Brtiah values?

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Brtiah values?

Post by gmc »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ajid-javid

I hope all those asked to agree to such an oath show due respect for british tradition and tell the establishment where to stick it.

https://www.indy100.com/article/brexit- ... paign=i100

A banker, a Daily Mail reader, a Tory MP and a Polish cleaner are sitting at a table sharing 12 biscuits.

The banker grabs 11 of them and scoffs the lot.

The Tory MP leans over to the Daily Mail reader and whispers: 'Watch out! That Polish cleaner is trying to steal your biscuit.
spot

Brtiah values?

Post by spot »

This is along similar lines.

A Dutch woman who has lived in the UK for 24 years, and has two children with her British husband, has been told by the Home Office that she should make arrangements to leave the country after she applied for citizenship after the EU referendum.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-24-years

The entire tale is one of an incompetent process designed by a group of civil servants at the Home Office who are not fit for employment anywhere outside a recycling tip.

The sting in the tail about UK/EU marriage rights sounds like a horrifying piece of drafting error.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Brtiah values?

Post by gmc »

Saw Lorf Heseltine on sky news being asked if he had any confidence in theresa Mays government. Not a fan of his but I'm coming round.
Saint_

Brtiah values?

Post by Saint_ »

Well I don't see why you guys are so upset. Children have to do that every day in the U.S.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Heck, ours is so screwed up it even contradicts itself by pledging allegiance to liberty, then stating that the whole country is under one God, no others allowed!
gmc

Brtiah values?

Post by gmc »

Saint_;1507854 wrote: Well I don't see why you guys are so upset. Children have to do that every day in the U.S.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Heck, ours is so screwed up it even contradicts itself by pledging allegiance to liberty, then stating that the whole country is under one God, no others allowed!

Ever tried explaining irony to a born again christain? Just wondering.
FourPart

Brtiah values?

Post by FourPart »

I think it was in the film Inherit The Wind when the subject was brought up about the US supposed to be legally detaching Religion from Government, but using the evidence of the words "In God We Trust" above the doors of the court as well as on the currency (although I also seem to remember hearing that the words didn't appear on currency until sometime in the 50s.
spot

Brtiah values?

Post by spot »

FourPart;1507904 wrote: although I also seem to remember hearing that the words didn't appear on currency until sometime in the 50s.That's notes. The phrase "In God We Trust" appeared on coins from 1864.

https://www.treasury.gov/about/educatio ... trust.aspx
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Mark Aspam

Brtiah values?

Post by Mark Aspam »

Interesting thread, but what is "Brtiah"?

And what, or who, is a "Lorf"?
spot

Brtiah values?

Post by spot »

It's an Internet search engine promotion technique. If you google Brtiah or Lorf Heseltine you'll find ForumGarden is the first hit worldwide. Mere cash wouldn't get you even onto the first search page. All the first hit combinations results in ForumGarden punching far above its weight in the international arena, rather like Brtian itself.
gmc

Brtiah values?

Post by gmc »

Mark Aspam;1508041 wrote: Interesting thread, but what is "Brtiah"?

Make fun of my typing all you like I have other redeeming abilities that more then compensate. You know what they say - being good at typing is a sign you think very slowly.
spot

Brtiah values?

Post by spot »

gmc;1508043 wrote: Make fun of my typing all you like I have other redeeming abilities

And the Second Coming of Christ is supposed to be attended by such signs, don't forget.
Snowfire

Brtiah values?

Post by Snowfire »

Mark Aspam;1508041 wrote: Interesting thread, but what is "Brtiah"?

gmc has a propensity for typing with his his boxing gloves on. We then have the joy of trying to decipher his code.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Mark Aspam

Brtiah values?

Post by Mark Aspam »

gmc;1508043 wrote: Make fun of my typing all you like I have other redeeming abilities that more then compensate. You know what they say - being good at typing is a sign you think very slowly.Well, I really wasn't sure, I thought they might be misprints or possibly Briticisms (did I spel that right?)

Reminds me of an old riddle: What is a peccadillo? Answer: An armadillo who has been taught how to type.
Clodhopper

Brtiah values?

Post by Clodhopper »

My theory is that gmc types phonetically and if we could just pronounce his words correctly we'd know precisely what he sounds like.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Ahso!

Brtiah values?

Post by Ahso! »

What I don't understand about this thread is why the misspelling in the title has not been corrected by a staff member as of yet. That forum management staffs don't take the initiative to do this without having to be asked puzzles me.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Brtiah values?

Post by Ahso! »

gmc;1508043 wrote: Make fun of my typing all you like I have other redeeming abilities that more than compensate. You know what they say - being good at typing is a sign you think very slowly.What's interesting is that reading posts typed by you in the not too distant past rarely if at all contain these sorts of errors.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Brtiah values?

Post by Ahso! »

gmc;1508043 wrote: Make fun of my typing all you like I have other redeeming abilities that more then compensate.Indeed! You have always been a favorite poster of mine throughout my internet travels.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Brtiah values?

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1508050 wrote: What I don't understand about this thread is why the misspelling in the title has not been corrected by a staff member as of yet.The present crop of moderators, unlike those of yesteryear, have been selected primarily on the basis of their tact.
Ahso!

Brtiah values?

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1508053 wrote: The present crop of moderators, unlike those of yesteryear, have been selected primarily on the basis of their tact.They could ask the poster if he or she would like it fixed. That's what I meant by taking initiative.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Brtiah values?

Post by gmc »

In all honesty I would have corrected the mistakes myself but I hadn't noticed them until mark pointed them out. I tend to do this late in the evening which might be causal factor.

posted by ahso

What's interesting is that reading posts typed by you in the not too distant past rarely if at all contain these sorts of errors.

At one point I tried teaching myself speed typing but I've never been able to get the hang of it and since I no longer have to produce reports I have no particular incentive to try again I dare say if I took more time I wouldn;t do it but it's not something I particularly worry about just as I don't worry about the spelling mistakes others make like there or there's instead of their or theirs or borough instead of burgh (scotsnglish in joke that one) or color instead of colour.

Rest assured any spelling mistakes are more likely to be typing errors than misspelling on my part it's simply that spelling and typing os a multitask too far.

I will now set out to annoy you all by not making tipping mistakes.
FourPart

Brtiah values?

Post by FourPart »

spot;1508042 wrote: It's an Internet search engine promotion technique. If you google Brtiah or Lorf Heseltine you'll find ForumGarden is the first hit worldwide. Mere cash wouldn't get you even onto the first search page. All the first hit combinations results in ForumGarden punching far above its weight in the international arena, rather like Brtian itself.
Many a true word spoken in jest.

Bryn Mawr

Brtiah values?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1508050 wrote: What I don't understand about this thread is why the misspelling in the title has not been corrected by a staff member as of yet. That forum management staffs don't take the initiative to do this without having to be asked puzzles me.

I couldn't work out what it was meant to be :-)
spot

Brtiah values?

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1508054 wrote: They could ask the poster if he or she would like it fixed. That's what I meant by taking initiative.

I don't think any moderator has ever done that. We invariably correct the spelling of thread titles so as to make the front page tidy and clean, except when we decide not to. We never ask the thread originator.
Ahso!

Brtiah values?

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1508196 wrote: I don't think any moderator has ever done that. We invariably correct the spelling of thread titles so as to make the front page tidy and clean, except when we decide not to. We never ask the thread originator....http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/unite ... ost1508053

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Brtiah values?

Post by spot »

That one we decided not to. I think it was a good decision, myself. It makes one proud to be Brtiah. I didn't die in the war just so people could change perfectly good thread titles like that.

Return to “United Kingdom”