Symptoms of dementia

Issues relating specifically to women's health.
dancersletter

Symptoms of dementia

Post by dancersletter »

I live along with my mom and 2 children. My mom's sister was detected of dementia about 6 months before and now she lives in a nursing home, Prestige care at Alaska. I have been noticing certain changes in my mom's behavior like problem with communication and language. This doesn't happen always. She often forgets where things are kept. I was wondering if these were the initial symptoms of dementia. Is this hereditary?
spot

Symptoms of dementia

Post by spot »

The risk factors for dementia are discussed at Alzheimer's & Dementia Risk Factors and include family history.

The major risk factor is age. Your mother might be under 40 or approaching 100, we can't guess.

Presumably you know all about State Takes Control of Nursing Facility, Citing Repeated Violations
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Mark Aspam

Symptoms of dementia

Post by Mark Aspam »

dancersletter;1496243 wrote: I live along with my mom and 2 children. My mom's sister was detected of dementia about 6 months before and now she lives in a nursing home, Prestige care at Alaska. I have been noticing certain changes in my mom's behavior like problem with communication and language. This doesn't happen always. She often forgets where things are kept. I was wondering if these were the initial symptoms of dementia. Is this hereditary?dan, there's an old saying among oldtimers like myself:

If you can't remember where you put your car keys, that's no big deal.

If you can't remember what your car keys are for, that's a problem.

And there are similar sayings involving certain bodily organs and orifices that I am not going to repeat here.

The fact is, people either die young or get old. It's been that way for a long time, but today, thanks to modern medicine. people generally live longer than, say, a few centuries ago.

My advice is to just enjoy your life and let nature take its course. Religion is optional.
FourPart

Symptoms of dementia

Post by FourPart »

The nature of my work in Care means I deal a great deal with Dementia every day. I never ceases to amaze me how someone can forget who you are from one minute to the next, but can remember in fine detail what happened 50 years ago - often believing that it only happened yesterday. One of the biggest problems this time of year is wondering why they've not had their breakfast when they're due for their Bed call.

Return to “Women's Health”