Celebrity injunctions?????

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It seems that if you live in Scotland or America the shenanigans of a celebrity couple who apparently have a highly charged sex life are available to the general public, whereas in England the media are running scared of an injunction.

I don't really care who it is, but why is the truth rationed depending on where you live ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1494537 wrote: It seems that if you live in Scotland or America the shenanigans of a celebrity couple who apparently have a highly charged sex life are available to the general public, whereas in England the media are running scared of an injunction.

I don't really care who it is, but why is the truth rationed depending on where you live ?

The question is more "why are the press in some areas allowed to invade people's privacy"?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1494538 wrote: The question is more "why are the press in some areas allowed to invade people's privacy"?

The working theory in the Americas, seems to be that celebrities no longer have a right to privacy. "Freedom of the Press" trumps "Right to Privacy"

I really wouldn't mind if that changed. I couldn't care less what most of those people do, or think, or say.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1494538 wrote: The question is more "why are the press in some areas allowed to invade people's privacy"?

The question to me is why advanced nation's ideas of right and wrong regarding such things are so different ?

And more to the point, with the advent of the world wide web, what is the point of nation wide injunctions anyway ?
gmc

Post by gmc »

Probably says more abut judges who don't grasp that with the internet you can read and watch american news media on line if you want to and thinks twitter is what birds do and goodness knows what he makes of facebook. The printed edition of the scottish sunday mail apparently carried the story but it's not on line cos it can be read in england.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1494540 wrote: The working theory in the Americas, seems to be that celebrities no longer have a right to privacy. "Freedom of the Press" trumps "Right to Privacy"

I really wouldn't mind if that changed. I couldn't care less what most of those people do, or think, or say.

Celebrity or not, they are people - unless there is over-riding "public interest" (which in not just that the public are interested) then they have a right to privacy.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1494542 wrote: The question to me is why advanced nation's ideas of right and wrong regarding such things are so different ?

And more to the point, with the advent of the world wide web, what is the point of nation wide injunctions anyway ?

The answer to that is world government :-)
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I was told who the recipient of the injunction was, this morning. Once the celebrities name was freely available in the Scottish press, it was a matter of minutes before it was flashed across the net.

No one I've spoken too, gives a toss what's gone on between consenting adults, however many are involved
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1494547 wrote: Celebrity or not, they are people - unless there is over-riding "public interest" (which in not just that the public are interested) then they have a right to privacy.

Privacy has become a myth, it seems.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The age old question is, though, where do you draw the boundaries between what is in the Public Interest & what is Invasion of Privacy? The Panama Papers business is, of course, an Invasion of Privacy, as they were details attained by subterfuge. However, the information contained within was definitely in the Public Interest.

That Prince Harry took part in a private Fancy Dress party dressed in a Nazi uniform I would see as being an invasion of Privacy, despite his being heir to the throne (somewhere along the line). If, on the other hand, it had been a genuine Nazi gathering, that would have been a different matter.

Personally I reckon that Celebrities only take out injunctions in order to gain publicity, knowing full well that the 'protected' information will inevitably get leaked out (more than likely by themselves / publicity agents), and in so doing generating even more publicity for them.

All in all it's a sad reflection of why anyone should really be interested in the first place. Shock horror - Celebrity 'A' had sex with Celebrity 'B' ... So what?
spot

Post by spot »

If the events leading to this injunction did involve, as I'm reliably informed, kiss and tell bed-romping with Vera Lynn and Valerie Singleton, then I for one look forward to clips on YouTube. Does the Sunday People not invent this sort of story any longer?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Vera Lynn and Valerie Singleton ?

You should get out more.
patebon

Post by patebon »

has been bookmark, this seems like a very interesting thread
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Sun on Sunday lawyers argue celebrity injunction should be lifted - BBC News

So, because it's been reported in jurisdictions where the injunction does not hold, the injunction should be lifted in the area where the celebrity lives?

Strange logic :-(
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Is patebon a celebrity and has he an injunction ?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bryn Mawr;1494665 wrote: Sun on Sunday lawyers argue celebrity injunction should be lifted - BBC News

So, because it's been reported in jurisdictions where the injunction does not hold, the injunction should be lifted in the area where the celebrity lives?

Strange logic :-(

And lo, as the Sun desires, the Sun gets :-

Celebrity injunction 'should be lifted', Court of Appeal rules - BBC News
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bryn Mawr;1494715 wrote: And lo, as the Sun desires, the Sun gets :-

Celebrity injunction 'should be lifted', Court of Appeal rules - BBC News

They're right, though. If it's been published abroad & online, doesn't it seem somewhat idiotic that they should be banned from publishing it here. Isn't that called censorship? Mind you, I doubt there would be anything to stop them from publishing a URL.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1494717 wrote: They're right, though. If it's been published abroad & online, doesn't it seem somewhat idiotic that they should be banned from publishing it here. Isn't that called censorship? Mind you, I doubt there would be anything to stop them from publishing a URL.

I'm all for the right to privacy of the individual so I, personally, would not call it censorship.
spot

Post by spot »

Particularly since it's triggered by hold-to-ransom pay-for-the-story Max-Clifford-style profiteering on the part of a pair of treacherous gits cashing in, which any reputable paper would have shopped to the police rather than negotiate with. I'd include behavior like this in the next revision of the law relating to blackmail. I'm far more interested to hear, eventually, who the profiteers are rather than the couple who are about to be splashed in front of the breakfast table.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1494724 wrote: ........................are rather than the couple who are about to be splashed in front of the breakfast table.

It was a trio, a menage a trois, not a couple.............but I am interested in the splashed breakfast table part............have you been investigating ?
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1494736 wrote: It was a trio, a menage a trois, not a couple.............but I am interested in the splashed breakfast table part............have you been investigating ?

First hand knowledge by all accounts :-)
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1494736 wrote: It was a trio, a menage a trois, not a couple.............but I am interested in the splashed breakfast table part............have you been investigating ?

The ones trying to cash in are a couple. They menaged with the spouse of the fourth person who is the one who took out the injunction.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1494749 wrote: The ones trying to cash in are a couple. They menaged with the spouse of the fourth person who is the one who took out the injunction.

Yup.............Bryn was spot on.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Sounds to me more like they're all in it for the money. The more the publicity (gained by the injunction), the higher the price.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I can't see the benefit of spending in the region of £1,000,000 to hush it up, knowing that most of us with the will could find out on the net and knowing it's only a matter of time before the tabloids broadcast it all over the front pages.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Snowfire;1494809 wrote: I can't see the benefit of spending in the region of £1,000,000 to hush it up, knowing that most of us with the will could find out on the net and knowing it's only a matter of time before the tabloids broadcast it all over the front pages.

I honestly just couldn't be arsed looking, in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter who is involved.

It does matter that somebody can silence the news either side of the Scots/English border

Return to “General Chit Chat”