Burkhini?

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
LarsMac

Burkhini?

Post by LarsMac »

So, been reading about these new swimsuits designed by and for Arab/Muslim women who want to maintain proper modesty when bathing.

I don't get it. Some beaches have banned them, and people in some very civilized regions have become rather enthusiastic about their opinions of them.

What's that about? I grew up in South Florida, and I have seen all sorts of swimwear choices.

What do you care what other people wear when they bathe?

And if you paid airfare/trainfare to travel to a vacation destination, how do you feel about them telling you what you can, and cannot wear while you are in the water.

I get that some places are NOT nude beaches, and will require you to wear something. But to go the other way and tell you that you are wearing too much?

Seriously?

What do ya think?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Burkhini?

Post by Betty Boop »

I'd rather look at a burkini than a budgie smuggler.

Its a ridiculous ruling. They are actually a good idea given that many are worried about the risk of skin cancer nowadays. I see no problem with them at all.
gmc

Burkhini?

Post by gmc »

France takes secularism very seriously after the attacks in nice and elsewhere wearing the burkha and burkhina which were not actually that common before can be seen as deliberately provocative. there is always the question whether the woman is being given a choice in the matter as well.

If you moved to saudi arabia your wife would have to be very careful as to how she behaved and what she wore why is it so wrong to say to people living in europe that they should accept our social norms and values?

I'm ambivalent about burkhas. If you look at our language how much emphasis is polaced on being able to see someone's face. Meet eye to eye, look me in the eye, shifty eyed, wouldn't meet your gaze, shame faced, downcast eyes, sideways glance, looking askance, masked expressioin, honest faced etc etc. In that context covering your face so it can't be seen is, in our culture, an insult and offensive.

Not so long ago bikinis were banned on the same beaches as offensive although most males were not particularly offended religoin makes fools of us all.

posted by us

I'd rather look at a burkini than a budgie smuggler

I'm not particularly interested in looking at budgie smugglers either. Most males probably couldn't tell you the colour of the bikini the last woman they saw wearing one was wearing.
Bruv

Burkhini?

Post by Bruv »

It is the 'Fear factor'.......the idea that 'They' are taking over.

It is like when young men starting cutting their hair short, and again when they let it grow long.......but this time with knobs on.

I have noticed that in my town there are more women wearing obvious signs they are of the Muslim persuasion, not hijabs just the hair covering scarf, at least one of these is a youngish English girl with young children. She appeared on a TV program as the odd one in the family that converted to Islam, watching her shopping recently she was throwing non halal meat into her trolley. I am not a prowler I work in the supermarket and was watching from a window overlooking the shop floor.

Anyway......my point.....it must take a lot of conviction to advertise your religion in this day and age...............unless.....it is advertised for effect......just like those long haired hippies or crew cut rebels.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Wandrin

Burkhini?

Post by Wandrin »

It sounds like old fashioned bigotry to me.

I wonder, though, what would happen if someone wearing a burkhini was carrying a snorkel mask and flippers. Would anything change?
gmc

Burkhini?

Post by gmc »

so what do you think of these bathing suits. Have w progressed since then?

Victorian Bathing Suits (PHOTOS)

Married women used to cover their hair in public in those days as well ( a wee hairy in glasgow parlance was and is in some quarters a derogatory term for a girl regarded as sluttish or a prostitute so identified because of the loose hair the origfin goes back to vistorian times )

If it was a estrn woman who wore a cortume like that to pleas her menfolk what would you think about it then?
Saint_

Burkhini?

Post by Saint_ »

Common sense. As my mother used to say, "Don't poke a tiger with a stick."

Is it someone's right to wear a swimsuit with a swastika on it to a public beach?

Sure.

Should they?

Oh Hell no.

Things that make people twitchy, whatever they are, are a bad idea to allow in large, community places because, sooner or later, it will cause trouble. You want to wear that in your living room? Great. You want to start a riot at the local grocery store? Not such a good idea.
Momus

Burkhini?

Post by Momus »

The banning of the Burkini is ridiculous. While good reason for banning the Burka in the interests of national security, there is no sense in banning a Burkini.

In a religious sense, the Burka can be argued as covering the face and being not acceptable in today's political climate, but a woman covering her body out of modesty to her religion is something else.

Mosques segregate their women during prayer, why not simply allow Muslim women their own times for swimming, especially when in Germany, German women are being forced to be segregated in swimming pools following migrant nuisance anyway.

As usual, the West continue's to chase the mouse while the cat gets away.
Saint_

Burkhini?

Post by Saint_ »

Momus;1500179 wrote: The banning of the Burkini is ridiculous.

Oh I don't know about that. My bank makes me take off my mirrored sunglasses when I come in so that their facial recognition technology will work better. Couldn't terrorists wear burkinins to carry out an attack anonymously?
Momus

Burkhini?

Post by Momus »

Saint_;1500180 wrote: Oh I don't know about that. My bank makes me take off my mirrored sunglasses when I come in so that their facial recognition technology will work better. Couldn't terrorists wear burkinins to carry out an attack anonymously?

The Burka covers the face.

The Burkini does not.

You do understand the difference i take it ?

Attached files
Saint_

Burkhini?

Post by Saint_ »

Momus;1500182 wrote: The Burka covers the face.

The Burkini does not.

You do understand the difference i take it ?

LOL! Oh, well never mind then...

Although that young woman is carrying quite a set of torpedos....
minks

Burkhini?

Post by minks »

EGADS SAINT you had to go there didn't you.

Call me ill informed, but back in the 70's in countries like Saudi Arabia, women did not don such full body coverings as the Burka etc. I always thought these were forms of oppression not religion Again I likely am ill informed.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bruv

Burkhini?

Post by Bruv »

The Burkhini police on Nice beach.
LarsMac

Burkhini?

Post by LarsMac »

It really seems silly, to me, that in this day and age, men still tell women what they are allowed to wear.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Burkhini?

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1500336 wrote: It really seems silly, to me, that in this day and age, men still tell women what they are allowed to wear.

Try walking naked round your local supermarket I bet the fashion police will have something to say to you as well.
magentaflame

Burkhini?

Post by magentaflame »

Just wondering. Say the government wants to take a political stance against skin cancer......thousands die every year taking up resouces that could be put elsewhere.

Suddenly there are armed police on the beach telling you to cover up or face a substantial fine. But you dont mind paying a fine because you know that money is going back into the coffers to fight skin cancer.

I dont see this situation as racism or against any religion . I see it as sexism. Muslim men arent being tild ti vacate buult up areas.......just muslim women. Stripping women in a public place? Okay....... if that floats your boat. But may i ask a question? Do you want to go along to a game of junior football or any spirt a muslim woman plays and see police demand that she strips down to a short skirt or shorts in public or in front of their team mates?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Momus

Burkhini?

Post by Momus »

gmc;1500338 wrote: Try walking naked round your local supermarket I bet the fashion police will have something to say to you as well.

How many times have you done that?
G#Gill

Burkhini?

Post by G#Gill »

gmc;1500338 wrote: Try walking naked round your local supermarket I bet the fashion police will have something to say to you as well.

Would they even notice in Walmart, gmc ? :yh_rotfl
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
magentaflame

Burkhini?

Post by magentaflame »

Momus;1500349 wrote: How many times have you done that?

Funny you know. They fid an experiment in different areas of australia as to how far you could physically travel from the beach before wearing just speedoes became offensive. In one area it was five kilometres inland.

Around my way . People are offended by a bikini top in a service station on a sunday morning, four kilometres from the beach. Ive personally only seen it once. But granted we did have a spate of weather where we were having 30deg midnights. In that circumstance its passable.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
gmc

Burkhini?

Post by gmc »

Momus;1500349 wrote: How many times have you done that?

Never - I think the sound of laughter would get me down.
Wandrin

Burkhini?

Post by Wandrin »

The highest administrative court in France has ruled that mayors do not have the right to ban burkinis. They expect that this will suspend the burkini bans by towns.
magentaflame

Burkhini?

Post by magentaflame »

Just saw that on the morning news.....civil rights violation.
LarsMac

Burkhini?

Post by LarsMac »

My niece and her friend are taking a trip to Nice soon. They are now shopping for Burkhinis just to be troublemakers. She makes me so proud, sometimes.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Burkhini?

Post by magentaflame »

Again just saw something on the telly..... i didnt know the Burkini was invented in Australia. Hmmph. Makes sense though.

Someone got the idea from the.....wait for it......

The compulsory wearing of full body coverings for all our life savers. And all school children learning to swim have to wear coverings and hats.......hmmmmm.
Ted

Burkhini?

Post by Ted »

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this. I believe in civil rights but I can also see the negative side of some Muslim clothing. Is it a man or a woman inside the Burckha ? Does that person wear a bomb? Who is this person marking the ballot? It was said earlier that one would not poke a tiger withe a stick. There has to be a happy medium somewhere. ?????????? I also like the multiculturalism I find in Vancouver.
AnneBoleyn

Burkhini?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The burkhini is very form-fitting, Ted, no room for bombs. In it's own way, quite revealing, figure wise. In my neighborhood, I've seen young Muslim mothers in full burkha---they wear tons of eye makeup, and the burkhas are very tight. Makes the whole business of covering up peculiar. Some have started adorning the black garment with expensive jewels.
Ted

Burkhini?

Post by Ted »

Thanks.
Momus

Burkhini?

Post by Momus »

AnneBoleyn;1500765 wrote: The burkhini is very form-fitting, Ted, no room for bombs. In it's own way, quite revealing, figure wise. In my neighborhood, I've seen young Muslim mothers in full burkha---they wear tons of eye makeup, and the burkhas are very tight. Makes the whole business of covering up peculiar. Some have started adorning the black garment with expensive jewels.

I don't believe you have any concept to the nature of the ban in France. It is not about the capacity of the garb to conceal a bomb. Any clothing can conceal a bomb, anywhere and any time. The French have banned the Burka due to it's regressive nature and nothing to do with concealing bombs. In fact, that's a pretty dangerous assumption to make as you are suggesting that every Muslim woman has the potential to wish to blow up innocent people on a beach and they must all be treated as potential terrorists.

Quoting the French Ambassador to the US, Gérard Araud stated " Moving to read so many supporters of the submission to a patriarchal, regressive and mysoginistic clothing code. That's what is at stake." The French believe that Burkini represents Islam's refusal to allow Muslim women to participate in Western culture.
Bruv

Burkhini?

Post by Bruv »

Momus;1500812 wrote: I don't believe you have any concept to the nature of the ban in France. It is not about the capacity of the garb to conceal a bomb.

Did you read the comment you quoted from ?
Momus

Burkhini?

Post by Momus »

Bruv;1500815 wrote: Did you read the comment you quoted from ?

I am responding in essence to a comment that stated in part ' no room for bombs '. Something which is offensive, irresponsible and inaccurate in a manner that denotes stereotyping the Muslim faith.
FourPart

Burkhini?

Post by FourPart »

I see it as not being about being regressive, or anything to do with bombs, but the fact that not being able to see someone's face can be extremely intimidating.
Bruv

Burkhini?

Post by Bruv »

Momus;1500818 wrote: I am responding in essence to a comment that stated in part ' no room for bombs '. Something which is offensive, irresponsible and inaccurate in a manner that denotes stereotyping the Muslim faith.

Well......read it again................

The burkhini is very form-fitting, Ted, no room for bombs. In it's own way, quite revealing, figure wise. In my neighborhood, I've seen young Muslim mothers in full burkha---they wear tons of eye makeup, and the burkhas are very tight. Makes the whole business of covering up peculiar. Some have started adorning the black garment with expensive jewels.

....no room for bombs.....very form fitting.....the burkhas are very tight.....

In my understanding Annie is saying the opposite of what you are implying she said.
AnneBoleyn

Burkhini?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Momus;1500818 wrote: I am responding in essence to a comment that stated in part ' no room for bombs '. Something which is offensive, irresponsible and inaccurate in a manner that denotes stereotyping the Muslim faith.

Was just trying to soothe any fears Ted might have. I was not suggesting anything negative about Muslim women, sorry you read that into my comment. It certainly was not on my mind. You will just have to take my word for that, momus.
Momus

Burkhini?

Post by Momus »

AnneBoleyn;1500855 wrote: Was just trying to soothe any fears Ted might have. I was not suggesting anything negative about Muslim women, sorry you read that into my comment. It certainly was not on my mind. You will just have to take my word for that, momus. I didn't read anything into your comment. I reacted to ' no room for bombs '. No harm done.
Saint_

Burkhini?

Post by Saint_ »

Why is there no room for boobs?
Bruv

Burkhini?

Post by Bruv »

Saint_;1500864 wrote: Why is there no room for boobs?

Every class has one...................and today it is Saint.....sit down that boy.
gmc

Burkhini?

Post by gmc »

Saint_;1500864 wrote: Why is there no room for boobs?

Would that be a shaped charge?
Ted

Burkhini?

Post by Ted »

I was just raising issues that others have talked about. Personally I simply don't know and thus am not too concerned.
Saint_

Burkhini?

Post by Saint_ »

gmc;1500873 wrote: Would that be a shaped charge?

:yh_rotfl
magentaflame

Burkhini?

Post by magentaflame »

Interesting you all ignored my post.

So if we are telling women to strip down on the beach do we tell life savers they have to strip down too?
Ted

Burkhini?

Post by Ted »

Certainly and interesting thought. LOL
magentaflame

Burkhini?

Post by magentaflame »

Well id love to see that happen here. The cancer council would go nuts!
Ted

Burkhini?

Post by Ted »

At some European beaches.
Guppers

Burkhini?

Post by Guppers »

I don't care what people wear to sunbathe per say..but I do find offense to the religion and the harsh abusive behavior of the people that seem to favor these things. Not all, I am sure..and because of the views and ways connected to the wearing of the burkhini...id like to see it banned in America . That's just my opinion.
Ted

Burkhini?

Post by Ted »

If someone chooses of her own free will to wear the burkini It is none of m y business..
AnneBoleyn

Burkhini?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Guppers;1503456 wrote: I don't care what people wear to sunbathe per say..but I do find offense to the religion and the harsh abusive behavior of the people that seem to favor these things. Not all, I am sure..and because of the views and ways connected to the wearing of the burkhini...id like to see it banned in America . That's just my opinion.

Backwards point of view, typical of a non-facts Trump voter. Oh, but wait, your job is done, you won't see this anyway.
AnneBoleyn

Burkhini?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

How about this one, conveniently pushed away from 3 pages of "New Posts"???
Guppers

Burkhini?

Post by Guppers »

AnneBoleyn;1503639 wrote: Backwards point of view, typical of a non-facts Trump voter. Oh, but wait, your job is done, you won't see this anyway.
That is not nice. Just because I have an opinion different from yours does not deserve insults.
Guppers

Burkhini?

Post by Guppers »

Ted;1503626 wrote: If someone chooses of her own free will to wear the burkini It is none of m y business..

I agree!
AnneBoleyn

Burkhini?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Guppers;1503720 wrote: That is not nice. Just because I have an opinion different from yours does not deserve insults.

Was actually reacting to "my job is done." I'm very glad to see you back responding. It is reality that of course people have different opinions. But banned? Don't you think that is a bit extreme? In my neighborhood, at local beaches, there are many Orthodox Jewish women. They go swimming in ankle length dresses, long sleeves, head coverings. Do I like it? I don't think it matters. A while back, Patsy objected to obese women in bikinis when she visited Hawaii. That caused an outrage, ask her!!!!!!! Where I live, most people are Russian immigrants. Many of them are Peasant Obese & wear bikinis. Do I like it? I don't think it matters. What I objected to with your comment was it's Muslim base. Do you feel the same way about the Orthodox Jewish women I described? It's basically the same outfit & the First Amendment provides for them to express their religions. Do I like it? I don't think it matters. We don't ban stuff like that in America -- it is UNconstitutional. It does worry me that Trumpeteers, many of them, rely more on emotion than on facts like that.

I am sorry to have insulted you. Please accept my apology.

Return to “Travel Vacation”