Jeremy Corbyn?

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

Dozens of UK economists - including a former Bank of England adviser - have indicated they are publicly backing the policies of Labour leadership candidate Jeremy Corbyn.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

Bruv;1484649 wrote: Dozens of UK economists - including a former Bank of England adviser - have indicated they are publicly backing the policies of Labour leadership candidate Jeremy Corbyn.

I don't think he can do any worse than Ed Moribund!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

The saying is "You couldn't make it up" ......but The Mail on Sunday can......HERE
spot

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by spot »

Links like that should come with a health warning. Not that I'm going to click it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

spot;1484689 wrote: Links like that should come with a health warning. Not that I'm going to click it.

How much of a warning do you need ?

But so you don't miss out........................here is the first paragraph......enjoy.

The night sky over London was thick with choking black smoke, but in the hellish glow of the flames rising from a myriad burning buildings, the rioters, looters and demonstrators fighting on the city streets could just make out the United Nations helicopter taking Jeremy Corbyn away from 10 Downing Street to his retirement cottage in Ireland.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

Jeremy's Policies are HERE for all to see.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

Corbyn suggested a discussion about the possibility of women only train carriages, look at the over reaction HERE
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

The solution is simple; better security, by trained railway security guards, or a police presence on later trains, NOT more CCTV cameras! A separate carriage,or a compartment carriage will not do much to reduce offences against women on it's own! Neither will a CCTV camera on it's own!The rail companies make 'squillions' off train-travellers every year;time to give something back, IMO!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

I think the conversation is more about packed commuter trains where personal space is a concern, but it would apply at any time of day or night.

And the point was more about the over reaction to Corbyn wanting a discussion with women's input about the subject, which I think is reasonable, whatever the outcome.
spot

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by spot »

I was in the quiet carriage when it arrived at Exeter. Three women lecturers boarded with seat reservations at the table behind me. They talked, loudly and without pause, often two or three at a time instead of taking turns like in a conversation, all the way to Bristol. They must have known they'd want to talk, they must have had prior experience of how loudly and penetratingly they talked, but they'd booked themselves into the quiet carriage - presumably so they could shriek and guffaw without interruption from other passengers. All the way to Bristol.

Had they been confined to a Women's Only carriage, I'd have paid their damned supplement just to put them in it. Conceited self-opinionated claptrap it was. And loud. In a quiet carriage. Pre-booked.

It may be, of course, that's I've got the wrong end of the stick here.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

spot;1484810 wrote: I was in the quiet carriage when it arrived at Exeter. Three women lecturers boarded with seat reservations at the table behind me. They talked, loudly and without pause, often two or three at a time instead of taking turns like in a conversation, all the way to Bristol. They must have known they'd want to talk, they must have had prior experience of how loudly and penetratingly they talked, but they'd booked themselves into the quiet carriage - presumably so they could shriek and guffaw without interruption from other passengers. All the way to Bristol.

Had they been confined to a Women's Only carriage, I'd have paid their damned supplement just to put them in it. Conceited self-opinionated claptrap it was. And loud. In a quiet carriage. Pre-booked.

It may be, of course, that's I've got the wrong end of the stick here.

No, I think that's definitely 'fair comment', to be honest. It was supposed to be a QUIET carriage!

Just like folk who talk incessantly on mobile phones at top volume on the bus/train, it can be uber-annoying!
spot

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by spot »

As for Women's safety on trains, the designation of Women's Only areas was essential when seats were compartmentalized and impossible to move away from, or shuttered by blinds.

No scheduled train in the UK today has any area of the train inaccessible to the other carriages, they're walk-through. The only carriage capable of being designated women-only would be that at either end, currently designated Quiet, in that those are the only ones where through passage isn't essential. It would have to be one or two entire carriages.

As for consulting the traveling public on present need, why on earth not, but I can't see it making train travel safer. If a carriage has only one passenger and she's female then it's only got one passenger and she's female. If it's the designated women's carriage then either it has to be kept locked all the time, in which case there's no buffet access for the occupants, or it's just as unsafe as it was when it wasn't labelled women only.
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

As I say, there needs to be increased security on trains, I.E. Security guards/railway police who make regular patrols along the length of the train in pairs. That would probably deter all but the 'die-hard' scumbags! Especially if the guards were railway police, possibly armed with tazers.
spot

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by spot »

Smaug;1484838 wrote: As I say, there needs to be increased security on trains, I.E. Security guards/railway police who make regular patrols along the length of the train in pairs. That would probably deter all but the 'die-hard' scumbags! Especially if the guards were railway police, possibly armed with tazers.

I fear that, on Inter-City trains at peak hours, the patrols would fail to leave the first carriage before arriving at their destination. Climbing over Heathrow-bound luggage and students sat in corridors isn't something you can pay a chap to do, even if he's a blistering pock-faced sadist with a Taser.
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

spot;1484841 wrote: I fear that, on Inter-City trains at peak hours, the patrols would fail to leave the first carriage before arriving at their destination. Climbing over Heathrow-bound luggage and students sat in corridors isn't something you can pay a chap to do, even if he's a blistering pock-faced sadist with a Taser.

They probably wouldn't be needed at the busier times, but when things go quiet, that's when scumbags usually strike. And it's often women travelling alone in empty carriages that are the targets. That's when I would organise the security patrols for.

Climbing over Heathrow-bound luggage and students sat in corridors isn't something you can pay a chap to do, even if he's a blistering pock-faced sadist with a Taser.

Love the description, Spot!
gmc

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by gmc »

Well it might get him the muslim vote then again is it the case that they don't let their women travel alone?

Daft idea - a women not using the women only carraige and is attacked will no doubt be viewed as asking for it.
spot

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by spot »

gmc;1484864 wrote: Well it might get him the muslim vote then again is it the case that they don't let their women travel alone?
You only need travel on a train in England to see lots of women from Islamic-centred cultures - I refer to dress here, I would never claim to know a person's professed belief from mere appearance unless he was an adult male wearing alb, stole, mitre and chasuble[1] and carrying a crozier - traveling unaccompanied.

[1:] or, on reflection, an ephod, though I'd be extremely surprised to see one traveling on Network Rail. Not many people wear ephods these days.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

I shall repeat......women commuting into major towns have to strap hang in crowded train carriages pressed body to body with strangers.

Women only carriages would stop some embarrassing situations.

Personal safety for male or female passengers outside rush hours is another issue.
spot

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by spot »

It even has a name. Frotting. I've no idea how I know that.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

spot;1484876 wrote: It even has a name. Frotting. I've no idea how I know that.

What has a name ?

And I thought I was clever ?

OK I Googled it.......HERE
spot

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by spot »

Bruv;1484878 wrote: What has a name ?

And I thought I was clever ?

"pressed body to body with strangers".
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

spot;1484879 wrote: "pressed body to body with strangers".

That's not the definition in my link.
spot

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by spot »

Bruv;1484880 wrote: That's not the definition in my link.

OED:

froterer n. Obs. one who rubs.

1607 J. Marston What you Will: I am his froterer or rubber in a Hot-house.
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

One of the many similar definitions I found, this one from the Free Dictionary..... Another I found in the Urban Dictionary defined it as 'Dry Humping', Grinding.

Frottage - definition of frottage by The Free Dictionary

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it....! :wah:
spot

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by spot »

Why anyone relies on non-professional sources I have no idea. You have a choice between unsupported opinion by people thinking they're funny on the one hand and evidence-based fact on the other.
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

spot;1484885 wrote: Why anyone relies on non-professional sources I have no idea. You have a choice between unsupported opinion by people thinking they're funny on the one hand and evidence-based fact on the other.

The definitions are nearly identical, so what's your problem, Spot? Or have you had a sense of humour bypass?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frottage

As you can clearly (I hope) see, it all involves rubbing,even the artistic definition.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

Language evolves, new words are created, old word's meaning's change.

'Bad' these days means good.

'Buff' means well built.

'Fit' means attractive.
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

Let's not forget 'reem', whatever that means....:confused:
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

Smaug;1484897 wrote: Let's not forget 'reem', whatever that means....:confused:

I had managed to avoid that so far......................now you and Google have spoilt my day.(Spoilt gets flagged as spelled wrong.....why?)
spot

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by spot »

Bruv;1484929 wrote: (Spoilt gets flagged as spelled wrong.....why?)The spell-checker probably wants you to use spoiled instead. The spell-checker is, of course, wrong, and quite likely American to boot.

Spoilt is a word that has much reduced in intensity over the centuries - see how it goes downhill all the way...

It started out "To strip or despoil (a dead or helpless person); esp. to strip (a defeated or slain enemy) of arms and armour". I like that one.

To strip (persons) of goods or possessions by violence or force; to plunder, rob, despoil.

To pillage or plunder (a country, city, house, ship, etc.); to clear of goods or valuables by the exercise of superior force; to ravage or sack. Common in the 17th century.

Of persons: To have the clothes damaged with mud.

To render (a ballot paper) invalid, as by improper marking, deliberate defacement, etc.; to invalidate (a vote) in this manner.

To injure in respect of character, esp. by over-indulgence or undue lenience. Also, in weakened sense, to treat with excessive consideration or kindness.

To become unfit for use; to deteriorate; to go bad, decay.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

So Mr Spot.......................words and their usage change ?
LarsMac

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1484941 wrote: So Mr Spot.......................words and their usage change ?

Where on Earth would you get an idea like THAT?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by spot »

Bruv;1484941 wrote: So Mr Spot.......................words and their usage change ?

One wouldn't want to lose the word. Spoilt is a good word, but the occasion in this day and age when one might "strip a defeated or slain enemy of arms and armour", or even discuss doing so, is rare indeed.

Did I manage to keep a straight face, saying that?

Probably not.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

spot;1484948 wrote: One wouldn't want to lose the word. Spoilt is a good word....

No worries, I shall do my best to retain it.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

More about my latest hero......Here
Snowfire

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1485449 wrote: More about my latest hero......Here

He's just gotta learn to give a straight answer. Stop all this obfuscating. How's a poor DM hack supposed to keep their knickers on when devising a headline.

A headline wouldnt turn heads if it stuck to what was actually said. The Daily Mail has a duty to its readers you know
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

Hope people listen to the content of what he says rather than just the headlines.

This is about the NHS and our aging population, makes a lot of sense to me Here
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

Bruv;1485484 wrote: Hope people listen to the content of what he says rather than just the headlines.

This is about the NHS and our aging population, makes a lot of sense to me Here

I just read the article, and I see corporations still aren't paying their proper dues, despite all the 'big talk' the Tories have been coming out with for years. Rather than

hold industry to account, they'd rather tax/penalize those poor folk who can't fight back, especially the old, and the disabled (they can't afford 'flashy' barristers..).

Pick a soft target, then hit it harder and harder!! Maybe they hope it'll break?

Some have broken. Over 2000 people have died since having various benefits denied.

The DWP didn't want the figures released; shows how much they care, or their

'paymasters'....
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

Smaug;1485485 wrote: The DWP didn't want the figures released; shows how much they care, or their 'paymasters'....

THESE figures do you mean ?

And Corbyn's stance HERE

Seriously......Jeremy could be the new Messiah, he could go on and save the world ?
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

Bruv;1485488 wrote:

THESE figures do you men ?

And Corbyn's stance HERE

Seriously......Jeremy could be the new Messiah, he could go on and save the world ?

Tell you what Bruv, I've never voted labour in my life, but I'll have to consider that option at the next general election. Trouble is, you never will agree on everything a party tries to implement. Having said that, does anyone? I'll see which party comes the closest (as I always do), then make my choice accordingly.

Thanks for the stats, Bruv. I'll see if I can find some stats on deaths after disability benefits stopped.

I doubt Jeremy will save the world, but I'll settle for him saving the UK....
G#Gill

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by G#Gill »

Are these the figures you are after, Smaug ?

I will admit to being one of the thousands of signatories involved in pushing the government to release these devastating figures.......................................I hope everybody reading this thread takes the trouble to read ALL this report...........

[More than 2,500 sick and disabled benefit claimants have died after being found 'fit for work' in just two years, shock figures reveal today.

The Tories have finally released the total - burying it under immigration figures - after 250,000 people signed a petition calling on them to end the cover-up. ]

More than 2,500 benefit claimants die after being found fit for work in just two years - Mirror Online
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

G#Gill;1485496 wrote: Are these the figures you are after, Smaug ?

I will admit to being one of the thousands of signatories involved in pushing the government to release these devastating figures.......................................I hope everybody reading this thread takes the trouble to read ALL this report...........

[More than 2,500 sick and disabled benefit claimants have died after being found 'fit for work' in just two years, shock figures reveal today.

The Tories have finally released the total - burying it under immigration figures - after 250,000 people signed a petition calling on them to end the cover-up. ]

More than 2,500 benefit claimants die after being found fit for work in just two years - Mirror Online

Thanks for the figures, G#Gill. I knew I'd seen 'em somewhere. Shocking. Back-door genocide? Even ASKING that particular question is a damning endictment for this government, let alone the scramble to suppress the figures for as long as possible!
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

Smaug;1485493 wrote: Tell you what Bruv, I've never voted labour in my life, but I'll have to consider that option at the next general election.

You should be ashamed of your self, but don't vote for the numpties if it's more of the same, only consider it if it's Corbyn.
gmc

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by gmc »

I've never voted labour in my life - the labour establishment in scotland was and is incredibly sleazy and corrupt I voted snp for the first time at the last election. During the refererendum debate you had some on the left of the labour party in favour of the union putting forth the old anti-nationalist internationalist socialst argument that was completely irrelevant an then the sexist bullying rhetoric of Jim Murphy, I'm willing to bet he lost the female vote. Corbyn might get back voters in scotland but I think most are so pissed off with labour and their narcissistic infighting he won't succeed.

Alex salmond standing down was a good move he was not exactly universally liked or respected his actions over the menie estate and donald trump for instance had he stayed the snp would have faded (IMO) in to despairing obscurity. If the tories win another election with only a third of the electorate again you will see the end of the union they just can't stop rubing it in can they it's like being governed by a bunch of public schoolboys .
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

Bruv;1485517 wrote: You should be ashamed of your self, but don't vote for the numpties if it's more of the same, only consider it if it's Corbyn.

Hitherto, Labour have not been, IMO, a cogent, electable party (in common with the other major parties). Labour under Corbyn could well be a different proposition; we'll see. Promising start,though.
Smaug

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Smaug »

gmc;1485540 wrote: I've never voted labour in my life - the labour establishment in scotland was and is incredibly sleazy and corrupt I voted snp for the first time at the last election. During the refererendum debate you had some on the left of the labour party in favour of the union putting forth the old anti-nationalist internationalist socialst argument that was completely irrelevant an then the sexist bullying rhetoric of Jim Murphy, I'm willing to bet he lost the female vote. Corbyn might get back voters in scotland but I think most are so pissed off with labour and their narcissistic infighting he won't succeed.

Alex salmond standing down was a good move he was not exactly universally liked or respected his actions over the menie estate and donald trump for instance had he stayed the snp would have faded (IMO) in to despairing obscurity. If the tories win another election with only a third of the electorate again you will see the end of the union they just can't stop rubing it in can they it's like being governed by a bunch of public schoolboys .

Can't argue with that, GMC. The tories are utterly out-of-touch with reality on a great many topics. I'll NEVER vote tory; bunch of elitist wannabe tyrants!

With genocidal undertones? Check out the mortality rate due to DLA denials (further up the thread). As for Labour alienating women (and most other Scottish voters, methinks), that's also 'bang on the mark'. The 'silver spoon' brigade seem hell-bent on destroying union power (again), just like 'Twatcher' in the 80's. A leopard doesn't change it's spots....
gmc

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by gmc »

Watched part of the labour leders debate on sky. I gather corbyn won hands down.
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1485629 wrote: Watched part of the labour leders debate on sky. I gather corbyn won hands down.

Of course he did, I had no doubt he would. Link HERE
Bruv

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by Bruv »

I watched Panorama tonight all about our Jeremy, and I thought the BBC was supposed to be left leaning.

It tried very hard to make him look extremely odd, even to showing him getting agitated and a bit angry in an interview.

What a hatchet job it was.
gmc

Jeremy Corbyn?

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1485851 wrote: I watched Panorama tonight all about our Jeremy, and I thought the BBC was supposed to be left leaning.

It tried very hard to make him look extremely odd, even to showing him getting agitated and a bit angry in an interview.

What a hatchet job it was.

It's supposed to be neutral in it's reporting currently it's seems very right wing biased in it's reporting. Itstarted when they caved in to labour over the dodgy dossier on iraq. too many pigs with their noses in the trough. If you watch the way some interviewers go after anyone on the left they tend to talk over them and ignore what they are actualy saying. Nick robertson should have lost his job over the deliberate editing during the scottis referendum campaign, unfortunately for him the full interview was on you tube but he still got away with it.

Return to “United Kingdom”