Carson claimed West Point 'scholarship' but never applied

Discuss the latest political news.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Republican hits POLITICO story, later admits to The New York Times he wasn’t offered aid.

Ben Carson is a liar to the umth degree. That should not surprise anyone though because he's a monotheistic christian who claims he knows someone who doesn't exist - that, of course, being God.

Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson on Friday conceded that he never applied nor was granted admission to West Point and attempted to recast his previous claims of a full scholarship to the military academy — despite numerous public and written statements to the contrary over the last few decades.

West Point has occupied a central place in Carson’s personal story for years. According to a tale told in his book, “Gifted Hands,” the then-17 year old was introduced in 1969 to Gen. William Westmoreland, who had just ended his command of U.S. forces in Vietnam, and the two dined together. That meeting, according to Carson’s telling, was followed by the offer of a “full scholarship” to the military academy.

West Point, however, has no record of Carson applying, much less being extended admission.

Read more: Exclusive: Carson claimed West Point 'scholarship' but never applied - POLITICONot only that, but WP does not offer scholarships.

This, along with his BS story about the robbery he faced should get him plenty of support from rank and file republicans who want to pretend they're not racist. Which is the only reason to support someone who tells such bold-faced lies.

And to think that this might all be just distractions waiting for Jeb Bush to get traction. Bush still being the preferred nominee by the repuglican establishment, or more precisely, the Koch brothers.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Oh, come on. Don't blame his lying on the Christian thing. It is well known that Politicians are liars. That is all the correlation one needs.

And, I will bet you that his poll numbers go up next week, in spite of his tall tales, and history revisions.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1489199 wrote: Oh, come on. Don't blame his lying on the Christian thing. It is well known that Politicians are liars. That is all the correlation one needs.That's difficult to say since I don;t think we've ever had an atheist run.

LarsMac;1489199 wrote: And, I will bet you that his poll numbers go up next week, in spite of his tall tales, and history revisions.I posted as much also.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1489200 wrote: That's difficult to say since I don;t think we've ever had an atheist run.

Think you are right, as far as the presidential office, but there have been Atheist run for, and get elected to other offices. At least they claimed to be Atheists, but then we have to fall back to rule#1. Politicians are liars.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1489204 wrote: Think you are right, as far as the presidential office, but there have been Atheist run for, and get elected to other offices. At least they claimed to be Atheists, but then we have to fall back to rule#1. Politicians are liars.That's your rule one.

What's your qualifier, that anyone who has ever run for public office is a fundamental Liar, or is it that anyone who has won a public election is a fundamental liar? Because I'd dispute both.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1489208 wrote: That's your rule one.
Only for politics

Ahso!;1489208 wrote: What's your qualifier, that anyone who has ever run for public office is a fundamental Liar, or is it that anyone who has won a public election is a fundamental liar? Because I'd dispute both.

So, then, show me evidence to the contrary.

But, no, I don't claim that everyone who runs for public office is a fundamental liar. Nor that everyone who has won an election is.

But the very act of pursuing elected office tends to force one into compromises, and as one advances up the ladder, the compromises build.

The blanket statement I made is no more an absolute truth than the one you made in your opening statement.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1489209 wrote: Only for politics

So, then, show me evidence to the contrary.

But, no, I don't claim that everyone who runs for public office is a fundamental liar. Nor that everyone who has won an election is.

But the very act of pursuing elected office tends to force one into compromises, and as one advances up the ladder, the compromises build.You're conflating lying with compromise. So rule#1 isn't a rule at all, it's convenient to say during political discussions with a rubber meaning.

LarsMac;1489209 wrote: The blanket statement I made is no more an absolute truth than the one you made in your opening statement.My statement was not blanket, it applied to Carson alone. What I said was that it should not surpise anyone that Carson lies since his personal belief system is an obvious lie as well.

My guess would be that everyone has at some point lied, or told a non-truth. My point is that because a person is religious or a believer in God that doesn't mean they don't lie, in fact that in itself should raise red flags.

I'll point out two political choices for national politics, both christian, who were truthful enough to not be subject to your rule; they would be Jimmy Carter and Henry A Wallace. Now, this does not mean that I agree with everything either man did during their careers, but they both were very high on the personal integrity scale.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Hello Ahso!, nice to hear from you again.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Ahso!;1489212 wrote: My point is that because a person is religious or a believer in God that doesn't mean they don't lie, in fact that in itself should raise red flags.

I don't know why that would raise a red flag. Faith in the unproven is not the same as lying. For example, I believe there is life elsewhere in the Universe. It hasn't been proven, but that doesn't necessarily make me a liar.
spot

Post by spot »

Saint_;1489214 wrote: I believe there is life elsewhere in the Universe.
Too vague, you have to narrow it down.

I spent ages wondering whether this thread was about Johnny Carson, Willie Carson or Frank Carson. It turns out to be someone I didn't know existed.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot;1489215 wrote: Too vague, you have to narrow it down.

I spent ages wondering whether this thread was about Johnny Carson, Willie Carson or Frank Carson. It turns out to be someone I didn't know existed.

Then you are Lucky. Personally, I think Ben Carson is mentally ill.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1489215 wrote: Too vague, you have to narrow it down.

Ok, I believe there is carbon-based life in other solar systems in our galaxy that are not too near the Galactic Core and containing Earth-like planets within the life zone around their respective suns. Oh, and possibly on Europa below the ice crust.

From

Top 10 Quotes That Prove Neurosurgeon Ben Carson Doesn’t Have The Brain To Be President

AUTHOR: STEPHEN D FOSTER JR NOVEMBER 15, 2014 12:12 PM

Dr. Ben Carson is now a Republican candidate for the presidency. With that, comes the media scrutiny that includes reviewing his past remarks and making him answer for them. As a neurosurgeon, Carson is no doubt brilliant. But his various statements during his foray into the world of politics demonstrate that he doesn’t have the brain necessary to run the country as president.

1. “There comes a time when people with values simply have to stand up. Think about Nazi Germany. Most of those people did not believe in what Hitler was doing. But did they speak up? Did they stand up for what they believe in? They did not, and you saw what happened.”

~Ben Carson, comparing Democrats to Nazis, January 2014.

2. “I mean, [America is] very much like Nazi Germany. And I know you’re not supposed to say ‘Nazi Germany,’ but I don’t care about political correctness. You know, you had a government using its tools to intimidate the population. We now live in a society where people are afraid to say what they actually believe.”

~Ben Carson, telling Breitbart News how America is like Nazi Germany because of liberals, March 2014.

3. “ObamaCare is the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery. In a way, it is slavery, because it is making all of us subservient to the government.”

~Ben Carson, comparing healthcare to slavery during the Values Voter Summit, October 2013.

4. “Because 9/11 is an isolated incident. Things that are isolated issues as opposed to things that fundamentally change the United Sates of America and shift power from the people to the government. That is a huge shift. You have to take a long-term look at something that fundamentally changes the power structure of America.”

~Ben Carson, claiming ObamaCare is worse than the 9/11 terrorist attacks that killed 3,000 Americans, June 2014.

5. “I think what’s happening with the veterans is a gift from God to show us what happens when you take layers and layers of bureaucracy and place them between the patients and the health care provider. And if we can’t get it right, with the relatively small number of veterans, how in the world are you going to do it with the entire population?”

~Ben Carson, thanking God for dead soldiers in an attack on ObamaCare amid the Veteran’s Affairs military healthcare scandal in which veterans died waiting for medical care, Memorial Day Weekend 2014.

6. “My thoughts are that marriage is between a man and a woman. It’s a well-established, fundamental pillar of society, and no group — be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality — it doesn’t matter what they are — they don’t get to change the definition.”

~Ben Carson, comparing same-sex marriage to bestiality and pedophilia, April 2013.

7. “Certainly there’s the potential because you have to recognize that we have a rapidly increasing national debt, a very unstable financial foundation, and you have all these things going on like the ISIS crisis that could very rapidly change things that are going on in our nation. And unless we begin to deal with these things in a comprehensive way and in a logical way there is no telling what could happen in just a couple of years.”

~Ben Carson, telling Fox News that President Obama might declare martial law and cancel the 2016 Election so he can continue being president, September 2014.

8. “I think most people when they finish that course, they’d be ready to go sign up for ISIS.”

~Ben Carson, claiming the AP History curriculum will cause students who learn about civil disobedience in this country to join a violent terrorist group, September 2014.

9. “Anyone caught involved in voter fraud should be immediately deported and have his citizenship revoked.”

~Ben Carson, advocating for stripping non-citizens of their non-existant American citizenship if they are caught voting, November 2014. NOTE: quote was later removed from Carson’s WND column.

10. “So if there were a container of contaminated urine, and somehow it managed to find its way to someplace a lot of damage could be done. Someone comes up to a lab worker. He knows he’s got the urine. ‘How would you like to have a million dollars?’ … Such things have been known to happen.”

~Ben Carson, fearmongering over Ebola by saying it could be used a biological weapon even though infectious disease experts disagree, August 2014.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Saint_;1489214 wrote: I don't know why that would raise a red flag. Faith in the unproven is not the same as lying. For example, I believe there is life elsewhere in the Universe. It hasn't been proven, but that doesn't necessarily make me a liar.Hi Saint!

The currency value here on earth, and, more specifically, in the US, that one's belief in life elsewhere in the Universe as opposed to the currency value of being a monotheist Christian (knowing God) in the US is minuscule, if it even registers at all. The knowing cancels out faith. If one (or all) were to properly judge faith then religious belief or God would have no place in American politics, indeed in the public arena at all and would remain confined to personal or small group gatherings.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1489212 wrote:

My statement was not blanket, it applied to Carson alone. What I said was that it should not surpise anyone that Carson lies since his personal belief system is an obvious lie as well.

My guess would be that everyone has at some point lied, or told a non-truth. My point is that because a person is religious or a believer in God that doesn't mean they don't lie, in fact that in itself should raise red flags.

Your statement: "That should not surprise anyone though because he's a monotheistic christian who claims he knows someone who doesn't exist - that, of course, being God."

Directly Implies that all "Monotheistic Christians" (are there any other kinds of Christians?) are, like Dr Carson, expected to be liars. It is fairly easy to deduce from that: All Christians - Well, at least all the Monotheistic ones, are liars.

That is no more of a reach than my "All Politicians are liars."

Ahso!;1489212 wrote:

I'll point out two political choices for national politics, both christian, who were truthful enough to not be subject to your rule; they would be Jimmy Carter and Henry A Wallace. Now, this does not mean that I agree with everything either man did during their careers, but they both were very high on the personal integrity scale.

I have little knowledge of Mr Wallace, but I tend to agree with you on the integrity of Mr Carter. But I would suggest that he is not, and never really was a politician, in spite of his record of seeking the offices of State Governor of Georgia, and the President of the United States.

Or perhaps we can fall back on the age old dodge that he is the exception that proofs the rule. Could these two gentlemen be the exception to both our generizations?

Hope Springs...

And to be clear, nothing I have posted here should in any way be construed to be a defense of Dr Carson. He seems to be from a far different plane of existence than anyone else I have met in this galaxy.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1489231 wrote: Your statement: "That should not surprise anyone though because he's a monotheistic christian who claims he knows someone who doesn't exist - that, of course, being God."

Directly Implies that all "Monotheistic Christians" (are there any other kinds of Christians?) are, like Dr Carson, expected to be liars. It is fairly easy to deduce from that: All Christians - Well, at least all the Monotheistic ones, are liars.

That is no more of a reach than my "All Politicians are liars."No, you're wrong. It is a blatant lie to say they know God because there is no God to know (remember, God is a metaphor?). MTCs who make that claims are lying, point blank. Now, if all politicians are MTCs then I'd agree with your statement - however, barring that, I can't.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1489233 wrote: No, you're wrong. It is a blatant lie to say they know God because there is no God to know (remember, God is a metaphor?). MTCs who make that claims are lying, point blank. Now, if all politicians are MTCs then I'd agree with your statement - however, barring that, I can't.

Lying is to utter a falsehood with intent to deceive. If someone believes what they are saying, they are not lying. They may be mistaken, they may be misinformed, they may be deluded, but they are not lying.

And if there truly is no God, then we believers may be deluded, but speaking what we believe to be true is not lying.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Ahso!;1489233 wrote: No, you're wrong. It is a blatant lie to say they know God because there is no God to know (remember, God is a metaphor?). MTCs who make that claims are lying, point blank. Now, if all politicians are MTCs then I'd agree with your statement - however, barring that, I can't.

They may be mistaken or delusional they're not lying if they truly believe what they are saying. It becomes an issue when their faith leads them to do things or lie to get other people to do things because they think god is telling them what to do. Carson probab ly believed he did have a scholarship what is surprising perhaps is that people believed him you'd think someone would have checked. Like spoot I have never actually heard of him till now.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Re: Tude: "What difference does it make?" I will provide you with the full statement, in context, of what Senator & Secretary Clinton actually said.

Clinton: "With all due respect, the fact is we had four dead Americans. Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night who decided that they’d they go kill some Americans? What difference at this point does it make? It is our job to figure out what happened and do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again, Senator. Now, honestly, I will do my best to answer your questions about this, but the fact is that people were trying in real time to get to the best information. The IC has a process, I understand, going with the other committees to explain how these talking points came out. But you know, to be clear, it is, from my perspective, less important today looking backwards as to why these militants decided they did it than to find them and bring them to justice, and then maybe we’ll figure out what was going on in the meantime."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... does-it-m/

It makes a Big Difference, that's what.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1489259 wrote: Re: Tude: "What difference does it make?" I will provide you with the full statement, in context, of what Senator & Secretary Clinton actually said.

Clinton: "With all due respect, the fact is we had four dead Americans. Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night who decided that they’d they go kill some Americans? What difference at this point does it make? It is our job to figure out what happened and do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again, Senator. Now, honestly, I will do my best to answer your questions about this, but the fact is that people were trying in real time to get to the best information. The IC has a process, I understand, going with the other committees to explain how these talking points came out. But you know, to be clear, it is, from my perspective, less important today looking backwards as to why these militants decided they did it than to find them and bring them to justice, and then maybe we’ll figure out what was going on in the meantime."

In Context: Hillary Clinton's 'What difference does it make' comment | PolitiFact

It makes a Big Difference, that's what.

It does make a difference when those responsible for the deaths lied.

Go to minute 2:10

Perpetuating the Obama lie over the caskets of our representatives.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1489263 wrote: It does make a difference when those responsible for the deaths lied.

That was the information at the time. I watched the tape & found nothing out of line, sorry that bothers you.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

tude dog;1489263 wrote: It does make a difference when those responsible for the deaths lied.

I'm curious now......Why do you think that Obama has lied,TD?
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1489301 wrote: That was the information at the time. I watched the tape & found nothing out of line, sorry that bothers you.

What bothers me are the lies.

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I take nothing that Ben Carson says seriously; I think, although I have no medical degree as he does, that he is a dangerous psychopath. Pyramids, built by Joseph to store grain is an example of delusion. He has nothing to say to me that I would listen to.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1489360 wrote: I take nothing that Ben Carson says seriously; I think, although I have no medical degree as he does, that he is a dangerous psychopath. Pyramids, built by Joseph to store grain is an example of delusion. He has nothing to say to me that I would listen to.

Well.

What does that do with West Point?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1489361 wrote: Well.

What does that do with West Point?

EVERYTHING. He's a lunatic.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1489361 wrote: Well.

What does that do with West Point?What does Hillary Clinton and Bengazi have to do with Carson and West Point?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahso!;1489364 wrote: What does Hillary Clinton and Bengazi have to do with Carson and West Point?

:yh_wait

:yh_think

:yh_clap

:yh_peace
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I suppose it's a bit late to point this out, but Dr Carson did not actually say that he got a scholarship at West Point.

What he said was that the General whom he met during an ROTC dinner function, told him they he could probably help him get a scholarship at West Point. And yes, West Point does not actually call it a scholarship, but they pay enough salary to cadets to pay for all their expenses and tuition. The word "Scholarship" has been used to describe it.I am sure he would have taken better notes back then if he thought he might be writing a book about it several decades later.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Benghazi night call between Clinton and Obama withheld, documents show

It had previously been disclosed that Clinton and Obama spoke the night of the terror attacks. But the documents offer additional information about the timing of the call -- after the initial attack on the U.S. consulate, but before the second wave where mortars hit the nearby CIA annex and killed former Navy SEALs Ty Woods and Glen Doherty.

The contents of the call, however, are being withheld, not because the information is classified but because the administration claims they represent internal deliberations about the 2012 terror assault.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

As I understand it, in his book he says he was "offered" a scholarship and refused it. When pressed it gradually changed to it being a casual conversation. The point being that it's highly doubtful the ROTC person in question would have used the term "scholarship" in his conversation.

Carson's accounts of so many personal accounts of himself have become so questionable that just about anything he says lacks credibility. Add to that the fact that the man only admits his faults after being pressed. He's dishonest, that's all there is to it.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1489395 wrote: Benghazi night call between Clinton and Obama withheld, documents showI'll say this because I don't expect any moderators to.

You're only embarrassing yourself and showing your hypocrisy. You're intentionally derailing the thread, and we all know it because you accused another poster of doing just that. Children behave like this when they don't get their way. You're upset that I won't show you the Rubio contradictions. Grow up!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Anyone remember this?

I was going to save it for later but,

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Oh, DARN. Another politician caught with their imagination running wild.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1489404 wrote: Oh, DARN. Another politician caught with their imagination running wild.

Oh no, not just any other politician. We are talking of the Queen, heir apparent to the Presidency.

Clinton, ya know?

I mean really, who has the huevos to think of such a story? How just plain stupid was that?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1489301 wrote: That was the information at the time. I watched the tape & found nothing out of line, sorry that bothers you.

Another Clinton insult now just rolls off the shoulder. Falls to the ground to throw in her face.

http://benghazi.house.gov/sites/republi ... b%2050.pdf

In an email to her daughter, who was using the pseudonym Diane Reynolds, the night of the Benghazi attack, Mrs. Clinton wrote,”Two of our officers were killed in Benghazi by an Al Queda-like group.”

The night of the attack, according to the new documents, Mrs. Clinton told the prime minister of Libya that the terror group “Ansar al-Sharia is claiming responsibility.”

Within twenty-four hours, according to another new document, Mrs. Clinton advised the prime minister of Egypt,”We know that the attack in Libya had nothing to do with the film. It was a planned attack — not a protest.”

Judicial Watch
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1489410 wrote: Oh no, not just any other politician. We are talking of the Queen, heir apparent to the Presidency.

Heir apparent. Like GW or John Quincy, or the presumption of Jeb?

Anywho, since you would never vote for her, I don't care what you think about her. No interest to moi.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1489412 wrote: Heir apparent. Like GW or John Quincy, or the presumption of Jeb?

Anywho, since you would never vote for her, I don't care what you think about her. No interest to moi.

That's OK

I just like slamming the witch and her boss.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1489415 wrote: That's OK

I just like slamming the witch and her boss.

Is that your hobby?

eta--are you sure it's Bill who is the boss?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1489416 wrote: Is that your hobby?

Not so much a hobby.

AnneBoleyn;1489416 wrote: eta--are you sure it's Bill who is the boss?

Oh no.

That stain in the White House who gave her that coush job. The very one with whitch she concocted that cock and bull story to cover up the incompetence which led to the murders of our people.

Return to “Current Political Events”