The most dangerous religion on earth ?

Discuss the latest political news.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Statism is a religion. The cult of government.

Its a riveting video and I find myself drawn towards its ideas. Some of the images in the video are disturbing but are an important and necessary inclusion.

So, is Anarchy the solution ?

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

You don't want to be playing with that anarchy stuff, it's not safe. It's a fine scheme for volunteers but most people wouldn't be if you applied it to a country.

I'll try working out how to watch your attachment, excuse my language.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1505482 wrote: You don't want to be playing with that anarchy stuff, it's not safe. It's a fine scheme for volunteers but most people wouldn't be if you applied it to a country.

I'll try working out how to watch your attachment, excuse my language.

We're not even remotely responsible as human beings to embrace anarchy and make it work. Is what we have, the best that we can have ? Or is human nature itself the limiting factor to how we all live our lives together ? Then there's not much hope for the future. Same ****, different day, decade, lifetime.

It's a constant fight with the same winners. All most of us have ever learned is to shrug our shoulders and get back into line.

Winston Churchill
Ted

Post by Ted »

Some of what this fellow says is legit. Otherwise he is a joke.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Hardly original questionsd to bve aking an how a distinct lack of konowledge of ho9w iwn country's history or indeed of any kind of hiostory at all. people can't give you rights but they can take them away and in some cases deny your right to exist at all.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Trouble is, humanity grows its own monsters. A civilised state does what it can do deal with these monsters and the modern western liberal democracy is the best at it that I know of, in all history. This is largely because we know and admit they exist and have sophisticated methods for catching them.

Even in some of the authoritarian states, NOW is the best time to live in the history of humanity. With all its shortcomings, the modern state offers the best to the most. The problem comes with too little regulation and wealth distribution through fair wages for work - it's not right that 8 people should own the same wealth as the poorest 50% of the world population combined. That's not a criticism of the people who have done it, necessarily. Warren Buffett is and honest man, from the little I've heard of him, and Gates is at least trying to do good with his pile but some of that money should have gone to the lower paid. I'd say a rule of 200 might be a good start: the highest paid employee of a company cannot earn more than 200 times the lowest paid worker per hour.

I wish we could find some way of empowering the UN to deal with global corporations. Perhaps a UN tax on a stateless corporation might be a good approach, freeing it from reliance on national governments and applying controls on the multinationals.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1505509 wrote: Trouble is, humanity grows its own monsters. A civilised state does what it can do deal with these monsters and the modern western liberal democracy is the best at it that I know of, in all history. This is largely because we know and admit they exist and have sophisticated methods for catching them.

Even in some of the authoritarian states, NOW is the best time to live in the history of humanity. With all its shortcomings, the modern state offers the best to the most. The problem comes with too little regulation and wealth distribution through fair wages for work - it's not right that 8 people should own the same wealth as the poorest 50% of the world population combined. That's not a criticism of the people who have done it, necessarily. Warren Buffett is and honest man, from the little I've heard of him, and Gates is at least trying to do good with his pile but some of that money should have gone to the lower paid. I'd say a rule of 200 might be a good start: the highest paid employee of a company cannot earn more than 200 times the lowest paid worker per hour.

I wish we could find some way of empowering the UN to deal with global corporations. Perhaps a UN tax on a stateless corporation might be a good approach, freeing it from reliance on national governments and applying controls on the multinationals.

Indeed, some form of world authority is the only way of dealing with them.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

gmc;1505499 wrote: Hardly original questionsd to bve aking an how a distinct lack of konowledge of ho9w iwn country's history or indeed of any kind of hiostory at all. people can't give you rights but they can take them away and in some cases deny your right to exist at all.

Either give up the demon drink or take the boxing gloves off.....jeez !

Winston Churchill
Ted

Post by Ted »

They are all dangerous when they move to the extremes.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Ted;1505557 wrote: They are all dangerous when they move to the extremes.

Yup.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Ted

Post by Ted »

I'm reading a dated book from the 1960s "Honest to God" written by Bishop John A T Robinsonm. It sure stirred up a lot of sh*t at that time and is the precurser to what many 21st century theologians are now saying. He fits in with Crossan, Spong, Borg, cox etc. There is only one problem with these writers, they make people think and the fundamentalists do not like it. It's like God help the thinkers.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I don't have time to read the whole book at hte moment but I was able to find this. If anyone is interested in the context of the writing.

Not Nearly Radical Enough: The Irony of John Robinson's 'Honest to God' – Opinion – ABC Religion & Ethics (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

I regard Honest to God as a breakthrough book and it should be on every church's bookshelf. It was shocking at the time because the author was a Bishop, they were the last group in the Church of England who were expected to lie in public to uphold Cranmer's historical position.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

In regards to Anarchy . Anarchy still has a structure, it's not what a government tells you it is. The word anarchy is usually said in a derogatorive way, meaning some kind of chaos but it has structure similar to communalistic rule.

Globalisation is the worst kind of government structure and rule, and IT WILL be oppressive. In fact it already is. Unfortunetly a lot of people believe the answer to it is right wing politics giving the impression of communalistic rule (you know, making one country "great again" ), but in fact is the is the opposite to anarchy.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The irony is who sets up the IT structure & the communication satelites that this sort of Anarchy propaganda is spread on - oh, yes - Governments.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

FourPart;1505653 wrote: The irony is who sets up the IT structure & the communication satelites that this sort of Anarchy propaganda is spread on - oh, yes - Governments.

It doesn't have to be.. you need to read this http://www.anarchy.no/intro.html
Ted

Post by Ted »

Spot I agree with you on "Honest to God". It came in print when I was at university and dI never had a chance to read it but now I have a used copy from amazon and it is just great. Let's not forget another Bishop who upsets peokple, John Shelby Spong. I love it.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Snowfire;1505552 wrote: Either give up the demon drink or take the boxing gloves off.....jeez !

I was beimng polite utter bollocks seemd a bit rude.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Jesus himself drank wine and probably beer as well. The Greek is very specific about the difference between fruit juice and wine and Jesus drank firmented wine.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

gmc;1505713 wrote: I was beimng polite utter bollocks seemd a bit rude.

I was referring to your almost undecipherable typing. I'd go back to two finger typing if I was you, instead of your knuckles and give us half a chance

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I finally watched that video in the OP.

Holy Crap! the guy must have slept through civics class.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ted

Post by Ted »

Lol

Return to “Current Political Events”