Weather or not, be prepared! Ophelia is coming

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

When was the last time Ireland or the UK got a real, live Hurricane?

Hurricane Ophelia strengthens before storm reaches UK - BBC News
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Yeah, watching that one and have been for a few days. For me personally our most recent forecasts actually say we'll have calm weather but 23 or 25 degrees C which is 8 or 10 above normal - all the wind will be west of us but we're in the bubble of warm air it's bringing with it. But on current projections Ireland, the West Country and Wales and later Scotland will get hammered though the winds are predicted to be below hurricane force (60-80 iirc).

What concerns me is that the numbers in the predictions are going up rather than down.

1987 we had 100mph winds in the south. Before that there was a big storm and floods in 16-something? maybe early 1700s?

All our big hurricane type winds I know of before this have been ex hurricanes that went up your east coast then across the Atlantic and hit here as storms. We've not had one that was a hurricane direct like this.

edit: 1987 wasn't technically a hurricane - it appears to have been a freak event. And I'm aware that predictions of the courses of hurricanes are notoriously difficult so I'm still watching carefully.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oooh I'd not seen the updates of it strengthening. Will go see what the storm chasers are saying.
spot

Post by spot »

The BBC Weather hourly predictor says that at 4am the temperature is going to jump to 18°C and the wind will then stay between 40 and 60 mph for the next sixteen hours. I don't mind that bit of wind but the temperature before dawn is extraordinary.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I slept throughout the 87 blow totally unaware.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

I just stood on the stoop and had a look out, there's not a breath of wind stirring at all, the trees are motionless.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1513331 wrote: I just stood on the stoop and had a look out, there's not a breath of wind stirring at all, the trees are motionless.

Yup. That's how they start.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

And now there's a breeze, no more than that. Not a wind, no sound, but twigs are moving.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

It's like a breezy summers day out there :-6
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

It's warm here with a gentle breeze. Lovely summer morning in mid October. The whole of Ireland seems to be holding its breath, in contrast. Hadn't thought of it until just now but gmc is bang in the firing line when it hits Scotland tomorrow I think...

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm seeing this here in Kingston.

Red sun phenomenon 'caused by Hurricane Ophelia' - BBC News

The cloud is thinner and the sun is brighter and more orange, but definitely not its usual yellow gold.

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1513331 wrote: I just stood on the stoop and had a look out, there's not a breath of wind stirring at all, the trees are motionless.

Stood on the stoop ?

Bend one's head or body forwards and downwards ?

Lower one's moral standards so far as to do something reprehensible ?

Or the Porch ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

That's what we called it in Lancashire. It's what we holy-stoned every week. It's a perfectly good word. Africaans has it as "stoep", if I remember. It's not a porch, no. It's the step before the threshold. The entrance door to a dwelling fits a door-frame. The outdoor step which occupies that door-frame space along the bottom edge of the door is the threshold. The step leading to the threshold from outdoors, either at the same height as the bottom of the door or lower, is the stoop.

Here's a sample sentence (from Flight Of The Tiger Moth by Mary Woodbury): "Wes was sitting on his front stoop eating a brown sugar sandwich when Jack pulled into the lane by the manse". That gets the right feel for it.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1513344 wrote: That's what we called it in Lancashire. It's what we holy-stoned every week. It's a perfectly good word. Africaans has it as "stoep", if I remember. It's not a porch, no. It's the step before the threshold. The entrance door to a dwelling fits a door-frame. The outdoor step which occupies that door-frame space along the bottom edge of the door is the threshold. The step leading to the threshold from outdoors, either at the same height as the bottom of the door or lower, is the stoop.

Here's a sample sentence (from Flight Of The Tiger Moth by Mary Woodbury): "Wes was sitting on his front stoop eating a brown sugar sandwich when Jack pulled into the lane by the manse". That gets the right feel for it.

You were stood on the stoop of your manse?
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Somehow I'm hearing a Yorkshireman saying, "He was lucky. Manse? We dreamed of a manse. There were 14 of us lived in an old bucket..."

spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1513345 wrote: You were stood on the stoop of your manse?

That was Wes. Wes is fictional. I was stood on the stoop of my Hall.

One the stoops of my Hall.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

130 km winds? I reckon itll test out the thatch roofing but 130 isnt too bad.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
gmc

Post by gmc »

I was driving across the new forth bridge at five in the morning, the wind deflector works but it felt as if some of the gusts when head on almost blew me to a halt. Lines of lorries crabbing sideways on the motorway as the dawn came up quite surreal.

Funny thing is it was a warm wind.

Return to “The Coffee Shop”