Post by spot »

MPs to vote on national anthem for England - BBC News

Pah.

O Lord our God arise

Scatter our enemies and make them fall:

Confound their politics, frustrate their Popish tricks

On Thee our hopes we fix

God save us all.

English as tuppence, changing and changeless as canal water nestling in green nowhere - how could anyone want to scrap that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Stand and deliver

Post by gmc »

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the King!

yes indeed. Most of you think it's the english national anthem anyway and sing it at football games. Heard a commentator toiday talk about the scots and welsh having national anthems in actual fact the scots do not have a national anthem.

Go for it bought time you developed a sense of national pride and stopped feeling sorry for yourselves.
FourPart

Stand and deliver

Post by FourPart »

Jerusalem is a lovely piece of music, but not suitable as a National Anthem, due to its Religious connotations - although I do have issues about "God Save The Queen" in that respect as well.

How about "Bohemian Rhapsody" - that's classed as a Rock Anthem - and it's to do with "Queen".
Bryn Mawr

Stand and deliver

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1491447 wrote: Jerusalem is a lovely piece of music, but not suitable as a National Anthem, due to its Religious connotations - although I do have issues about "God Save The Queen" in that respect as well.

How about "Bohemian Rhapsody" - that's classed as a Rock Anthem - and it's to do with "Queen".

What's wrong with Swing Low Sweet Chariot?

Personally, I'd stick with God Save the Queen - that's the only national anthem I've ever needed.
spot

Stand and deliver

Post by spot »

Some American sporting-venue managers think it's funny to play the Taiwanese anthem to People's Republic teams.

And, this week, Nazi-era German anthem at tennis tournament sparks outrage - BBC News

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, the full-throttle solo.

Anyone hosting an American team abroad might like to chance their arm with this:We are a sacred brotherhood who love our country true

We always can be counted on when there’s a job to do

We serve our homeland day and night, to keep it always free

And proudly wear our robes of white protecting liberty

the effect of which should be similar.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Current Events”