Antique electrostatic device

Gav

Post by Gav »

Hi, I have had this Newton & co electrostatic disk generator for a few years now that was found in a barn conversion my company done. I need some help with finding out more info on it and a rough valuation.

I've done loads of google searches but not really found anything worth while.

Any help on a value or any links to this sort of stuff will be greatly appreciated.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Fascinating.

I suggest putting in on eBay with a very high reserve price, then see what transpires.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

It looks like it might be a variation on a Winter Influence Machine (or Winter Static Machine) circa 1890.

You should be able to find more information by looking up that type of machine, including auction prices and museums.
spot

Post by spot »

It's an influence machine of Holtz's design - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Holtz

from the 1870s, pre-dating the more efficient Wimshurst generator. I don't imagine any were made after the 1880s.

eta: I agree entirely with Wandrin but we cross-posted.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Gav

Post by Gav »

Thank you very much
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I would buy one of those just to say "i own one of those".

Its weird and wonderful.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Lawrence Bragg - 1961 CHRISTMAS LECTURES | The Royal Institution: Science Lives Here

Return to “Science”