Windows 10

Snowfire

Windows 10

Post by Snowfire »

I know many of you are technically competent to be running some ubongo or spontex but have anybody upgraded to windows 10 yet ?

I have but I haven't had time to put it to test. I'm still running it in.

Google Chrome stopped working so I'll have to uninstall/reinstall that.

Nothing yet to excite my loins.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Windows 10

Post by Bruv »

Snowfire;1483735 wrote: I know many of you are technically competent to be running some ubongo or spontex but have anybody upgraded to windows 10 yet ?

I have but I haven't had time to put it to test. I'm still running it in.

Google Chrome stopped working so I'll have to uninstall/reinstall that.

Nothing yet to excite my loins.

*Sigh*......it's Ubuntu and spontex is a trade name for cleaning materials (I think)

There is not a lot of technical ability to using an Open Source Operating system.....honestly, some are harder than others obviously........and it's free.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snowfire

Windows 10

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1483736 wrote: *Sigh*......it's Ubuntu and spontex is a trade name for cleaning materials (I think)

There is not a lot of technical ability to using an Open Source Operating system.....honestly, some are harder than others obviously........and it's free.

I was just being facetious. I know that.

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Windows 10

Post by Bruv »

Snowfire;1483738 wrote: I was just being facetious. I know that.

I knew that too................I'm bored.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Windows 10

Post by gmc »

Not yet, got access to a free upgrade if that is the right word. Got an old computer some day I will get round to trying ubuntu
spot

Windows 10

Post by spot »

I have, oddly and temporarily, two Microsoft® Windows® installations in the Coffee Room which invited me to apply for 10 but last time I looked I'd not been provided with a download link and I'm spending my limited abilities today on working out how to use a cheap network server I picked up a few days back. Backups and Shares are, in my opinion, the most arcane aspect of computing, have been since I first saw a computer and only get sillier as time goes on.

Next time I'm walking in that direction I'll see what the state of play is vis-a-vis 10, I feel obliged to see what it does.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Lon

Windows 10

Post by Lon »

Windows 10 downloaded to my laptop automatically on the 1st of August, I had signed up and reserved it several months ago. I like it better than the 8 that I had. I haven't yet had time to explore all the bells and whistles if there are any.
LarsMac

Windows 10

Post by LarsMac »

My gamer is telling me that my free Windows 10 is downloaded and ready, but I think I will try it on another unit, first.

My wife has 8.1 and has hated it. Well, she went from an old Dell Latitude wit XP, straight to a new laptop with 8. Obviously, I didn't really think THAT through.

I suppose I should test drive the thing before springing another change on her.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Windows 10

Post by Snowfire »

Well my experience so far is a little confusing.

On completion of the upgrade I started up Google Chrome. It's my preference. It loaded up but pages wouldn't show even after several attempts. I was left using Windows new replacement for Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge.

I decided that to use Chrome again, I would uninstall and install in again. Windows was unable to do this, saying that I should close the Chrome window, even though it wasn't running. I decided to use Revo uninstaller. Revo went through the process and uninstalled Chrome. I then downloaded and installed it afresh.

At the end of the install, it said that Google Chrome could not be installed as there was a version still running.

Its all very odd

I'm not fond of the new Edge and would prefer the browser I'm used to

Winston Churchill
spot

Windows 10

Post by spot »

This is useful reference material. I still haven't got a download of the install file though.

If you installed Windows 10 and like privacy, you checked the defaults, right? Oh dear • The Register
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Windows 10

Post by Snowfire »

I seem to remember that the upgrade stated that any defaults could be changed at a later date. I will try and discover how to do that.

Incidentally, Firefox has the same problems. The Browser window opens but pages wont load.

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Windows 10

Post by Snowfire »

I have just read.....

If you were using Chrome in Windows 8.1 after upgrading to Windows 10 it will not work so just be aware ! To solve this issue, you can Download Google Chrome Canary (Version :46.0.2471.0) 64 Bit.

It seems to be a common problem

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Windows 10

Post by Snowfire »

OK. Got it working.

For future reference that might help others....

Go to Chrome icon on desktop.

Right click

Click on properties

You have the choice of unclicking compatibility for Windows 8.

If not, there is a compatibility troubleshooter. ...thats what worked for me

Same process for Mozilla Firefox

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Windows 10

Post by Snowfire »

Snowfire;1483801 wrote: OK. Got it working.

For future reference that might help others....

Go to Chrome icon on desktop.

Right click

Click on properties

You have the choice of unclicking compatibility for Windows 8.

If not, there is a compatibility troubleshooter. ...thats what worked for me

It was suggested on certain sites that one should download Google Canary, the new 64 bit version of Chrome but as that is still in development stage that would be for the eyes-wide-open of you and not the knuckle draggers such as me

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Windows 10

Post by LarsMac »

Snowfire;1483802 wrote: It was suggested on certain sites that one should download Google Canary, the new 64 bit version of Chrome but as that is still in development stage that would be for the eyes-wide-open of you and not the knuckle draggers such as me

I was just looking at the site for canary.

They are pretty specific.

Not for the faint of heart

Canary is designed for developers and early adopters, and can be prone to breakage.
Nightly updates

Canary changes and gets new features almost every day.

I just installed it on this PC. Will see how it goes.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Windows 10

Post by LarsMac »

Also, don't know if you have the same kind of issue over your way, but the the newest scam to hit the net seems to be fake Windows ten install Emails

Fake Windows 10 Update Email Spotted With Ransomware - Maximum PC
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Windows 10

Post by Snowfire »

Well, first time I use the laptop this morning and both Chrome and Firefox are unresponsive. Using Edge is ok but my preference would be Chrome. It has my bookmarks, my quick links and it looks and feels far better than Microsoft Edge.

Back to square one in finding out what the problem is.

I'm tending toward changing back to Windows 8....if that's possible

Winston Churchill
spot

Windows 10

Post by spot »

I ran the update a couple of hours ago on one of my micro-boxes. I'm assuming it will take days to bed in, like Windows 2000 and XP and Vista and 7 and 8 and 8.1 all did. I appear to have no control at all on forcing a Windows Update to begin, which means I just have to leave it there indefinitely. The box feels astonishingly slow but again I assume that's just a lot of background work it has to get through. I'm going to leave it alone and see where it's got to every few hours.

I did go into the Privacy section of the Control Panel and turned off every damned default Yes in sight. In a week or two I'll google Harden Windows 10 and see where that takes me.

The "astonishingly slow" bit might be out-of-date drivers, of course. I've no idea yet how Windows 10 deals with driver availability.
LarsMac

Windows 10

Post by LarsMac »

Snowfire;1483832 wrote: Well, first time I use the laptop this morning and both Chrome and Firefox are unresponsive. Using Edge is ok but my preference would be Chrome. It has my bookmarks, my quick links and it looks and feels far better than Microsoft Edge.

Back to square one in finding out what the problem is.

I'm tending toward changing back to Windows 8....if that's possible

Well, you only have 30 days from when you install 10, to back it out, it seems.

And I do hope you backed everything up that you intended to keep, before you started the update.

Change your mind about Windows 10? Here's how you can roll back - CNET
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Windows 10

Post by Snowfire »

LarsMac;1483838 wrote: Well, you only have 30 days from when you install 10, to back it out, it seems.

And I do hope you backed everything up that you intended to keep, before you started the update.

Change your mind about Windows 10? Here's how you can roll back - CNET

Thanks. Things have been awful today. Lost browsers, hanging pages, pages crashing. touch pad going haywire and uncontrollable ( That was odd. There was a second or two's delay. Almost like watching a remote takeover.) I decided to revert back to Windows 8.1 and so far everything is back to normal.

I have no idea Windows 10 was so bad

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Windows 10

Post by LarsMac »

Snowfire;1483845 wrote: Thanks. Things have been awful today. Lost browsers, hanging pages, pages crashing. touch pad going haywire and uncontrollable ( That was odd. There was a second or two's delay. Almost like watching a remote takeover.) I decided to revert back to Windows 8.1 and so far everything is back to normal.

I have no idea Windows 10 was so bad

May I ask, on what type of pc you had installed it?
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Windows 10

Post by Snowfire »

LarsMac;1483849 wrote: May I ask, on what type of pc you had installed it?

It was on a brand new laptop. only an Acer but a high spec one. It came with Windows 8.1 and has performed perfectly well up until the upgrade. Now I'm back on 8.1 everything is back to normal.

The upgrade was performed via the link/reminder on the desktop

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Windows 10

Post by LarsMac »

Snowfire;1483850 wrote: It was on a brand new laptop. only an Acer but a high spec one. It came with Windows 8.1 and has performed perfectly well up until the upgrade. Now I'm back on 8.1 everything is back to normal.

The upgrade was performed via the link/reminder on the desktop

Just wondering.

That is enough to squelch my notion of upgrading the wife's laptop (Toshiba w/ 8.1).

Too many variables with drivers and such.

I have a Core 2 Duo HP touch that has 7 on it. Think I'll start with that.
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Windows 10

Post by Snowfire »

LarsMac;1483852 wrote: Just wondering.

That is enough to squelch my notion of upgrading the wife's laptop (Toshiba w/ 8.1).

Too many variables with drivers and such.

I have a Core 2 Duo HP touch that has 7 on it. Think I'll start with that.

My son has had no problems at all thus far.

I'm sure I'm missing out on some subtle delights and some amazing extras and goodies.

Microsoft Edge isn't one of them.

I'm happy to stick with 8.1, for a while at least

Winston Churchill
spot

Windows 10

Post by spot »

The only reason I've put 10 on is to escape as far as possible from the next expiry date for these two machines I've put together, I just want them stable and available for the long term.

My reaction so far is that there's a delay between clicking and doing which wasn't there under either 7 or 8.1, one machine having come from each. I've no idea what extra work 10 is insisting on doing before obeying a command, but there's an issue and I'd like to iron it out.

The other messy aspect is the appearance of the UI - we've reverted to the flat unshadowed 2D land of pre-Aero. I always turned Aero off, mind you, but the 2D appearance I created used far smaller components than 10 does. What 10 offers is ungainly by comparison, takes up lots of my screen to no purpose, there are graphics designers in this world who should be demoted to vending machine repairmen where they can do less harm.
Snowfire

Windows 10

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1483798 wrote: This is useful reference material. I still haven't got a download of the install file though.

If you installed Windows 10 and like privacy, you checked the defaults, right? Oh dear • The Register

This article also highlights a setting that microsoft has installed as a Windows 10 default. It effectively uses your bandwidth as part of a peer to peer network to help others receive their Windows 10

Cheeky buggers !

Sadly, Windows 10 Is Stealing Your Bandwidth 'By Default' — Disable It Immediately

This helps you turn the feature off and get your bandwidth back

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Windows 10

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1484124 wrote: This article also highlights a setting that microsoft has installed as a Windows 10 default. It effectively uses your bandwidth as part of a peer to peer network to help others receive their Windows 10

Cheeky buggers !

Sadly, Windows 10 Is Stealing Your Bandwidth 'By Default' — Disable It Immediately

This helps you turn the feature off and get your bandwidth back

Channel 4 tried this when 4od first started with catastrophic results - one can only hope that Micro$oft's attempt goes the same way
LarsMac

Windows 10

Post by LarsMac »

I've yet to install the thing. The PC I had earmarked seems to have a problem resulting from the grandson de-installing IE 9 at some point, and doing a rather sloppy job of it.

I am stuck with IE 9 not working very well, and IE 11 won't complete the install, so there is no IE actually functioning.

Apparently the win 10 DL really wants to use Internet Explorer functionality to implement the upgrade process.

I have now managed to tweak the registry to screw things up even better.

I am about to format the HDD and install a Linux VM. I think I am about finished with MS
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Windows 10

Post by LarsMac »

I upgraded a Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. So far, it has been relatively smooth, except for one issue.

A couple of MMOs that I have been playing are not working.

On the one, the software installed fine, but I can never acquire a server list ti connect to. The second, it simply does not work. This one is probably the game developer's problem.

The PC, itself seems quite stable and all other functions seem fine.

The only drawback I have really found is that windows 10 license is attached to the Motherboard. so, once installed, it will only work on the specific PC.

I have another Win 7 Ultimate drive that I have moved about to different PCs in the past, with no problem. With Win 10, that is not an option.

It verifies the MOBO s/n when it boots.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Windows 10

Post by FourPart »

I upgraded to W10. It was a nightmare. Basically it was W8 Lite.

I decided I would give it a fair chance. Only to find that none of my devices worked any more & up to date drivers were not available. My Web Mail on TalkTalk wouldn't work, neither would the plugins for viewing Melody Online Player files, or Scorch. My Live Mail went totally up the spout, and loads of my other programs wouldn't run any more.

Eventually I decided that enough was enough & reverted back to my W7 Home Premium. I then had further problems because the transition had screwed a whole load of other things & it has taken me weeks to get things back to as they should be.

MS has had a winning formula since the days of 3.1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
spot

Windows 10

Post by spot »

FourPart;1486842 wrote: MS has had a winning formula since the days of 3.1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm trying to remember. autoexec.bat and config.sys tailoring to maximize himem? I ended up with a thousand-page book called The Mother Of All Windows something. It's coming back to me. system.ini and win.ini tailoring to get... what did they call those driver addresses... irq9 on 230H using DMA? And you had to hand-balance them to get your sound card and network card contention sorted? And the only protocol was NetBIOS even if you wanted SPX/IPX so you could talk to Novell? And the whole Win32 patch just to be able to add a TCP/IP stack to see the Internet?

You enjoyed all that?

Gosh.

I remember Word 6.0 too, and it was such a can of worms.
FourPart

Windows 10

Post by FourPart »

spot;1486850 wrote: I'm trying to remember. autoexec.bat and config.sys tailoring to maximize himem? I ended up with a thousand-page book called The Mother Of All Windows something. It's coming back to me. system.ini and win.ini tailoring to get... what did they call those driver addresses... irq9 on 230H using DMA? And you had to hand-balance them to get your sound card and network card contention sorted? And the only protocol was NetBIOS even if you wanted SPX/IPX so you could talk to Novell? And the whole Win32 patch just to be able to add a TCP/IP stack to see the Internet?

You enjoyed all that?

Gosh.

I remember Word 6.0 too, and it was such a can of worms.
Bit of a step up from the predecessor Apple Word Processor (Green Screen), where everything had to be done in full HTML.
spot

Windows 10

Post by spot »

FourPart;1486851 wrote: Bit of a step up from the predecessor Apple Word Processor (Green Screen), where everything had to be done in full HTML.

I seem to remember several word processor programs on the only Apple I used back in the 80s, the Apple II. Easywriter was the main one, Apple Writer comes to mind. I used them until the BBC B came up with View when I ran the columns in Practical Computing for the two machines - I got to review the pre-release View and it was very different to what I'd been used to at the time, which was vi on Unix. The TRS-80 had a different approach called something like Electric Pencil. Of all of them, vi is the only one I still use regularly. And Wordstar, off the IBM PC - that ran on the Apple II too.

I just googled John Wellsman who wrote the Apple Pie column in Practical Computing before I did, and there's not a word I can find. He had a shop on the Caledonian Road not far from where I lived. He suggested me to Jack Schofield, the then editor, when running short of time. I went to Sutton to introduce myself and that was that. It's not a necessary paragraph, this, but I wanted to hang those search terms onto the post in case anyone else ever searches for them.
FourPart

Windows 10

Post by FourPart »

spot;1486854 wrote: I seem to remember several word processor programs on the only Apple I used back in the 80s, the Apple II. Easywriter was the main one, Apple Writer comes to mind. I used them until the BBC B came up with View when I ran the columns in Practical Computing for the two machines - I got to review the pre-release View and it was very different to what I'd been used to at the time, which was vi on Unix. The TRS-80 had a different approach called something like Electric Pencil. Of all of them, vi is the only one I still use regularly. And Wordstar, off the IBM PC - that ran on the Apple II too.

I just googled John Wellsman who wrote the Apple Pie column in Practical Computing before I did, and there's not a word I can find. He had a shop on the Caledonian Road not far from where I lived. He suggested me to Jack Schofield, the then editor, when running short of time. I went to Sutton to introduce myself and that was that. It's not a necessary paragraph, this, but I wanted to hang those search terms onto the post in case anyone else ever searches for them.

As a writer I don't suppose it could be this one could it? Totally different subject matter, but who knows...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... dddunco-20
spot

Windows 10

Post by spot »

That appears to be a copy of "Panorama Of London, 1749: From An Original Engraving Made By The Buck Brothers In 1749", a book of which I had so far not heard.
LarsMac

Windows 10

Post by LarsMac »

LarsMac;1486764 wrote: I upgraded a Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. So far, it has been relatively smooth, except for one issue.

A couple of MMOs that I have been playing are not working.

On the one, the software installed fine, but I can never acquire a server list ti connect to. The second, it simply does not work. This one is probably the game developer's problem.

The PC, itself seems quite stable and all other functions seem fine.

The only drawback I have really found is that windows 10 license is attached to the Motherboard. so, once installed, it will only work on the specific PC.

I have another Win 7 Ultimate drive that I have moved about to different PCs in the past, with no problem. With Win 10, that is not an option.

It verifies the MOBO s/n when it boots.

Well, I pulled the HD with Win 10, and put it in the other machine, and as soon as I booted it up, I reverted to Windows 7.

Re-activated win 7, and everything works the way I expected it to. I can now refresh my win 10 upgrade request on this machine (This is actually the original machine this hard drive came from.)

I will pick up a new HD for that machine and clean install Win 10 on that machine. It will end up being a gift to one of the grandkids, or something.

This PC will probably remain Win 7 as long as it can still function as such.

Though, for now I need to work on recovering the photos and documents from the crashed hard drive.
- DH Lawrence
kazalala

Windows 10

Post by kazalala »

Im using windows 10 with Chrome and so far all seems ok. I like it better than win 8 :)

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
LarsMac

Windows 10

Post by LarsMac »

kazalala;1487040 wrote: Im using windows 10 with Chrome and so far all seems ok. I like it better than win 8 :)

Yep, I am sure that Windows 10 is an improvement over 8.

All in all, 10 looks pretty clean. There are some philosophical aspects that worry me. You should license agreement in detail. particularly the privacy statement.
- DH Lawrence
kazalala

Windows 10

Post by kazalala »

heres a couple of links to help with privacy settings for win 10 :)

http://www.ghacks.ne...ivacy-settings/

http://pxc-coding.co...tspy10-1-0-0-2/

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Computers Internet”