Paul Gascoigne

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Paul Gascoigne

Post by Bruv »

Ex-England footballer Paul Gascoigne has pleaded guilty to racially aggravated abuse over a joke at a show.

Gascoigne "humiliated" a black security guard assigned to protect him during An Evening With Gazza in Wolverhampton, Dudley Magistrates' Court heard............Gascoigne, 49, asked Errol Rowe "can you smile please, because I can't see you?"

If the guard had been ginger or fat, or very tall, would it have been acceptable to make jokes about that ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Paul Gascoigne

Post by spot »

It's hard not to feel sorry for Gazza, he's spent so much of his life being an absolute pillock and I'm sure he never deliberately wanted to.

And no, it wouldn't be acceptable. A fellow's meant to be able to do his job without being messed around just because his employer's witless. Personal abuse disguised as alleged humour is no longer acceptable, and a good thing too.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Paul Gascoigne

Post by G#Gill »

It really is about time Gazza grew up ! I used to enjoy watching him skillfully play football, but he spoiled himself by being such a pratt off the pitch. He tried so hard to be the 'life and soul of the party' and OK many people thought him quite a clown (including me !). But it really is time he respected other people, grew up and joined society in a proper manner.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Paul Gascoigne

Post by spot »

And he hasn't pleaded anything, he's pled. I do wish people would get that right.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Paul Gascoigne

Post by Bruv »

I think the state of mind of Paul Gascoigne is another topic, he just happens to be the person paying the fine this time.

I am trying to think of a joke that doesn't depend on somebody or something being the target in some way.

"Why did the chicken cross the road ?" It is obviously to get to the other side........you are stupid for even having to think of an answer.

"Can a kangaroo jump higher than a house?"......of course not.....stupid......houses can't jump.

How do you confuse an Irishman?...... Put two shovels against a wall, and tell him to take his pick!
Momus

Paul Gascoigne

Post by Momus »

Put this into perspective. Gascoigne is not a neo nazi far right hardliner with an undeviating history of racial attacks. Nor, is he so much as a ukip motor mouth with a political agenda. He is a 50 year old man, prone to poor life choices. This ' crime ' has been presented by the Crown Prosecution Service as ' racially aggravated'. The ' crime ' is part of The Crime and Disorder Act 1998 and racially aggravated offences under this law, are based upon the precedents of wounding, assault, damage, harassment and threatening/abusive behaviour. A joke, however much in bad taste, to be classified under this legislation, is absurd in the extreme. Gascoigne no doubt, humiliated the man, yet the humiliation now heaped upon Gascoigne being dragged through the courts, to be publicly humiliated himself and landed with a criminal record, is vindictiveness, not justice by any sense. Should Gascoigne been approached and shown how his joke had caused distress to the victim, it's highly likely, some mutual agreement could have been reached with a heartfelt apology, and financial recompense, and this revolting spectacle that only keeps gutter press in jobs, and lawyers wives in exotic holidays, could have been avoided. Further more, pop down to Canning Town, Tottenham or Streatham and you'll find this is what is known as banter between black and white communities. He should not have made this joke in front of an audience. That is unacceptable, but the man is not a racist. He is guilty of poor judgement and a spontaneous quip in poor taste, which makes a mockery of very real racial hate crime.
Bruv

Paul Gascoigne

Post by Bruv »

Hallelujah........I very nearly agree with my mate Momus........apart from the joke being in poor taste, it was a 'Joke'

I am of the feeling the security guard was a 'Professional' black bloke who could see there was some mileage in complaining. He is a security guard, black or white, he should be used to being abused, why complain.....this time?
G#Gill

Paul Gascoigne

Post by G#Gill »

Can't help but agree with you Momus. I still say Gazza needs to grow up and get a little common sense and respect for people.
Momus

Paul Gascoigne

Post by Momus »

G#Gill;1501338 wrote: Can't help but agree with you Momus. I still say Gazza needs to grow up and get a little common sense and respect for people. It's rather easy for those blessed with high IQ's to look down from a lofty height with priggish superiority over another mortal who may not equal one's own standards. There are adults who can not ' grow up ' simply because they are born with mentally restricted brain capacity that leaves them with childlike qualities right into adulthood. I suspect, Gascoigne possess's a child like mentality, that he has no control over. It is no doubt, his childlike quality that landed him in this farce in the first place. Those who are fortunate enough to possess a learning curve in life that enables them to mature into adults, have no place taking the moral high ground over those who have lacked the same ability through no fault of their own. Understanding and empathy tends to be more rewarding than the lofty stance.
magentaflame

Paul Gascoigne

Post by magentaflame »

Bruv;1501334 wrote: I think the state of mind of Paul Gascoigne is another topic, he just happens to be the person paying the fine this time.

I am trying to think of a joke that doesn't depend on somebody or something being the target in some way.

"Why did the chicken cross the road ?" It is obviously to get to the other side........you are stupid for even having to think of an answer.

"Can a kangaroo jump higher than a house?"......of course not.....stupid......houses can't jump.

How do you confuse an Irishman?...... Put two shovels against a wall, and tell him to take his pick!

On behalf of kangaroos everywhere i would like to take exception and offence !

I think the the Irish joke was funny though...im stealing that one, its clever.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bruv

Paul Gascoigne

Post by Bruv »

Momus;1501339 wrote: It's rather easy for those blessed with high IQ's to look down from a lofty height with priggish superiority over another mortal who may not equal one's own standards. There are adults who can not ' grow up ' simply because they are born with mentally restricted brain capacity that leaves them with childlike qualities right into adulthood. I suspect, Gascoigne possess's a child like mentality, that he has no control over. It is no doubt, his childlike quality that landed him in this farce in the first place. Those who are fortunate enough to possess a learning curve in life that enables them to mature into adults, have no place taking the moral high ground over those who have lacked the same ability through no fault of their own. Understanding and empathy tends to be more rewarding than the lofty stance.

More irony ?
spot

Paul Gascoigne

Post by spot »

Momus;1501336 wrote: Put this into perspective. Gascoigne is not a neo nazi far right hardliner with an undeviating history of racial attacks.
Be fair, he hasn't the brains for that.

It's rather easy for those blessed with high IQ's to look down from a lofty height with priggish superiority over another mortal who may not equal one's own standards.
I can recognize a personal attack when I see one.
Momus

Paul Gascoigne

Post by Momus »

spot;1501345 wrote: Be fair, he hasn't the brains for that.

I can recognize a personal attack when I see one.

A personal attack may be descriptive in the literal sense, but at the time, it was directed at a section of society ie the black population. It's not likely to be directed at the man himself, personal as would ' you smell ' be a personal attack. His remark was more a preconceived image of blacks being invisible in the dark, not an insult directed at him alone as an individual.
Bruv

Paul Gascoigne

Post by Bruv »

@Spot......it seems Mr Momus hasn't come across someone with your sense of humour, or he may lack the intellectual capacity to recognise a joke. (It could be me though)
Momus

Paul Gascoigne

Post by Momus »

Bruv;1501349 wrote: @Spot......it seems Mr Momus hasn't come across someone with your sense of humour, or he may lack the intellectual capacity to recognise a joke. (It could be me though)

Yes, it probably is.
G#Gill

Paul Gascoigne

Post by G#Gill »

I don't think so Momus, Bruv can quite easily recognise a joke and I'm sure Bruv can also recognise sarcasm.

Return to “General Chit Chat”