Galaxy Quest

spot

Galaxy Quest

Post by spot »

Having an introductory offer to a film-online broadcaster I opened their film selector and saw a lot of titles I'd never heard of. They did have a choose-by-actor option though. Having seen Sigourney Weaver play Dian Fossey I ticked her, and then Alan Rickman on the basis of his work for Radio 4. A film involving them both existed: Galaxy Quest. I watched it. The experience will stay with me for a long time.

Galaxy Quest deconstructs the ambitions and fantasies of those who attend Conventions and adulate role-playing, especially when undertaken by actors extending their screen performances into the convention arena itself. The what-if fantasy section played out aboard a "real" Thermian battle cruiser echoed equivalent phases of Ken Russell's cleverly-inverted take on Sandy Powell's "The Boy Friend".

I note that the musical score was exemplary and that the acting of the principals was superb, though I only recognised the two I've mentioned. I turned it off at the point where the ship left the space-dock, fearing an imminent and terminal deterioration in the plot.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Galaxy Quest

Post by gmc »

spot;1372074 wrote: Having an introductory offer to a film-online broadcaster I opened their film selector and saw a lot of titles I'd never heard of. They did have a choose-by-actor option though. Having seen Sigourney Weaver play Dian Fossey I ticked her, and then Alan Rickman on the basis of his work for Radio 4. A film involving them both existed: Galaxy Quest. I watched it. The experience will stay with me for a long time.

Galaxy Quest deconstructs the ambitions and fantasies of those who attend Conventions and adulate role-playing, especially when undertaken by actors extending their screen performances into the convention arena itself. The what-if fantasy section played out aboard a "real" Thermian battle cruiser echoed equivalent phases of Ken Russell's cleverly-inverted take on Sandy Powell's "The Boy Friend".

I note that the musical score was exemplary and that the acting of the principals was superb, though I only recognised the two I've mentioned. I turned it off at the point where the ship left the space-dock, fearing an imminent and terminal deterioration in the plot.

You should have watched the rest of it it's really funny in bits especially to star trek fans unless they take it and themselves too seriously. You shouldn't look for deep meaning and relevant social comment in a film that is basically a **** take designed to entertain.

Most people will know sigourney weaver through the alien film series and alan rickman through die hard and robiin hood prince of thieves I suspect you exist in a cultural backwater and have yet to watch alien and die hard.

Snooz

Galaxy Quest

Post by Snooz »

It definitely spoofed Star Trek and its rabid fan base. This was probably Tim Allen's best movie.
spot

Galaxy Quest

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1372094 wrote: It definitely spoofed Star Trek and its rabid fan base. This was probably Tim Allen's best movie.I note the following alleged quote, though I very much doubt its authenticity:I thought it was very funny, and I thought the audience that they portrayed was totally real, but the actors that they were pretending to be were totally unrecognizable. Certainly I don't know what Tim Allen was doing. He seemed to be the head of a group of actors, and for the life of me I was trying to understand who he was imitating. The only one I recognized was the girl playing Nichelle Nichols. - William Shatner.If it's an accurate quote then William Shatner's sense of humor, which I already rated highly, is stratospheric.

The Alien, Robin Hood and Die Hard franchises are all labelled "occasional violence", I avoid violence in films as much as I avoid it elsewhere. They also (I suspect though I don't guarantee it) perpetuate the damaging myth that some people are irreproachably good while others are equivalently bad. I'd hate to have that idea infiltrate into my mind, not even by way of a work of fiction.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Galaxy Quest

Post by gmc »

spot;1372103 wrote: I note the following alleged quote, though I very much doubt its authenticity:I thought it was very funny, and I thought the audience that they portrayed was totally real, but the actors that they were pretending to be were totally unrecognizable. Certainly I don't know what Tim Allen was doing. He seemed to be the head of a group of actors, and for the life of me I was trying to understand who he was imitating. The only one I recognized was the girl playing Nichelle Nichols. - William Shatner.If it's an accurate quote then William Shatner's sense of humor, which I already rated highly, is stratospheric.

The Alien, Robin Hood and Die Hard franchises are all labelled "occasional violence", I avoid violence in films as much as I avoid it elsewhere. They also (I suspect though I don't guarantee it) perpetuate the damaging myth that some people are irreproachably good while others are equivalently bad. I'd hate to have that idea infiltrate into my mind, not even by way of a work of fiction.

Violence is part of life. Films where violence is the main point of the story I'd be inclined to agree with you can be boring where it is incidental is a whole different matter. I think you miss a lot talking such a circumscribed view - After all Shakespeare contains occasional violence and themes of an adult nature. I take it you also avoid going to church during holy week because of it's glorification of betrayal and violence and the perpetuation of the damaging myth that some people are irreproachably good while others are equivalently bad.:sneaky:

"I had originally not wanted to see Galaxy Quest because I heard that it was making fun of Star Trek, and then Jonathan Frakes rang me up and said 'You must not miss this movie! See it on a Saturday night in a full theatre.' And I did, and of course I found it was brilliant. Brilliant. No one laughed louder or longer in the cinema than I did."

-Sir Patrick Stewart (a.k.a. Captain Picard) talking about Galaxy Quest.

LarsMac

Galaxy Quest

Post by LarsMac »

Galaxy Quest is funny. There was point where Tim's character gets a little preachy, and the movie starts to take itself seriously, but it doesn't last.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Galaxy Quest

Post by gmc »

Curse you spot, I ended up watching it on you tube. :-5
LarsMac

Galaxy Quest

Post by LarsMac »

Pretty Silly, huh?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Galaxy Quest

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1372197 wrote: Pretty Silly, huh?

No I don't think spot is particularly silly:-3

Bit of a philistine who perhaps does not appreciate star trek but nobody is perfect.
spot

Galaxy Quest

Post by spot »

I think I can top the previous offering...

Star Wars Uncut: Director's Cut on Vimeo

This is the version your mother warned you about.In 2009, thousands of Internet users were asked to remake “Star Wars: A New Hope” into a fan film, 15 seconds at a time...

And a review.
spot

Galaxy Quest

Post by spot »

gmc;1372088 wrote: and alan rickman through die hard and robiin hood prince of thieves It has occurred to me since Alan Rickman's death that I haven't watched an awful lot of his films and perhaps I should have a go at them. He was a fine actor and I've enjoyed some interviews he made over the decades.

This may mean I have to watch Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

I have so far resisted the idea because the definitive Sheriff of Nottingham has always been, as far as I'm concerned, the astonishing Keith Allen. How could anyone top Keith Allen's performance.

Perhaps now is the time. I do regret Alan Rickman's early end.

gmc;1372106 wrote: Violence is part of life.Not mine, dear boy. Not mine.
gmc

Galaxy Quest

Post by gmc »

Don't forget he was marvin in the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Do you by any chance wear a cloth cap?
Betty Boop

Galaxy Quest

Post by Betty Boop »

He was also in Love Actually, bet you don't watch that one :wah:
spot

Galaxy Quest

Post by spot »

gmc;1505073 wrote: Do you by any chance wear a cloth cap?

Only when wearing an outdoor jacket. Woolen's a cloth. I bought both in Tarbert some years ago.
gmc

Galaxy Quest

Post by gmc »

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cloth ... 20&bih=916

Don't know why but I was reminded of an adage I first heard lerning to drive. Be wary of old blokes wearing a cloth cap when driving I think just as you seem oblivious to modern media culture they are oblivious to what is happening around them. Nowadays I would extend that to white van man wearing a beanie hat.
Bryn Mawr

Galaxy Quest

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1505107 wrote: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cloth ... 20&bih=916

Don't know why but I was reminded of an adage I first heard lerning to drive. Be wary of old blokes wearing a cloth cap when driving I think just as you seem oblivious to modern media culture they are oblivious to what is happening around them. Nowadays I would extend that to white van man wearing a beanie hat.

More generally, beware of blokes who wear a hat / cap indoors - they have something to hide :-)
ZAP

Galaxy Quest

Post by ZAP »

Bryn Mawr;1505111 wrote: More generally, beware of blokes who wear a hat / cap indoors - they have something to hide :-)

Or maybe it's the lack of "something" the nothing, they're trying to hide. :wah:

(I, and many women, think bald men are sexy.)

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”