Being connected

spot

Being connected

Post by spot »

Mark Zuckerbeg masks Mac webcam and microphone - BBC News

So did I, the week I put my iMac onto my desk. One sticky-felt pad over each since I don't have Mr Zuckerberg's resources to make an entire screen surround like his.

People have domestic connections which can be accessed from anywhere in the world, and they leed to cameras and microphones on landline phones, on smartphones, on tablets, on computers, all of which can be turned on and off without lighting up lights or making any indication they're live. They're constructed that way, the only thing that turns on the warning lights (such as they are) is the default programs people use. The reason people assume they're not connected to outsiders is sheer laziness, because outsiders certainly aren't using the default programs. Thick felt padding and leave the phone on the hall table when you arrive home, that's the answer.

It would be paranoia were it not so simple to eavesdrop with these things. Given how simple it is to eavesdrop with these things, it's not. It's common sense.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Being connected

Post by LarsMac »

Since I tend to get online right after I shower, I am pretty sure that whoever might be eavesdropping on me has already masked my camera for me.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Being connected

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1497408 wrote: Mark Zuckerbeg masks Mac webcam and microphone - BBC News

It would be paranoia were it not so simple to eavesdrop with these things. Given how simple it is to eavesdrop with these things, it's not. It's common sense.

I used to do that too. Especially since in my past there was much of interest to evesdroppers. But then I realized...I don't say or do anything even remotely interesting or that could somehow be used against me nowadays. I'm a completely generic and unremarkable school teacher. (sigh)

Just call me Charlie Brown
Bruv

Being connected

Post by Bruv »

Unless you were in a position of power or influence, why would anyone want to ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

Being connected

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1497442 wrote: Unless you were in a position of power or influence, why would anyone want to ?

I don't care why - I wouldn't want it happening whatever the reason.
Wandrin

Being connected

Post by Wandrin »

A friend covers the camera and microphone on his computer and also the camera on his tv set. I haven't covered mine because I use an app that reminds me to get up and move around if it sees me sitting for too long.
LarsMac

Being connected

Post by LarsMac »

Wandrin;1497466 wrote: A friend covers the camera and microphone on his computer and also the camera on his tv set. I haven't covered mine because I use an app that reminds me to get up and move around if it sees me sitting for too long.

I have an app for that, too. Pittstop.

She sees that I don't sit still too long.

My laptop is in a docking station, folded down, and my Monitor has no camera. Also I use a headset for sound.

Only Pitstop can see me when at my PC
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Being connected

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1497472 wrote: I have an app for that, too. Pittstop.

She sees that I don't sit still too long.

My laptop is in a docking station, folded down, and my Monitor has no camera. Also I use a headset for sound.

Only Pitstop can see me when at my PC

Your "app" looks very effective. :)

Return to “Computers Internet”