new to site

New member introductions. Tell us a little about yourself. Then, click on "Blogs" above and start your own personal blog!
gary28mr

new to site

Post by gary28mr »

hello everyone . my name is Gary. I am 56 years old.I live in Greenville s.c in the USA.i am retired.because of congestive heart failure. I was in the army 26 years.

please always remember. in our discussions,

nothing personal.
Ahso!

new to site

Post by Ahso! »

Hi Gary! Pleasure and welcome!

Tell us about yourself, if you feel up to it.

1)Married - divorced - widowed?

2)kids - grandkids?

3)Straight or gay?

4)Music?

5)conservative or liberal?

6)Religious or educated?

7)Nationalistic or individualist?

8)Activist or observer?

9)Trump?

That should get us started!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

new to site

Post by LarsMac »

Welcome, Gary.

AHSO left out an important question.

Gamecocks or Tigers?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

new to site

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1515054 wrote:

GamecocksWhat a wonderfully appropriate name for a football team. I never heard it before!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

new to site

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1515055 wrote: What a wonderfully appropriate name for a football team. I never heard it before!

You've probably never encountered Gamecocks in real life before, either, I'll wager.

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

new to site

Post by gmc »

Welcome. What is it we have to remember congestivbe heart failure or that you were in the army?
tazzy

new to site

Post by tazzy »

Hello
magentaflame

new to site

Post by magentaflame »

Nothing personal....it has to be personal to someone.

Welcome.

Gamecocks....:yh_rotfl ...."snort"
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Ahso!

new to site

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1515064 wrote: You've probably never encountered Gamecocks in real life before, either, I'll wager.Not that kind, no I haven't. But don't get me started.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Saint_

new to site

Post by Saint_ »

gary28mr;1515043 wrote: hello everyone . my name is Gary. I am 56 years old.I live in Greenville s.c in the USA.i am retired.because of congestive heart failure. I was in the army 26 years.

nothing personal.

Welcome Gary! (Saint shakes Gary's hand vigorously) It's a small community, but very diverse. And ignore Ahso! Apparently "nothing personal" was lost to them.
Ahso!

new to site

Post by Ahso! »

Saint_;1515106 wrote: Welcome Gary! (Saint shakes Gary's hand vigorously) It's a small community, but very diverse. And ignore Ahso! Apparently "nothing personal" was lost to them.If one considers diversity as variants of Christianity.

Look who's being personal.

As an aside: I've often wondered: why Saint and not Lazarus? Or does it stand for Saint Lazarus?

Just asking!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

new to site

Post by spot »

gary28mr;1515043 wrote: hello everyone . my name is Gary. I am 56 years old.I live in Greenville s.c in the USA.i am retired.because of congestive heart failure. I was in the army 26 years.

nothing personal.

We're delighted to see you.

The way to talk about topics you're comfortable with is to start your own threads and then be very rude to anyone who oversteps your line in them.

That, oddly enough, is - and is intended as - good advice. If you dislike someone else's thread, don't pile in. If someone disrespects you in a thread you started, make them miserable. The only curator of your thread is you unless a moderator loses patience, and we try hard not to do that.

I know, admins aren't meant to say things like this but you asked and I've helped.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

new to site

Post by Ahso! »

Did Gary mean that he didn't want to divulge personal information by his "nothing personal" comment, or did he mean no personal attacks? I took his comment as the latter because he already had, in fact, supplied personal info about himself in the OP.

Gary, if I've overstepped, I apologize, though, reading your OP it's very easy to see my point. Is it not?

ETA: it could have also meant that even if discussions become tense, not to take what's posted as "personal". This is the other interpretation I read into the OP.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

new to site

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1515119 wrote: ETA: it could have also meant that even if discussions become tense, not to take what's posted as "personal". This is the other interpretation I read into the OP.

I think "The Convention on Defusing Bulletin Board Discussions" says one may attack an argument by contesting a fact or by requiring justification for an opinion, but one may not attack the person who wrote the argument. I think Gary is asking for greater sensitivity than is offered by this gold standard, saying he might sink his teeth into you if you burn the Stars and Stripes where he can see you do it. Don't use the words Patriot or Warrior or Mattis in a demeaning manner, that sort of thing.

Having posted an average ten posts a week onto this site since birth [1] I've seen others behave the same way. I think it's healthy - threads like that become an equivalent of Korea's Joint Security Area. You can go there and come back having talked, while still taking very opposite positions.

[1]: 9.88, according to my calculator.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Saint_

new to site

Post by Saint_ »

Ahso!;1515113 wrote: If one considers diversity as variants of Christianity. Look who's being personal.

I was just kidding around with you... :D

As an aside: I've often wondered: why Saint and not Lazarus? Or does it stand for Saint Lazarus?

Just asking!

That's a personal question! (Just kidding again!) LOL!

Actually, Saint is my middle name. But there really was a Saint Ives (My last name)...

St. Ives

St. Ives, born at Kermartin, near Tréguier, Brittany, 17 October, 1253; died at Louannec, 19 May, 1303, was the son of Helori, lord of Kermartin, and Azo du Kenquis. In 1267 Ives was sent to the University of Paris, where he graduated in civil law. He went to Orléans in 1277 to study canon law. On his return to Brittany having received minor orders he was appointed "official", or ecclesiastical judge, of the archdeanery of Rennes (1280); meanwhile he studied Scripture, and there are strong reasons for holding that he joined the Franciscan Tertiaries sometime later at Guingamp. He was soon invited by the Bishop of Tréguier to become his "official", and accepted the offer (1284). He displayed great zeal and rectitude in the discharge of his duty and did not hesitate to resist the unjust taxation of the king, which he considered an encroachment on the rights of the Church; by his charity he gained the title of advocate and patron of the poor. Having been ordained he was appointed to the parish of Tredrez in 1285 and eight years later to Louannec, where he died. He was buried in Tréguier, and was canonized in 1347 by Clement VI, his feast being kept on 19 May. He is the patron of lawyers, though not, it is said, their model, for — "Sanctus Ivo erat Brito, Advocatus et non latro, Res miranda populo."

Advocate for the poor...strange. And here I am, seven centuries later, his direct descendant and what do I do for a living? I am a teacher at an Alternative High School stocked with...you guessed it...the poor!

Life is indeed strange, is it not?
spot

new to site

Post by spot »

I bet if he'd had direct descendants he'd not have been canonized! Frowned on back then, descending while being a Franciscan, you hat to be at least Pope to get away with it.
Saint_

new to site

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1515122 wrote: I bet if he'd had direct descendants he'd not have been canonized! Frowned on back then, descending while being a Franciscan, you hat to be at least Pope to get away with it.

lol! Ok then, indirect!
YZGI

new to site

Post by YZGI »

I laughed at Ahso's question #6) Religious or educated?

Asked to an 26 year veteran with congestive heart failure.

If you're still lurking around don't mind Ahso. He's harmless.
Ahso!

new to site

Post by Ahso! »

Ah, a glimpse back to the way FG used to be. I miss that.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

new to site

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1515120 wrote: I think "The Convention on Defusing Bulletin Board Discussions" says one may attack an argument by contesting a fact or by requiring justification for an opinion, but one may not attack the person who wrote the argument. I think Gary is asking for greater sensitivity than is offered by this gold standard, saying he might sink his teeth into you if you burn the Stars and Stripes where he can see you do it. Don't use the words Patriot or Warrior or Mattis in a demeaning manner, that sort of thing.

Having posted an average ten posts a week onto this site since birth [1] I've seen others behave the same way. I think it's healthy - threads like that become an equivalent of Korea's Joint Security Area. You can go there and come back having talked, while still taking very opposite positions.

[1]: 9.88, according to my calculator.

You think it was a presumptive disclaimer of sorts (that's the best description I can come up with)? Interesting.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

new to site

Post by spot »

Perhaps he's just peeved at the constant sneering from unpatriotic folk who've never been there or done that whenever he's signed onto an Internet forum, so these days he kindly asks them not to when he registers.
Ahso!

new to site

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1515126 wrote: I laughed at Ahso's question #6) Religious or educated?

Asked to an 26 year veteran with congestive heart failure.Now, now! I'll bet Gary's no pussy! I'll go even further and say I wouldn't be surprised if he gave himself that CHF intentionally one day because he was bored and needed to feel alive.

YZGI;1515126 wrote: If you're still lurking around don't mind Ahso. He's harmless.This is true, I have no retort.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

new to site

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1515135 wrote: Now, now! I'll bet Gary's no pussy! I'll go even further and say I wouldn't be surprised if he gave himself that CHF intentionally one day because he was bored and needed to feel alive.

This is true, I have no retort.

Hey, At least you made me laugh.
Ahso!

new to site

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1515148 wrote: Hey, At least you made me laugh.That makes it all worth it!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
magentaflame

new to site

Post by magentaflame »

Ya barstards scared him off now.

Now poor Gary sits as a snail at the bottom of the sea, as a pet to a sea sponge.

See what you people do ?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Ahso!

new to site

Post by Ahso! »

magentaflame;1515197 wrote: Ya barstards scared him off now.

Now poor Gary sits as a snail at the bottom of the sea, as a pet to a sea sponge.

See what you people do ?Perhaps FG can find a layout in a design with crosshairs. That might have kept him.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

new to site

Post by spot »

It's a sorry state of affairs where the helpful friendly post ends up being mine. I have my reputation to consider.
gary28mr

new to site

Post by gary28mr »

ok sorry just getting use to site. so on questions.first no on trump.i would say more a liberal then a conservative.. i am straight. i am divorced. i had to retire from work . because of.congestive heart failure.on religious yes i do believe in god. on music i still listen to rock music.i would say more of a individualist.i have one son. he is 31.no grandchildren.
spot

new to site

Post by spot »

Greenville sounds interesting for several reasons. Are you passing through or permanent?

You've got one of those snake-oil Christian Fundamentalist Colleges that resemble backwoods madrassas in Pakistan but with money, for example. And an ice-hockey team.
Bruv

new to site

Post by Bruv »

What a load of piffle......piffle I said.

Hello Gary don't mind them............most of them are harmless.

Welcome.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Wandrin

new to site

Post by Wandrin »

Welcome Gary!
magentaflame

new to site

Post by magentaflame »

Bruv;1515305 wrote: What a load of piffle......piffle I said.

Hello Gary don't mind them............most of them are harmless.

Welcome.

Hee hee hee......you said. "Piffle"
magentaflame

new to site

Post by magentaflame »

gary28mr;1515299 wrote: ok sorry just getting use to site. so on questions.first no on trump.i would say more a liberal then a conservative.. i am straight. i am divorced. i had to retire from work . because of.congestive heart failure.on religious yes i do believe in god. on music i still listen to rock music.i would say more of a individualist.i have one son. he is 31.no grandchildren.

Gday Gary, welcome to the dark side, other side, inside, strange side, fringe.

Its okay that youre straight....we wont hold it against you.

I have three sons.

I listen mostly to music 1980's backwards to the invention of the harpsicord.
Ahso!

new to site

Post by Ahso! »

How familiar might you be with forums or other social sites, Gary?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
minks

new to site

Post by minks »

Poor Gary.

You all overwhelmed him.

Anyhoodle,

Welcome to the FG Gary, enjoy your stay and post often, and don't take it to seriously.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Clodhopper

new to site

Post by Clodhopper »

Hello Gary :)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
G#Gill

new to site

Post by G#Gill »

Hi Gary, welcome to FG, and as somebody said, don't be too worried about the members on here. Most (yes I did say most) are fairly harmless and treat the site as a bit of light relief. Others, however, get rather deeply entrenched in either politics, or religion, or even both and at the same time :rolleyes: In any case, please have an open mind and have a bag of salt beside you when you come online here. Whatever you do, please don't take the folks on here too seriously, although there are one or two occasions when a serious subject is brought to the fore.

In any case, do enjoy your stay on here and keep safe and well. :-6 ;) :)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
magentaflame

new to site

Post by magentaflame »

We must all be starved for new blood.4pages for someone who's posted twice since joining?????.
G#Gill

new to site

Post by G#Gill »

magentaflame;1515618 wrote: We must all be starved for new blood.4pages for someone who's posted twice since joining?????.

Gobsmackin' innit? Still it is actually an improvement on saturating the front page with religion or word games, or both ! :wah: oops ! :lips:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bruv

new to site

Post by Bruv »

magentaflame;1515618 wrote: We must all be starved for new blood.4pages for someone who's posted twice since joining?????.

Shuddup !!!.....you will frighten em away
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Ted

new to site

Post by Ted »

Welcome Gary.
Saint_

new to site

Post by Saint_ »

Welcome Gary!

Return to “Introductions”