Weather, Marrakech

A forum to discuss local issues in Asia, Africa, and the rest of the world.
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

I should never be left for hours in a room with an Internet connection, I may do something unexpected.

An email arrived from Leeds this afternoon offering deeply discounted flights. That bit was my fault for joining their mailing list some years ago.

One doesn't often see Marrakesh return flights including taxes for £99. I idly wandered over to airbnb just to look at accommodation - that was the major mistake, that's why I ought to be supervised online. I found a self-contained studio flat in the kasbah for two weeks for the price of my last Sainsbury delivery.

It's one of those places I've always wanted to see, Marrakesh. There, or Fez, or Algiers, or Casablanca. And the booking deadline for the flight is tonight. And it's a direct flight, and it's none of your squeeze-them-tight discount fliers either, it's British Airways with free snacks brought to one's seat. Easyjet doesn't do that.

Will I talk myself out of this in time, that's the question.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Bruv »

Best advice ?

Cut back on the Sainsbury order.

Otherwise go for it, but.............hope you have a postal vote arranged.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

Bruv;1478325 wrote: hope you have a postal vote arranged.

I do, I'm so often out of town at short notice that I arranged a postal vote when I moved here. If I'm booking this fortnight it will be for the late autumn, not straight away - the weather is more bearable, I'm not the sort who can tolerate even the low eighties, as it used to be known. Around November out there it's an equable mid-seventies, or 22°C as the BBC puts it. Were I to go now, the Goretex in my anorak would melt.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Snowfire »

Get them speedos and lotion packed ! Do you own a handkerchief you can tie knots in ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Bruv »

Snowfire;1478327 wrote: Get them speedos and lotion packed ! Do you own a handkerchief you can tie knots in ?

You shouldn't have to ask.
Snowfire

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Snowfire »

We could do an FG group holiday

Attached files

Winston Churchill
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1478327 wrote: Get them speedos and lotion packed ! Do you own a handkerchief you can tie knots in ?

I have a suspicion that my use of speedos in Marrakesh would probably end in my deportation. They don't do that sort of thing there in public. I'm reluctant to even get them out in Cornwall.

The booking and flights, on the other hand, are signed and sealed.
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins including Tropical Diseases - Epidemiological profile of snakebites in Morocco

Snakebite antidote is running out - BBC News

"Each year, an estimated five million people worldwide are bitten by snakes, out of whom 100,000 die and 400,000 are permanently disabled or disfigured. In Sub-Saharan Africa alone, 30,000 people die from snakebite every year and an estimated 8,000 undergo amputations. "

I should get a book, the Internet is no place for the likes of me.
Smaug

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Smaug »

spot;1478374 wrote: I have a suspicion that my use of speedos in Marrakesh would probably end in my deportation. They don't do that sort of thing there in public. I'm reluctant to even get them out in Cornwall.

The booking and flights, on the other hand, are signed and sealed.

If you're very self-conscious, you could try a burka, I suppose. Mind you, they'll probably try to nail you on transgender laws! Unfortunately, you won't get much of a suntan, though you might come back sporting a good set of lash-marks....
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

Smaug;1485975 wrote: you won't get much of a suntan, though you might come back sporting a good set of lash-marks....

There's a hotel like that round the back of Earls Court Tube.
Smaug

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Smaug »

spot;1485976 wrote: There's a hotel like that round the back of Earls Court Tube.

I think I might have been tempted to keep quiet about that, otherwise everyone will want to have a go!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
FourPart

Weather, Marrakech

Post by FourPart »

I understand there's quite a few hotels like that in Amsterdam as well.
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

spot;1485973 wrote: "Each year, an estimated five million people worldwide are bitten by snakes, out of whom 100,000 die and 400,000 are permanently disabled or disfigured. In Sub-Saharan Africa alone, 30,000 people die from snakebite every year and an estimated 8,000 undergo amputations. "

I should get a book, the Internet is no place for the likes of me.

Oh dear oh dear... Viper sinks fangs into unwary Indian farmer's todger • The Register
chonsigirl

Weather, Marrakech

Post by chonsigirl »

It sounds like a good opportunity for a cool trip. Go for it! Just carry a nice wooden walking stick around if the thought of those snakes bother you, so you can smack them if they come close. We've done that forever and a day as kids if we went out in the desert-take a good stick! It was also useful for bothering younger siblings when needed......
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

I should, I suppose, make this thread current. It was 28 degrees when my plane landed, or 82 in real money. Almost a palindromic temperature.

I have heard many snake charmers. I've not looked.
Snowfire

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Snowfire »

You're missing some unseasonably mild but damp weather with occasional flashes of bright sun.

Oh and it's windy, very windy.

By Friday, its getting colder so I might need to roll my sleeves down

Winston Churchill
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

I've nothing in my head, got a floor for a bed, my future's at the bottom of a teacup. I've half a pair of shoes and no time to lose, I'm wondering when I'm going to wise up.

It's not as bad as Steve Hammond tells it. I've found places to eat, for example. The temperature went above 30 by which I mean it was hot out. I walked around the walled Jewish cemetery and the tombs of the Saadian dynasty, I can find my way from the kasbah to the far end of the souk and back, and I have paid sensible negotiated prices for essentials off stalls.
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

Today being a Friday, things are very quiet outdoors. I have eaten, taken coffee and may do both again later.
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

I've arranged a trip to the mountains tomorrow, which may involve coming back on Monday but I'm definitely not carrying a laptop with me. I shall have my camera though. The sky has so far been consistently cloud-free and at no time could the temperature be described as chilly. Night-time in the mountains may differ in that regard. I have my leather jacket to hand.
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

I may, just possibly, have a broken foot, I can't yet tell. A large stone on a mountain path turned under me as I stepped on it. It's not a sprained ankle this time.
Bruv

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Bruv »

Hope your insurance is good.
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

My insurance is 56 pages long, I have here a copy I printed before I left.
Bruv

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Bruv »

spot;1489587 wrote: My insurance is 56 pages long, I have here a copy I printed before I left.

I really should have said hope you get better soon, but finance is important too.
LarsMac

Weather, Marrakech

Post by LarsMac »

Bad way to end a holiday. Sorry to hear about it. Hope they can patch you up well enough for you to enjoy the rest of the trip.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Smaug

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Smaug »

spot;1489583 wrote: I may, just possibly, have a broken foot, I can't yet tell. A large stone on a mountain path turned under me as I stepped on it. It's not a sprained ankle this time.

Sorry to hear that, Spot. Not a nice thing to happen, especially on your hols. Good insurance is 'a must'; I hope it's not too much of a 'minefield'.
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

It's only one foot, you know. I have two, I can get around.

It's not even the whole of one foot, it's just on one side.

I do think I might drop into a clinic though.
Smaug

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Smaug »

spot;1489669 wrote: It's only one foot, you know. I have two, I can get around.

It's not even the whole of one foot, it's just on one side.

I do think I might drop into a clinic though.

The clinic sounds like a good idea, Spot. Hope they can alleviate the problem enough or you to be able to finish your hols. Typical that it should happen whilst you're away. Sod was quite astute with his law!
spot

Weather, Marrakech

Post by spot »

I've been x-rayed and told there's a fracture visible in the picture. I was told the foot had to be plastered or the break wouldn't heal, so I've a plaster up my calf and sticks-with-handles-and-armrests to walk with. Walking with the sticks is, perhaps, an art I may not acquire.

The tablets from the pharmacy look shockingly powerful and I'm not going to take any of them.

I'll sleep in the cast tonight but I have a strong suspicion I'm going to saw it off tomorrow.
Betty Boop

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Betty Boop »

You are a bloody idiot if you remove that cast, it's there for a reason.
Bruv

Weather, Marrakech

Post by Bruv »

spot;1489681 wrote: I've been x-rayed and told there's a fracture visible in the picture. I was told the foot had to be plastered or the break wouldn't heal, so I've a plaster up my calf and sticks-with-handles-and-armrests to walk with. Walking with the sticks is, perhaps, an art I may not acquire.

The tablets from the pharmacy look shockingly powerful and I'm not going to take any of them.

I'll sleep in the cast tonight but I have a strong suspicion I'm going to saw it off tomorrow.

Stop being so macho, rest up for a day, then hobble, but no self DIY extractions, you are not Ranulph Fiennes
G#Gill

Weather, Marrakech

Post by G#Gill »

Mr. Spot, for pity's sake just do as you are told and leave that cast alone. As BB says it is there for a reason ( bone crepitus is very painful) ! Your bones will heal much better - just suffer the inconvenience and possible irritation, otherwise the bone/s will not heal properly and may leave you with a permanent limp and encourage arthritis. So if that's what you really want, then cut the damn cast off tomorrow !

Try to be patient as opposed to being a prat !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Return to “Other Regions”