headphone problem

Snowfire

headphone problem

Post by Snowfire »

My headphones have suddenly stopped working when plugged into the laptop.

I have gone through the usual rigmarole, "manage audio devices"..."sound" but the problem is, is that the headphones do not show up. Just speakers. I know the headphones are, themselves, working but am I right to think it may be the laptop headphone socket itself that isn't working ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

headphone problem

Post by Snowfire »

I cant be without headphones.....X Factor is on soon. I need to drown that out and immerse myself in my own little world

Winston Churchill
spot

headphone problem

Post by spot »

You'll have restarted the laptop?

I can't imagine the hardware suddenly died, that would be very rare. Though the laptop I happen to be ripping some CDs onto my phone with seems to have no working speaker under Microsoft Windows 8.1.

Once you've restarted with the headphones unplugged, start playing something. Plug in the headphones. Do the speakers cut out, at least?

If you normally hear the Windows Startup chime, do you hear the Windows Startup chime on the speakers?

Have you considered the attractions of the pub?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

headphone problem

Post by Snowfire »

Well ! A restart should always be the default problem solver but because I had just turned it on it didn't occur to me.

That's solved it and only half an hour before Honey G whines her way under my skin.

Had that not worked, a Guinness in the local would have been my only course of action.

And spot. Honey G should remain a mystery. Please don't attempt to find out who, or what she is. It will only end in tears

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

headphone problem

Post by Snowfire »

I can now review my "likes" saved through my Spotify, in peace, drowning all extraneous noises emanating from the TV

Winston Churchill
spot

headphone problem

Post by spot »

Very proper too. I spent the last ten minutes finding the right size black nitrile grommet to keep a glass tap located properly. Pack of ten £2.80 from Shanghai including postage. It's like ironmongers have suddenly been resurrected.

My CD-ripping has now put tracks on my phone that really have no place in any civilized environment and I can Bluetooth them onto my public address system with nobody knowing where that dreadful noise is coming from, though I did it so I can fly more comfortably next Saturday.

for example. I might get to see him on stage some day.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

headphone problem

Post by Snowfire »

I bought a watch from that side of the world a couple of years ago. Shanghai not The Gambia.

Two watch faces, a thermometer and a compass. All on one strap for a fiver. Just never had the balls to wear it public.

Winston Churchill
Bruv

headphone problem

Post by Bruv »

spot;1501950 wrote: Very proper too. I spent the last ten minutes finding the right size black nitrile grommet to keep a glass tap located properly. Pack of ten £2.80 from Shanghai including postage. It's like ironmongers have suddenly been resurrected.

My CD-ripping has now put tracks on my phone that really have no place in any civilized environment and I can Bluetooth them onto my public address system with nobody knowing where that dreadful noise is coming from, though I did it so I can fly more comfortably next Saturday.

for example. I might get to see him on stage some day.

What have I stepped into ?

I know I'm not drunk or high.........but the conversation is quite surreal.......I have led a sheltered life though.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bruv

headphone problem

Post by Bruv »

Snowfire;1501948 wrote: Honey G should remain a mystery. Please don't attempt to find out who, or what she is. It will only end in tears

Too late for me.
Snowfire

headphone problem

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1501956 wrote: Too late for me.

Tears ?

Winston Churchill
Bruv

headphone problem

Post by Bruv »

Snowfire;1501957 wrote: Tears ?

Honey G
Saint_

headphone problem

Post by Saint_ »

Yeah, I know how you guys feel. I was ripping my DVD collection to MP4 and uploading it to my terrabyte-drive so that I could stream it via my blueray player in HDMI, but I also had to copy that to my iCloud so that I can see it on my iPad, which is ridiculously slow on the weekend because the neighbors are sapping the bandwidth. Then, of course I have to also copy to my portable ultradrive so that I can take them to school and put them on my External Hard Drive and make sure that Crashplan backs them up to the main cloud. At school, I forgot to do that because I was editing the HTML code on the school's web page and I couldn't get one of the YouTube containers to recognize the Homepage. So now all that work for the weekend is perched perilously on my desktop and I'm hoping nothing crashes before I can get back to school on Monday. Worse yet, the weighting in my PowerSchool gradebook was screwed up, so it was computing all the grades wrong. The Pride grade was supposed to be 10% of the student's grade, but since the work is 80% and the Final Exam is 20% and that is calculated after the 100%, you can't use 10% as a number for the Pride grade because 80% of 10% is only 8%. You have to use 12.5% so that 80% of that is 10% later....

I sure am glad that computers are making my life easier.

Return to “Computers Internet”