all this is that while you claim you are not a traditional religious God believer, you appear to hold an awful lot of the traditional Christian practices and speak the language pretty fluently. You probably haven't thought about that, but it's revealing to someone like me who observes religious people.

Consider the fact that there are about seven people currently active on this site who openly believe in God or spirituality in some form or degree with no two exact matches. You all disagree with each other and all claim to be unique in your whateverthefukitisyoubelieve. And the bunch of you go about contradicting each other and most go about correcting the others. How many true Gods are there, FFS?

Prayer is easy at some points, a bit harder at others; but it has its rewards. I really don't try to communicate with others here based on their beliefs or unbeliefs, and I rarely get along with other believers anyway. I am not traditional, and I think your right, I am all over the place with my conscious array of these most unusual things we are experiencing in just this life. I was born in confusion and religious people find me to be obtuse and weird. I understand that you hold a need to paint an always confusing picture of me; and I am confused about many things in life, but yet I still find myself learning all along the way.
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1514252 wrote: Prayer is easy at some points, a bit harder at others; but it has its rewards. I really don't try to communicate with others here based on their beliefs or unbeliefs, and I rarely get along with other believers anyway. I am not traditional, and I think your right, I am all over the place with my conscious array of these most unusual things we are experiencing in just this life. I was born in confusion and religious people find me to be obtuse and weird. I understand that you hold a need to paint an always confusing picture of me; and I am confused about many things in life, but yet I still find myself learning all along the way.You didn't quite comprehend my post, and as such, that allowed room for you to avoid making a relevant response. Though what little you did say serves to confirm my comments.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1514257 wrote: You didn't quite comprehend my post, and as such, that allowed room for you to avoid making a relevant response. Though what little you did say serves to confirm my comments.

Well it seems like your getting your way. So why continue having speaks with an illrevelant responder? Why should the great Ahso need my confirmations??
Ted

Is God Real?

Post by Ted »

Mickiel We don't always agree but at least it does become humorous. Good job.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1514320 wrote: Mickiel We don't always agree but at least it does become humorous. Good job.

Well yes it does. I have a sense of humor and so do many here, and as you pointed out, we may disagree but its unhealthy to get bent all out of shape concerning disagreements. And if I sense that a person has become irate over something I said, I often back peddle a little bit and inject a bit of humor, to try and sedate those kind of spirits that get out of control. And thank you for all that you have done to help.

But Formgarden is very tolerant and fair and patient, this I KNOW to be true.
Ted

Is God Real?

Post by Ted »

Mickiel what I see here among some is a lack of knowledge. Many are describing, like Dawkins, a church that has not existed for a very long time. Any way there is no law against ignorance. At least none that I am recently familiar. Dawkins didn't do his research like a good scientist. Some like living in the past..
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1514361 wrote: Mickiel what I see here among some is a lack of knowledge. Many are describing, like Dawkins, a church that has not existed for a very long time. Any way there is no law against ignorance. At least none that I am recently familiar. Dawkins didn't do his research like a good scientist. Some like living in the past..

Well that will change up ahead somewhere, they will snap out of it and knowledge will increase. Daniel 12:4, " But you, O Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, even till the time of the end, many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased." So God himself had spiritual knowledge cut off for a long time; knowledge actually decreased during this time. I think we now live in the age where God opens it back up and removes the " Seal', or the blockage he put on understanding. So your seeing the results of something God did. That is WHY this thing is so powerful; because God is behind it.

Often when we see something very powerful and mysterious , we may be seeing God at work. When we see something affects the people like nothing else, and its unstoppable; well it may be God behind it.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ted

Is God Real?

Post by Ted »

The idea or concept of hell was borrowed from the Mesopotamians.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1514426 wrote: The idea or concept of hell was borrowed from the Mesopotamians.

It was one hell of an ideal.
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1514554 wrote: It was one hell of an ideal.Look at you using humorous irony. Good job, Mickey. Was it intentional?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1514613 wrote: Look at you using humorous irony. Good job, Mickey. Was it intentional?

Oh yes, very intentional. It gives us a chance to laugh , take in some new fresh air, and breathe again while our conscious mind set can recharge. Me and Ted were just talking about using humor, so the time was right to use it again.
Ted

Is God Real?

Post by Ted »

Mickiel good post..
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1514676 wrote: Mickiel good post..

Thank you I have suffered long with this thread, and so have others; we all deserve a good laugh as we suffer with long threads!

Is God real, is a most interesting question, about a debatable topic. I feel a certain way about my Mom, I love her with a love that is real. Someone may ask me to prove it, prove that I love her, and that may not be easy to do. I know I do, she knows I did, to us both our love was clear. To some others they saw it; but to some who did not know her or me that well, its not an easy thing to prove. So it is with God. Proving things about God is not easy. You can't prove things about God to those who do not even think he is real.

But the younger I was, the more daring I was.
Ted

Is God Real?

Post by Ted »

Mickiel I've read lots of logical attempts to prove the existence of God and they all fail. However I do believe in the reality of God. My experience has been enough for me. I have to laugh at some: This is what you actually experienced. They arfe not me and thus they cannot know what I experienced.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1514735 wrote: Mickiel I've read lots of logical attempts to prove the existence of God and they all fail. However I do believe in the reality of God. My experience has been enough for me. I have to laugh at some: This is what you actually experienced. They arfe not me and thus they cannot know what I experienced.

Well yes, personal experience can be hard to explain to others who have not experienced what you have. Common experiences they may light up and see what you are saying. In example , like having trouble getting to sleep. They may understand that, because they may have experienced it themselves or someone they know may have trouble sleeping. To those who have no experience of God, they must either go on faith, search for evidence themselves or just admit there is nothing there for them to latch on to. Some may not want to accept anything whatsoever concerning God. Those are they who have a will, but will always be of the same opinion still.

Belief in God MUST be a personal experience in fact. And even in that, God may not ever reveal himself to a believer, for his own reasons. Notice Isaiah 45:15, " For sure you are a God who hides himself!" So some of us, in fact I think most of us, will never experience direct communication with God in this life, only the life to come. Not quite sure why that is, but it is! Look at Isaiah 48:11, " For my own sake, even for my own sake", I will do it! Here we see God does things " For his own reasons!" If he ignores you, its for a reason.

Hey, in Isaiah 52:10 " All the ends of the earth SHALL SEE the Salvation of God!" So our time will come when there will be no more of this God hiding himself from us. We will all see and understand just what is going on, and what God personally thinks of you. God has taken care of all the things that we have fallen prey to. Isaiah 53:6, Jesus has ALL sin covered! God loves the unbeliever just as much as he does the believer. In fact, the unbeliever has more needs, so Christ has come especially for them. Jesus taught that he came NOT to call the righteous, or believers, but for sinners to repentance, or unbelievers!

So we all have a personal experience coming.
Ted

Is God Real?

Post by Ted »

Some simply do not open themselves to that experience. That's OK to as it is not my problem.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Happy Thanksgiving!
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Is God real? Well you are real, what makes you more special and alive than God?
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Mickiel;1515049 wrote: Is God real? Well you are real, what makes you more special and alive than God?

Humans have the gall to doubt their creators existence; why? Well because they really don't know; which is not their fault. God has more than enough power to convince, he just has not used it.

But he will; just not today.
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1515050 wrote: Humans have the gall to doubt their creators existence; why? Well because they really don't know; No, Mickey, this is completely incorrect for many of us who have actually examined the issue of God - we know there is no God - no lack of surety whatsoever. Mickiel;1515050 wrote: God has more than enough power to convince, he just has not used it.Incorrect again, Mickey. No convincing has been employed because none exists. See how logic and common sense works?

Mickiel;1515050 wrote: But he will; just not today.I keep asking you religious people why God has a gender, but you never answer. Does God have a penis? Or does God not have a vagina?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1515052 wrote:

I keep asking you religious people why God has a gender, but you never answer. Does God have a penis? Or does God not have a vigina?

I keep telling you that I am not religious, so when you respect that, I'll answer the question.
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1515057 wrote: I keep telling you that I am not religious, so when you respect that, I'll answer the question.

I've pointed out in the past that you are in fact religious in spite of your denial. However, I'll word the question more to your liking so I can be schooled on why God is a male.

I keep asking you God-believers why God has a gender, but you never answer. Does God have a penis? Or does God not have a vagina?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1515066 wrote: I've pointed out in the past that you are in fact religious in spite of your denial. However, I'll word the question more to your liking so I can be schooled on why God is a male.

I keep asking you God-believers why God has a gender, but you never answer. Does God have a penis? Or does God not have a vagina?

Thank you. Wherever you learned God has a gender, it was wrong; he does not. God is not a physical being, he has no physical body. He is a Spirit being; genderless and having no reproductive organ. God has no gender; the use of describing " Him" in male terms, is just metaphor. We do not know what God is, other than a Spirit. Why the bible uses " A male metaphor", is unclear to me. I think it has to do with God being the head, or Father of all things, and just to help us humans comprehend that, the male term is used.
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1515125 wrote: Thank you. Wherever you learned God has a gender, it was wrong; he does not. God is not a physical being, he has no physical body. He is a Spirit being; genderless and having no reproductive organ. God has no gender; the use of describing " Him" in male terms, is just metaphor. We do not know what God is, other than a Spirit. Why the bible uses " A male metaphor", is unclear to me. I think it has to do with God being the head, or Father of all things, and just to help us humans comprehend that, the male term is used.

Interesting! You appear to be saying that God doesn't mind whatever label humans apply to him. Because, seriously, you'd think that of all the labels that could be applied to God the least appreciated would be, first, any variant of "Satan", and second "man". Both rebelled against God and betrayed him and his intended original plan for man.

And here you are making a big deal about having the "religious" label applied to you.

So, who's more of a "man", you or God? (be careful, that's a trick question)?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1515143 wrote: Interesting! You appear to be saying that God doesn't mind whatever label humans apply to him. Because, seriously, you'd think that of all the labels that could be applied to God the least appreciated would be, first, any variant of "Satan", and second "man". Both rebelled against God and betrayed him and his intended original plan for man.

And here you are making a big deal about having the "religious" label applied to you.

So, who's more of a "man", you or God? (be careful, that's a trick question)?

If you think its a big deal, ask your big questions to someone else.
Mickiel

Is God Real?

Post by Mickiel »

God is real, but hey, prove to me he is not. I'm all ears.
Ahso!

Is God Real?

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1515259 wrote: God is real, but hey, prove to me he is not. I'm all ears.Prove to me you're not religious.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Fuzzy

Is God Real?

Post by Fuzzy »

Prove to me Santa is not real.
Ted

Is God Real?

Post by Ted »

The spirit of Santa Claus is indeed very real as the spirit of God.
Lizzie

Is God Real?

Post by Lizzie »

God is real and I believe by faith. I also know that not everybody will believe and it's not our job to convince anybody. Our job is to be ready to answer questions when asked.

1 Peter 3:15 You must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if you are asked about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it.

Matthew 11:15 "He that has ears to hear, let them hear."
Hopeless optimist and irritating ray of sunshine!
Ted

Is God Real?

Post by Ted »

I most certainly can agree that Mickiel is not religious. Men like Bonhoeffer wrote "Religion less Christianity". Dianna Butler-Bass wrote "Christianity After Religion". One does not have to be Christian and religious. People can be either one or the other or both.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”