Cyclists

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Cyclists

Post by gmc »

London policeman pulls cyclist over with blue lights | Daily Mail Online

What can you say. Seems to me the cyclist is deliberately being provocative.
FourPart

Cyclists

Post by FourPart »

From what I could make out from the video he was not riding too wide anyway. He was riding in exactly the right position, as prescribed by the Highway Code - giving a door's width away from the cars parked by the side of the road. Plus he was quite right - assuming that his own speedo was correct, and that he was doing 20mph, if the Police car overtook him, then he must have been speeding in so doing. However, his attitude was unnecessary, if justified.

Furthermore, the Police car pulled over too far from the kerb, on a raised speed ramp which is a crossing point. This, too, is illegal.
gmc

Cyclists

Post by gmc »

If you look at the way the police car passed the cyclist behind he did the same with the cyclist complaining, waited till the reoad was clear and then pulled out to pass in to the other side of the road. The cyclist is much further out than the one behind. and the police car5 was past him in seconds and you can see he is on the other side of the white line when he pulls back in. You see so many cyclists that are oblivious to what is happening around them he probably didnlt notice it was a police car. The policeman should have just ignored him but the odds are he was filming as well.
Bruv

Cyclists

Post by Bruv »

As a cyclist that has been run off my bike twice by car drivers that obviously failed to see me until too late, I have every sympathy with the cyclist. The only way to use a bike in towns is to ride aggressively, by which I mean, to be visible by riding wide with hi vis clothing and cameras.I also sympathise with the copper, driving behind cyclists can be very frustrating.Maybe it is all down to everybody rushing everywhere thinking their trip is more important than everybody elses.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

Cyclists

Post by Bryn Mawr »

One of the first things that we taught new motorcyclists and the thing that we repeated most often was not to gutter crawl - if you ride too close to the curb you have no wriggle room, you will not be seen by other traffic and you are inviting cars to come past you when there is not room to do so.

This applies equally to cyclists - where there is no cycle lane they have every right to use the road and should ride to be as safe as possible.
LarsMac

Cyclists

Post by LarsMac »

Cycling is a big deal, here in Colorado. They all have their very own clothing styles and such. Pedestrians and cyclists are required to share many of the paths.

I am constantly irked by cyclists who seem to think that they take priority, and everyone else gets hind teat. I have almost smacked several that have come up from behind rather quickly and pass very close, without any warning, at all. There was a time when my reaction to that would have knocked them off their bike, before I even realized that it was simply a biker.

There are a few (too few) who will call out, "on your left." or "excuse me", "Pardon me" as they approach, so that you know they are coming up. There is even one fellow with one of those old bells that used to be ubiquitous on bicycles. I usually thank them for the alert as they pass.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Gerry Mandering

Cyclists

Post by Gerry Mandering »

A car driver must pass a highway code exam and a practical, in order to be legal. At least, it weeds out the idiots before they take to the road. Any idiot can get on a bike and when they do, they suddenly become an expert. Ban the lot of them, i say.
Bruv

Cyclists

Post by Bruv »

Gerry Mandering;1508372 wrote: A car driver must pass a highway code exam and a practical, in order to be legal. At least, it weeds out the idiots before they take to the road. Any idiot can get on a bike and when they do, they suddenly become an expert. Ban the lot of them, i say.

Where are you speaking from ? Cyclist need to take a test ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Cyclists

Post by gmc »

Gerry Mandering;1508372 wrote: A car driver must pass a highway code exam and a practical, in order to be legal. At least, it weeds out the idiots before they take to the road. Any idiot can get on a bike and when they do, they suddenly become an expert. Ban the lot of them, i say.

Have you driven anywhere recently?
FourPart

Cyclists

Post by FourPart »

Bruv;1508373 wrote: Where are you speaking from ? Cyclist need to take a test ?

I believe they should. I hold the proud distinction of having been the yougest person ever to pass the Cycling Proficiency Test. My Father was a friend of the Police Sergeant who ran the course (it was the Police who did the courses then), so I did the training & the test when I was 5, but couldn't officially 'pass' until I was 6. I was presented with my certificate & badge on my 6th birthday in front of the whole school. In those days the training was very strict, covering precise control of the bike, as well as a decent command of the Highway Code. These days, I'm sorry to say, it's a joke.

Return to “United Kingdom”