cyber attack

gmc

cyber attack

Post by gmc »

Yes I have just received one of those cyber attack e-mails tellimg me to pay a ransom in bitcoins or else my network will be wiped and all my data compromised.

I would post a copy except I deleted it. First time I've had a ransom demand.
spot

cyber attack

Post by spot »

I didn't know anyone was sending out emails like that. It sounds a bit feeble. Compromising your data first and then demanding a ransom from inside the same package, yes, that's effective if the recipient cares about the data but has no backup. Sending out a mailshot with no way of even tracking who paid and who didn't? That's plain lazy.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

cyber attack

Post by gmc »

wonder if anyonr fell for it.
Mark Aspam

cyber attack

Post by Mark Aspam »

gmc;1510253 wrote: wonder if anyonr fell for it.Had a similar experience - actually two, a few days or weeks apart, a couple of years ago.

I immediately shut down my computer, waited a few minutes, and then rebooted, no further problem. Probably, like yours, not a very sophisticated attack.
gmc

cyber attack

Post by gmc »

I've had a few spam e-mails with rather dodgy links usually after I use internet banking which does not inspire confidence. I sent back my contactless atm card you could tell the person I spoke to thought I was being a bit odd but no matter how soon they stop the card being used or how quick and reliable they are at picking up unusual acrivity I just don't want to know. Besides queing in a supermarket or is a social activity putting in your pin number a daily ritual soothimg in the way it slows your day down..
spot

cyber attack

Post by spot »

I remember when you had to queue inside a bank in order to get cash handed to you by a stony-faced cleric who could have run courses for recalcitrant locomotive engineers in how to most obstructively work to rule.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

cyber attack

Post by gmc »

spot;1510297 wrote: I remember when you had to queue inside a bank in order to get cash handed to you by a stony-faced cleric who could have run courses for recalcitrant locomotive engineers in how to most obstructively work to rule.

I remember asking a bank manager why he shut his branch at lunchtime when most people who worked for a living would have a chance to come in to the branch - the reply the staff have to have their lunch as well or stay open in the evenings so people who worked for a living would be able to go in after work - remember those days when banbks shut at four o'clock in the afternoon? Banks have always behaved as if they were doing their customers a favour.
Mark Aspam

cyber attack

Post by Mark Aspam »

spot;1510297 wrote: I remember when you had to queue inside a bank in order to get cash handed to you by a stony-faced cleric who could have run courses for recalcitrant locomotive engineers in how to most obstructively work to rule.I never imagined that pre-net American and Brit banks were so different. Maybe you just picked the wrong bank.

I had my first savings account when I was 6 or 7, I can't remember ever having any problem depositing nor withdrawing.

Quite a few years later, I wanted to buy a new Mazda car, the price was about 6100 dollars, I asked the bank for a $4000 loan, they said sure, but why not we just lend you the whole amount?

Can't recall lunchtime closings either, though it's certainly possible that some American banks had them.
spot

cyber attack

Post by spot »

Mark Aspam;1510631 wrote: I never imagined that pre-net American and Brit banks were so different. Maybe you just picked the wrong bank.

It would help if we also bring to mind that American banks regularly collapse into insolvency, leaving customers with nothing in their accounts, while the last British bank to fail closed long before I was born.
Mark Aspam

cyber attack

Post by Mark Aspam »

spot;1510632 wrote: It would help if we also bring to mind that American banks regularly collapse into insolvency, leaving customers with nothing in their accounts, while the last British bank to fail closed long before I was born.What nonsense! There's no question that such things happen, but hardly "regularly".

I guess that's why I can't "bring it to mind". And when that does happen, all such accounts are, as far as I know, government secured.

I have no knowledge of Brit banking. German banking is pretty much like the USA. No lunchtime closings that I ever noticed there.

Return to “Computers Internet”