Googlemaps

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
FourPart

Googlemaps

Post by FourPart »

Googlemaps is screwed. I thought it was just me at first, but when I did some hunting for a fix I found that it's at Googlemaps' end.

The problems are all over the show - probably loads more, but just some of the problems I've found:

Cutting half the screen off.

No routes showing up without reloading page.

No dragging to modify route.

Menu won't open

No Streetview menu box.

Apparently it's got something to do with making Googlemaps more accessible for mobiles. Which means, of course, anyone who still uses old fashioned desktops to plan their routes is screwed.
Betty Boop

Googlemaps

Post by Betty Boop »

I spent over an hour the other week trying to walk round Barcelona looking for a shoe shop. Google Maps wouldn't let me do half the stuff I wanted to and I assumed it was my laptop

I guess if I can't virtually walk the street to find the shop name to attempt to order some more of the great sandals I bought there three years ago then I'll have to start saving for another trip :driving:
spot

Googlemaps

Post by spot »

Pitanga Barcelona

It's in a narrow pedestrian alley the car can't get down.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Googlemaps

Post by LarsMac »

my sister-in-law and her daughter posted that they were in Dublin, today, and the map shows:

They seem a bit confused

Not my SiL and daughter - They really are in Dublin - but Google. I don't think that map is quite right.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Googlemaps

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1509003 wrote: Pitanga Barcelona

It's in a narrow pedestrian alley the car can't get down.

That's not them, the shop I wanted was wide enough for cars and McDonalds was on the corner, I know the exact street.

By luck I actually found a website this morning that sells the inter-bios one's http://www.modalia.co.uk/inter-bios.htm ... ce=#inicio I'm after, yay! Just need to go try them on now :wah:
LarsMac

Googlemaps

Post by LarsMac »

I was taking a look around our neighborhood and they seem to have reverted back to a map that is about 5 years old.

a few weeks ago, it was more up to date.
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Googlemaps

Post by Snowfire »

I use Google maps every day on my mobile, as a sat nav in the van. It's live so it's useful for accident and congestion updates and can quickly change the route.

The only minor problem I've had is the voice occasionally reverting to an American accent, which is quite amusing listening to an American woman pronounce our place names
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Googlemaps

Post by spot »

You drove through Lie Sester on your way to War Sester?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Googlemaps

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1509021 wrote: You drove through Lie Sester on your way to War Sester?

Exactly !
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Wandrin

Googlemaps

Post by Wandrin »

It's a lot more accurate than Apple Maps...
LarsMac

Googlemaps

Post by LarsMac »

Wandrin;1509026 wrote: It's a lot more accurate than Apple Maps...

There is that.
- DH Lawrence
compopete

Googlemaps

Post by compopete »

Many of the inaccuracies on G Maps are terrible, and while Google is open to edit submissions, I've never received any response or seen any edits. Having said that, it's still a pretty awesome tool.
maanyasri

Googlemaps

Post by maanyasri »

The problem is too big. It is taking more than hour to fix a single location.
compopete

Googlemaps

Post by compopete »

I've submitted almost a dozen recommended edits to Google maps and I've still heard or seen nothing in over two months. You're right though, it's huge.
LarsMac

Googlemaps

Post by LarsMac »

I submitted a couple of changes.

One was particularly frustrating. Our address appeared on Maps to be about one half mile to the East at a major intersection. We can see that intersection from our front porch, across the fields. When we order pizza or such stuff, or called a tow truck for service, they would get to that intersection and eventually call us because they could not find us.

After two attempts to get Google to correct it, they did. We now get our Pizza while it is hot.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Googlemaps

Post by magentaflame »

Never had a problem with searching google maps. Or the maps app on my phone.

Look up Darriman Victoria. If you cant find it then youve got problems because everypne else can.

What i have a problem with as far as google maps /google earth is concerned is when you look for strategic military places around the globe they are blanked out......ours arent. I find that very disconcerting.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Googlemaps

Post by spot »

My problem is trying to drop the yellow chap onto roads the Google Car hasn't driven down. In Egypt, for example, and China. Very annoying. On the other hand I can virtually travel round all the small villages and large estates outside Medellin in Columbia, something I have yet to try on the ground.
LarsMac

Googlemaps

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1509601 wrote: Never had a problem with searching google maps. Or the maps app on my phone.

Look up Darriman Victoria. If you cant find it then youve got problems because everypne else can.

What i have a problem with as far as google maps /google earth is concerned is when you look for strategic military places around the globe they are blanked out......ours arent. I find that very disconcerting.

They probably have a way of checking the origin point of the requester. I can see many such places in the States, but not in other countries.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”