Here today and gone tomorrow

Free stuff, coupons, cheap stuff, and great deals. No "For Sale" or "Wanted" posts. No posting of "free" deals that require referrals, email addresses, etc.
spot

Post by spot »

I've been pricing my current business venture. I reckon everyone who's gone into the resurrection business has got it wrong so far.

What all the cryonics companies seem to offer at the moment is the storage of either a body or a brain at liquid nitrogen temperature until such time as it can be resurrected through scientific advances. The idea is that the storage firm eventually hands the stored meat to a future equivalent of a hospital and gets it re-grown in a rejuvenating fashion which will allow the revenant to age its way through another lifetime and then die again. I fail to be convinced. The idea that this frozen wetware can be re-attached to nerves, if necessary, and then sparked back into a functional state so that it can walk around chatting, having presumably lost a lifetime's wear and tear, is a bit far-fetched.

If, on the other hand, you assume that all the laid-down memory of a person is set into the physical structure of the brain - a reasonable assumption - then all you need do is preserve the entirety of that physical structure. It can, when technology allows, be scanned at a high-enough resolution to act as data in a computer simulator. The simulator has the potential to improve greatly on a person's current capacity to recall events. Speaking for myself, I know there's information at the back of my mind which it takes me minutes or hours to dredge back to a conscious level. If it's there, and the simulator is adequate, the lapse disappears.

I reckon all of that connexional information can be stored if the brain is simply pickled with sufficient care. So long as no bacteriological or parasite infestation can survive then the brain will remain undegraded in permanent stasis. We can test this notion because there are brains in museums which have been kept in formaldehyde or ethanol for over a hundred years and still have all the microscopic neurons intact and ready for inspection.

$300 per tonne, formaldehyde, and no subsequent maintenance. No annual charge for topping up the liquid nitrogen. Admittedly you're not going to regain consciousness within the same biological substrate, you'll be a dataset in someone's computer, but you'll be a lot more robust. Unlike your current manifestation you'll have indefinite survival and faster recall, improved peripherals and guaranteed human rights respected under the terms of the contract.

I can offer 999 year leasehold storage, including one complete ResurrectionScan™, at £2,000 for extracted brains delivered to our storage facility. This modest price includes one preservation kit and postage carton to be supplied to the undertaker or private hospital of your choice. Alternatively you are welcome to check into our dismantling crematorium hotel prior to death, where our technicians will ensure brain removal according to our own exacting standard. Hotel and cremation fees are payable in advance and additional to the preservation charge.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1493246 wrote: I've been pricing my current business venture. I reckon everyone who's gone into the resurrection business has got it wrong so far.

What all the cryonics companies seem to offer at the moment is the storage of either a body or a brain at liquid nitrogen temperature until such time as it can be resurrected through scientific advances. The idea is that the storage firm eventually hands the stored meat to a future equivalent of a hospital and gets it re-grown in a rejuvenating fashion which will allow the revenant to age its way through another lifetime and then die again. I fail to be convinced. The idea that this frozen wetware can be re-attached to nerves, if necessary, and then sparked back into a functional state so that it can walk around chatting, having presumably lost a lifetime's wear and tear, is a bit far-fetched.

If, on the other hand, you assume that all the laid-down memory of a person is set into the physical structure of the brain - a reasonable assumption - then all you need do is preserve the entirety of that physical structure. It can, when technology allows, be scanned at a high-enough resolution to act as data in a computer simulator. The simulator has the potential to improve greatly on a person's current capacity to recall events. Speaking for myself, I know there's information at the back of my mind which it takes me minutes or hours to dredge back to a conscious level. If it's there, and the simulator is adequate, the lapse disappears.

I reckon all of that connexional information can be stored if the brain is simply pickled with sufficient care. So long as no bacteriological or parasite infestation can survive then the brain will remain undegraded in permanent stasis. We can test this notion because there are brains in museums which have been kept in formaldehyde or ethanol for over a hundred years and still have all the microscopic neurons intact and ready for inspection.

$300 per tonne, formaldehyde, and no subsequent maintenance. No annual charge for topping up the liquid nitrogen. Admittedly you're not going to regain consciousness within the same biological substrate, you'll be a dataset in someone's computer, but you'll be a lot more robust. Unlike your current manifestation you'll have indefinite survival and faster recall, improved peripherals and guaranteed human rights respected under the terms of the contract.

I can offer 999 year leasehold storage, including one complete ResurrectionScan™, at £2,000 for extracted brains delivered to our storage facility. This modest price includes one preservation kit and postage carton to be supplied to the undertaker or private hospital of your choice. Alternatively you are welcome to check into our dismantling crematorium hotel prior to death, where our technicians will ensure brain removal according to our own exacting standard. Hotel and cremation fees are payable in advance and additional to the preservation charge.

OK............but would I still be able to enjoy cheese and biscuits ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1493247 wrote: OK............but would I still be able to enjoy cheese and biscuits ?

It wouldn't be high on my list of necessities but yes, definitely. I have it in mind that there will be an assortment of add-on peripherals available to The Awakened, one of which will be the Taste-O-Matic Mouth Accessory with plug-in Aroma Detector, though both could just be hired by the hour for those on a tight budget.

It would make financial sense to share these peripherals among a group even if they were all employed and earning. Nobody really needs the Stereo-Optic EyeDrone or the Binary Acoustic Coupler all day every day, they're really designed to be timeshared by people on alternate waking schedules. The more you can afford, the more hours of the day you can experience, but not many will warrant really expensive options like mobility.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

So I wouldn't be able to catch the random waft of next doors baking or an autumn bonfire or birdsong ?

Sort your pricing out quickly.

Who wants a time share coma ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1493251 wrote: So I wouldn't be able to catch the random waft of next doors baking or an autumn bonfire or birdsong ?

Sort your pricing out quickly.

Who wants a time share coma ?

Thanks, but I want the full package, or nothing. I like the total immersion experience. And after all of the changes I've witnessed in my short existence at this plane, I am ready to just move on to what ever awaits a natural end, even if it is simply the great expanse of nothing. Immortality will probably prove to be over-rated, anyway.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I've been reading a few articles that suggest that this is just around the corner. Virtual immortality. I'm all for it. As a matter of fact I've been for it since I read Frederick Pohl's "Beyond the Blue Event Horizon."

The hero, Robinette Broadhead, has himself uploaded to a computer and he has all the comforts of home. How can you tell the difference between a real swimming pool and a virtual one if all your senses tell you the same thing? He does remarks often, though, that he lives at incredible speeds due to the processing power of computers. To him, all living people (meat) are incredibly slow, so he spins of avatars for them to see holographically, while he waits for them to speak.

Return to “Hot Deals Freebies”