ubuntu

gmc

ubuntu

Post by gmc »

Finally got it installed and working on an old laptop that formerly had XP on it. Looks good so far. I hate laptops they always seem incredily slow compared to a desktop it's like watching teacle run, drives me up the wall but I want to be sure I like it before I try anything else. Quite fancy building myself one (a computer that is) and running it on linux.
Bruv

ubuntu

Post by Bruv »

Congratulations, what flavour did you go for?

I no longer use the PC for anything other than entertainment,social media, forums ect.

My first outings with Linux amazed me with the speed it started up, sorting out printers and WiFi automatically.

I still see myself as a novice although I have used it for several years
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

ubuntu

Post by spot »

The treacle-aspect of computing, whether on a desktop or on a laptop, is tied to how much memory you have to fit in. I would hope for at least 2GB if I were running Ubuntu or Windows (everything from Vista to 10). I get on fine with 3GB, that counts as spacious, but just 1GB is really tight. The Raspberry Pi has only 1GB and the linux version on that has been well oiled by experts to make it run acceptably.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

ubuntu

Post by gmc »

spot;1491052 wrote: The treacle-aspect of computing, whether on a desktop or on a laptop, is tied to how much memory you have to fit in. I would hope for at least 2GB if I were running Ubuntu or Windows (everything from Vista to 10). I get on fine with 3GB, that counts as spacious, but just 1GB is really tight. The Raspberry Pi has only 1GB and the linux version on that has been well oiled by experts to make it run acceptably.

I think the laptops 2gb. Tried it on an old toshiba laptop and it's so slow it's useless. That one wass heading for the recycle bin anyway. I have an old desktop with 4gb that's up next.
Bryn Mawr

ubuntu

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1491052 wrote: The treacle-aspect of computing, whether on a desktop or on a laptop, is tied to how much memory you have to fit in. I would hope for at least 2GB if I were running Ubuntu or Windows (everything from Vista to 10). I get on fine with 3GB, that counts as spacious, but just 1GB is really tight. The Raspberry Pi has only 1GB and the linux version on that has been well oiled by experts to make it run acceptably.

Win10 suffers if it only has 2GB - I recently upgraded an old desktop that was creaking after I'd updated to Win10 and it ran far better with 4GB.
FourPart

ubuntu

Post by FourPart »

It took me ages to rid my PC of W10. It screwed up my entire system.
LarsMac

ubuntu

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1491078 wrote: It took me ages to rid my PC of W10. It screwed up my entire system.

Funny, First time I tried it, I didn't like how it handled a specific game I had, so I chose the option to revert back to Win 7. It did, without incident, and the PC has been fine ever since.

Of course I did choose to revert before the trial period was up.

I have another Win 7 pc that I may try to upgrade and then try to revert after the trial period, just to see what happens.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

ubuntu

Post by gmc »

It's ubuntu 15.10 incidentally. A free disc from linux format.

Got wondows 10 on desktop and laptop - as it happens I treated myself to new ones last christmas still under warranty both wemt back to PC world to get sorted. That's what I don't like about windows anything goes wrong out the ordinary except re-booting I haven't a clue linux seems to offer a chance to know to be able to fix the damn thing myself had they not been under warranty I would have been stuffed at least for a while until i took it to somewhere to get it sorted. Spent two hours trying to get my GPS to update properly and work out why I couldn't asccess the keyboard any more then tried a different usb lead - guess what faulty usb cable. It's always something simple when you know what is going on.
spot

ubuntu

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1491057 wrote: Win10 suffers if it only has 2GB - I recently upgraded an old desktop that was creaking after I'd updated to Win10 and it ran far better with 4GB.

I think it's a matter of default configuration. As Windows 10 comes out of the box it has an appalling need for memory but there's a load of services and extras which can be disabled. In an ideal world the OS would wake up, look around and shrink to give the best experience, but it doesn't - it just runs everything, as far as I can see, regardless of the harm done.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

ubuntu

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1491078 wrote: It took me ages to rid my PC of W10. It screwed up my entire system.

I was asked to upgrade a laptop but the upgrade persistently failed, the revert to Win7 worked perfectly each time and was far quicker than the upgrade.
Bryn Mawr

ubuntu

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1491092 wrote: I think it's a matter of default configuration. As Windows 10 comes out of the box it has an appalling need for memory but there's a load of services and extras which can be disabled. In an ideal world the OS would wake up, look around and shrink to give the best experience, but it doesn't - it just runs everything, as far as I can see, regardless of the harm done.

It would be nice to know which of the myriad services I could safely disable.
FourPart

ubuntu

Post by FourPart »

As a major part of my computer usage is for music, I use a Midi Keyboard - albeit quite an old model. However, with W10 it totally wiped the drivers for it, and there just aren't any available for use with W10. When I reverted to W7 the drivers were gone & I needed to find some new (legacy) ones. The same sort of thing happened to my sound cards, which needed reinstalling.

W10 may be fine for things like Tablet use, but for a proper computer I reckon W7 is still the best one MS have brought out. It follows basically the same formula they've had since the birth of Windows, and it's thrived simply because it's a winning, user friendly formula. Users, of all ages, have become comfortable & familiar with it. Now they want to change it in order to fall in line with computers that don't have a keyboard or a mouse & are, in effect, glorified Mobile Phones. When I use a proper computer, I expect to use a proper Operating System. Even now I keep getting prompted to upgrade to W10, although I think I've managed to disable most of those prompts now.
gmc

ubuntu

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;1491095 wrote: It would be nice to know which of the myriad services I could safely disable.

The one I would like to completely get rid of is one drive. I've deleted it emoved the files and it's still there in file explorer. Who on earth is going to trust their files in the cloud, only a matter of time before somebody hacks in to it.
spot

ubuntu

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1491095 wrote: It would be nice to know which of the myriad services I could safely disable.

I failed to remember to come back to this. My bad, as the Queen says when her children pop round and she's out of toasties.

Service Configurations – Black Viper | www.blackviper.com is the place to start. I've been relying on that site for optimizing since XP.
Bryn Mawr

ubuntu

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1491261 wrote: I failed to remember to come back to this. My bad, as the Queen says when her children pop round and she's out of toasties.

Service Configurations – Black Viper | www.blackviper.com is the place to start. I've been relying on that site for optimizing since XP.

Thank you - I'll play for a while :-)
The Rob

ubuntu

Post by The Rob »

spot;1491261 wrote: I failed to remember to come back to this. My bad, as the Queen says when her children pop round and she's out of toasties.

I second that. It was how I was able to rake out the chaff from Vista some years ago. (Ultimately Vista became a dumb and mute gaming partition anyway, once I discovered Linux Mint.)

Return to “Computers Internet”