How Powerful Do You Think You Are

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Post by cars »

To determine the answer, follow instructions below:

The instructions are these: “Hold up the index finger of your dominant hand and draw a capital E on your forehead. Do this as quickly as possible, without stopping to think.”

I’ll wait.

(It Is Impossible to Stop Comparing Yourself to Your Peers)

Now, consider the E you drew. If you’d had a marker and had actually drawn the letter on your forehead, would someone looking at your face see a regular E or a backward one?

Experts theorize that the former means you are more other-focused — that is, more easily able to see the world from another person’s perspective —

While the latter, drawn from your own vantage point, implies that you are more self-focused. And this, ties back to your perception of your own power.

The exercise is taken from a study two psychologists once did with New York University. Which was designed to determine whether powerful people are as adept at seeing things from another person’s perspective as the less powerful.

In an experiment, the researchers first either primed their participants to feel powerful, or not, and then asked them to take on this little E quiz.

Their results showed people who felt powerful were about three times as likely to draw the backward E compared to those who’d been made to feel less powerful.

And this suggests that “power makes people more focused on their own unique vantage point and oblivious to the perspective of others.”

So are you powerful?

(I am)
Cars :)
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

cars;1503810 wrote: to determine the answer, follow instructions below:

the instructions are these: “hold up the index finger of your dominant hand and draw a capital e on your forehead. Do this as quickly as possible, without stopping to think.”

i’ll wait.

(it is impossible to stop comparing yourself to your peers)

now, consider the e you drew. If you’d had a marker and had actually drawn the letter on your forehead, would someone looking at your face see a regular e or a backward one?

Experts theorize that the former means you are more other-focused — that is, more easily able to see the world from another person’s perspective —

while the latter, drawn from your own vantage point, implies that you are more self-focused. And this, ties back to your perception of your own power.

The exercise is taken from a study two psychologists once did with new york university. Which was designed to determine whether powerful people are as adept at seeing things from another person’s perspective as the less powerful.

In an experiment, the researchers first either primed their participants to feel powerful, or not, and then asked them to take on this little e quiz.

Their results showed people who felt powerful were about three times as likely to draw the backward e compared to those who’d been made to feel less powerful.

And this suggests that “power makes people more focused on their own unique vantage point and oblivious to the perspective of others.”

so are you powerful?

(i am)

powerful!!!!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Mine looks backwards in the mirror. Does that count?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Not surprisingly mine would look normal to everyone else. I'm a natural People Person.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

How is 'self absorbed' more 'powerful' ?

That sounds very psychopathic to me.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1503829 wrote: How is 'self absorbed' more 'powerful' ?

That sounds very psychopathic to me.

They're not saying that "Self-absorbed" people are necessarily more powerful. They're saying that Powerful people are more self-absorbed. A fine point, to be sure.

I see people all the time who are very self-centered and because of that, they are sometimes completely unaware of their surroundings and the other people around them.

That means that others who ARE more aware usually end up adjusting their course or actions to accommodate the others, and consequently are more affected by those people. That affords a certain power factor to the space-cadets wandering through life completely unaware of their surroundings.

Of course these same people are the ones that due to their complete lack of situational awareness are eventually taken completely by surprise when something they never saw coming smacks them upside the head.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Guppers

Post by Guppers »

LarsMac;1503838 wrote: They're not saying that "Self-absorbed" people are necessarily more powerful. They're saying that Powerful people are more self-absorbed. A fine point, to be sure.

I see people all the time who are very self-centered and because of that, they are sometimes completely unaware of their surroundings and the other people around them.

That means that others who ARE more aware usually end up adjusting their course or actions to accommodate the others, and consequently are more affected by those people. That affords a certain power factor to the space-cadets wandering through life completely unaware of their surroundings.

Of course these same people are the ones that due to their complete lack of situational awareness are eventually taken completely by surprise when something they never saw coming smacks them upside the head.

I instantly thought of it backwards...for everybody else....
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Strange, my deliberate thought was to draw it so that it would be see correctly but, when the question came up, I realised that I'd drawn it backwards.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac;1503838 wrote: They're not saying that "Self-absorbed" people are necessarily more powerful. They're saying that Powerful people are more self-absorbed. A fine point, to be sure.

Ahhhhh........ my ex husband. Makes sense. I frew it so that it would be seen by someone looking at my forehead could see a proper E....... i discussed this and apparently my perception of having others see what im trying to communicate comes from learning sign when i was younger. Interesting.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I can write backwards and upside down. What does that mean?
cars

Post by cars »

ZAP;1503963 wrote: I can write backwards and upside down. What does that mean?

You're hired! :wah:
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Thats interesting. I can read like that but not write.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

magentaflame;1503968 wrote: Thats interesting. I can read like that but not write.
I can read faster than I write.

We used to write people's names backward and crack up, like my kids: esineD, aserehtT, and yelrebmiK.

You are emalfatnegam.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

It means that you are very clever, or ................................. you're not sure whether you're coming or going or standing on your head ! For which you can get treatment, I believe ! :yh_rotfl

Si siht tahw uoy naem ? Ym mum desu ot llac em Gillian os I dellac reh Mum !!!! ;) :wah: Sa rof edispu nwod - llew I t'nia Nailartsua ! :yh_rotfl
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1503981 wrote: It means that you are very clever, or ................................. you're not sure whether you're coming or going or standing on your head ! For which you can get treatment, I believe ! :yh_rotfl

Si siht tahw uoy naem ? Ym mum desu ot llac em Gillian os I dellac reh Mum !!!! ;) :wah: Sa rof edispu nwod - llew I t'nia Nailartsua ! :yh_rotfl

Thank you so much for that elucidation, Lligg-girl . .er . .lrig-GGill . . .er lrig-lligg. That makes me want to giggle. :wah:

Well, I've never been accused of being backwards but I have been upside down, like 2 weeks ago when I fell and broke my wrist. (Still typing with 1 hand?) :-1 Not fun!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

ZAP;1503970 wrote: I can read faster than I write.

We used to write people's names backward and crack up, like my kids: esineD, aserehtT, and yelrebmiK.

You are emalfatnegam.

Its probably a better description too lol.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1503983 wrote: Thank you so much for that elucidation, Lligg-girl . .er . .lrig-GGill . . .er lrig-lligg. That makes me want to giggle. :wah:

Well, I've never been accused of being backwards but I have been upside down, like 2 weeks ago when I fell and broke my wrist. (Still typing with 1 hand?) :-1 Not fun!

I'd no idea you'd broken your wrist, Zap ! Do you know why you fell? My mum slipped on a wet, slippery wooden jetty and landed on her wrist trying to break her fall. She broke her fall alright, and her wrist ! That's the trouble when you are of mature years, your bones can break easier, and it's a damn nuisance ! I am very careful going up and down stairs (our house is split level and has a lot of stairs, consequently. Hey do you like the way I said 'mature years' instead of old or elderly - much nicer I think ! :wah:

I hope your wrist is not too painful, and I do hope it heals well and you will be able to use it soon. Must be awkward in the shower, keeping the plaster of Paris out of the water ! And I can imagine how difficult all sorts of things must be when you have an arm out of action, particularly if it's your writing arm that's incapacitated :( Poor Zap :yh_hugs (with care though :) ) .
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
cars

Post by cars »

magentaflame;1503968 wrote: Thats interesting. I can read like that but not write.

I can only read "readin", I can't read "writin"! :wah::wah::wah:
minks

Post by minks »

"dysfunctional"

an E was boring I drew a flower lol
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I'm guessing I must be a powerful psychopath then.

Don't venture out on the roads tomorrow, I'm driving a few miles north.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1504013 wrote: I'd no idea you'd broken your wrist, Zap ! Do you know why you fell? My mum slipped on a wet, slippery wooden jetty and landed on her wrist trying to break her fall. She broke her fall alright, and her wrist ! That's the trouble when you are of mature years, your bones can break easier, and it's a damn nuisance ! I am very careful going up and down stairs (our house is split level and has a lot of stairs, consequently. Hey do you like the way I said 'mature years' instead of old or elderly - much nicer I think ! :wah:

I hope your wrist is not too painful, and I do hope it heals well and you will be able to use it soon. Must be awkward in the shower, keeping the plaster of Paris out of the water ! And I can imagine how difficult all sorts of things must be when you have an arm out of action, particularly if it's your writing arm that's incapacitated :( Poor Zap :yh_hugs (with care though :) ) .

Yes, Gill--I know why I fell.:wah: I was helping an older than I gentleman go to my car. I was going to take him home after a night (early night-8 pm) of dancing. Outside the American Legion club is a higher- than-should-be-allowed curb which I navigated ok but there was also one of those concrete barrier thingies by my left front wheel that I couldn't see because it was dark. My left toe hit it--I went flying onto my nose, forehead, left knee and left hand. I was still ok to drive--took my friend home--went on home myself--but next morning I went to the emergency room. They X-rayed everything and put a splint on it.

I had broken my right arm, at the funny bone (and that is not a funny thing, let me tell you) about 25 years ago when I tripped on a 2 inch high step as I was rushing into my office. I had to learn to write with my left hand at that time, but only forward and right-side up. :rolleyes:

Return to “General Chit Chat”