The Windy City

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

The Windy City

Post by Bruv »

29 people shot in less than 18 hours in Chicago

Seems to me a bigger problem than Pyongyang
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

The Windy City

Post by spot »

Falmouth was a bit like that last week. I blame the students.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

The Windy City

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508433 wrote: 29 people shot in less than 18 hours in Chicago

Seems to me a bigger problem than Pyongyang

OK, get real.

For a long time on this site, I have been pounding on Chicago.

HeyJackass

What is the comparison to Pyongyang? What are you trying to say?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bruv

The Windy City

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1508456 wrote: OK, get real.

For a long time on this site, I have been pounding on Chicago.

HeyJackass

What is the comparison to Pyongyang? What are you trying to say?

I should get real ?

How many Americans have died due to any North Korean aggression ?

Why has Trump got onto his hind legs to 'offer out' North Korea ..........why doesn't he address the problems in his own back yard first ?
tude dog

The Windy City

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508472 wrote: I should get real ?

How many Americans have died due to any North Korean aggression ?

Why has Trump got onto his hind legs to 'offer out' North Korea ..........why doesn't he address the problems in his own back yard first ?

The murder rate is nothing new. We had a president from Chi-town, Obama. One would think he might do something. He did nothing.

OK?

I can tell you why as it is not in the power of the President to get involved.

International relations are a job of the president.
Bruv

The Windy City

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1508483 wrote: The murder rate is nothing new. We had a president from Chi-town, Obama. One would think he might do something. He did nothing.

OK?

What a strange country America is.

Obama didn't do anything......but then it's not in the power of the President ?

Make your mind up.

Obama didn't wind up the Russians, or the Mexicans, or the North Koreans.

Im sure there are ways that gun crime could be prioritised from the highest office, if the will were there
flopstock

The Windy City

Post by flopstock »

I had thought he had a solution for Chicago last fall?Maybe he could just send some of those rich old white men to town to straighten things out. At least it could be an effective way to thin the herd and open up room for another woman in his cabinet photo opts
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

tude dog

The Windy City

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508485 wrote: What a strange country America is.

Obama didn't do anything......but then it's not in the power of the President ?

Make your mind up.

The problem is you brought up two separate issues. One is a federal responsibility within the responsibility of the president to address, the other isn't.

Bruv;1508485 wrote: Obama didn't wind up the Russians, or the Mexicans, or the North Koreans.

Russians and N.Koreans are in a constant aggressive posture. Mexico needs to clean up its own backyard.

Bruv;1508485 wrote: Im sure there are ways that gun crime could be prioritised from the highest office, if the will were there

Obama and his fellow anti-gun gang did make a lot of noise about firearms. The result were record number sales of guns and ammo.
Bruv

The Windy City

Post by Bruv »

You talk in riddles................could be my misunderisation ( I invented an Americanism for you) or it could be your special way of looking at things.
magentaflame

The Windy City

Post by magentaflame »

For some parts of chicago its npt unusual at all. Its endemic of a system deliberately keeping people in poverty.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

The Windy City

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1508483 wrote: The murder rate is nothing new. We had a president from Chi-town, Obama. One would think he might do something. He did nothing.

OK?

Rather than saying it's nothing new and sweeping the problem under the carpet it would be nice to discuss possible solutions.

Where would you start if you had the power and the jurisdiction to do something about it?
tude dog

The Windy City

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1508563 wrote: Rather than saying it's nothing new and sweeping the problem under the carpet it would be nice to discuss possible solutions.

Where would you start if you had the power and the jurisdiction to do something about it?

How about

image hosting freecertificity.com

some arrests?

Chicago holds the record as others are in contention for the race for the bottom.

Chicago's 762 homicides in 2016 is more than New York and Los Angeles combined

Murder rates in 50 American cities

online photo sharingcertificity.com

What is it about cities?

There are many ways of looking at this, but in the final analysis, they are local issues.
Bruv

The Windy City

Post by Bruv »

We all know it's raining, telling us over and over is not news anymore, Bryn asked for your suggestions on how to resolve it, fix the roof or buy an umbrella ?

And your President, he who can't interfere (you say) has threatened to "send in the Feds" if Chicago can't “fix the horrible carnage”
Bruv

The Windy City

Post by Bruv »

They like a weapon these Americans..................HERE.........................it must be in their genes/jeans.
tude dog

The Windy City

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508570 wrote: We all know it's raining, telling us over and over is not news anymore, Bryn asked for your suggestions on how to resolve it, fix the roof or buy an umbrella ?

Start here,

image hosting over 10mbcertificity.com

Bruv;1508570 wrote: And your President, he who can't interfere (you say) has threatened to "send in the Feds" if Chicago can't “fix the horrible carnage”

Whatever that means, just what we need.:-5

Posse Comitatus Act

There are many different answers put forth. Just gotta look at doesn't work and concentrate on those that do.
Bruv

The Windy City

Post by Bruv »

Your Polis look military to me.........you have no solutions.......no suggestions either.......Fair enough.
tude dog

The Windy City

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508577 wrote: Your Polis look military to me.........you have no solutions.......no suggestions either.......Fair enough.

Enforcing the current law and catching lawbreakers would be a good start.

Three Strikes' Sentencing Laws

Enforcing quality of life laws.

Manhattan DA won’t prosecute quality-of-life offenses anymore

The Manhattan district attorney will no longer prosecute quality-of-life offenses such as public urination, drinking in public, littering and misdeeds in the subway — and even those with outstanding warrants would avoid jail.

The new, free-pass policy was announced late Tuesday with written endorsements from Police Commissioner Bratton and Mayor de Blasio.

Cyrus Vance Jr. said his office will now just issue summonses for such non-violent offenses, which he estimated will divert 10,000 cases a year from Manhattan Criminal Court.

The unilateral policy shift seemed to embrace Council Speaker Melissa Mark Viverito’s January proposal for sweeping legislation to decriminalize non-violent offenses city-wide, which has yet to be put up for a vote.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of this crap is new to me. I did live in Los Angeles when it was the nation's murder capital.

Constant hand-wringing and waffling.

Nothing to discuss as long as there are mayors regard massive burning and looting free speech.

Baltimore mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake made a stunning admission Saturday in the aftermath of violent protests over the recent death of Freddie Gray, saying she wanted to give space to those “who wished to destroy.”

And destroy, some did.

Numerous storefronts and vehicles were damaged and businesses were looted at the tail end of a day of demonstrations. Thirty-four people were arrested and six police officers suffered minor injuries. Baseball fans attending a game at Camden Yards were told to stay inside the ballpark until violence outside of the stadium subsided.

With a mayor like that it's no wonder Baltimore has such a huge crime problem.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

The Windy City

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1508566 wrote: How about

image hosting freecertificity.com

some arrests?

Chicago holds the record as others are in contention for the race for the bottom.

Chicago's 762 homicides in 2016 is more than New York and Los Angeles combined

Murder rates in 50 American cities

online photo sharingcertificity.com

What is it about cities?

There are many ways of looking at this, but in the final analysis, they are local issues.

In a word, poverty. To be more explicit, the disparity between the poor and the rich - and no, when it affects so many cities then it's no longer a local issue, it's a national disaster.

Looking at the first diagram that's a hell of a wedge marked "Police".

Yes, improving detection rates would be a good start at deterrence but it needs to be allied with moves to reduce causes - what would be your suggestions there?
Bruv

The Windy City

Post by Bruv »

That wasn't hard was it ?

The Three Strike Laws are, in my opinion oppressive.

I understand the "Broken windows" policy turned New York from the most dangerous city to one of the safest.

Would I be wrong in thinking Chicago has high unemployment as well as a majority black population ?

Two conditions that are seen as an underclass still in modern America, both lower self worth............People with guns, drugs and no hope are obviously a dangerous cocktail.
tude dog

The Windy City

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1508579 wrote: In a word, poverty. To be more explicit, the disparity between the poor and the rich

So the mantra has been repeated, over and over.

Most shootings are the direct result of gang wars involving drugs.

Bryn Mawr;1508579 wrote: - and no, when it affects so many cities then it's no longer a local issue, it's a national disaster.

Thankfully we do not have a national police. I trust that the locals know their communities better than the feds.

Bryn Mawr;1508579 wrote: Looking at the first diagram that's a hell of a wedge marked "Police".

HeyJackass

Legal Outcome Homicides

No Suspect Charged 122

Suspect Charged 14

Police-Involved 4

Self-Defense 2 The clearance rate is a calculation of Total Homicide Suspects Charged/(Total Homicides – Police involved – Self Defense – Murder/Suicides). Regardless of how many people are charged in relation to a single homicide, it’s only counted as one suspect for calculation purposes. The rate has nothing to do with criminal proceedings and convictions (or lack thereof).

2017 Police-involved Shootings

Year Killed Wounded

2017 4 3

2016 11 14

2015 9 16

2014 17 28

2013 13 30

2012 8 49

2011 23 37

2010 13 33

2009 19 42

Bryn Mawr;1508579 wrote: Yes, improving detection rates would be a good start at deterrence but it needs to be allied with moves to reduce causes - what would be your suggestions there?

First is to remove fear by clearing the streets of thugs. Treat people like adults expecting responsible behavior. Quit making excuses.
tude dog

The Windy City

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1508581 wrote: That wasn't hard was it ?

The Three Strike Laws are, in my opinion oppressive.

I understand the "Broken windows" policy turned New York from the most dangerous city to one of the safest.

Would I be wrong in thinking Chicago has high unemployment as well as a majority black population ?

Two conditions that are seen as an underclass still in modern America, both lower self worth............People with guns, drugs and no hope are obviously a dangerous cocktail.

To me not able to safely walk down the street would do a lot to damage self-worth.

Jobs? After the Watts riots in Los Angeles, it was many years before anybody would build a bank, decent grocery store or other shopping venues. That left the populace having to depend on more expensive small shops.

That not only cost jobs but made daily life more expensive.

Nobody is going to build businesses in high crime areas, costing local jobs.
FourPart

The Windy City

Post by FourPart »

My youngest cousin died in Chicago a couple of weeks ago, aged 47.

His body has been repatriated & his funeral is on Monday.

Return to “General Chit Chat”