Koyaanisqatsi

spot

Koyaanisqatsi

Post by spot »

I'd like an opinion or two. Is there anything about Koyaanisqatsi which might distress a bright five year old, or is it safe viewing.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Koyaanisqatsi

Post by LarsMac »

Been a long time since I saw that, but if memory serves, it is not something I would deliberately dump on a 5-year-old.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Koyaanisqatsi

Post by spot »

I had it in mind that it might be stimulating and at the same time educational but I will happily defer to an alternative view. I thought the music going with the imagery, and the imagery, were potentially exciting.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Momus

Koyaanisqatsi

Post by Momus »

My humble opinion, would be, that it is most educational. As for suitability, i would depend that on how perceptive the child is and capability of understanding what they are seeing.
ZAP

Koyaanisqatsi

Post by ZAP »

Phillip Glass' composition of Koyaanisquatsi troubles me. I much prefer his The Kiss

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click
spot

Koyaanisqatsi

Post by spot »

That worked rather well, I thought. Three of us sat and watched it at home from the DVD player and the five year old stayed focused throughout, making occasional interjections and asking a question or two as it progressed.

I would much prefer to have shown him the film in a cinema but that's never been simple. I remember turning up at the National Film Theatre one evening with my elder daughter as a guest when she was six to see Jonathan Miller's Alice in Wonderland and having to talk the management into letting her through the door, they having (unknown to me until then) a policy at the time of no under-eighteens for anything. They no doubt had good reason but it makes educating a child more of an uphill effort than it need be.

Finding a cinema actually screening Koyaanisqatsi provides another hurdle, of course. There's an art cinema opened a couple of miles down the coast this year, I may drop a note into their suggestion box and ask their policy regarding age.

Meanwhile, suggestions of other suitable films to bring to his attention would be welcome.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”