My life with Walt

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
minks

My life with Walt

Post by minks »

If anyone has seen the Clint Eastwood movie Grand Torino you will know exactly who I am referring to.

The husband has become the perfect "Walt" cranky to the power of 10:-5

He has been off work and on disability since February recovering from knee surgery. He gets more and more cranky as time goes on. November can not come fast enough for us all.

I feel he takes great pleasure in being miserable and thinking everything and everyone should to everything his way and that should be the end of story.

BUT.... he refuses to address his troubles directly, he just likes to bitch to me about how people are not doing things his way. :-5 He is making my son in law a stress case, my daughter is like me, she just ignores him.

The fun part of all this, the husband is realizing that when I make suggestions on how to handle certain crisis`s I generally am right. For me it`s not a matter of control, or who is right or who is wrong, it`s about what works to make ones self happiest.

I am 99.99 percent certain this is a direct result of being laid up so long. I can`t wait for him to get back to work and his old self again.

Thanks I just had to vent.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Patsy Warnick

My life with Walt

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Minks

It's good to vent

My husband is recovering from a knee replacement - so I can relate.

My hubby doesn't complain or get cranky - he's frustrated with the limitations.

My hubby is retired so I'm the one cranky:yh_rotfl

Good luck

Patsy
along-for-the-ride

My life with Walt

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Hubby has also been retired for a year now. Three of the main things a retired person needs is sense of purpose, a connection with the outside world and support from the spouse. As long as he has things to do and still has contact with his buddies, he is fine. In those moments when he is alone and has nothing to do, he focuses on himself; his aches and pains and any disappointments he may have. I'm still working and I also had to go through some adjustments, especially since Hubby worked at the same place as I do. Being apart during the day was an adjustment, but when I come home I make sure to fill him in as to what's going on at work and listen to him about his day. We also make time to drink coffee and watch the news together before I get ready for work. In the not so distant future, I will be retiring as well; I've worked for the same company for 25 years now. I love my Hubby very much, but being together 24/7 will be a big adjustment. This will certainly be a new chapter in our lives.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
ZAP

My life with Walt

Post by ZAP »

When I was with my second ex-husband he jumped off a haystack and broke his ankle. He was very upset with the fact that he couldn't be as active as he was before his dumb stunt. He became very cranky when I wasn't doing things to his liking or quite fast enough to suit him. He would swing his cane at me! My advice to you: If he has a cane, watch out and learn to dodge!
G#Gill

My life with Walt

Post by G#Gill »

The worst thing for my hubby was he had to give up running marathons. His doctor told him that if he didn't stop pounding his knees every time he put foot to ground while running, he would find his knees would collapse or, at best, become arthritic. So he gave up running, and although he took to his cycle again, he still got terribly frustrated not being able to go on his daily run of anything from 5 to 15 miles. 'They' did say that running can become addictive, and I certainly can vouch for that ! His niggling grumpiness ( caused by withdrawal symptoms from stopping running) took quite a while to ease off despite him cycling every other day. We are both retired and have been for some years now - poor owd dodderin' fogies :yh_rotfl

We both have hobbies, and my hubby busies himself in the garden and does the shopping (he's better at it than I am - I tend to spend too much :wah: ), he also takes our dog for walks three times a day, and he does a lot of reading and keeping in touch with old friends through letter writing.

Yes, I'm bound to agree that the more hubby is occupied with one thing or another, the less time he has to dwell on any physical problems he may have, and the happier he will be in himself. Time will also pass quicker so that any incapacity will recover sooner ! ;)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

My life with Walt

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1499048 wrote: When I was with my second ex-husband he jumped off a haystack and broke his ankle. He was very upset with the fact that he couldn't be as active as he was before his dumb stunt. He became very cranky when I wasn't doing things to his liking or quite fast enough to suit him. He would swing his cane at me! My advice to you: If he has a cane, watch out and learn to dodge!

Ah ! Now we know how you managed to keep your figure trim - with all the extra exercise with twists and turns and ducking under swinging walking canes ! ;) :wah:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
minks

My life with Walt

Post by minks »

thanks all :)

I am so glad my husband is only laid up tentatively, he has a pending gym membership, since February but sadly his Doctor will only let him do "Doctors Orders" physio for now, due to the fact this was a work place injury everyone is under the eye of the compensation board. So I have been using my gym membership and I am certain husband is unhappy that he can not join me as this was our original plan.

He is not a hobby guy, our garden is not his domain, but then again he has a bad knee so gardening is out.

I know he is missing both the bicycle, and the motorbike and our walks, but I have to be patient as this is on the wind down, and he is improving. It however scares me when it comes to retirement age, I hope we do not become my parents, my mom is out at her classes and doing things and my dad stays home and gets old.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”