I, For One, Welcome Our New Robotic Overlords

Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Autonomous cars, robo-butlers, robotic checkout lanes. I'm okay with all of it. I'd personally enjoy reading sleeping or watching a movie instead of driving. Especially on long trips.

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Not me. I really enjoy driving. Well, except when I get back East and have to negotiate all the city traffic. Then I could go for having the car do the work.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

The last time I travelled to Southern California and found myself on that giant mess called the LA freeway system I could easily envision a time in the not so distant future when only vehicles in autonomous mode would be allowed onto certain roads. Removing the ego from merging and lane changing, removing the factor of distracted drivers on their cell phones, and removing the sudden overreactions of some drivers would allow a greater throughput at a higher average speed than the current mess.

It might be the only way to fix the problems inherent in that system.

But I would really like to be able to switch of autonomous mode when driving the back roads, far from the cities, and just enjoy the driving experience. But I would mind too much if the vehicle would alert me that there was a moose loitering in the middle of the road around the next corner.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I can see a time when you drive up to the entrance ramp to a freeway, or interstate highway, and the car "logs in" to the highway, and you let go of the controls, and enjoy the ride, read a book, talk on the phone, or whatever, because you already programmed the destination in the car, and it will get you there.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I think you are all talking about the........................train
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1487191 wrote: I think you are all talking about the........................train

Sorry, wherever I wrote "car" read "automobile"
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I hope Google and the other developers are working on a new type of firewall to provide absolute isolation of the computer handling the driving from the computers handling entertainment, ac/heating, engine maintenance, etc. The current technology has proven entirely inadequate and without an improvement the door is open for disaster in self driving vehicles.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

LarsMac;1487190 wrote: I can see a time when you drive up to the entrance ramp to a freeway, or interstate highway, and the car "logs in" to the highway, and you let go of the controls, and enjoy the ride, read a book, talk on the phone, or whatever, because you already programmed the destination in the car, and it will get you there.

Until there's a software failure....
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Smaug;1487257 wrote: Until there's a software failure....
I think there's far more likelihood of a 'software' failure with a human than with a computer. Computers don't get bored. Computers don't drink, or take drugs. Computers don't have egos or get road rage. They're quite happy to get on with it & do what they're told.

One little thing I noticed about the video that quite impressed me - where the road surface was very smooth & wet, the wheel skidded a few times, but was instantly compensated for. I doubt a human could manage things that efficiently.

As for the L.A. Freeway - I know what you mean. I went on there as a passenger when I was over there - real scary. What seemed even more alien to me (as a Brit, used to UK road rules) was that they don't have the same Lane rules as we do. In the UK, no matter how many lanes a road has, there is only 1 Driving Lane (the Nearside one - or, to us, the one on the left). All the others are Overtaking Lanes. In L.A. (US as a whole?) there doesn't seem to be any such rule. You just get into a lane & stay there. Not very practical when you need to take a turn off, and there's traffic in all the other lanes between you and the slip road.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

One little thing I noticed about the video that quite impressed me - where the road surface was very smooth & wet, the wheel skidded a few times, but was instantly compensated for. I doubt a human could manage things that efficiently.

Maybe you haven't raced fast go-karts on slick tyres in wet weather? It's like rally driving crossed with Japanese 'drift-racing'!!

What you say about computer control may well be true, but I prefer to do things 'the old-fashioned way'!

If there was a software failure, it would probably only happen once....
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

If you get a drunk on the Motorway, it would probably only happen once.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1487403 wrote: If you get a drunk on the Motorway, it would probably only happen once.

Only too true, FourPart! I shan't worry about that, though, as I don't drink and drive. Not a good combination, though there are others that would probably disagree, given the state of some drivers....

It could be a good idea if you wanted a few drinks, but didn't want to drive the vehicle. The law would probably include the edict that any driver, regardless of weather the computer was driving, must still be capable of driving legally, within the current limit for alcoholic consumption. That would render CPU control rather pointless on this particular score.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

There are already Driverless Buses in operation in Amusement Parks. True, they only go very slowly, but they have pedestrians all around, so the potential for the technological side of things is beyond doubt.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I can go with that... Up to a point. This technology needs many years of thorough testing first before being unleashed on the road. I certainly don't relish the thought of not being in control of a vehicle because some software is driving....Thunderstorms can play havoc with CPU's and software, as can short-circuits...

And 'hackers'.

I prefer 'manual drive.' (it's hacker proof):wah:
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Smaug;1487429 wrote: I can go with that... Up to a point. This technology needs many years of thorough testing first before being unleashed on the road. I certainly don't relish the thought of not being in control of a vehicle because some software is driving....Thunderstorms can play havoc with CPU's and software, as can short-circuits...

And 'hackers'.

I prefer 'manual drive.' (it's hacker proof):wah:
So why are you using a computer instead of an abacus?

Return to “Electronic Gadgets Galore”