OpenBSD

spot

OpenBSD

Post by spot »

I noticed OpenBSD 5.9 was released last month and I've a couple of ex-Vista laptops I needed to configure with adequate encryption at rest. It must be five years since I checked how it installed so I did it a couple of times this morning. Very bare and spartan, the initial configure, but adding what's wanted is wonderfully simple.

Rather against my expectations the whole process was simpler than Slackware. I typed less and ended up with a laptop I felt quite pleased with. Slackware 14.2 is due out next month. Meanwhile I'll put some data onto these laptops and give them a proper test drive.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

OpenBSD

Post by gmc »

I've got ubuntu installed on an old laptop. Quite fancy trying it on a desktop - laptops irritate me they alwats seem so slow to do anything. Have a new winddows ten desktop still under warranty so I don't want to muck about with it. Have you ever built your own desktop? It's something i quite fancy trying.
spot

OpenBSD

Post by spot »

Back in the mid 80s home-building gave a significant price reduction as well as allowing personal preference to the fore. My second PC had a flip-top case which started out with a 5MHz 8086 640KB machine and 10MB RLL hard drive and had several motherboard transplants until it ended up as a 33MHz 386 4MB with a 32MB Miniscribe disk and a Hercules graphics card to a very clear green monochrome monitor. I probably ran 4DOS on that final configuration, it certainly never saw any Windows variant. It must have had at least GEM at some stage because I ran Ventura for desktop publishing.

I'm not sure when I last built a desktop computer. Around 2005 I switched to laptop-only simply because of the weight and noise. Several I bought with broken screens because I tended to take the lids off completely, I preferred using a full size monitor and a laptop body. The laptop screen would have just got in the way.

I definitely built a couple more silenced desktops for other people after that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

OpenBSD

Post by Snowfire »

The first PC I ever owned was built for me back in 2001 and saved me a considerable amount of money. 40gb hard drive and 250kbs memory. My only reason at that time was to burn a cd or two of music of my choosing and occasional downloading. Surfing the net to any extent wasn't much of a consideration at that time.

It was slow. It didn't like doing two things simultaneously and would freeze or crash on occasions but it served me well. It was my very first venture into the computer world.

Now look at me !

Still as clueless as I was then
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
gmc

OpenBSD

Post by gmc »

I used to work from home and had a paperless office and scanned everything so there was always a need for a fairly high performance machine that would scan and let me continue working on line etc without grinding to a halt. I just find laptops irritating although I do have one for when I'm away. Still can't see the pint of tablets except as a useful tool when away from home with no access to a computer and I'm fed up lending my mobile to people with smartphones that have flattened the battery doing evrything else except actually call someone on it.
Bruv

OpenBSD

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1495294 wrote: I've got ubuntu installed on an old laptop. Quite fancy trying it on a desktop - laptops irritate me they alwats seem so slow to do anything. Have a new winddows ten desktop still under warranty so I don't want to muck about with it. Have you ever built your own desktop? It's something i quite fancy trying.

I am still next to useless, although others think I am a PC Guru, didn't understand a single word of what Spot just said.

I cobbled together a barebones pc a couple of years ago, you buy the basics and add compatible Hard drive and Optical drives as you want. They come without operating system so ideal for loading with Ubuntu or several flavours of Open source at the same time. Take a look HERE
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Return to “Computers Internet”