Stuff about teeth

jamiehood

Stuff about teeth

Post by jamiehood »

A lot of people I meet, or see online have these perfect white teeth. Ever since I was a kid, though, my teeth have been this ugly yellow color. I get self conscious about it all the time, and I'd like my teeth to look better. The thing is, people have been saying that whitening programs and stuff damage your teeth really badly. They say to just use Whitening Toothpaste, which I have done over the years, and seen pretty much no result whatsoever. Also, it just takes way to much time. On the internet, I've found methods that involve putting disgusting things in your mouth, which I don't want to do. Is there a safe, quick way to make my teeth look better?
FourPart

Stuff about teeth

Post by FourPart »

"Better" is relative. The natural colour of teeth, contray to what the image media would make you believe, is not a sparkly white, but that pale yellow to which you refer. Take the stick insect models we are so used to seeing. Do they really look 'better', or is that what the media wants you to think looks better. Who is it that is constantly telling you that whiter teeth look better? Not surprisingly, the market that is trying to sell you teeth whitening agents - or dentists who want to fit a white covering to them - or replace them altogether for shiny white plastic ones.
minks

Stuff about teeth

Post by minks »

white comes in many shades.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
jamiehood

Stuff about teeth

Post by jamiehood »

Well, yeah, but I still want to make them look more white. It's not just the media, I've seen people like this in real life.
Bruv

Stuff about teeth

Post by Bruv »

You could always have all your own teeth pulled, out and get the whitest coloured false ones, then you could bleach them over night
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
jamiehood

Stuff about teeth

Post by jamiehood »

I feel like somewhere out there, there should be a safe and not gross way to whiten my teeth without getting them pulled, or harming them.
Bruv

Stuff about teeth

Post by Bruv »

I feel that somewhere out there, there should be a way for me to look as handsome and fit as I have always wanted..................but of course reality tells me too many late nights, glasses of alcohol, chips, lazy days.......and long nights, cups of coffee, crusty bread with loads of butter, bowls of pasta...................lack of desire to workout..................has put an end to that ambition.

But I have come to terms with my situation..........maybe you should too ?
minks

Stuff about teeth

Post by minks »

three thumbs up Bruv.

― Mae West
Bruv

Stuff about teeth

Post by Bruv »

Three ?
minks

Stuff about teeth

Post by minks »

SURE

somebody could be standing next to me you know.

― Mae West
Clodhopper

Stuff about teeth

Post by Clodhopper »

You could try a dentist. They do whitening don't they?

I have some sympathy: I think people tend to be more judgemental about teeth than they are about looks or physique.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
minks

Stuff about teeth

Post by minks »

if you want perfectly white teeth forever you will be forever whitening your teeth, and who knows what the long term affects of this would be.

Food and drink stains your teeth and will continue to do so all your life.

― Mae West
Clodhopper

Stuff about teeth

Post by Clodhopper »

Food and drink stains your teeth and will continue to do so all your life.

It's the only down side of tea :(
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
minks

Stuff about teeth

Post by minks »

and red wine ;)

― Mae West
Mark Aspam

Stuff about teeth

Post by Mark Aspam »

Clodhopper;1507945 wrote: You could try a dentist. They do whitening don't they?

I have some sympathy: I think people tend to be more judgemental about teeth than they are about looks or physique.Strange that it took 11 replies for the obvious one to appear.

The hopper is correct, you should consult a dentist, s/he will give you all the help and advice that you need. Good luck.
spot

Stuff about teeth

Post by spot »

1. Brush clean, swill with rectified spirit (spit don't swallow), air-dry, apply replacement enamel, air-dry again.

2. Brush twice daily but stick to Lysterine for rinsing - rectified spirit is for special occasions.

3. Repeat every two years.

Obligatory disclaimer

Attached files
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
jamiehood

Stuff about teeth

Post by jamiehood »

I guess, but it's kind of difficult. I could work hard if I have too. Coming to terms with the situation is more difficult than it sounds.
FourPart

Stuff about teeth

Post by FourPart »

The normal color of enamel varies from light yellow to grayish (bluish) white. At the edges of teeth where there is no dentin underlying the enamel, the color sometimes has a slightly blue or translucent off-white tone, easily observable on the upper incisors. Since enamel is semitranslucent, the color of dentin and any material underneath the enamel strongly affects the appearance of a tooth. The enamel on primary teeth has a more opaque crystalline form and thus appears whiter than on permanent teeth.

The enamel is the surface coating that protects your teeth. It is not white. It is not meant to be white. Turning it white is damaging the enamel, and consequently the teeth themselves. Whitening the teeth is a short term vanity thing until your teeth end up falling out as a result - but at least you can then get some screw in ones to replace them, in any colour you like. That why they're refered to as your ivorys. Just like a piano keyboard. One black, one white, one missing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooth_enamel
Playful1

Stuff about teeth

Post by Playful1 »

My teeth have looked better and been healthier since I began oil pulling with coconut oil. It won’t give you the artificial bleached celebrity white, but reduces staining from foods and beverages that can discolor and dull your teeth. It also has the added benifit of improving overall oral health by softening plaque, making flossing more effective, and is a great natural disinfect that kills the bacteria that causes gum disease. Some claim it can re-mineralize your teeth. My dentist says it does not, but agrees it’s a good practice and attributes my improved gum strength to my oil pulling.

Return to “Health Wellness”