What do you use to get online?

Guppers

Post by Guppers »

I've used a iPad for years now...when I have to use a laptop for some reason...it's irritating...don't think I could go back to a keyboard...Im too used to the iPad keyboard screen. Soooo, what do you prefer? Computer, laptop, iPad, android, cell phone....
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

At home it's a Desktop. Out & about it's my Mobile, on Wi-Fi where I can - on Mobile Data only if I really have to. At work - full business network.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Guppers;1503440 wrote: I've used a iPad for years now...when I have to use a laptop for some reason...it's irritating...don't think I could go back to a keyboard...Im too used to the iPad keyboard screen. Soooo, what do you prefer? Computer, laptop, iPad, android, cell phone....

A desktop for preference or a laptop if I'm out and about - if I'm desperate then my 'phone for reading but it's a pain as an input device.

When I use a computer I tend to be typing a fair bit and the method of input is important to me.

I've tried a tablet and it does nothing for me - why tie yourself to the manufacturer for any software you want and throw away the keyboard for an inferior input?
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I prefer to use the laptop at home. When not home, I use my smart phone. I had a tablet given to me a few years ago and didn't like it.
spot

Post by spot »

What I need is a physical full-size keyboard which isn't wireless, and a screen distance I can focus on without glasses that's not so small I can't distinguish the writing easily.

There's lots of ways I can get that but the easiest is a desktop. It's a long time since I took a desktop with me anywhere, I use a laptop for that.

I'll occasionally send photos from my phone with email, or read a webpage, but the only thing I write into on a phone is SMS. I dislike touchscreens.

I've never found a use for a tablet.

If I want to reed in bed I have a Kindle 3 which is ideal.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Desktop in kitchen, laptop in living room, tablet in bedroom, android phone when out and about :wah: I can use any of them anywhere, very versatile me.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

it depends on the time of day....If it's during business hours, I have a monster iMac Air with upgraded everything, hooked to a 24 inch monitor and a 5 terrabyte external hard drive. The whole array is hooked to both a Denon surround sound system with massive 12" Pioneer and Teac speakers and a state-of-the-art LCD projector that projects to my whiteboard so I can draw on the image. I use it for everything from spreadsheets, to videos and Youtube Edu, to school programs.

At home, during the evening, I use my home iMac which is also upgraded and is hooked to my own MyCloud server. It has my entire DVD collection and 102 Gigbytes of music that will stream to my TV via my Blueray player. If nothing's on on the 800+ channels I have, I just watch a movie off the server.

After hours, I usually check my iPad in bed before I go to sleep and in the mornigns for the news...

Yep. I'm a techie!
gmc

Post by gmc »

Desktop, I have a laptop as a back up in case of failure or if I'm away and will need to use a computer. I find laptops just too slowand irritating in comparison to a desktop and I like a big screen. Fed up dodging people not looking where they are going because they are using a phone or pad while walking.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

When I'm out wandrin, I have my Macbook Pro laptop with me. When I get back to my home/office, it plugs into my iMac and the homebrew server (and virtualization system) with monitor and keyboard.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Small 3g data phone, i have no choice... thankyou Australian government.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

My wings!! Said the bird on the wire..
Guppers

Post by Guppers »

YZGI;1503710 wrote: My wings!! Said the bird on the wire..

Betty Boop;1503596 wrote: Desktop in kitchen, laptop in living room, tablet in bedroom, android phone when out and about :wah: I can use any of them anywhere, very versatile me.

Or a clothespin said the wet laundry. Lol
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Harmony Assistant.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I have a laptop and use it exclusively. I was handed an Ipad recently at the doctor's office to use in completing a survey on the quality of care. I loved it but they made me give it back!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1504127 wrote: I have a laptop and use it exclusively. I was handed an Ipad recently at the doctor's office to use in completing a survey on the quality of care. I loved it but they made me give it back!

Given the price of them I'm not surprised.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Bryn Mawr;1504132 wrote: Given the price of them I'm not surprised.

True! I came home and looked at them online & decided I was okay with my laptop!
messo

Post by messo »

Since getting my first home PC about six months ago its been XP Pro, but last month I bought a MX Linux 17.1 CD from OSDisc, and last week I got up the nerve to try it out in LiveCD mode. Its awesome! It connects to the internet 'automagically' upon boot, and does pretty much everything else for me thereafter. Turns out learning a new OS is not that hard if you pick the right Linux distro.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

messo;1519864 wrote: Since getting my first home PC about six months ago its been XP Pro, but last month I bought a MX Linux 17.1 CD from OSDisc, and last week I got up the nerve to try it out in LiveCD mode. Its awesome! It connects to the internet 'automagically' upon boot, and does pretty much everything else for me thereafter. Turns out learning a new OS is not that hard if you pick the right Linux distro.

Interesting first home PC if it's still running XP but I agree, Linux is my OS of preference. I've been using Ubuntu for many years and recently set up a laptop to run Mint as a demo machine for a friend who want to try it - both are good but I think Mint might be easier for someone new to Linux.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I've been using my phone lately. Android with Chrome. Works fairly well.

Was trying to use my Kindle but I really dislike the browser that comes with it.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1519901 wrote: I've been using my phone lately. Android with Chrome. Works fairly well.

Was trying to use my Kindle but I really dislike the browser that comes with it.

Yes, the Kindle browser calls itself experimental and is clearly underdeveloped but I could not survive with just my phone - not enough real estate on the screen.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1519902 wrote: Yes, the Kindle browser calls itself experimental and is clearly underdeveloped but I could not survive with just my phone - not enough real estate on the screen.

yeah, I have a win laptop, but lately have been too mobile and too busy to use the laptop most of the time.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
messo

Post by messo »

Bryn Mawr;1519899 wrote: Interesting first home PC if it's still running XP but I agree, Linux is my OS of preference. I've been using Ubuntu for many years and recently set up a laptop to run Mint as a demo machine for a friend who want to try it - both are good but I think Mint might be easier for someone new to Linux.

I got a Dell Optiplex 755 used off Ebay, with XP Pro already installed....probably that special sort of install for business, as I never had to fool with calling M$ to validate/activate. Took it to local PC shop to have them 'sanitize' it of any nasties, but none found. Had them switch out the CD-ROM for a DVD burner, up the RAM to 8GB, and install a mobile rack in the spare 5.25 slot. I'm slowly working on a custom-build, but everything on this one is still working. The inboard video buffers movies a lot, but otherwise this is an okay used PC for $122.

I tried Linux Mint about four months after MX Linux, but was already spoiled. MX Linux is just easier to use, find what is needed, and figure out how to make it work. Linux Mint does connect to the internet 'automagically' (only MX Linux and TAILS so far can claim the same). One would think that would be top priority for any/all Linux distros, but one would be wrong. I tried out around twenty distros, and all require one to fool with 'internet connection'...way to NOT score a M$ expat!

Return to “Computers Internet”