American Total Solar Eclipse' of 2017

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I have always been interested in Astronomy. I spent time on a cold mountain with my brother as he took photos in his frankenstein telescope.

Of all the events which fascinated me, most are eclipses.

Suppose because they do not take close observation but like a show for the masses.

Observed several partial solar eclipses. Of course one cannot just look at the Sun so to look at one must use a filter.

Once observe it thru a welder's hood. One can indirectly observe it by punching a hole in a dark paper or cardboard.

One day standing near a tree the crescents appeared in the light crescents spaces underneath the tree. I've taken mirrors and reflected the crescent Sun on walls.

Now here I am all giddy

Sky and Telescope

Lucky me now. In my back yard, I could see the Sun 97% covered.

97% is not good enough as it isn't far to get a 100% experience

I will be in the center of the direct line

track

This is so great. I could go to places far from noise and possibly observe what is going on in a natural setting.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

We are looking at options for where to watch it. If we are still in Colorado in August we will find some place along the path between Casper and Grand Isle.

Back in the 70s, I hitchhiked from Florida out to Eastern Washington to catch an eclipse. Turned out the whole area was socked in with clouds during the event.

We figure to keep an eye on the weather and pick some place at the last minute where chances are best to see clear skies.

Several other possibilities are Grand Teton Park in Wyoming, or up north of Idaho Falls.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Looks like I'll be roaming up to Oregon about that time and making sure I'm far enough inland to avoid clouds.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Maybe we ought to all get together for an Eclipse party somewhere on the path.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Some years back I was lucky enough to watch a total from the roof of the building a worked in - many people had made the trek down to Cornwall to be in the "perfect" position and saw nothing through the clouds, I was in the centre of London and had an excellent view :-)
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

And I thought this was about Russia and China eclipsing America as a world power............sorry.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Hi Tude Dog and Happy New Year to you!

This is not an eclipse but if you are interested in Astronomy you may like this.

Let's see if I can remember how to post an image here....

I took this photo on January 1st, 2017. This is a conjuct of Venus with the waxing crescent moon. Mars is in the upper corner but my lens was not strong enuf to capture it.

It is said that Venus and the Moon do not get along well :wah:

Enjoy your eclipse!

Lady J

Attached files
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

LarsMac;1505102 wrote: We are looking at options for where to watch it. If we are still in Colorado in August we will find some place along the path between Casper and Grand Isle.

Back in the 70s, I hitchhiked from Florida out to Eastern Washington to catch an eclipse. Turned out the whole area was socked in with clouds during the event.

We figure to keep an eye on the weather and pick some place at the last minute where chances are best to see clear skies.

Several other possibilities are Grand Teton Park in Wyoming, or up north of Idaho Falls.

I just might have to go visit friends in Idaho Falls or Wyoming. Hey, I still own 80 acres on a mountain top south of Jackson Hole, I could have a party there!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It's Trump's doing. He's arranged it all to sabotage the Solar Power cartells.
tabby

Post by tabby »

It looks like it will be a no show in my area. I hope you get a good view, Tude Dog and good weather!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I could drive up to Wyoming, or even catch it in Oregon with my sister. But that's when we start school, so I guess I'll be watching it from YouTube. I got to see one in Phoenix back in the 80s, though, so I know how cool it is. (Also, I can't show video of it in my classroom. It's taboo for Navajos!)
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Saint_;1505167 wrote: I could drive up to Wyoming, or even catch it in Oregon with my sister. But that's when we start school, so I guess I'll be watching it from YouTube. I got to see one in Phoenix back in the 80s, though, so I know how cool it is. (Also, I can't show video of it in my classroom. It's taboo for Navajos!)

Could you take a mirror and reflect the Sun on a wall? I would think the kids would find that interesting, especially if you use a square mirror. Also like I said before the Sunlight underneath a tree.

I believe at your location you will get almost 80% obscured.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Just knew there had to be someone predicting the end of the world

Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

tude dog;1505171 wrote: Could you take a mirror and reflect the Sun on a wall? I would think the kids would find that interesting, especially if you use a square mirror. Also like I said before the Sunlight underneath a tree.

I believe at your location you will get almost 80% obscured.

yeah, I usually teach them how to make a pinhole camera. With a nice one, you can project it on a wall. How to Make a Pinhole Camera Project | NASA/JPL Edu
tabby

Post by tabby »

Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Oops! I guess a lot of people had the same idea that I did. I was checking for campground reservations in the zone of totality in Oregon. I was a couple of months late. "The OPRD ended up temporarily putting a blackout date on the reservation system to ensure no one could game the system, finally opening up reservations at camp sites around the time of the eclipse on Nov. 17 at midnight. Campsites in the total eclipse zone were sold out in an hour." link
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Wandrin;1505275 wrote: Oops! I guess a lot of people had the same idea that I did. I was checking for campground reservations in the zone of totality in Oregon. I was a couple of months late. "The OPRD ended up temporarily putting a blackout date on the reservation system to ensure no one could game the system, finally opening up reservations at camp sites around the time of the eclipse on Nov. 17 at midnight. Campsites in the total eclipse zone were sold out in an hour." link

Yep. I have seen a lot of the same thing. Casper, Jackson, Grand Island, NE, Land between the Lakes, All full.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Saint_;1505167 wrote: I could drive up to Wyoming, or even catch it in Oregon with my sister. But that's when we start school, so I guess I'll be watching it from YouTube. I got to see one in Phoenix back in the 80s, though, so I know how cool it is. (Also, I can't show video of it in my classroom. It's taboo for Navajos!)

Taboo for Navajos? Why?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Wandrin;1505275 wrote: Oops! I guess a lot of people had the same idea that I did. I was checking for campground reservations in the zone of totality in Oregon. I was a couple of months late. "The OPRD ended up temporarily putting a blackout date on the reservation system to ensure no one could game the system, finally opening up reservations at camp sites around the time of the eclipse on Nov. 17 at midnight. Campsites in the total eclipse zone were sold out in an hour." link

I'm really lucky in that I live so close to the line. For me, it would be a day trip. Using Google maps I've already scoped out plenty of places where I could park in the rural areas for a few hours.

I plan to take a trip to check them out.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I saw the same one as Bryn, I think. Just an amazing experience corona diamond ring and all! What surprised me was how cold it got how fast. Really shows the enormous power of that big ball of fusion:yh_ooooo

edit: The other thing about it is that the moon is receding from us at an inch or so a year I think, so it's only a comparatively tiny moment in time that the moon is exactly the right size to blot out the sun exactly, and we're lucky enough to be alive in that time and with the knowledge to appreciate it.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I have found the place to be for the Total Solar Eclipse this summer.

Carhenge ® | of Alliance, Nebraska
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1508602 wrote: Well, I have found the place to be for the Total Solar Eclipse this summer.

Carhenge � | of Alliance, Nebraska

Hee hee. Yup, that looks like a cool place for the eclipse. I'm still shooting for Oregon.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1508602 wrote: Well, I have found the place to be for the Total Solar Eclipse this summer.

Carhenge � | of Alliance, Nebraska

That's cool!

Modern Druids whose high priests dressed in Cheap Sports Jackets and white shoes followed by mechanics in pure white overalls.

The sacrifice of a used Prius in a hollowed place soaked in gasoline.

Tailgate ritual, bbq, and cheap beer.

Soul cleansing indeed.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Subject to change I plan on going near Grafton NE.

upload image onlinecertificity.com

I expect it to be like county roads in my neck of the woods. Just want to be somewhere isolated. Hope to be alone so to observe any wildlife, most likely birds The bridge makes a good marker to know exactly where the eclipse path.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1508887 wrote: Subject to change I plan on going near Grafton NE.

upload image onlinecertificity.com

I expect it to be like county roads in my neck of the woods. Just want to be somewhere isolated. Hope to be alone so to observe any wildlife, most likely birds The bridge makes a good marker to know exactly where the eclipse path.

Good planning :-)
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

In order to see the total we will have to drive about 90 miles south, which we will probably do.

My wife wants to use welder's glasses, I prefer the pinhole method.

Anybody know for sure if welder's glasses are safe?

Also, when the eclipse is complete and only the corona is visible, can that be viewed directly?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Mark Aspam;1508984 wrote: In order to see the total we will have to drive about 90 miles south, which we will probably do.

Also, when the eclipse is complete and only the corona is visible, can that be viewed directly?

Direct viewing of the coronal phase is not safe, according to most Eye doctors. I wouldn't chance it.

I understand that a good welder's helmet can be used, but if you ask an optometrist, you will be told "NO!"

I prefer the pinhole method, myself, though. I don't really see the value of gambling with what remains of my vision.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Mark Aspam;1508984 wrote: In order to see the total we will have to drive about 90 miles south, which we will probably do.

You could check out

EYE SAFETY DURING SOLAR ECLIPSES Adapted from NASA RP 1383 Total Solar Eclipse of 1999 August 11, April 1997, p. 19

Eye Safety During a Total Solar Eclipse

This looks interesting.

Mr Eclipse

As far as welding glasses/masks, get the correct rating. Also as a former welder, I would have to agree not to stare too long at one time.

There are plenty of glasses being sold just for the eclipse. That you'll have to figure yourself. I bought one but it won't fit well for me, but wify likes it. One thing, they also sent some paper cheap things, totally worthless.

All in all they are your eyes, be safe.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

ZAP;1505148 wrote: Hey, I still own 80 acres on a mountain top south of Jackson Hole, I could have a party there!

Thats my kind of party!

On safety issues with looking at the sun...... i live in what is considered sun drenched country.....we used to have competitions amongst ourselves as kids as to who could look at the sun the longest.....at 48 years my eyesight is as everyone elses. Im losing my sight on par with others in my age group.

When you look at the sun long enough it looks blue with a white ring around it. Id encourage the practice. Nut put sunscreen on though, not too good for the skin.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

Thanks to Lars and Tude for the advice.

I just learned from a website, SPACE.com, that the location we expect to visit, southeastern Illinois near Carbondale, will have the longest total blackout time, 2 minutes 42 seconds.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Mark Aspam;1508992 wrote: Thanks to Lars and Tude for the advice.

I just learned from a website, SPACE.com, that the location we expect to visit, southeastern Illinois near Carbondale, will have the longest total blackout time, 2 minutes 42 seconds.

If weather cooperates that should be a good area. Some friends of mine are planning to be at Land Between The Lakes, just a bit southeast of there.

this site, and several others are selling glasses that claim to be certified to safely look at the sun. Might be worth checking out. Though, I think I'll stick to the pinhole.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ain't no Meteorologists, but watching the weather isn't looking good from here.

Did some checking and found this site. At this point it isn't really good, but then there is over a week to go.

It has other stuff which is interesting.

Total solar eclipse weather forecast as of Aug. 9
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1511673 wrote: Ain't no Meteorologists, but watching the weather isn't looking good from here.

Did some checking and found this site. At this point it isn't really good, but then there is over a week to go.

It has other stuff which is interesting.

Total solar eclipse weather forecast as of Aug. 9

Nebraska and Wyoming look OK for midday.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1511675 wrote: Nebraska and Wyoming look OK for midday.

A ten-day prediction here is quite a stretch.

As of now, it looks like I must move my location like 100 mi west to get what I want.

I'll do what I have to.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1511682 wrote: A ten-day prediction here is quite a stretch.

As of now, it looks like I must move my location like 100 mi west to get what I want.

I'll do what I have to.

Yes 10 days is a stretch. We plan to head North out of the Denver Metro area, and camp somewhere in Western Nebraska, and drive to where the weather looks best that morning.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1511683 wrote: Yes 10 days is a stretch. We plan to head North out of the Denver Metro area, and camp somewhere in Western Nebraska, and drive to where the weather looks best that morning.

I have been checking the weather, but it will be what it is.

Maybe best I not go there.

The strangest, scariest eclipse myths throughout history
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

My wife just informed me that she doesn't care all that much about seeing another eclipse. We are going to go south and spend a few days in Santa Fe.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1511800 wrote: My wife just informed me that she doesn't care all that much about seeing another eclipse. We are going to go south and spend a few days in Santa Fe.

My wife is not an outdoor gal at all. Though I really wish she would go with me, over the years I learned she is just as happy I am gone. She was so happy when I was doing the OTR thing.

I like the freedom.

Whatever you do, best to you.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

The best laid plans... A client made a change and was willing to pay a lot extra to get it delivered fast. That took me out of the comfortable window to mosey northward toward totality. There are only two serious north-south highways in northern California. Both are expected to be jammed and slow/stopped. We get about 75% here, so I'll just head up on one of my favorite local mountain tops and enjoy what I have.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

If I had never seen one, I would me more determined.

However, this would have been my third. I sailed with some friends out into the Gulf of Mexico in 1970. And then in '79 I traveled up to Eastern Washington to watch that one. (it was shortly after that one that I met The Wife.)

So, we'll leave this one for the young folks.

Though I made her promise that we'll go watch the 2024 eclipse, if we're still fully functional when that one comes around.
- DH Lawrence
minks

Post by minks »

enjoyed the eclipse today. Was not a full eclipse but a 3/4 here in the southwest. Pretty impressive. We had welding glasses with an extra lense for the right protection. It was rather awe-inspiring.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West

Return to “Space and Astronomy”