Should we ban the indoctrination and brainwashing of children by religions? Is it chi

FourPart

Should we ban the indoctrination and brainwashing of children by religions? Is it chi

Post by FourPart »

How are the figures calculated? After all, "We know nothing" to "We know something" is 100% increase.

It is said that there are more people alive on the planet today than the total of those who have ever lived & died before, including a longer & still increasing life span now than ever before, with increasing numbers of concurrent generations. Therefore, even with a constant amount of knowledge per person, just one person more, and the total level of knowledge increases by 1 unit. Multiply that by the birth of an entire generation over just one year, and those units add up. Then, as time goes on, the level of that 'constant' unit of knowledge increase also.

The real question is, "What is knowledge"? It is one thing to know facts. It is quite another to know what to do with them.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1491737 wrote: How are the figures calculated? After all, "We know nothing" to "We know something" is 100% increase.

It is said that there are more people alive on the planet today than the total of those who have ever lived & died before, including a longer & still increasing life span now than ever before, with increasing numbers of concurrent generations. Therefore, even with a constant amount of knowledge per person, just one person more, and the total level of knowledge increases by 1 unit. Multiply that by the birth of an entire generation over just one year, and those units add up. Then, as time goes on, the level of that 'constant' unit of knowledge increase also.

The real question is, "What is knowledge"? It is one thing to know facts. It is quite another to know what to do with them.

The article appears to equate knowledge with information. We currently hold a certain number of petabytes of data and we are gathering more by the second.

As you say, what is knowledge - the article's definition certainly does not relate to intelligence or even to individuals.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Bryn Mawr;1491735 wrote: That is the knowledge (more likely information) held by society as a whole, in no way is it the knowledge held be each and every individual within that society and even less is it the intelligence of those individuals.

In short, it has nothing to do with what was being discussed.

It just shows that the world is progressing a lot faster than what you think.

Regards

DL
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1491749 wrote: It just shows that the world is progressing a lot faster than what you think.

Regards

DL

Technology may be but human evolution plods on at its own sweet pace.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1491702 wrote: No argument except that the lazy/apathetic/uneducated/unintelligent do get manipulated by the media and do vote.

Point. -- George Bush was elected twice.

That is why it is a slow road for the intelligentsia. Not that I put myself in that category as I was not educated anywhere near enough. I do not think that I am particularly stupid though and like to think I can think on my feet.

If not for that ability of self education in all of us to some extent, the world would be a lot worse and few would be talking about our owners.

I just picked us this piece on the economy that shows the injustice of it and the governments that have allowed it.

Richest 62 people have more money than poorest 50% - NY Daily News

Regards

DL

Election turnout is one of the differences between the UK/US. You guys tend to have large turnouts at election time, possibly due to the hype during the election campaign. We have much smaller turnouts in this country with little hype and lacklustre characters with personalities about as engaging as soggy toilet paper. Because of this, we (may) have a (slight) advantage here as generally only those who have some political awareness tend to vote, though this is by no means a guarantee of getting a reasonable government; just look at the crap we've been electing for the last 30 years or so (for reasons we all know)!

Lack of education doesn't mean lack of intelligence! Equating academic prowess with intelligence is about as reliable as relating digestive efficiency to turd length, IMO.

As for the rich gits getting poorer; diddums den, my heart bleeds for them.....Not! Does currency currency value fluctuate if countless billions are tied up in stasis? If so much money is in the hands of so few does it put pressure on banks to print more at times, with the knock on effect of de-valuing the remaining currency in circulation? Not being an economist, or even particularly good at maths, I can't really answer my own question here and am open to elucidation!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Bryn Mawr;1491756 wrote: Technology may be but human evolution plods on at its own sweet pace.

I see things as damned near perfect.

I just wrote a thing relating to proving this.

Have a look and see if you do not begin to agree that I see 20/20 on this.

My message 32 is at this location.

EvC Forum: Are we in a new world Empire? A NWO?

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Smaug;1491759 wrote: Election turnout is one of the differences between the UK/US. You guys tend to have large turnouts at election time, possibly due to the hype during the election campaign. We have much smaller turnouts in this country with little hype and lacklustre characters with personalities about as engaging as soggy toilet paper. Because of this, we (may) have a (slight) advantage here as generally only those who have some political awareness tend to vote, though this is by no means a guarantee of getting a reasonable government; just look at the crap we've been electing for the last 30 years or so (for reasons we all know)!

Lack of education doesn't mean lack of intelligence! Equating academic prowess with intelligence is about as reliable as relating digestive efficiency to turd length, IMO.

As for the rich gits getting poorer; diddums den, my heart bleeds for them.....Not! Does currency currency value fluctuate if countless billions are tied up in stasis? If so much money is in the hands of so few does it put pressure on banks to print more at times, with the knock on effect of de-valuing the remaining currency in circulation? Not being an economist, or even particularly good at maths, I can't really answer my own question here and am open to elucidation!

Consider that those who write the rules for the economy and currency have no clue as to the theories they are dealing with.

The two greatest minds are in opposition as to the proper things to do in terms of the economy and if the experts do not know or are paid to create uncertainty, which is likely closer to the truth, then of course we will all be kept in an uncertainty mode.

This might actually be a good thing in order to find what needs to be found to stabilize the economy.

The only answer is to envisage the best socio economic demographic pyramid abd that is easy but we will not unite to follow instructions from the one person whose vision is being served.

If we all got together and moved in the one direction, we would all live like the wealthy and that is what the wealthy are likely fighting.

That or we are the ones fighting it to maintain tension, which is more entertaining than stability.

We like war more than we like or want peace. Break and Circus. War is a part of our Circuses.

Our instincts may be driving us to that to find the fittest systems.

Regards

DL
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1491763 wrote: Consider that those who write the rules for the economy and currency have no clue as to the theories they are dealing with.

The two greatest minds are in opposition as to the proper things to do in terms of the economy and if the experts do not know or are paid to create uncertainty, which is likely closer to the truth, then of course we will all be kept in an uncertainty mode.

This might actually be a good thing in order to find what needs to be found to stabilize the economy.

The only answer is to envisage the best socio economic demographic pyramid abd that is easy but we will not unite to follow instructions from the one person whose vision is being served.

If we all got together and moved in the one direction, we would all live like the wealthy and that is what the wealthy are likely fighting.

That or we are the ones fighting it to maintain tension, which is more entertaining than stability.

We like war more than we like or want peace. Break and Circus. War is a part of our Circuses.

Our instincts may be driving us to that to find the fittest systems.

Regards

DL

There may be something in what you say; there's definitely a 'rich' club, and we're not invited! The inherent instability in our psyche, coupled with our quickly aroused warlike tendencies will continue to cause fluctuating periods of instability on a global scale, and this instability doubtless provides opportunities for enrichment to certain unscrupulous individuals and organizations. Those profiting by this, such as arms manufacturers (and support industries) certainly won't want that to end, or politicians who prosper by peddling nightmares....

As for finding the fittest systems, that's a natural drive that's been with us since the year dot. It's ensured our supremacy over the animal kingdom, and driven our technological development, though it can be a 'double-edged sword', especially if two 'fit' systems end up in competition, as opposed to symbiosis.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Smaug;1491764 wrote: There may be something in what you say; there's definitely a 'rich' club, and we're not invited! The inherent instability in our psyche, coupled with our quickly aroused warlike tendencies will continue to cause fluctuating periods of instability on a global scale, and this instability doubtless provides opportunities for enrichment to certain unscrupulous individuals and organizations. Those profiting by this, such as arms manufacturers (and support industries) certainly won't want that to end, or politicians who prosper by peddling nightmares....

As for finding the fittest systems, that's a natural drive that's been with us since the year dot. It's ensured our supremacy over the animal kingdom, and driven our technological development, though it can be a 'double-edged sword', especially if two 'fit' systems end up in competition, as opposed to symbiosis.

Our desire to seek the fittest should be given a venue.

At present, we have collectively decided to use technology (guns etc.) to determine the fittest.

I think this stupid and if we are going to continue doing what we do while expecting a better outcome then we are collectively insane.

Having said that, we should promote the idea of seeking a better way to do competition and war so as to put honor back into the human part of combat band competition.

Men especially are brutish and should be given an outlet for this brutishness.

Perhaps going back to sword fighting to the death would appease our blood lust.

Sure beats a drone war in terms of honor which is the fittest part of what war is really about. Honor is the prise. Not the killing.

Hockey would be my vote as a substitute for war but then, as a Canadian, my country is already seen by the world as the fittest. That makes my bias understandable..

Regards

DL
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1491771 wrote: Our desire to seek the fittest should be given a venue.

At present, we have collectively decided to use technology (guns etc.) to determine the fittest.

I think this stupid and if we are going to continue doing what we do while expecting a better outcome then we are collectively insane.

Having said that, we should promote the idea of seeking a better way to do competition and war so as to put honor back into the human part of combat band competition.

Men especially are brutish and should be given an outlet for this brutishness.

Perhaps going back to sword fighting to the death would appease our blood lust.

Sure beats a drone war in terms of honor which is the fittest part of what war is really about. Honor is the prise. Not the killing.

Hockey would be my vote as a substitute for war but then, as a Canadian, my country is already seen by the world as the fittest. That makes my bias understandable..

Regards

DL

Maybe government versus government in hand-to-hand combat would stop a lot of wars!:-6

Weapon firepower, quality and quantity do seem to be a main gauge of 'fitness', coupled with armed forces size. China come tops here, I would say! ( If the collective armies of the world were collected together, then doubled, they would equal China on it's own....):yh_ghost

As for combat band competition, not sure you blow a bugle whilst stomping an 'enemy' bandsman? :wah:

Men do tend to be more brutish, but not all women are gentle-hearted creatures. Margaret Thatcher springs to mind here.....:lips:

I don't fancy sword-fighting to the death as a solution; you know the T.V. companies would latch onto this, then we'd be back to Roman gladiatorial bloodbaths as entertainment....:yh_sick

No prizes for being honourable if your army has been 'fragged' by drones! Not quite sure how you would deliver a M.O.A.B. or battlefield nuke with honour or good

manners. :-3

Good job hockey doesn't determine 'the baddest boy on the block', or we'd be last again....:wah:
Ted

Post by Ted »

What is proposed to deal with the likes of Stalin and Hitler or ISIL whose aim is to kill as many infidels?
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Smaug;1491775 wrote: Maybe government versus government in hand-to-hand combat would stop a lot of wars!:-6

Weapon firepower, quality and quantity do seem to be a main gauge of 'fitness', coupled with armed forces size. China come tops here, I would say! ( If the collective armies of the world were collected together, then doubled, they would equal China on it's own....):yh_ghost

As for combat band competition, not sure you blow a bugle whilst stomping an 'enemy' bandsman? :wah:

Men do tend to be more brutish, but not all women are gentle-hearted creatures. Margaret Thatcher springs to mind here.....:lips:

I don't fancy sword-fighting to the death as a solution; you know the T.V. companies would latch onto this, then we'd be back to Roman gladiatorial bloodbaths as entertainment....:yh_sick

No prizes for being honourable if your army has been 'fragged' by drones! Not quite sure how you would deliver a M.O.A.B. or battlefield nuke with honour or good

manners. :-3

Good job hockey doesn't determine 'the baddest boy on the block', or we'd be last again....:wah:

You just need a few Canadian imports to show you poor manners. Just on the ice of course.

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Ted;1491777 wrote: What is proposed to deal with the likes of Stalin and Hitler or ISIL whose aim is to kill as many infidels?

The same as had to end WW!!. Massive retaliation.

At present, the West fears the East. We have to reverse that.

Obama backed down to Syria and lost the East's respect.

Regards

DL
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I was of the understanding that America was supposed to be a democratic country. What if the majority of the country wanted to elect a non American born national as a President. Would that not be democratic? Wouldn't denying them the right to do so be considered as tyranny, and thus a dictatorship?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1491870 wrote: I was of the understanding that America was supposed to be a democratic country. What if the majority of the country wanted to elect a non American born national as a President. Would that not be democratic? Wouldn't denying them the right to do so be considered as tyranny, and thus a dictatorship?

The Constitution is what states the requirement for the president to be a citizen, and to be so by birth, rather than naturalization.

By design, that would first have to be amended by due process.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

FourPart;1491870 wrote: I was of the understanding that America was supposed to be a democratic country. What if the majority of the country wanted to elect a non American born national as a President. Would that not be democratic? Wouldn't denying them the right to do so be considered as tyranny, and thus a dictatorship?

Thankfully we are not a democracy. President is not determined by popular vote, but by the Electoral College.

It has happened four times where we got a president without a majority vote. about

Not saying the results were the best for the country, but I like seperation of powers.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

I agree that there is a contradiction within the U.S. democracy when it says the people cannot choose to change laws to elect whoever they choose.

Then again, we all live in oligarchies and not representative democracies.

We are all owned. None are free.

Regards

DL
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1491936 wrote: I agree that there is a contradiction within the U.S. democracy when it says the people cannot choose to change laws to elect whoever they choose.

Regards

DL

They have every right to change the law but there is a defined process they have to go through in order to do so
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Bryn Mawr;1491940 wrote: They have every right to change the law but there is a defined process they have to go through in order to do so

A catch 22.

A foreigner would have to be elected to changer the law but no foreigner can run for the office.

Regards

DL
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1491936 wrote: I agree that there is a contradiction within the U.S. democracy when it says the people cannot choose to change laws to elect whoever they choose.

Regards

DL

Of course, we can change the Constitution.

The Constitution of the United States

Article V

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.

Federal Register

Not an easy process to be sure, and for good reason it was intended to be that way.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Then take away the number you first thought of.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1491945 wrote: A catch 22.

A foreigner would have to be elected to changer the law but no foreigner can run for the office.

Regards

DL

Why would a foreigner have to be elected in order for the law to be changed?

I'm sure that Americans are quite capable of doing it themselves if it needs to be done.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Bryn Mawr;1492000 wrote: Why would a foreigner have to be elected in order for the law to be changed?

I'm sure that Americans are quite capable of doing it themselves if it needs to be done.

You are correct that they could but I do not think they ever will due to pride and insecurity. You never know though, but at present, even one who does not lie about his lack of faith in a Christian God is not likely to ever be elected.

I think we all want a liar without morals in charge so that he will not hesitate to do whatever it takes to keep the population alive and intact. That would include insanely using nukes.

Socrates may have said it best when saying the best leader would be a corrupt one who can convince the people he is good.

That link, if at all true, may be exactly what people want. This may actually be a proof of that.

If you are happy with the U.K news talking about building 7's collapse 20 minutes before it did, then you should not take the time to listen to this.

Incontrovertible - New 9/11 [Documentary]

Regards

DL
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492002 wrote: You are correct that they could but I do not think they ever will due to pride and insecurity. You never know though, but at present, even one who does not lie about his lack of faith in a Christian God is not likely to ever be elected.

I think we all want a liar without morals in charge so that he will not hesitate to do whatever it takes to keep the population alive and intact. That would include insanely using nukes.

Socrates may have said it best when saying the best leader would be a corrupt one who can convince the people he is good.

That link, if at all true, may be exactly what people want. This may actually be a proof of that.

If you are happy with the U.K news talking about building 7's collapse 20 minutes before it did, then you should not take the time to listen to this.

Regards

DL

And why, pray tell, would we want to elect a foreigner to run our country for us? (Ted Cruz notwithstanding, of course)

I think we can very well screw things up all by our lonesome, thank you.
- DH Lawrence
Ted

Post by Ted »

Let's not forget Donald Trump and his campaign of fear.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492002 wrote: You are correct that they could but I do not think they ever will due to pride and insecurity. You never know though, but at present, even one who does not lie about his lack of faith in a Christian God is not likely to ever be elected.

Remember that those who vote for a change to the constitution, unlike those who run for the presidency, do not have to be american natives (as opposed to Native Americans).

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492002 wrote: I think we all want a liar without morals in charge so that he will not hesitate to do whatever it takes to keep the population alive and intact. That would include insanely using nukes.

That might be what you want but no way would I put my name to it. I'm far more of the philosophy that no-one who wants high office should ever be allowed to have it.

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492002 wrote: That link, if at all true, may be exactly what people want. This may actually be a proof of that.

Regards

DL

Not believing it for one moment, I'll pass.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492002 wrote: If you are happy with the U.K news talking about building 7's collapse 20 minutes before it did, then you should not take the time to listen to this.

Regards

DL

Calling it a Documentary doesn't make it any less fictional.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

LarsMac;1492004 wrote: And, pray tell, would we want to elect a foreigner to run our country for us? (Ted Cruz notwithstanding, of course)

I think we can very well screw things up all by our lonesome, thank you.

I think that the best person for the job should be elected regardless of being a national or not. Basically because politics are done for the locals to consume and that is where all the lies and corruptions come in.

In todays economy and environment, non-local is the way to go as we are world citizens just as much as we are citizens in our own countries.

Economies and environment are better served by thinking globally and not locally.

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Ted;1492005 wrote: Let's not forget Donald Trump and his campaign of fear.

Protecting ones country from an immoral religion is not fear mongering.

It is making a proper value judgement.

You are just on the media's politically correct bandwagon. Think for yourself.

Tell us, do you see Islam as a moral religion?

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

FourPart;1492012 wrote: Calling it a Documentary doesn't make it any less fictional.

Their information is in the public domain but as I said, those happy with the way the government has shown the parts that they made public should not bother thinking of these particular mishaps.

Regards

DL
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492020 wrote: I think that the best person for the job should be elected regardless of being a national or not. Basically because politics are done for the locals to consume and that is where all the lies and corruptions come in.

In todays economy and environment, non-local is the way to go as we are world citizens just as much as we are citizens in our own countries.

Economies and environment are better served by thinking globally and not locally.

Regards

DL

That's malarkey.

People who know the local economy, and the local environment, not to mention the people that they will be serving, are far better suited to make decisions on how the area can interact with the larger economy and environment. The last thing we need in Colorado is some clown from Ontario or Quebec coming here to tell us how we should interact with the national economy, or how we should manage our resources.
- DH Lawrence
Gnostic Christian Bishop

LarsMac;1492025 wrote: That's malarkey.

People who know the local economy, and the local environment, not to mention the people that they will be serving, are far better suited to make decisions on how the area can interact with the larger economy and environment. The last thing we need in Colorado is some clown from Ontario or Quebec coming here to tell us how we should interact with the national economy, or how we should manage our resources.

You ignore that at this point in time, the U.S. is trying and succeeding in changing the banking rules world wide and making other changes in the world economy.

Your backwards and local thinking has already been bypassed for the wiser world system.

If you were correct then your country would not be a part of the G20.

The G20 listen to the best mind regardless of nationality. Eventually, all governments will do the same.

Regards

DL
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492026 wrote: You ignore that at this point in time, the U.S. is trying and succeeding in changing the banking rules world wide and making other changes in the world economy.

Your backwards and local thinking has already been bypassed for the wiser world system.

If you were correct then your country would not be a part of the G20.

The G20 listen to the best mind regardless of nationality. Eventually, all governments will do the same.

Regards

DL

Incorrect. I ignore nothing. It is one thing to have a global world view, and be a part of Global Management, but most people still want local knowledge in the people they choose to represent them.
- DH Lawrence
Gnostic Christian Bishop

LarsMac;1492027 wrote: Incorrect. I ignore nothing. It is one thing to have a global world view, and be a part of Global Management, but most people still want local knowledge in the people they choose to represent them.

I do not see people losing local representation but think it rather pointless as they will not do their will but the collective will of the world body.

It does not really matter to the G20 as to who is in it as it is a collective and acts like it.

That is why electing the best, local or not, is the best way to go.

Regards

DL
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492028 wrote: I do not see people losing local representation but think it rather pointless as they will not do their will but the collective will of the world body.

It does not really matter to the G20 as to who is in it as it is a collective and acts like it.

That is why electing the best, local or not, is the best way to go.

Regards

DL

We (the World) are a very long way from being ready for " the collective will of the world body."

And the G20 is a collective meeting of representatives from the member countries who are there to assure the concerns of their respective country are considered. G20 is not a governing body, deciding local policies.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492021 wrote: Protecting ones country from an immoral religion is not fear mongering.

It is making a proper value judgement.

You are just on the media's politically correct bandwagon. Think for yourself.

Tell us, do you see Islam as a moral religion?

Regards

DL

But telling lies to generate that fear is totally immoral.

And in answer to your question, no more or less so than Christianity.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

LarsMac;1492033 wrote: We (the World) are a very long way from being ready for " the collective will of the world body."

And the G20 is a collective meeting of representatives from the member countries who are there to assure the concerns of their respective country are considered. G20 is not a governing body, deciding local policies.

Yes they do.

So does the E U and other coalitions and world organizations.

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Bryn Mawr;1492036 wrote: But telling lies to generate that fear is totally immoral.

And in answer to your question, no more or less so than Christianity.

Christianity does not punish rape victims these days. I do not think they ever did. They have been uncivilized in the past but we have brought them to heel and civilized behavior

If you cannot see the Islam of today as the worst of a bad lot then you should wonder about your moral sense.

Regards

DL
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492041 wrote: Yes they do.

So does the E U and other coalitions and world organizations.

Regards

DL

I'm sorry, but I have no time to dedicate to watching all these videos you keep coming up with. I prefer the written word.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492042 wrote: Christianity does not punish rape victims these days. I do not think they ever did. They have been uncivilized in the past but we have brought them to heel and civilized behavior

If you cannot see the Islam of today as the worst of a bad lot then you should wonder about your moral sense.

Regards

DL

Thanks to the christian myth of adam and eve we still blame the rape victimfor having in some way tempted the rapist. Look at what happened in cologne, not these men should control themselves and act with respect rather the women will have to be more careful when they go out. It's within living memory (just) that women did not have any legal status beyond belonging to some male as daughter or spouse, we still refer to "loose" women, ie not under contol. Christianity teaches original sin as part of the doctrine it punishes everybody thatr does not believe if not in this life then in the hereafter.

Both islam and christianity belong in the past and christianity may have lost some of it's temporal power. but the baleful influence is ever with us. The only people who are going to defeat isil are other nmuslims that pick up weapons and start fighting back
Gnostic Christian Bishop

gmc;1492051 wrote: Thanks to the christian myth of adam and eve we still blame the rape victimfor having in some way tempted the rapist. Look at what happened in cologne, not these men should control themselves and act with respect rather the women will have to be more careful when they go out. It's within living memory (just) that women did not have any legal status beyond belonging to some male as daughter or spouse, we still refer to "loose" women, ie not under contol. Christianity teaches original sin as part of the doctrine it punishes everybody thatr does not believe if not in this life then in the hereafter.

Both islam and christianity belong in the past and christianity may have lost some of it's temporal power. but the baleful influence is ever with us. The only people who are going to defeat isil are other nmuslims that pick up weapons and start fighting back

20/20

I think we should train and arm all the refuges and return them to take back their own countries instead of creating all of the trouble they are creating in the West.

We had to fight for the rights they want and I see nothing wrong with them fighting for theirs the same way we did.

You cannot reform a bad government or immoral religion by running away from it.

Regards

DL
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Who is to say which morals are right & which are wrong. You have already raised the matter of Catholics & their viewpoint on the morality of Birth Control. Now, without taking sides one way or the other, what right has anyone to say that such a view is moral or not? If a moral code works for a culture in that culture's country, then that's the right moral code for them. If a culture prefers a caliphate to a democracy, then who are we to impose our beliefs in democracy upon them?

In my opinion, Religion itself is the most immoral code there is or ever has been. However, there are plenty who would not agree.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492042 wrote: Christianity does not punish rape victims these days. I do not think they ever did. They have been uncivilized in the past but we have brought them to heel and civilized behavior

Regards

DL

I can see a lot of people taking the very worse excesses of the fundamentalist Muslims and claiming that behaviour is typical of all Muslims everywhere - that is deliberate misrepresentation of the facts and therefore lying.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

FourPart;1492063 wrote: Who is to say which morals are right & which are wrong. You have already raised the matter of Catholics & their viewpoint on the morality of Birth Control. Now, without taking sides one way or the other, what right has anyone to say that such a view is moral or not? If a moral code works for a culture in that culture's country, then that's the right moral code for them. If a culture prefers a caliphate to a democracy, then who are we to impose our beliefs in democracy upon them?

In my opinion, Religion itself is the most immoral code there is or ever has been. However, there are plenty who would not agree.

Who is to say? You are.

I am not sure who said what on birth control but morality and the choice to discuss it with others who are not on the same page is a duty.

Are we not our brothers keeper and if we do unto others as we would like done to us, we should be eager to both teach a more moral way as well as learn a more moral way.

That, according to some religions and philosophies is the right and loving thing to do.

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Consider that mankind would still be living in trees and caves if we had not corrected each other over time.

Do you like being corrected or would you prefer to go about doing the wrong or inferior thing?

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Bryn Mawr;1492068 wrote: I can see a lot of people taking the very worse excesses of the fundamentalist Muslims and claiming that behaviour is typical of all Muslims everywhere - that is deliberate misrepresentation of the facts and therefore lying.

If there was misrepresentation, I agree.

To suggest there was misrepresentation, without showing where it is, so as to correct the other, can also be seen as a lie and just an attempt to discredit truth and another poster.

Regards

DL
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492075 wrote: Do you like being corrected or would you prefer to go about doing the wrong or inferior thing?

Being 'corrected' is not the same thing as being made aware of an alternative & leaving you to decide for yourself. If we were still to go by the teachings of the Bible we would be certain to beat our slaves on a regular basis.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1492076 wrote: If there was misrepresentation, I agree.

To suggest there was misrepresentation, without showing where it is, so as to correct the other, can also be seen as a lie and just an attempt to discredit truth and another poster.

Regards

DL

Are you seriously suggesting that everything Trump has said about Muslims is the unbiased truth :yh_rotfl
Gnostic Christian Bishop

FourPart;1492084 wrote: Being 'corrected' is not the same thing as being made aware of an alternative & leaving you to decide for yourself. If we were still to go by the teachings of the Bible we would be certain to beat our slaves on a regular basis.

Islam still does while calling it's slaves wives and daughters.

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Bryn Mawr;1492087 wrote: Are you seriously suggesting that everything Trump has said about Muslims is the unbiased truth :yh_rotfl

What words do you have in mind and whatever they are are likely biased.

Most of what we all say shows our biases.

That does not mean that the words or statements are not true.

Regards

DL
Ted

Post by Ted »

Trump is running a campaign of fear. That is a very dangerous approach. Think of Trump having his hand on that switch. Not such a good idea.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”