Strength through Joy

spot

Strength through Joy

Post by spot »

I apologize for the thread title, it's in poor taste. It's meant to evoke regimented forced leisure activity with health overtones.

I have, today, for the first time, joined a gym.

The gym's brand motto is "Strength & Fitness", so they have pretty much the same approach as the thread title suggests.

I shall report back. I've been especially requested not to post photos.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Strength through Joy

Post by LarsMac »

Last time I joined a Gym, about a week into the program, they refunded double my registration fee, and gave me a discount card for one of their competitors.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Strength through Joy

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1495661 wrote: Last time I joined a Gym, about a week into the program, they refunded double my registration fee, and gave me a discount card for one of their competitors.

I please no..................one can only hope the gym in question keeps our esteemed Spot busy, and so, away from any BBC articles that he might reed (For heavens sake)
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
ZAP

Strength through Joy

Post by ZAP »

spot;1495657 wrote: I apologize for the thread title, it's in poor taste. It's meant to evoke regimented forced leisure activity with health overtones.

I have, today, for the first time, joined a gym.

The gym's brand motto is "Strength & Fitness", so they have pretty much the same approach as the thread title suggests.

I shall report back. I've been especially requested not to post photos.

Good for you! I used to work in a gym, European Health Spa--one of the largest in the country. I worked at 4 of the 5 in the Pittsburgh area and helped to open this one in Scarsdale, shown in the link. It was exactly like the one in Monroeville where I worked primarily, minus the live Bengal tiger, Brutus.

Hudson Valley Ruins: European Health Spa
spot

Strength through Joy

Post by spot »

ZAP;1495663 wrote: Good for you! I used to work in a gym, European Health Spa--one of the largest in the country. I worked at 4 of the 5 in the Pittsburgh area and helped to open this one in Scarsdale, shown in the link.

Then you may advise me on how to conduct myself.

I have always thought the gymnasium was a place where one engaged in philosophical discussion, interspersed with being oiled and massaged prior to intense bouts of naked wrestling.

How this assists with weight loss I'm not sure but I'm prepared to give it a go.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AnneBoleyn

Strength through Joy

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot;1495665 wrote:

I have always thought the gymnasium was a place where one engaged in philosophical discussion, interspersed with being oiled and massaged prior to intense bouts of naked wrestling.

spot, I think you need a wife.
ZAP

Strength through Joy

Post by ZAP »

spot;1495665 wrote: Then you may advise me on how to conduct myself.

How this assists with weight loss I'm not sure but I'm prepared to give it a go.

I'm not sure how those bouts of naked wrestling could assist in philosophical thinking but hey! give it a try and if it works, let me know. :wah: I do remember parties with our instructresses and instructors and some of the gals got thrown into the pools, oh but that was with their clothes on.
spot

Strength through Joy

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn;1495667 wrote: spot, I think you need a wife.

I shall not call for volunteers for fear of inundation.
LarsMac

Strength through Joy

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1495665 wrote: Then you may advise me on how to conduct myself.

I never met any philosophical types in a Gym. The closest to a philosophical discussion I ever witnessed in a gym was a discussion on the finer points of Steroid consumption, and the advantages of Elliptical over the Treadmill.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Strength through Joy

Post by ZAP »

LarsMac;1495674 wrote: I never met any philosophical types in a Gym. The closest to a philosophical discussion I ever witnessed in a gym was a discussion on the finer points of Steroid consumption, and the advantages of Elliptical over the Treadmill.

Elliptical sounds sort of philosophical. :thinking:
Bored_Wombat

Strength through Joy

Post by Bored_Wombat »

The etymology of gym is interesting.

from Greek gymnasion "public place where athletic exercises are practiced; gymnastics school", literally "to train naked", from gymnos "naked".
ZAP

Strength through Joy

Post by ZAP »

Bored_Wombat;1495680 wrote: The etymology of gym is interesting.

from Greek gymnasion "public place where athletic exercises are practiced; gymnastics school", literally "to train naked", from gymnos "naked".

Brilliant!!
Snowfire

Strength through Joy

Post by Snowfire »

I hear spandex and leggings are making a comeback. I'd invest in some if I were you along with a headband and a Dirty Dancing CD
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Strength through Joy

Post by Bruv »

If it was like this I would be down there quick enough..........

I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Strength through Joy

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1495698 wrote: I hear spandex and leggings are making a comeback. I'd invest in some if I were you along with a headband and a Dirty Dancing CD

The music in there was very confusing. I'd expected Schubert or Liszt.

There's a sunbed option, and lotions on sale with different colouring potential. I quite liked the Hot Totty shade. I may explore that avenue once I'm more fit.

I spent a half hour being introduced to the equipment. I am to return on Friday for more groundwork after which I shall report further.
Snowfire

Strength through Joy

Post by Snowfire »

Avoid the tanning option. It makes you smell like biscuits.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Strength through Joy

Post by LarsMac »

My niece is very into this working out stuff. She suggests the title of this thread should be corrected to "Joy through Strength"

She can be seen showing off quite a bit on Facebook.

I shall strive to maintain the more sedentary lifestyle that I have adopted.
- DH Lawrence
minks

Strength through Joy

Post by minks »

Spot,

How is the gym going? Good for you and keep it up, your body will thank you.

I too joined a gym, back in February.

I am really liking it, I have not lost weight, that was not my goal, but am doing a body transformation, and toning and strengthening.

Have you found workouts you like? Hate? Got any success stories to share? Brag about?

Do share, it's encouraging to share with others who totally get it.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”