Dementia, Fluoridation and Aluminium - All connected ?

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I have C & P'd this article, which I found yesterday, while 'surfing the net' With many thanks to Mario D, Garret Ph.D., San Diego State University.

IS DEMENTIA CAUSED BY ALUMINUM THROUGH FLUORIDATION?

Source: Psychology Today | July 15th, 2014 | By Mario Garrett, PhD

The messy science of fluoridation and its impact on older adults

In gerontology there are many divisive issues. Surprisingly, fluoridation is one of them. When more than a quarter of older adults do not have their teeth—in some parts of the country like the fluoridated states of Kentucky and West Virginia four out of ten older adults do not have their own teeth—but when they are still made to drink water that has been fluoridated, there is a clear disregard for older adult health.

There are many reasons for fluoridation. However, scientific studies are inconclusive, of poor quality, and in all cases disregard older adults—especially those without teeth. In addition, there is the evangelical fervor from both sides of the argument—public health versus personal choice—which muddy an already complex scientific issue.

The link between fluoridation and ill health is not a direct one but involves the uptake of a known nerve toxic aluminum. Correlational studies linking aluminum with Alzheimer’s disease have been published since 1965. Half a century ago injecting aluminum in rat brains, three independent studies produced the tangle-like structures that characterize Alzheimer’s disease. Subsequently numerous international studies have found more Alzheimer’s disease in areas with high aluminum levels in drinking water.

In 2011, the Japanese researchers Masahiro Kawahara and Midori Kato-Negishi made a forceful argument between aluminum and Alzheimer’s disease. After decades of attempts to discredit this link, the authors point to strong evidence that aluminum as a culprit in forming the amyloid plaques in the brain. This and other studies continue to support the clinical studies done in rats that identify aluminum as toxic for the brain. The only problem was that aluminum does not naturally enter the brain.

There is a barrier between the body and the brain that stops metals reaching the brain. In 2013 Akinrinade ID and his colleagues from Bingham University in Nigeria, showed that the relationship between fluoride and aluminum is important in escaping this barrier. Fluoride combines with aluminum to form aluminum fluoride, which is then absorbed by the body where it eventually combines with oxygen to form aluminum oxide or alumina. Alumina is the compound of aluminum that is found in the brains of Alzheimer’s disease.

Fluorine attaches to aluminum and influences its absorption. Li Fucheng and his colleagues from Beijing, China, described high incidences of osteoporosis, osteomalacia, spontaneous bone fractures and dementia in villages in Guizhou Province, China where they were eating maize which had been baked in fires of coal mixed with kaoline. Kaoline contains aluminum and fluorides. These diseases are very similar to those occurring in European dialysis patients, unwittingly treated with water and gels containing aluminum.

The implications of this fluoride-aluminum relationship to Alzheimer’s disease are not linear. The solubility of aluminum and probably the ease with which it is absorbed varies markedly with the high acidity and alkalinity of water. In general, however, aluminum is most soluble in acidic water, especially if it contains fluorides

The public health argument for fluoridation has never been made for older adults. Such institutional ageism is bad science and much worse this is bad public health.

Mario Garrett, Ph.D., is a professor at the school of social work, San Diego State University.

© USA Copyrighted 2014 Mario D. Garrett

There was an incident in Cornwall in the 1988 when the mains water supply was accidentally overdosed with aluminium (my brother was on holiday there at the time). I found out through researching, that aluminium is added to our mains drinking water, only as a 'brightener' to make the water look a little more inviting ! So the know-it-all 'powers that be' are inadvertently destroying our brains !

A year or so after this Cornwall incident, there was a large increase in reports of Alzheimers disease in the locality of the aluminium overdose ! Strange ! Also, since that incident, there have been an abnormal number of people being affected by Alzheimers ! My brother, a few years ago developed a cancer (since sorted) which may or may not have anything to do with the Cornwall incident, but it does make you think.

Camelford water poisoning: timeline | UK news | The Guardian
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

I regard Psychology Today as a reputable source; still, the suggestion that fluoridation should be discontinued because old geezers and geezerettes like my wife and myself don't have teeth is borderline ridiculous.

Anyone, elderly or otherwise, who doesn't wish to drink fluoridated water can buy bottled water, it's not very expensive.

I'm 75. When I was a kid, visits to the dentist 2 or 3 times a year were the norm, and I would almost ALWAYS have cavities, in spite of what I considered good overall dental hygiene. The cavs were always treated using the now outmoded mechanical drills, not much fun for a kid.

Most kids today don't have that problem (ours sure didn't) due to fluoridation. When it was introduced, there were, as might be expected, all manner of crackpot rantings (it's a communist plot etc.), each one screwier than the previous. Hopefully such nonsense will not be revived.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, it seems that Dr Garrett is using Bad Science to draw his conclusions.

It is probably worth studying the actual science of the notion, but in the article, he is just reaching for a conclusion, without any real evidence. That happens way too often in today's world.

If he is not careful, he could join Dr Wakefield in the annals of Bad Science.

And Psychology Today is just another media outlet. They will publish items just to get that sale.

debunked-fluoride-and-alzheimers

2016-facts-and-figures.pdf
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

It is basically aluminium that is the problem, that causes problems to human brains. Fluoride is just something which makes it easier for aluminium to break through the protective barrier to the brain, it would seem. Heaven knows why they have to use aluminium cosmetically in water !!!!

I always thought it was illegal to force medication onto the public - this is what is happening when fluoride is added to our mains water, we were never offered a choice! I believe that it is sufficient to have our toothpaste with fluoride in it. My brother was a research scientist for the government and he always said that not enough fluoride is added to our water to be of any real benefit, and it is not possible to administer a regularly stable quantity anyway. He said that in order to have fluoride effective in the water, quantities have to be increased a lot, and this could also prove toxic to human beings. We should be allowed the choice. What else will be added to our water without our say so ? Bromide ? To sedate sexual activity ? Thus reducing population ? Makes you wonder.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

G#Gill;1495146 wrote: It is basically aluminium that is the problem, that causes problems to human brains. Fluoride is just something which makes it easier for aluminium to break through the protective barrier to the brain, it would seem. Heaven knows why they have to use aluminium cosmetically in water !!!!

I always thought it was illegal to force medication onto the public - this is what is happening when fluoride is added to our mains water, we were never offered a choice! I believe that it is sufficient to have our toothpaste with fluoride in it. My brother was a research scientist for the government and he always said that not enough fluoride is added to our water to be of any real benefit, and it is not possible to administer a regularly stable quantity anyway. He said that in order to have fluoride effective in the water, quantities have to be increased a lot, and this could also prove toxic to human beings. We should be allowed the choice. What else will be added to our water without our say so ? Bromide ? To sedate sexual activity ? Thus reducing population ? Makes you wonder.G, please send your complaints to your local, state, and federal officials and let us know what sort of response you receive.
gmc

Post by gmc »

What is it about some people that they get all worked up about imaginery conmspiracies instead of the very real problems and environmental issues round about them.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

When I was young, I lived in one of the first cities to flouridate. I had perfect teeth. Then I moved to another city. Within 5 years, every tooth I had had a filling. Coincidence? Did I just stop taking care of my teeth? Was it just getting older that did it?

I don't know. But it sure pisses me off now.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Mark Aspam;1495152 wrote: G, please send your complaints to your local, state, and federal officials and let us know what sort of response you receive.

I doubt very much if I would even get a reply, let alone repeat what they say to me !
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Bromide to sedate sexual activity . . . hmm. That caused me to look it up;

Wiki says: " The anticonvulsant properties of potassium bromide were first noted by Sir Charles Locock at a meeting of the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society in 1857. Bromide can be regarded as the first effective medication for epilepsy. At the time, it was commonly thought that epilepsy was caused by masturbation.[3] Locock noted that bromide calmed sexual excitement and thought this was responsible for his success in treating seizures. In the latter half of the 19th century, potassium bromide was used for the calming of seizure and nervous disorders on an enormous scale, with the use by single hospitals being as much as several tons a year (the dose for a given person being a few grams per day
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

gmc;1495157 wrote: What is it about some people that they get all worked up about imaginery conmspiracies instead of the very real problems and environmental issues round about them.

I do hope, gmc, that you are not getting at me ! In case you are, I would re-iterate that there seems to be a connection between aluminium and the increase in dementia. I believe studies are continuing. It does seem rather pointed that dementia has been on the increase more or less from the time aluminium was being added to our drinking water. Did you not read the report about the Cornwall incident ? I am not 'getting all worked up' as you so glibley put it. I am concerned that the general public seem incapable of tying in the 'cause' and 'effect' of the adding of aluminium to our precious essential water ! Seems that to some folk this is really unimportant and not worth worrying about ! I would have thought, gmc, that this was a very real problem, but maybe you don't agree. :(
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I remember many years back someone made a connection to Aluminum and Dementia, but it never passed the actual testing phase. there was never any actual data to prove a correlation.

So to extrapolate any further presumptions from that is kind of a waste of time.

There are, as GMC points out, a lot of other things worth spending more time worrying over.

Just to be sure, I spent about an hour looking up all the references that I could related to aluminum contamination in water and food.

I'll be happy to share what I found if you really want to dig through it all. There is simply very little to fret over.
- DH Lawrence
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

G#Gill;1495171 wrote: I doubt very much if I would even get a reply, let alone repeat what they say to me !You're probably right. Why do you think that is? A vast conspiracy? Or perhaps because your theories have no merit?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

As usual the Conspiracists overlook the most obvious reasons for the increase in Dementia. People are living longer, but Dementia continues to kick in at about the same sort of age range. This means that there is a much higher percentage of the population who have Dementia.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

FourPart;1495336 wrote: As usual the Conspiracists overlook the most obvious reasons for the increase in Dementia. People are living longer, but Dementia continues to kick in at about the same sort of age range. This means that there is a much higher percentage of the population who have Dementia.Well, I'm 75 and it hasn't affected me. Knock on wood!

Oops, gotta go, somebody's at the door.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Isn't that the point? Previously, the "Three Score Years & Ten" was considered to be "A Good Innings", and if a few began to go "Ga-Ga" in their final years, that was to be expected. People reaching the age of 100 used to be regarded a rarity, and not only would warrant a telegram from the Queen, but would have been brought to her personal attention. These days you have to apply to Buckingham Palace for a Birthday Card, which is just a routine form release dealt with by the Admin dept.

Dementia, Senility, or whatever you choose to call it has always been there in the same proportional amounts of people within certain age brackets. It is absolutely nothing to do with anything being put in the water.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

There are far too many ostriches on this site. :-5 As regards age and dementia, seems very odd that there are more and more people in their 50s and 60s who are succumbing to this dreadful disease. I am amazed at how many of you cannot consider that there could be a connection between aluminium in our drinking water and the considerable number of dementia sufferers. It's absolute bollox that the apparent increase in dementia sufferers is only noticeable now because people are living longer !!! And I thought you lot were intelligent and questioning ! Nah you prefer to believe what you are told by certain so-called authoritative people without question. :-5

Sorry but I cannot continue to argue with such closed minds. I think there is no point in keeping this thread open any longer. Seems I'm a single voice in the multitude. Oh well, the story of my life maybe.

By the way I hope Mark Aspam managed to find his way to the door so he could see that there was nobody there.

I trust that you all have had a good laugh at my expense. Do go and enjoy the joke.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Sorry that you are having such a hard time with this, Gilly.

I am certainly not closed minded about it. I have been exploring the whole dementia thing quite a bit.

There are actually several different aspects of age-related dementia. It is no simple issue.

One of my grandmothers was a sufferer of Alzheimer's Disease. She began showing symptoms in her late 50s. by the time she was 70, she was very far along, and she lived to be 85. the last tens years, she was little more than a shell of he former self.

Other age-related dementia is far different that AD. It can be brought on by a number of things. There are Trauma induced cases of dementia. and simple old age memory loss.

I knew a professor at one of the local colleges, who was brilliant. he was in his mid-70s and still lecturing, and taking field trips with his students, spending holidays travelling around the world, hiking mountain trails, White-water rafting, and all sorts of things.

He was in a car crash, and broke his leg. Somehow, he picked up a MRSA infection after the surgery to fix the leg. After the MRSA was cured, he never quite recovered. He quickly lost memory and soon could no longer recognize his wife, or children. He could no longer read, or even retain memories of what he just had fro lunch.

They never found a medical reason for his condition. He lived on for nearly ten years.

Back in the eighties, they first tried to associate Aluminum with Alzheimer's Disease. It never produced any meaningful data.

Like Autism, people have been trying to make reason out of it all for decades now. And all sorts of people have come up with junk science to try and lay the blame somewhere tangible.

Digging into the aluminum in the water supply, I found a number of reasons why trace amounts of aluminum are added to water, and most have nothing to do with it having a sparkle to it.

It is actually a valid part of the purification process.

However there is nothing but circumstantial, anecdotal evidence to even begin to suggest that there is a correlation between aluminum or Fluoride and any type of age-related dementia.

Unless some real evidence comes along, I think we have plenty of other tangible problems to worry about.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Health Wellness”